Identifying Trump rioters

Tuco

Ran across a disinfo campaign reporting that insurrectionist Richard Barnett received 82 months with no parole as part of a plea deal, but that was debunked as of this evening. It spread across Twitter, but a checker organization ran it through some official channels and debunked it for the time being.

13 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Man Conan has really let himself go

Nah, that's Don "She Looked 18" Henley, searching for desperados.

The Robert Palmer infusion of music subthread has me thinking how great it would be if the trials and sentencing hearings were presided over by Steven Root in full on Idiocracy manic style, with sountrack by Bowie, the real Palmer, John Lennon, et al.  Damn, where's my Delta 8?  

Bring out the IQ detectors and nip this thing in the bud.  BEEEP! Right this way, sir, this is a special room for good 'Mericans like you.  It's called "outside."

10 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Ran across a disinfo campaign reporting that insurrectionist Richard Barnett received 82 months with no parole as part of a plea deal, but that was debunked as of this evening. It spread across Twitter, but a checker organization ran it through some official channels and debunked it for the time being.

Glad that’s false

82 months is waaay too short. 

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Glad that’s false

82 months is waaay too short. 

The motion to release him from detention by his attorney (in April) contains this paragraph:

The *other side began to listen, consider, empathize, process, and understand, many for the first time-the unfairness of it all. And while in no way equivocating their experience to the horrors of racism, they too began to complain how they have been ridiculed and exploited for generations by America’s ruling class. And that as members of the non-college educated working poor, they struggle to pay bills, have no savings, are crippled with debt, and are increasing silenced. Explaining further, how they cannot come to understand how they have been scapegoated for the racist actions of the smug, elitist, condescending members of America’s ruling class that despises them,and has made them the constant butt of jokes about needing to shop at Walmart because they are poor-and how they carry a great deal of shame because of it. Both sides realized, for a moment, that they were not enemies.

*The other side being the Trump supporters.

The document is about 46 pages so I haven't read it all, but the little I skimmed is quite a read.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

The motion to release him from detention by his attorney (in April) contains this paragraph:

*The other side being the Trump supporters.

The document is about 46 pages so I haven't read it all, but the little I skimmed is quite a read.

as someone who has studied the fed prison system in school and has kept up with issues such such as mandatory sentencing, Fed DA power and discretion and the incredible inequality in sentencing for minor federal drug offenses it is just honey on a warm muffin listening to pro incarnation people learning in detail how much it sucks and can be ‘unfair’ at times.

FF79793E-5B41-4539-8F98-8B9AE3D739C6.gif

• Hook 'Em 5

On 5/8/2021 at 12:23 PM, Brisketexan said:

Nope. No apologies, I could drink that stuff.

Might be pages late to this party but fuck off.  Their chips are good, but their salsa is hot garbage, and you should be ashamed of yourself.  No self respecting Texan should pay tribute to that nastiness, much less a Mexican.  If they had decent fries, I'd eat their burgers all the time, because they are good, especially if you get a side of chili to add to them, but their fries are also hot garbage.

On 5/9/2021 at 9:11 AM, tx 3 putt said:

your parents took you to pancho's just a fyi 

panchos.jpg

I really miss Pancho's.  Their chips and salsa were terrible, but I could eat 300 tacos and 2 dozen enchiladas and finish it off with sopapillas and honey.  God damn I loved that place.  Do they even still exist? I still get teary eyed when I pass by the old location on Burnet.  They finally tore down the portion of the shopping center where it lived at Oltorf and Congress so I don't feel the pang as hard down in my hood.

On 5/11/2021 at 8:06 AM, Walden Ponderer said:

How about, they have $4.50 between them, and someplace they need to be in 10 minutes. The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My first real job, I was about to get my first real adult sized paycheck but I had $6 left for the last 2 days before payday.  That was the last time I was thankful for a Taco Bell.  59 cent tacos kept me going for those two lunch breaks.

16 hours ago, Lobo said:

It was following in a line of misplaced connections by other posters between Robert Palmer and Peter Gabriel.  I joined in with an 80's movie reference that also happened to be a David Bowie lyric that also tied in another Peter Gabriel song and another Robert Palmer song.  I thought it was actually a quite nicely done musical denouement.  But it fell on deaf ears.  Thank for you for noticing.  I know connecting things back to songs or movies just pisses of mdmost, I guess that's why I tried this triple-lindy of sorts.  

