Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

That's nice but do they not plan on announcing publicly until NSD1? I keep hearing Missouri is a real threat for Wingo.

They've both been talking about Decemberish-commit dates, but the belief among some of our smarter 9.95ers is that they'll announce earlier. The general thinking is also that they're silent commits. Missouri was/is a threat because show-me-state HS commits can start getting NIL funding after they commit, but since Wingo is December graduate that is effectively 2.5 months at this point so the advantage is fading by the day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, ousux said:
19 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:
Fucjing slides and socks lol.  The baseball jersey is legit AF

I'm digging that as well. He also shows superior intelligence versus most teenage boys who wear shit like a hoody in 100+ weather.

Counterpoint: he’s wearing a knit hat in 100+ weather.  

24 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Don't follow recruiting too closely, so I apologize in advance to the recruiting czars on this board for my ignorance. Have Wingo and Black announced commitments dates yet, or are they going to make us sweat til the end?

I know its easy to say "well Missouri is a threat as longa s Wingo isn't publicly comitted," however I believe CTJ posted out previously, with the new NIL law in Missouri that says a recruit can get paid when they are committed to a school, not enrolled, Wingo is literally losing out on money with every day that passes that he hasn't committed to them. Personally that makes me feel better that this isn't just a straight up mercenary recruitment.

Also, the staff sure picked a hell of a game to host Carter for. I was constantly impressed with the lanes our O-line was making. Especially on that Brooks long TD where Majors and Campbell absolutely demolished the DT.

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

…with the new NIL law in Missouri that says a recruit can get paid when they are committed to a school, not enrolled, Wingo is literally losing out on money with every day that passes that he hasn't committed to them.

Close, but inaccurate.

ACCURATE:
When a Missouri high school player (1) signs financial assistance paperwork with an instate college, (2) then that player can start collecting NIL for whatever they can pull money in from.

(3) This is not “publicly committing to a school.”

(4) Signing the papers and accepting NIL does not tie them to the in-state school.

(5) In theory Wingo could sign papers with Mizzou and then go to UT in January.

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Close, but inaccurate.

ACCURATE:
When a Missouri high school player (1) signs financial assistance paperwork with an instate college, (2) then that player can start collecting NIL for whatever they can pull money in from.

(3) This is not “publicly committing to a school.”

(4) Signing the papers and accepting NIL does not tie them to the in-state school.

(5) In theory Wingo could sign papers with Mizzou and then go to UT in January.

Thank you for the correction!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

That's nice but do they not plan on announcing publicly until NSD1? I keep hearing Missouri is a real threat for Wingo.

So you don’t follow recruiting but you keep hearing Missouri is a threat for Wingo? Are these the voices in your head or are you lying about not following recruiting? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Don't follow recruiting too closely, so I apologize in advance to the recruiting czars on this board for my ignorance. Have Wingo and Black announced commitments dates yet, or are they going to make us sweat til the end?

Better to keep lurking and be thought a fool than to post and remove all doubt

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - Gerry (IT) said today:

After 2022 Texas brought in:

P Ryan Sanborn

DT Trill Carter

WR Adonai Mitchell

DB Gavin Holmes

S Jalen Catalon

Must already have guys reaching out or maybe we are having discussions through back channels?  

What are we going to be looking for?  Obviously a DL or two.  Safety and TE come to mind.  LB and WR?

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

WR

TE

DL

K

P

If Brooks leaves, I’d snag at RB

Brooks is most definitely leaving, but RB is not a need with what is returning in the room. That could change if one of Blue, Red, or Wisner leave.

WR and TE are the biggest offensive needs, and IDL is the biggest defensive need.

If Auburn continues to shank the 40-45 rangers, and Stone isn't given a shot, then a K will be needed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shonen said:

Brooks won't test off the charts at a pro day and is too young for a Senior Bowl invite, so unless he goes for like 1800 yds and wins the Doak, I just don't see him leaving for the NFL as a RS-So. 

It’s about getting to that second contract in the NFL. Doesn’t really matter where he is drafted. Not being a first round pick is advantageous for RB’s IMO since they are generally considered washed by 27ish.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1