USMNT 2021

Napoleon

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

We have a back who plays for fucking BARCELONA that got 0 minutes today. 

BARCA.

Hey man.  Who the fuck do you think you are?  There are DESERVING MLS lifers that need playing time.  And you want to put a guy on that actually has talent and plays for one of the top teams in the world?  The fuck is wrong with you?

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

I get what we're trying to do with squad rotation and don't entirely hate the lineup we put out (though I'm surprised Pepi and Roldan didn't start, and don't understand Moore over Yedlin at all), but all 5 subs seems like they were pre planned with that rotation in mind and there was zero response to what was actually happening on the field (other than maybe Adams coming on at half). Acosta was the worst player on the field, Bello doesn't look like he belongs on this level (though that's more of a player pool issue), and Lletget was completely anonymous but those three all played 90. That's not how any of this should work even with the reality of heavy rotation.

That last 15 minutes of us just booting the ball with no plan while Panama wasted time (even the ball boys running away with the ball?) was a fucking beating to watch.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

I get what we're trying to do with squad rotation and don't entirely hate the lineup we put out (though I'm surprised Pepi and Roldan didn't start, and don't understand Moore over Yedlin at all),

To add - Pepi can and should start every game. He's 18. He can play 200 minutes in a week. It isn't a big deal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Angry 30 Rock GIF

More sensible posters, am I overreacting?  We haven't picked up enough points early on and seem to be flirting with disaster again.  Which is riskier, staying with this underwhelming regime that might barely get us to the WC or disrupting things at this stage?

Edited by Bodhi

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

how much money do we need to yank Arsene Wenger away from FIFA? this young team is perfect for him. 

As if the USSF would ever allow a foreign manager for the USMNT. Klinsmann was the pseudo-exception as he had been living in California since the 90s.

This was such a shit fest that I just watched Sunday Night Football and storm coverage rather than even thinking about venting. 

If the objective was to not score any goals and to be weak in the back & midfield, the managerial decisions were perfect for accomplishing that.

I have never seen Acosta with a more brutal first touch. I have never seen Zardes more lost. I have never seen worse attempts at playing a through ball on the ground…

This evening’s match was pathetic. 

Also, what does Matt Turner do all day that he doesn’t have any time to work on his first touch? Holy Shit he looks like a spastic chimp when not stopping shots. 👀

• Hook 'Em 1

Here are our minutes leaders through 2 games (not incl. Turner - not incl. stoppage time):

Zimmerman - 180

Arriola - 135

Adams - 128

Musah - 122

Aaronson - 113

Acosta - 97

Pepi - 91

M. Robinson - 90

A. Robinson (inactive @Panama) - 90

Lletget - 90

W. McKennie (inactive @Panama) - 90

Bello - 90

M. McKenzie - 90

Weah - 90

Zardes - 89

Moore - 81

Dest - 77

de la Torre - 23

Roldan - 22

Yedlin - 22

Richards - 0

Hoppe - 0

S. Johnson (not active Jamaica) - 0

Busio (not active Jamaica) - 0

There are about 7 or 8 things on here that are criminal that should never fucking happen but I'm not going to list out all of my thoughts - I'm just going to highlight the most egregious which is HOW IN THE MOTHERFUCKING FUCK DO YOU ONLY PLAY DEST 77 MINS IN 2 FUCKING WCQ GAMES THAT HE'S AVAILABLE FOR YOU BALD, LIMP-DICKED SHELL OF A FUCKING COACH? IF YOU DON'T LIKE HIS DEFENSE PLAY HIM IN MIDFIELD OR ON THE WING YOU STUPID SACK OF SHIT. 

Oh - right - and it isn't like he didn't play a near perfect cross into the box to put the game-winner against Jamaica on the board.

Y'all are welcome to flesh out the rest of the issues. *cough* Hoppe *cough* Arriola.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

One more because I can't help myself - I have no issues with playing Zimmerman 180 as we are paper thin at CB - however, if you are willing to lean on one guy for 180 then why the fuck do 2 of our studs that were available for both matches have less than 100 minutes? Especially when one of them is a fucking STRIKER (who's 18 years old and doesn't have an ounce of fat on him). 

