Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

(Hank South, on Dimitry Nicolas.)

Intel on an interesting new 2024 offer out tonight

Hank South (Horns 247)

Spoiler

Intel on an interesting new 2024 offer out tonight

Hank South (Horns 247)

Texas has quietly been keeping an eye on Auburn DL pledge Dimitry Nicolas. Bo Davis is high on his versatility along the defensive line. The offer came through tonight. As for a potential official visit, nothing is set but it's a possibility this fall. It sounds like this is an offer that got his attention.

Nicolas' coach is Texas A&M DL Shemar Stewart's dad. Right now he's firm with Auburn. But again, a lot of schools are starting to take notice of Nicolas five games into his senior season.

I'll have more on him in the AM.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, HtownHorn said:

That's not what he is saying. He's saying that if it was up to him, he would question Robinson's ability to be a talent maximizer and stick with the development when he can't be honest about taking visits to other programs. 

His opinion may be the same as the Texas staff has currently, but he never said that implicitly or explicitly. 

Gerry's tone has changed a lot in the past 24 hours on Robinson, it is easy to read between the lines after he dug deeper, talk to staff, whatever. The fact a new DL offer went out is also pretty telling.

1 minute ago, Rokotosh said:

Gerry's tone has changed a lot in the past 24 hours on Robinson, it is easy to read between the lines after he dug deeper, talk to staff, whatever. The fact a new DL offer went out is also pretty telling.

Yes, but he also said multiple times this is solely his opinion. "These kids talk to the coaches multiple times a week, so [Robinson] had multiple chances to tell the coaching staff about the visit and didn't." In the age of the portal this is an important data point.

He also made a point to say that Sweat (660) and Murphy (380) are alpha DL because they stuck it out despite their lower recruit rankings. His whole point was you want alpha DL, and what Robinson did is a negative data point.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes, but he also said multiple times this is solely his opinion. "These kids talk to the coaches multiple times a week, so [Robinson] had multiple chances to tell the coaching staff about the visit and didn't." In the age of the portal this is an important data point.

He also made a point to say that Sweat (660) and Murphy (380) are alpha DL because they stuck it out despite their lower recruit rankings. His whole point was you want alpha DL, and what Robinson did is a negative data point.

He also said the coaching staff likely talks to him and just remind him to let them know moving forward if he's planning on taking other visits.

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

thinks about all the players Surly stamped as negative fits

Well if he has negative data points I want him!!! 1st round pick Bound!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

DIMITRI NICOLAS apparently is not the first generation Slav son of Eastern European immigrants that I thought he might be.

My updated opinion could be wrong, but I don't think so.

The wait for the next Eastern Bloc descent DL prospect continues.

image.thumb.png.5a8b96786f096dca500a54a4f5204328.png

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

DIMITRI NICOLAS apparently is not the first generation Slav son of Eastern European immigrants that I thought he might be.

My updated opinion could be wrong, but I don't think so.

The wait for the next Eastern Bloc descent DL prospect continues.

image.thumb.png.5a8b96786f096dca500a54a4f5204328.png

From the last cycle, where is that big German DL out of Cali playing this year?

On 9/24/2023 at 9:00 PM, campcrunk said:

Williams, Goosby, Agbo, and now Baker with an outside shot at Weston Davis and DeAndre Carter. Not to mention Campbell, Umeozulu, Cruz, Kibble, Chatman, Kirkland, Stroh, Cojoe, Hutson, and Robinson - and they're all being coached and developed by Flood. Talk about a First World Problem. This OL is going to be absolutely filthy for years. We could have Vondrell McGree, Antwon Cobb, Tristian Houston, Kyle Porter, Danny Young, or Toneil Carter runnning behind them and probably still average more than 5 ypc. Hell, post-injury Kevin Shorter could probably get 4 or even 4.5. Instead, we've got or are getting Brooks, Baxter, Gibson, Clark, and even guys like Blue and Red (who I would desparately like to see get more carries, btw)

Someone hit the nail on the head: this is how Bama and Georgia were built. 

Kyle Porter ain’t running for 5+ YPC behind any line. The young man is unfortunately blind.

• Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

SIAP,

Wingo canceled his CU visit for this weekend and will not reschedule per 247 sports

Funny enough is that coincides with the aggy 5 star WR commit deciding to schedule a visit to Col...

Deon didn't want to fight the Longhorn NIL, but bilbo baggins aint no thing

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Wingo committed last weekend. Black committed in July or August, can't remember. Texas will keep recruiting both like nothing can be taken for granted, but there is a lot of focus on getting guys committed to other schools and just letting some things play out. 

We've talked about Texas circling back on various DBs as the season moves forward. At this point, I think Myles Davis and Wardell Mack are going to get more attention than Gipson for various reasons. If ATM or Florida collapses in ways that either program could, that would be the guy I'd pick as the favorite.

I think for a safety prospect I like Davis a bit more than Gipson.

• Like 1