And that's a different Rodney Dangerfield movie.

Guest Lobo

No, see---Caddyshack was the movie reference by Dangerfield, that also happened to be a Bowie lyric.  Topped off by a Gabriel reference before closing with the Palmer song title.  

This Dangerfield 80's music thread is turning into a real Dead Man's Party.  

Edited by Lobo

33 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Might be pages late to this party but fuck off.  Their chips are good, but their salsa is hot garbage, and you should be ashamed of yourself.  No self respecting Texan should pay tribute to that nastiness, much less a Mexican. 

No-Apologies-e1443204159561.jpg

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

104383199c146fa736c92114bbca5d84.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

No, see---Caddyshack was the movie reference by Dangerfield, that also happened to be a Bowie lyric.  Topped off by a Gabriel reference before closing with the Palmer song title.  

This Dangerfield 80's music thread is turning into a real Dead Man's Party.  

But the Triple Lindy was from Back to School, not Caddyshack.  That's what I was referencing.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

80's music talk not going away.

So, how do we feel about 99 lluftballons?

giphy.gif

That song was responsible for 50% of my knowledge of German for years (Hogan's Heroes was responsible for the rest).  I did not know much German.  I know more now, because both my kids decided to study it and are fluent.

But I still don't know much.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/11/2021 at 7:00 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

Put me on ignore if what I post bothers you.

It doesn't bother me, I periodically check other places for what is being discussed and the perspectives. I've watched that site grow in a  much different way than this site did. Albeit I missed the great migration due to dealing with health issues. I wasn't/am not as frequent a lurker on the LSU site since I am in Texas, but it too, provides some insight.

Sometimes it makes me angry, but mostly it is frustration that we have taken technology that could have changed our world in beneficial ways (some of which has  happened) but that the worse of our nature, our basest instincts are more often appealed to in the name of power and wealth and sometimes received with a decided lack of awareness that it is being done at all.

We are complex and we are simple. We manipulate and we are manipulated.

But to be more clear, the post was also directed toward the legal minded on this site, of whom there are many, so that they could weigh in on the validity of some of the claims in the screenshot/thread (not of the 'disturbance' et al that is just noise) regarding the camera footage being withheld and/or the means by which it is being withheld.

To address this, the public's "right" to camera footage is probably established by the Freedom of Information Act (federal) and "Open Records Act" (usually what state analogs are called).  In many cases, because FOIA or similar applies, the agency releases the information without need for a formal request from a member of the press or the public.

But one common exception to disclosure under FOIA and most state analogs is that it would compromise an ongoing investigation.  If you are really into it, https://www.foia.gov/foia-statute.html That could probably be applied to security camera footage at the Capitol.  The statutes also provide probably enough wiggle room to point to the "locations of security cameras" as a reason to withhold the footage.

So, yeah, I suppose it would be nice if the gubmint always turned over everything.  But it is not absolutely required, and the governmental reasons for doing so here seem legit from a neutral perspective.

This is the type of thing that underlay some of the redactions in the Mueller Report, some of which were legit and others seem to have been a deliberate obfuscation, although that hasn't been fully hashed out.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

80's music talk not going away.

So, how do we feel about 99 lluftballons?

giphy.gif

In college I had a job driving a van for Mercedes where, accompanied by one of several Schwabian school-teachers, we would noodle around to different American schools picking up the Mercedes exec's kids and taking them to "German School" so they wouldn't fall behind on their next This-Exam-Determines-Your-Whole-Life test in Germany.

For a while I had a passable Schwabian accent when telling brat kids to sit back down and buckle up.

These young teachers, several of whom looked like Nena, were fun to hang out with. We'd go to the movies and they'd have beer in their backpacks. I would have fallen hard for one, but you could tell from her haircut that she wasn't into dudes. Then a few years later I went to Germany, and every other woman walking around with her husband had that same haircut. #YouMissEveryShotYouDon'tTake

Edited by RDCanecutter
Heidenei.
  • Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

To address this, the public's "right" to camera footage is probably established by the Freedom of Information Act (federal) and "Open Records Act" (usually what state analogs are called).  In many cases, because FOIA or similar applies, the agency releases the information without need for a formal request from a member of the press or the public.

