Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

15 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Simmons is clearly the #1 battle this cycle Texas NIL/Sark has to win. We are competing against an SEC school for him too, which are recruiting battles we’ll need to win as we enter the SEC. 

You're not wrong, but this is a perfect example of TexAgs poster house style.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I mentioned that awhile ago. Gerry kept hinting about McKinley. He has said he is like Collins in more way, than just talent. He explicitly mentioned motor or drive, but that was the 1st thing that came to mind. 5 star talent with a questionable desire to maximize it. 

The desire to be a computer science major at UT is a dead giveaway. 

28 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

This has been a trend for several of the top DT's the past few cycles it seems. Immensely physically gifted, but drive may not be there. Was the same thing for that DT that signed with A&M last cycle whos dad was driving the recruitment. Hicks I think?

Thinking of Walter Nolen? He gives me Albert Haynesworth vibes. 

57 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hicks was the one that Bo thought was kind of a big bitch.

I knew his Dad was heavily involved but didn’t remember that about him. I just remember that Nolen was unstoppable when properly motivated but that wasn’t often. 

The Collins/McKinley thing seems more of a “nice kids from good families” thing which speaks well for their future in life, but isn’t what you typically see in dominant defensive linemen. 

24 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I knew his Dad was heavily involved but didn’t remember that about him. I just remember that Nolen was unstoppable when properly motivated but that wasn’t often. 

The Collins/McKinley thing seems more of a “nice kids from good families” thing which speaks well for their future in life, but isn’t what you typically see in dominant defensive linemen. 

That is not the impression I got from Gerry at all. He has mentioned McKinley several times and I have gotten the feeling he thinks he is over-rated. He has not said anything explicitly, but there is definitely something holding him back. I am trying to remember the exact quote, when someone asked for a McKinley comp. I believe he said something like "He has Alfred Collins athletic talent. He is like Collins in more than one way (or lot of ways)". If you have followed Gerry, you know Alfred Collins is the cross he has to bear. He has called for Collins to break out every year, except this one. Saying he can not go there again, until Collins proves it on the field. 

Edited by Codaxx

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Of course not, you borderline overly-literal autist. The guy is basically saying the same thing you are and somehow you're trying to argue with him about it. Newsflash, motivation is a factor that Gerry and many others take into account when tryingt to grade the likelihood of a kid's success. Nice kids from good families, motivation/drive, hunger. Call it whatever the fuck you want. "Thats not a hot dog, it's a frankfurter! Totally different!" For fuck's sake. 

Perhaps you should cut your caffeine intake. I dont take nice kid from a good family to mean lazy, but each to their own. 

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Perhaps you should cut your caffeine intake. I dont take nice kid from a good family to mean lazy, but each to their own. 

That's because when they programmed the WOPR, apparently Professor Falken didn't give you the ability to recognize context and read between lines. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's because when they programmed the WOPR, apparently Professor Falken didn't give you the ability to recognize context and read between lines. 

You need to cut back your caffeine in-take. Ill explain it, so you dont have any further heart palpitations. Long time ago I was coaching. Another coach came up to me and said, "you have some hitters in that group". I said, "No". He said "45 and 23 can really tackle". I said they are good form tacklers, but they do not love to hit. There is a difference".  He immediately said, "I know what you mean". That is what I take from nice kid from a nice family. Someone that lacks that little bit of crazy, that makes a killer player (especially on the OL or defense)

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

You do have a fantastic habit of elevating the discussion here. Keep it up. 

You're not elevating discussion. You're literally talking to yourself, arguing with people who are saying the same thing you're saying, and making the same unfunny joke about caffeine intake, thinking you've really hit something hilarious there. There's no discussion to be had here for anyone. I'm mocking you in an attempt to end this misery for everyone. 

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Anna Adams (Clemson 247), on Corian Gipson.

image.thumb.png.4cafe26e4bd68023d5db3ba538ad3536.png

Way too much Hemming and hawing.  Taking its toll on me.  Guess she's saying it's not a Donne deal, huh?

