Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

Posted an article with quotes on Davon Mitchell's Top 5, in the '25 thread.

An FYI below, since it may impact '24.

https://247sports.com/Player/Davon-Mitchell-46131020/

(By the time the next class commits, it will have been 3 years since we landed a high school TE ranked in the Top 750 overall ... really hope we get some elite ones in the next couple of classes.)

image.thumb.png.f6ad507332435a9710770e263c0afc93.png

• Hook 'Em 2

Gerry with some updates on a trio of IMG prospects

Spoiler

Jerrick Gibson, RB, Gainesville (Fla.) IMG Academy

Gibson remains a Texas lean. The relationship with Texas running backs coach Tashard Choice is his best among position coaches. There has been talk about when Gibson will make his decision. Gibson said today that he plans to announce a decision this summer. Before his senior season.

There has been a change in the No. 37 ranked prospect overall’s official visit plans. Alabama has been replaced June 9-11 by the Miami Hurricanes. Miami joins Georgia June 2-4, Tennessee June 16-18 and Texas June 23-25 as official visits prior to a decision.

Every person talked to around the IMG Academy program would be surprised if Gibson didn’t end up at Texas. Gibson talks to Texas freshman running back Cedric Baxter Jr. regularly.

Tashard Choice has already been to IMG Academy once in the spring evaluation period, and is scheduled to be back May 17 for the IMG Academy spring game.

Jayden Jackson, DL, Brownsburg (In.) IMG Academy

The April 7 visit to Texas had a true impact on the 6-foot-2, 290-pounder. That comes from multiple sources close to the IMG Academy program. In fact, one source said Jackson has Texas at the top of his list headed into June official visits. That is not Inside Texas reporting that, to be clear. The official visits will be key, especially ones to Ohio State and Miami.

Jackson has built a very good relationship with Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis, and is in contact with Texas signees Liona Lefau and Tausili Akana regularly. The Texas visit more than lived up to his expectations.

Jackson isn’t ready to announce his June official visit schedule yet, but IT believes Texas will make an official visit June 23-25.

Jackson released his top five Wednesday morning. That list consisted of Ohio State, Texas, Miami, Florida and Oklahoma.

IT has Ohio State, Texas and Miami as the best shots to win out. Florida fourth and Oklahoma an unknown until he makes an official visit. IMG Academy 5-star David Stone, an Oklahoma lean, is helping the Sooners cause with Jackson. The Buckeyes have long been the favorite of the midwest schools, Texas is surging and Miami has a pair of teammates from IMG Academy that signed with the Hurricanes in the 2023 cycle.

Jordon Johnson-Rubell, S, Fort Worth (Texas) Brewer

Texas safeties coach Blake Gideon has already been to IMG Academy once this spring, and is expected back for the spring game May 17. The 5-foot-11, 180-pounder said he has seen Gideon “what feels like 30 times” since his freshman season at Brewer High. Gideon and Steve Sarkisian have left no doubt that Johnson-Rubell is wanted in the Texas program.

The On3 Industry Ranking 4-star has now locked in an official visit to Alabama June 9-11. USC begins the official visits June 2-4, with Ohio State June 16-18 and Texas June 23-25. TCU safeties coach Paul Gonzales attended IMG Academy practice Wednesday, and the Frogs are working to get the fifth official visit.

Inside Texas continues to believe the Longhorns are the favorite to land the instinctive safety. USC’s Donte Williams is putting in work for the Trojans, and Johnson-Rubell did mention Wednesday that he was believer in Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma. Ohio State safeties coach Perry Eliano is a Texas native, and is a position coach that has a positive connection.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry with some updates on a trio of IMG prospects

Hide contents

Jerrick Gibson, RB, Gainesville (Fla.) IMG Academy

Gibson remains a Texas lean. The relationship with Texas running backs coach Tashard Choice is his best among position coaches. There has been talk about when Gibson will make his decision. Gibson said today that he plans to announce a decision this summer. Before his senior season.