But one common exception to disclosure under FOIA and most state analogs is that it would compromise an ongoing investigation.  If you are really into it, https://www.foia.gov/foia-statute.html That could probably be applied to security camera footage at the Capitol.  The statutes also provide probably enough wiggle room to point to the "locations of security cameras" as a reason to withhold the footage.

So, yeah, I suppose it would be nice if the gubmint always turned over everything.  But it is not absolutely required, and the governmental reasons for doing so here seem legit from a neutral perspective.

This is the type of thing that underlay some of the redactions in the Mueller Report, some of which were legit and others seem to have been a deliberate obfuscation, although that hasn't been fully hashed out.

Thanks for the commentary. It seemed reasonable enough to me to not allow some of the footage simply due to the nature not only of the security threat in the future but that the reason for the security footage in the first place was because they had broken into a restricted area. Did not seem out of line to me given that not every perpetrator has been discovered, including the person who left the bombs at the DNC and RNC as what has been discussed as a potential diversionary tactic.

Guest Lobo
35 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

But the Triple Lindy was from Back to School, not Caddyshack.  That's what I was referencing.  

And that’s what I referred to with the “dead man’s party” mention.  The song Oingo Boingo played at the dive meet party.  Anyway the science behind the one actor in the two oingo boingo movies so weird.  
oh man, this is so us.  

4 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Of relevance, Article 94 of the UCMJ:

Article 94 UCMJ: Mutiny and Sedition

(a) "Any person subject to this chapter who—

(1) with intent to usurp or override lawful military authority, refuse, in concert with any other person, to obey orders or otherwise do his duty or creates any violence or disturbance is guilty of mutiny;

(2) with intent to cause the overthrow or destruction of lawful civil authority, creates, in concert with any other person, revolt, violence, or other disturbance against that authority is guilty of sedition;
(3) fails to do his utmost to prevent and suppress a mutiny or sedition being committed in his presence, or fails to take all reasonable means to inform his superior commissioned officer or commanding officer of a mutiny or sedition which he knows or has reason to believe is taking place, is guilty of a failure to suppress or report a mutiny or sedition.

(b) A person who is found guilty of attempted mutiny, mutiny, sedition, or failure to suppress or report a mutiny or sedition shall be punished by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct."

Elements

(1) Mutiny by creating violence or disturbance.

(a) That the accused created violence or a disturbance; and

(b) That the accused created this violence or disturbance with intent to usurp or override lawful military authority.

(2) Mutiny by refusing to obey orders or perform duty.

(a) That the accused refused to obey orders or otherwise do the accused's duty;

(b) That the accused in refusing to obey orders or perform duty acted in concert with another person or persons; and
(c) That the accused did so with intent to usurp or override lawful military authority.

(3) Sedition.

(a) That the accused created revolt, violence, or disturbance against lawful civil authority;

(b) That the accused acted in concert with another person or persons; and
(c) That the accused did so with the intent to cause the overthrow or destruction of that authority.

(4) Failure to prevent and suppress a mutiny or sedition.

(a) That an offense of mutiny or sedition was committed in the presence of the accused; and

(b) That the accused failed to do the accused's utmost to prevent and suppress the mutiny or sedition.

(5) Failure to report a mutiny or sedition.

(a) That an offense of mutiny or sedition occurred;

(b) That the accused knew or had reason to believe that the offense was taking place; and

(c) That the accused failed to take all reasonable means to inform the accused's superior commissioned officer or commander of the offense.

(6) Attempted mutiny.

(a) That the accused committed a certain overt act;

(b) That the act was done with specific intent to commit the offense of mutiny;
(c) That the act amounted to more than mere preparation; and
(d) That the act apparently tended to effect the commission of the offense of mutiny.

Explanation

(1) Mutiny. Article 94( a)(1) defines two types of mutiny, both requiring an intent to usurp or override military authority.