Is there a difference between "hopeful if not confident" and "optimistic"?  I guess I'd rather be confident than optimistic, but I'd rather be optimistic than hopeful.

34 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Anna Adams (Clemson 247), on Corian Gipson.

image.thumb.png.4cafe26e4bd68023d5db3ba538ad3536.png

Way too much Hemming and hawing.  Taking its toll on me.  Guess she's saying it's not a Donne deal, huh?

This chick needs to stop providing non-update updates on this recruitment when her only source appears to be a colleague.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

You two goofballs. Good grief. 

To be clear, Gerry would take McKinley every day and twice on Sunday if he had to pick 5 interior DL for this class for any program. But yeah, McKinley is not an animal. Just don't overthink it. Which, given who I am typing at, is probably impossible, but oh well.

I am confident that Codaxx is going to feel compelled to further respond and elaborate on his "point" around McKinley. I am hopeful that Sydney will shut the fuck up about it from here forward, but not optimistic that that will occur.

Listen man, I was winding down the best I'm capable by switching to memes and gifs, but if it's going to make your left eye start twitching uncontrollably again, I'll happily tag back in at Petrino speed and wreck this thread accordingly.

Lsufreek GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

• Haha 9

32 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

You need to cut back your caffeine in-take. Ill explain it, so you dont have any further heart palpitations. Long time ago I was coaching. Another coach came up to me and said, "you have some hitters in that group". I said, "No". He said "45 and 23 can really tackle". I said they are good form tacklers, but they do not love to hit. There is a difference".  He immediately said, "I know what you mean". That is what I take from nice kid from a nice family. Someone that lacks that little bit of crazy, that makes a killer player (especially on the OL or defense)

Note for the future, when arguing your ability to read for content is superior to another, always leave this part out.

• Haha 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

You two goofballs. Good grief. 

To be clear, Gerry would take McKinley every day and twice on Sunday if he had to pick 5 interior DL for this class for any program. But yeah, McKinley is not an animal. Just don't overthink it. Which, given who I am typing at, is probably impossible, but oh well.

I am confident that Codaxx is going to feel compelled to further respond and elaborate on his "point" around McKinley. I am hopeful that Sydney will shut the fuck up about it from here forward, but not optimistic that that will occur.

I totally agree on Gerry, Texas, and any schools taking him 8 days a week. Same with Collins. Both have NFL 1st round talent. Comment was more there are risk that may not make him a 5 star, than this is guy you should pass on. 

43 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You're wrong Dr. McKittrick. His name is Joshua, not WOPR, and I didn't call him.....he called me!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hoo, boy. 

LSU 247 on their end of July pool party.  3 huge targets for LSU - Simmons, Mack, McKinley.   Two from Louisiana.  Two of three have confirmed attendance.

image.thumb.png.9d8de98e069325725fe767a0b34085de.png

Whens the date of the LSU pool party and the aTm pool party? They're both Late July, are they the same weekend. Because if so, the Simmons tears over there will be wonderful. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Whens the date of the LSU pool party and the aTm pool party? They're both Late July, are they the same weekend. Because if so, the Simmons tears over there will be wonderful. 

LSU is the 28th (Friday).

image.thumb.png.3cd3cd2f7bcef438a0a3158a34083e07.png

The Aggies have their event the same weekend;  it could be Saturday the 29th.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

LSU is the 28th (Friday).

image.thumb.png.3cd3cd2f7bcef438a0a3158a34083e07.png

The Aggies have their event the same weekend;  it could be Saturday the 29th.  

You ever try to party one night in Louisiana and then make it back to Texas the next day for another party? There will be flat tires and missed rides to aggy apartment pool party.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Really hope we can land Baker.  Need a stud OT to take over for Banks in two years.  Maybe Goosby is ready by then?

IT guys seem convinced that Baker is strictly a right tackle. That is the position he plays in high school.

Cam Williams just may be the replacement at LT after he spends a year at RT.

• Hook 'Em 3

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls