Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

29 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Ummm, not to fact check you or anything, but there are no emeralds. Kendra Scott sells costume jewelry that's mostly worthless garbage. There's not a single precious stone anywhere in her collection. It's a miracle she became as rich and famous as she did with mediocre, overpriced jewelry.

23 minutes ago, NoName said:

It's literally the first google result for Kendra Scott diamond necklace

IMG_0895.thumb.png.1aea0c547b2b48968b92f5a00dc88e47.png

I’d listen to him. He’s clearly coming from a place of personal experience and passionate preferences for the jewelry he wears. NTTIAWRT. Hornlover is to women’s jewelry as Satya is to masturbating at funerals. Clearly subject matter experts. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 9

Eric Nahlin: Answering a variety of Inside Texas subscriber questions

There’s plenty to get to from this week’s Four-down Territory Q&A. Who is the most important recruit not named Colin Simmons? What’s the current positional power poll? What recruiting territories could Texas give more emphasis? And what’s the most underrated storyline from this offseason? I’ll attempt to answer each of those questions with as much insight as I can muster.

OUTSIDE OF COLIN SIMMONS WHO IS THE TARGET SARK MUST LAND AND WHY? – Bruce_Leroy

Five-star wide receiver Ryan Wingo was the first name that popped into my mind but I’m not sure that’s the right answer. It’s either Wingo or three-star defensive tackle D’antre Robinson. While the star-gazers fall to their fainting couch I’ll note for the millionth time the importance of landing high-end big bodies in this class. Texas missed the boat last year and can’t afford to miss this season. Landing Alex January was a good start but it was just a start.

Robinson would provide the ability to play 1- or 3-tech which means he pairs with any other iDL in the class. Given his baseline strength and athleticism I think he could play early and that increases his value. Wingo is incredibly important. He’s a dynamic player given his size, speed, and physicality. Assuming Texas loses AD Mitchell after this year, Wingo would have the chance to shine the moment he arrived on campus. I just know receivers are easier to find than D-lineman who can play at a high level in the SEC. Defensive lineman TJ Lindsey is another prospect that makes sense to me given the need for bigs as well as a Jack.

REALLY ENJOY THE POSITION GROUP RANKINGS THAT YOU DO. IS IT TOO FAR AWAY TO PUT TOGETHER A ROUGH DRAFT OF YOUR 2024 POSITION RANKINGS? – cgsasquatch

[EDIT: Being so focused on 2023 I totally missed that he asked about 2024.] I’m going to keep this brief because I’ll re-write it again, maybe even twice, before the season starts.

CB: I’m including Star here because that’s how the coaches view the position. Experience, depth, talent, more depth.

WR: The AD Mitchell addition and promising info on Isaiah Neyor have me sky high on this position group. I also like the schematic adjustments made. I’m bullish on Jordan Whittington exhibiting more playmaking and Xavier Worthy more consistency. Corners and receivers are basically 1A and 1B to me.

iDL: Three All-Conference level players at a very important position. There’s also admirable depth.

QB: I’m buying Quinn Ewers‘ improvement while still underscoring he’s nowhere close to being a finished product. I also like the depth.

RB: Deep and talented, though not overly experienced or proven. They’ll benefit from a whole lot of other improvements on offense.

OL: The tackles will be great and there are talented options for Kyle Flood to improve the interior. The position is still a year away from being really good.

LB: Jaylan Ford is a known quality and I think David Gbenda and Morice Blackwell will buy Anthony Hill time to develop and focus on pass rushing.

TE: I guess I’ll put TE here. Ja’Tavion’s great but the rest of the room is a year away, outside of maybe Gunnar Helm.

S: There’s too much variability given Jalen Catalon‘s injury history. Also a couple other things we’ll discuss at a later time. Depth is okay, at least.

Edge: Barryn Sorrell is a quality starter but there’s not much depth or experience. I like Ethan Burke a lot but think he’s a year away.

IS THERE A REGION YOU’D LIKE TO SEE TEXAS RECRUIT HEAVIER? EITHER NATIONALLY OR IN STATE. – dale00

There are a few places I’d like to see them more active, but at the same time they go wherever they find a guy they like.