There has been a change in the No. 37 ranked prospect overall’s official visit plans. Alabama has been replaced June 9-11 by the Miami Hurricanes. Miami joins Georgia June 2-4, Tennessee June 16-18 and Texas June 23-25 as official visits prior to a decision.

Every person talked to around the IMG Academy program would be surprised if Gibson didn’t end up at Texas. Gibson talks to Texas freshman running back Cedric Baxter Jr. regularly.

Tashard Choice has already been to IMG Academy once in the spring evaluation period, and is scheduled to be back May 17 for the IMG Academy spring game.

The April 7 visit to Texas had a true impact on the 6-foot-2, 290-pounder. That comes from multiple sources close to the IMG Academy program. In fact, one source said Jackson has Texas at the top of his list headed into June official visits. That is not Inside Texas reporting that, to be clear. The official visits will be key, especially ones to Ohio State and Miami.

Jackson has built a very good relationship with Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis, and is in contact with Texas signees Liona Lefau and Tausili Akana regularly. The Texas visit more than lived up to his expectations.

Jackson isn’t ready to announce his June official visit schedule yet, but IT believes Texas will make an official visit June 23-25.

Jackson released his top five Wednesday morning. That list consisted of Ohio State, Texas, Miami, Florida and Oklahoma.

IT has Ohio State, Texas and Miami as the best shots to win out. Florida fourth and Oklahoma an unknown until he makes an official visit. IMG Academy 5-star David Stone, an Oklahoma lean, is helping the Sooners cause with Jackson. The Buckeyes have long been the favorite of the midwest schools, Texas is surging and Miami has a pair of teammates from IMG Academy that signed with the Hurricanes in the 2023 cycle.

Jordon Johnson-Rubell, S, Fort Worth (Texas) Brewer

Texas safeties coach Blake Gideon has already been to IMG Academy once this spring, and is expected back for the spring game May 17. The 5-foot-11, 180-pounder said he has seen Gideon “what feels like 30 times” since his freshman season at Brewer High. Gideon and Steve Sarkisian have left no doubt that Johnson-Rubell is wanted in the Texas program.

The On3 Industry Ranking 4-star has now locked in an official visit to Alabama June 9-11. USC begins the official visits June 2-4, with Ohio State June 16-18 and Texas June 23-25. TCU safeties coach Paul Gonzales attended IMG Academy practice Wednesday, and the Frogs are working to get the fifth official visit.

Inside Texas continues to believe the Longhorns are the favorite to land the instinctive safety. USC’s Donte Williams is putting in work for the Trojans, and Johnson-Rubell did mention Wednesday that he was believer in Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma. Ohio State safeties coach Perry Eliano is a Texas native, and is a position coach that has a positive connection.

Jackson has built a very good relationship with Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis, and is in contact with Texas signees Liona Lefau and Tausili Akana regularly.

Preparing myself for multiple Polynesian ties posts

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/2/2023 at 11:06 AM, Hookem2147 said:

Spiegelman with an RPM to Texas for this Louisiana DL. 55% confidence.

https://www.on3.com/db/melvin-hills-155313/

http://www.hudl.com/v/2JLLWq

FWIW, the recruiting board on Tigerdroppings has a thread about Hills and most posters and ones who have seen him play think he's pretty legit and could be pretty good once he gets to the college level.

• Hook 'Em 3

So I just scanned through the 247composite top 100 kids in Texas and there were 3 classified as DL (non-edge guys): Dealyn Evans (A&M commit), Nigel Smith and Joseph Jonah-Ajonye (who is telling teams he wants to be recruited as an edge player, so he may not even count).

Seems like that position is way weaker than usual in-state this year. Would be pretty pleased if we grabbed January and then 2-3 of these OOS guys we are after. Easier said than done but we seem to have legit traction with a few.