Edited by ztejas

This tells you all that you need to know in 2 minutes and 11 seconds.

2 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Don't have 2 minutes and 11 seconds to spare?...

This tells you all that you need to know if a fucking gif!

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

Look at this backpassing waste of a player.   Absolutely maddening 

Hole E. Fuckeen Sheet!!

The MLS teams should practice on fields that are 80% to 90% the size of a standard field so that the importance of playing quickly is smashed into their mother fucking LIFER MLS skulls!

That Kellyn Acosta first touch where the ball should die at his feet, but instead shoots up to above his head... absolves all my regret over the Hunts not selling him to Europe when he was 19. There isn't a 1st division league in Europe where a midfielder can have a first touch like that.

Why every MLS team doesn't have 2 to 10 of these for their first team players and their academies (and their fucking GOAL KEEPERS) is beyond me.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

This is a terrible video to illustrate the points he's trying to make. As the dude says, even in the US's "slow" play, they are setting up a dangerous attacking chance with a numbers advantage. That just gets fucked by Acosta's awful touch. The whole "see, this is what you get with MLS players, they play slow" and then contrasting this play with a play with involves two MLS players playing big roles? Lol, that uh, doesn't demonstrate that point at all.

11 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

This is a terrible video to illustrate the points he's trying to make. As the dude says, even in the US's "slow" play, they are setting up a dangerous attacking chance with a numbers advantage. That just gets fucked by Acosta's awful touch. The whole "see, this is what you get with MLS players, they play slow" and then contrasting this play with a play with involves two MLS players playing big roles? Lol, that uh, doesn't demonstrate that point at all.

I don't have an issue with anything he said. Acosta fucks it up and loses the ball because we are passing it back to him instead of already being in the box. 

There was nothing dangerous about that at all. We barely got the ball into the final 3rd.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, goatsaag said:

It demonstrates that despite how pathetically slow the US players are to move the ball, they can still progress to a dangerous situation because of how poor Panama is.  If the US moved the ball with speed and precision, their advantage would have been even greater because less Panamanians would have recovered to defensive positions.  #3 and #15 on the left side are brought back into the play by Arriola hesitating and Acosta's stupid pass to Zardes (who actually does relatively well) instead of to Musah or directly to Lletget.  Lletget completely ends the play by cutting back instead of going one-on-one.  If Lletget gets past that defender, the CB has to make a tough decision whether to come to Lletget and leave Weah basically open on goal.  If you can't take on a Panama defender in that one-on-one situation, you shouldn't play for the USMNT.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

It's emblematic of playing safe by design (ggg's awful tactics) instead of putting the opposition under pressure, the slow pace of play of the MLS lifers (players who came to the US and will never get back to Europe) and a lack of confidence/skill of the MLS lifers in attacking.  These weaknesses combine in a shit stew to somehow provide Panama a goal scoring opportunity when the US should have, at the very least, had the ball in the Panama box.

This is all on ggg because he is picking players who simply aren't good enough for international soccer and telling them to play safe instead of putting Panama under pressure.  Pussy soccer basically. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Also, showing this 2 mins and 11 second clip...

...along with an explanation of the abilities of each player that US Soccer called into the U23 Olympic Qualifying tournament in Mexico is all that needs to be done to completely convey why the USA did not qualify for the Men's Olympic Soccer Tournament... AGAIN.

That squad had about FOUR, or more, #6s, a couple of #8s... maybe... and no #10s.

Late in the semifinal, Tanner Tessman was inserted as an #8 in hopes that he could somehow suddenly become an #8/#10 combo and create something out of nothing on his own. It was the most shit-tastic display of coaching ineptitude and roster mismanagement that I've seen at the "youth" level for US Soccer. Just absolutely amazing incompetence. And it was like Jason Christ was slurping up Berhalter's philosophy like a young molested student in Ancient Athens.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't have an issue with anything he said. Acosta fucks it up and loses the ball because we are passing it back to him instead of already being in the box. 

There was nothing dangerous about that at all. We barely got the ball into the final 3rd.

image.png.4db7bc662bedb847b2329292e3ca18ef.png

If Acosta does anything but just lose the ball starting a counter, there's a numbers advantage on the left side (which was specifically called out in the video).