We’ve seen Kyle Flood take advantage of his time at Rutgers, now I’d like to see him work with Paul Chryst to hit Chryst’s old upper-Midwest stomping grounds. Chryst’s ability to keep very talented O-lineman from that region home was the foundation for his success at Wisconsin. The coaches would have to calculate how well that would work given the stark cultural differences but I’m sure Flood would welcome a little more ‘Wisconsin’ in his program.

Missouri. Elite athletes routinely emerge from the Show Me State, whether it’s St. Louis, Lee’s Summit, Kansas City, or parts unknown. Not only would a strong presence help Texas, it would hurt OU who has done well there over the years. Houston metro. Houston is way more cyclical in the talent it produces than DFW but the 2025 cycle will be one for the staff to hit the area pretty hard. Steve Sarkisian even said as much at one of his Houston speaking engagements this Spring.

WHAT’S YOUR MOST UNDERRATED STORY LINE FOR THE PROGRAM THIS SUMMER? – Brisketsammich

Depth. Fans fixate on who is going to start but that matters a whole lot less when you’re deep and talented, which Texas is at many positions. The best examples of that is defensive tackle, where Texas has three, maybe four starters (Trill Carter was an effective two-year starter in the Big Ten) for two positions and cornerback where there are four starters for two positions. Even behind these positions with ‘extra’ starters is quality depth.

Take it to wide receiver where Texas has four genuine starters for three positions, assuming Isaiah Neyor is 90% of what he was last August. Behind them you have future stars in Johntay Cook and DeAndre Moore and Casey Cain with another year under his belt. Texas can win games with any of the five running backs who were on the roster during the Spring.

The O-line has some questions about high-end quality for this year in the interior, but depth isn’t really an issue as Kyle Flood has 8 guys he can play this year. Edge is one position of concern with regards to depth but the coaches can do a couple of things to offset that concern. Linebacker has three seniors, Morice Blackwell, and two true freshmen that will be able to play. Safety has quality depth, assuming Jalen Catalon plays a fair amount and the light keeps coming on for B.J. Allen.

Look at all the attrition across the league then reread this section again. Depth is a huge benefit for Texas heading into the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, NoName said:

It's literally the first google result for Kendra Scott diamond necklace

IMG_0895.thumb.png.1aea0c547b2b48968b92f5a00dc88e47.png

Huh, I stand corrected. It appears there are a few Kendra items that have diamonds. The point still stands that she makes shitty costume jewelry.

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’d listen to him. He’s clearly coming from a place of personal experience and passionate preferences for the jewelry he wears. NTTIAWRT. Hornlover is to women’s jewelry as Satya is to masturbating at funerals. Clearly subject matter experts. 

Here's a helpful hint for you fellas about buying jewelry in Austin. Send your wife over to Russell Korman or Calvin's, and tell her to put 10-20 items on her wishlist.

Then, when it's your anniversary, or her birthday, or you want to go hunting, or you went on a 3-day hookers and blow bender over Texas/OU weekend that you need to apologize for - you just head over to Korman on your lunch break, and buy whichever item on the list is commensurate in price with the occasion.

Or, be like @SydneyCarton and get your wife Kendra Scott, or maybe some rinestones from Claire's.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

OU has shown up to meet the ask on Jackson. They were like 4th or 5th. Is OSU going to let that happen? Is he interested enough to take a deal that is what he wants, but at a school that he’d already told he was paring out of the final choices? 

I feel like there’s a lot we can take from that one. OU is pooling to get guys on the DL, where Venables knows he wants to build his foundation.  They’re getting aggressive, but they don’t have the money to do that everywhere. If OSU lets that happen, where do they redirect? If they don’t let that happen, they’re overpaying for someone that isn’t a top 5 target left on their list, and doing so with finite, but deep, resources. Finally, if Texas wound up being the pick, holy shit. 

Personally, I’m writing that one off. Now we’re exposed to Auburn’s willingness to go crazy. Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!

• Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Harold and Satya
It's Movie Time July 24, '20 Harold & Maude

Edited by cafe society
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Personally, I’m writing that one off. Now we’re exposed to Auburn’s willingness to go crazy. Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!

Previously you've mentioned there may be a school or 2 every cycle to go crazy and overpay. Is that Auburn this cycle? Based on their move with Blocton it seems like maybe?

11 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Huh, I stand corrected. It appears there are a few Kendra items that have diamonds. The point still stands that she makes shitty costume jewelry.

Here's a helpful hint for you fellas about buying jewelry in Austin. Send your wife over to Russell Korman or Calvin's, and tell her to put 10-20 items on her wishlist.