(a) Mutiny by creating violence or disturbance. Mutiny by creating violence or disturbance may be committed by one person acting alone or by more than one acting together.

(b) Mutiny by refusing to obey orders or perform duties. Mutiny by refusing to obey orders or perform duties requires collective insubordination and necessarily includes some combination of two or more persons in resisting lawful military authority. This concert of insubordination need not be preconceived, nor is it necessary that the insubordination be active or violent. It may consist simply of a persistent and concerted refusal or omission to obey orders, or to do duty, with an insubordinate intent, that is, with an intent to usurp or override lawful military authority. The intent may be declared in words or inferred from acts, omissions, or surrounding circumstances.

(2) Sedition. Sedition requires a concert of action in resistance to civil authority. This differs from mutiny by creating violence or disturbance. See subparagraph c(1)( a) above.

(3) Failure to prevent and suppress a mutiny or sedition. "Utmost" means taking those measures to prevent and suppress a mutiny or sedition which may properly be called for by the circumstances, including the rank, responsibilities, or employment of the person concerned. "Utmost" includes the use of such force, including deadly force, as may be reasonably necessary under the circumstances to prevent and suppress a mutiny or sedition.

(4) Failure to report a mutiny or sedition. Failure to "take all reasonable means to inform" includes failure to take the most expeditious means available. When the circumstances known to the accused would have caused a reasonable person in similar circumstances to believe that a mutiny or sedition was occurring, this may establish that the accused had such "reason to believe" that mutiny or sedition was occurring. Failure to report an impending mutiny or sedition is not an offense in violation of Article 94. But see paragraph 16c(3), (dereliction of duty).
(5) Attempted mutiny. For a discussion of attempts, see paragraph 4.

Lesser Included Offenses

(1) Mutiny by creating violence or disturbance.

(a) Article 90--assault on commissioned officer

(b) Article 91--assault on warrant, noncommissioned, or petty officer
(c) Article 94--attempted mutiny
(d) Article 116--riot; breach of peace
(e) Article 128--assault
(f) Article 134--disorderly conduct

(2) Mutiny by refusing to obey orders or perform duties.

(a) Article 90--willful disobedience of commissioned officer

(b) Article 91--willful disobedience of warrant, noncommissioned, or petty officer
(c) Article 92--failure to obey lawful order
(d) Article 94--attempted mutiny

(3) Sedition.

(a) Article 116--riot; breach of peace

(b) Article 128--assault
(c) Article 134--disorderly conduct
(d) Article 80--attempts

Maximum Punishment

For all offenses under Article 94, death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct.

If an active duty member of the US military took part in an attempt to overthrow or cause the destruction of our civil authority, then I fully and completely support that person being subject to the full force of Article 94.  I don't support the death penalty, but life in prison is fine with me.

It's horrific when civilians attempt to overthrow the government.

It's unforgivable when an active duty member of the military does so.  That is "bury him UNDER the jail" kind of shit.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Of relevance, Article 94 of the UCMJ:

If an active duty member of the US military took part in an attempt to overthrow or cause the destruction of our civil authority, then I fully and completely support that person being subject to the full force of Article 94.  I don't support the death penalty, but life in prison is fine with me.

It's horrific when civilians attempt to overthrow the government.

It's unforgivable when an active duty member of the military does so.  That is "bury him UNDER the jail" kind of shit.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think a civilian prosecution/indictment such as this will ultimately be handled by court martial.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think a civilian prosecution/indictment such as this will ultimately be handled by court martial.

That's my understanding....but I freely admit to not being an expert in military justice.  I just knew there was a relevant UCMJ provision, because shit, it's kind of one of the core things about military justice - don't engage in an uprising against the civil government.   That's a coup.  It's bad, and you shouldn't do it.

50 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

how do you guys keep fucking this thread up?

Have we not met?

32 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Much improves version.  Less Eurotrash.

I first read that as Soulfinger and was wondering how Spies Like Us got into the conversation:

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

I hope his Dishonorable discharge makes him ineligible for retirement benefits. He can greet me at Walmart

Don't you slur the non-Capitol-attacking greeters of Walmart, sirrah. I would hope the Waltons would not require his services.

• Hook 'Em 1