29 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Lletget completely ends the play by cutting back instead of going one-on-one.  If Lletget gets past that defender, the CB has to make a tough decision whether to come to Lletget and leave Weah basically open on goal.  If you can't take on a Panama defender in that one-on-one situation, you shouldn't play for the USMNT.

We all know that Lletget does not have the ability to run at that defender one on one. I would argue though, that trying to have Lletget take on a defender to create a two on four with Weah is way less dangerous that getting the ball back to the middle to overload the left side which is what he ultimately tries to do. His decision also didn't kill the play. It's not an "oh MLS players can't think" but Acosta just fucking up which he did over and over in this game and should have been pulled at half instead of being moved into a more advanced position.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

If Acosta does anything but just lose the ball starting a counter, there's a numbers advantage on the left side (which was specifically called out in the video).

Yeah but he loses the ball because he fucking blows. You're missing the forest for the trees.

Exact same thing with Lletget. If he can't take that defender on he needs to sit. You know who is willing to take that defender on and probably can more often than not? Matthew Hoppe. So can Dest - so play him at mid if you have to. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah but he loses the ball because he fucking blows. You're missing the forest for the trees.

Exact same thing with Lletget. If he can't take that defender on he needs to sit. You know who is willing to take that defender on and probably can more often than not? Matthew Hoppe. So can Dest - so play him at mid if you have to. 

A lot of this.

The fact is that a lot of this is due to the entire play slowing down from the get go. Lletget is the guy that stopped the play in its tracks, but this was a team effort to blow this one up. Just watch Panama's #15 - He has time to stop his run toward our goal, turn around and catch the play. That should not happen.

God, Twitter is killing me.

• Rage+1 1

I think we all share the same concerns about Berhalter. I will say, I still think this team qualifies with relative ease in the end, especially if they take care of Costa Rica tomorrow. The upsetting part to me is he's going to absolutely cost points in group play in Qatar. We can all see this coming from a mile away. He's going to run some of his pets out there (Arriola, Lleget, Zardes) in some game where we have better options and it is going to suck. 

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I would love to give Bob Bradley a run with this group of talent since there probably isn't a better option in the near-term. I know his tenure didn't end on the highest note, but he can coach circles around Greg. Would probably have to pull the trigger after the next round in November, though. 

49 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

I think we all share the same concerns about Berhalter. I will say, I still think this team qualifies with relative ease in the end, especially if they take care of Costa Rica tomorrow. The upsetting part to me is he's going to absolutely cost points in group play in Qatar. We can all see this coming from a mile away. He's going to run some of his pets out there (Arriola, Lleget, Zardes) in some game where we have better options and it is going to suck. 

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I would love to give Bob Bradley a run with this group of talent since there probably isn't a better option in the near-term. I know his tenure didn't end on the highest note, but he can coach circles around Greg. Would probably have to pull the trigger after the next round in November, though. 

I'm resigned to the fact that it won't make a shit who the manager is as long as the USSF continues to interfere with their MLS agenda. The USSF is a corrupt body that only cares about profits and nothing more.

Nations of the likes of England, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, and Brazil do not give a shit if their national team draws mainly from their domestic leagues.  So why is the USSF hellbent on having loser MLS lifer spares on the USMNT? More marketability for the MLS, a second rate domestic league.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I'm resigned to the fact that it won't make a shit who the manager is as long as the USSF continues to interfere with their MLS agenda. The USSF is a corrupt body that only cares about profits and nothing more.

Nations of the likes of England, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, and Brazil do not give a shit if their national team draws mainly from their domestic leagues.  So why is the USSF hellbent on having loser MLS lifer spares on the USMNT? More marketability for the MLS, a second rate domestic league.

I don't have a problem with a MLS coach if they're qualified. Berhalter hadn't accomplished shit other than one hot streak to make the MLS Cup Final. His teams were not great offensively even in MLS. There were a ton of red flags with this guy from the beginning. As an example, Pareja would improve this team instantly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Nations of the likes of England, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, and Brazil do not give a shit if their national team draws mainly from their domestic leagues.

I'm not sure how true that is - at least from a fan perspective. Then again - for England, Germany, Spain most of their best players play domestically anyway. 

The difference is that their domestic leagues are much better.