Then, when it's your anniversary, or her birthday, or you want to go hunting, or you went on a 3-day hookers and blow bender over Texas/OU weekend that you need to apologize for - you just head over to Korman on your lunch break, and buy whichever item on the list is commensurate in price with the occasion.

Or, be like @SydneyCarton and get your wife Kendra Scott, or maybe some rinestones from Claire's.

Lol. When I buy my wife jewelry I just go to Tiffany’s or Cartier. or better yet I tell her we’re going out and then let her pick her shop and run the show. 

But you keep trying to project because you voluntarily showed up on this thread unprompted and started talking about your very strong opinions on women’s jewelry. No one asked you to become the @NowThis of ladies’ jewelry but you bravely stepped into the breach, good sir.  No one else gives a fuck, but you die on that hill. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

Lol. I've kept my mouth shut about it, but there are some ominous similarities between this preseason and the 2019 one. We're again getting hyped up by the media a ton compared to what's realistic with our roster. Lots of departing starters from the front 7. Big loss in rushing production from the offensive side of the ball. Returning QB with very big expectations. Etc. Even in recruiting we're seeing a bigger divergence than normal between the top in-state recruits and the guys we're landing/pursuing, which means a return to the Herman days of hoping our evaluations hit on a lot of 3-stars/borderline 4-stars, an approach that was disastrous for the 2019 class.

You sure know how to take the fun out of funeral you know that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I understand Bo’s reputation, but defensive line recruiting has been a borderline dumpster fire since he got here. Which is a shame since it’s one of the few position groups fuckface actually left in relatively ok shape with Coburb, Sweat, Ojomo and Collins. 

This I was thinking the same thing Jake mcmillon

Edited by utfan87

30 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

What point do you think you are making here? 

I don’t think DL recruiting has been a “dumpster fire.” We’re in year 3, and year one was a Covid fuck show. We need more interior DL this class, and it looks like we’ll get them. Davis has landed some top ranked talent, including the recruits I listed. Sydir Mitchell’s offer list was A+ and we beat Georgia for him straight up. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t think DL recruiting has been a “dumpster fire.” We’re in year 3, and year one was a Covid fuck show. We need more interior DL this class, and it looks like we’ll get them. Davis has landed some top ranked talent, including the recruits I listed. 

To be fair to me, “borderline dumpster fire” was the phrase. But if you are happy with that list of recruits, god bless. 

1 minute ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

To be fair to me, “borderline dumpster fire” was the phrase. But if you are happy with that list of recruits, god bless. 

Ok, why are you unhappy with it? And who do you have problems with from that list? Educate the rest of us in detail. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Previously you've mentioned there may be a school or 2 every cycle to go crazy and overpay. Is that Auburn this cycle? Based on their move with Blocton it seems like maybe?

I don’t think it’s so much a school going crazy and buying a whole class a la aggy 2022.

It’s more like we’re now at risk of a particular program deciding that they HAVE to have a particular player and raising the bidding to a level that doesn’t make sense to us any more.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ok, why are you unhappy with it? And who do you have problems with from that list? Educate the rest of us in detail. 

These highly rated recruits with lots of commitable offers haven't flashed by sophomore year. The problem is clearly the recruiting.

Come on guys, we should be better at identifying issues like this at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m not interested in trashing our players further; certainly hope you’re right. Personally I’ll be surprised if we have anything more than an average interior in 2024 and 2025 absent an infusion of new talent. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t know much, but I do know Texas should be recruiting guys built like D. Robinson instead of guys built like Swanson heading into 2024. 

He was the last dude in the class. You do need a couple guys where if it all goes to shit won't hit the Portal.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He was the last dude in the class. You do need a couple guys where if it all goes to shit won't hit the Portal.

Still… if his recruiting profile and Texas Sports profile are anywhere close to accurate, Swanson has gained less than 15 pounds after 2 years in a P5 S&C program. 

I get it. He was a lottery ticket, but least buy a lottery ticket that weighs 300 pounds.

Still… if his recruiting profile and Texas Sports profile are anywhere close to accurate, Swanson has gained less than 15 pounds after 2 years in a P5 S&C program. 

I get it. He was a lottery ticket, but least buy a lottery ticket that weighs 300 pounds.

They can’t all be Herman Muenster
  • Haha 2

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls