Dallas Cowboys 2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck It All

Vic Mackey

17 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Couldn’t disagree more and I’m pretty sure this is the Cowboys mentality. We have so many defensive players that need to be churned, that we had to have 4-5 of this year’s draftees either start or be a serious rotational (DL) contributor. I doubt that will happen now. 

Teams are built in the 3rd to 5th round. 

Dallas Cowboys: B

Top needs: CB, DL, OL, TE

The Dallas defense was awful last season, even before Dak Prescott was lost for the year in Week 5. This couldn't be another CeeDee Lamb situation, where they went with an offensive playmaker despite having massive holes on the other side of the ball. They had to get the best defender on the board, ideally a cornerback. Unfortunately for the Cowboys, though, the top two corners went in the two picks before them at No. 10, so give them credit for trading back two spots, adding an extra third-rounder and still getting the guy they say they wanted all along.

The questions now are ... where does Micah Parsons (12) fit, and what does it mean for 2018 first-round pick Leighton Vander Esch and 2016 second-rounder Jaylon Smith? I didn't peg off-ball linebacker as a need for Dallas, but the organization didn't draft Parsons to sit on the bench. So maybe it will move on from Vander Esch and plant Parsons at middle linebacker. He'll improve a porous run defense; the Cowboys allowed a woeful 1,758 rushing yards before first contact last season, by far the most in the league. With Rashawn Slater still available, I thought he would have filled a need at guard. They added to the off-ball linebacker group on Day 3 with Jabril Cox (115), who has some coverage traits.

The Cowboys continued their attempt to improve the defense on Day 2 and ended up using all five of their picks on defenders. Cornerback Kelvin Joseph (44) has lock-down traits, and the team will hope that he can make the same sort of impact that second-rounder Trevon Diggs did a year ago. Defensive linemen Osa Odighizuwa (75) and Chauncey Golston (84) were lower on my board, but they'll help against the run.

I had a late Day 3 grade on Nahshon Wright (99), but he's a big, 6-foot-3 corner who fits the mold of what new coordinator Dan Quinn likes outside. He's quite confident in his skills, but I didn't see an NFL starter on tape. Israel Mukuamu (227) is another tall corner, as Dallas showed its commitment to finding guys for Quinn. Simi Fehoko (179) has some speed for a 6-foot-4 wideout, though this team's receiver room is crowded.

In total, the Cowboys added eight defenders in this class, though they reached for a couple of them. If Quinn's corner picks work out, they could have a couple of steals.

Here is Kiper's write-up 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Dallas averaged out at #27 -- It's a shame Cowboys didn't get more talent with 11 draft picks.  (Thx for this info TARS)

2021 NFL Draft Team Grades --  I combined 18 evaluations for GPA

E0Y8zeGWYAQj3fy?format=jpg&name=large

No kidding. Dallas was set up about as well as they could ask for, and still pulled a major Dallas.

2 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Glad Jerry finally did something smart and declined LVE's option.

Jaylon Smith on his way out too after one more year. 👋

Yeah... let LVE play out 2021.  No need to exercise that 5th year when LVE just can't stay healthy

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Wanted Derwin James the year we took LVE. Went two picks before the Cowboys. He's also a super talented, super injured guy. 

To be fair, most of the defensive guys taken after LVE in the 1st round haven't been better than him unless I missed someone.

In an ideal world we never trade for Amari and we just draft Calvin Ridley instead of LVE. 

Believe DJ Moore who got drafted by the Panthers was thought to be more talented than Ridley coming out. Moore's had a couple 1000 yard receiving years but not many TDs.

Ridley was 23 years old at the time of the draft. He's the same age as Amari Cooper even though Cooper came out three years before him.

Edited by Loch Ness Monster

Man I see 3 or 4 decent players in there that could have used another year of college ball. Talk about getting bad information. That sucks.

Off topic but the pooka deal is super odd. He must be dumber than a stop sign or closet shit we don't know about.

4 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

It’s laughable that we have the same odds as the Titans, a team that has 3 playoff wins in the last 2 years. 

Those 3 wins were the season before last, though. Oddsmakers don't care about what happened a few years ago. Plus, they were way behind KC, Buffalo and even Baltimore to even get to the Super Bowl. That as a lot to do with it, too. I'd put Cleveland ahead of them. And possibly Indy. You shut Henry down, that offense folds fast. Tannhehill is not winning a lot of games himself.

15 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

It’s laughable that we have the same odds as the Titans, a team that has 3 playoff wins in the last 2 years. 

The cowboys are always about the worst odds to take. Vegas knows they don't have to dangle good or great odds to get the hordes of idiot cowboy fan money to flood in. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 19

34 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Those 3 wins were the season before last, though. Oddsmakers don't care about what happened a few years ago. Plus, they were way behind KC, Buffalo and even Baltimore to even get to the Super Bowl. That as a lot to do with it, too. I'd put Cleveland ahead of them. And possibly Indy. You shut Henry down, that offense folds fast. Tannhehill is not winning a lot of games himself.

I don’t necessarily disagree with anything you said, but they’re still a much better team than we are. That’s my main point.

Could see Henry taking a step back soon and the Cowboys defense returning to average instead of horrible. And yeah, better teams in the AFC right now at the top. 

Still doesn't quite sit right with me Cowboys used their two highest 1st round picks lately on a RB and an off ball LB. Short shelf life, dependent on the offensive line for a RB / defensive line for a LB, plenty of good RB/LBs in rounds 2-4, and its a passing league. Guess we'll see. 

Not that it matters much but in an interview with the Ticket- Parsons said Sean Lee wasn't the most athletic guy but he has a high football IQ. Damn. Show some respect.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Dirk wasn’t as athletic as Blake Griffin and I can tell you who I’d rather have. Regardless I heard the interview as it happened live last week. He was dismissive of Lee in favor of Arrington, Short and Jaylon. I’d take Lee over all of those guys in a heartbeat. 

what did he say about lee?

22 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He acted dismissive about him. And celebrated Arrington, Short and Smith. 

Me thinks you're projecting a little bit or overly sensitive.  He just he didn't have a relationship with Lee but respects him tremendously. I'm not sure what you expect him to say when about Lee relative to former LBs he actually created a bond with.  

• Like 1