Edited by Hookem2147

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Him and his brother are a package deal kind of thing is what Gerry thinks if I recall 

Which one is his brother?  Is he the one that looks like 2 Jaydens stuffed into 1 giant human?

FtYdNS3WcAQ4_qt.jpeg

Edited by walker
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, walker said:

Which one is his brother?  Is he the one that looks like 2 Jaydens stuffed into 1 giant human?

FtYdNS3WcAQ4_qt.jpeg

Holy shit I'm stupid...But the guy above reminds me of that dude who just got drafted from USC

I'm thinking of the McKinley brothers out of Louisiana, Dominick is the #1 player in Louisiana

https://247sports.com/Player/Dominick-McKinley-46136918/

https://247sports.com/Player/Darryus-McKinley-46141304/

They have their own duo Twitter account as well

https://twitter.com/BrothasMckinley?s=20

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I would take Johnny Lawrence's stunt double over Jordan Washington without question. He is a good pass catching option but would have a very long way to go in the physical development. 

Edited by Vertigo

10 hours ago, Bevo said:

I didn't see a whole lot of wiggle on that film but I saw enough, and he is one of the fastest guys I have ever seen on the football field.

With him being 5-9, 160 and speedy, I have to wonder if he's Bremen Thompson against better competition. 

8 hours ago, TheContractor said:

Agree, Neto should start at LG but he does have to improve some in next 4 months. I think he is more physical.

If Neto doesnt win tye job outright in fall camp. Conner gets pulled after his 2nd false start penalty.   So, early Bama game

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

9 hours ago, TheContractor said:

Agree, Neto should start at LG but he does have to improve some in next 4 months. I think he is more physical.

I thought in the spring outside of Banks/Jones that Neto was the best OL on the field. I'm sure Burt, Codaxx, or someone else will be here to tell me i'm stupid, wrong, and to stfu while eating a bag of dicks like bob stoops but that's just my opinion. 

25 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I thought in the spring outside of Banks/Jones that Neto was the best OL on the field. I'm sure Burt, Codaxx, or someone else will be here to tell me i'm stupid, wrong, and to stfu while eating a bag of dicks like bob stoops but that's just my opinion. 

I dont take spring very seriously. It is just as much about who you are playing against, than how you performed. Way too much work to bother with, that is why I think most the takes on the spring game are bat shit crazy. I will always root for guys like Neto and Campbell  to win the starting job. They represent the ceiling at the position. Conner and Hutson represent the floor. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You keep saying this, but he wasn’t running with the ones and spring and it sounds like the staff would rather try to find a way to get Williams on the field at G over Neto. I hope he develops and it would be great if won the starting job, but there’s been nothing to show so far to support him  winning it by fall camp. I also think guard’s his worst position. He’s a better athlete than mauler/anchor, so T or C would be better fits for him. 

You’re stupid and wrong. STFU. 

IT guys keep pumping Neto as a run blocker, but I am 100% with you at center. I would have loved to have seen him at center. Feel like Texas has had 1 center for the last 12 years. He starts as freshmen and plays for 4 years with little to no depth behind him. I think center/LT are the most important positions on the OL (I lean center, but understand anyone saying LT). Just does not seem that Texas has shared my belief the last decade. 

5 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I’m not so sure, BO&W has spent the entire spring grinding out hours of OL film study. He’s certainly not just regurgitating other people’s bullshit he read on IT. 

Are you insinuating he's the Daddy98 of The Surl?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

IT guys keep pumping Neto as a run blocker, but I am 100% with you at center. I would have loved to have seen him at center. Feel like Texas has had 1 center for the last 12 years. He starts as freshmen and plays for 4 years with little to no depth behind him. I think center/LT are the most important positions on the OL (I lean center, but understand anyone saying LT). Just does not seem that Texas has shared my belief the last decade. 

I bet we see Hutson get run at center in fall camp.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls