Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

34 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

And vs a bad Qb with slow WRs.. it’s was better, but that is a really bad offense 

Some of them are slow, but Lassiter is about league average. Epps is above average speed-wise. Roberts is slow, but uses his body well, Kingston is shifty and gets open in zone. The guys communicated MUCH better yesterday, but not worrying about QB run made things much easier even with the motions they used.

We left Slovis alone and he did better than he usually does in the QB run game, but he wasn't gonna beat us that way. Will Howard could beat us with it, Avery Johnson would definitely beat us with it. Jaylan Ford can't be asked to account for the QB in the QB run game anymore, definitely not next week. Blackwell/Hill give us the best chance there.

Most interesting in this game will be how we stop the run. Cooper Beebe is legit, should be interesting.

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Some of them are slow, but Lassiter is about league average. Epps is above average speed-wise. Roberts is slow, but uses his body well, Kingston is shifty and gets open in zone. The guys communicated MUCH better yesterday, but not worrying about QB run made things much easier even with the motions they used.

We left Slovis alone and he did better than he usually does in the QB run game, but he wasn't gonna beat us that way. Will Howard could beat us with it, Avery Johnson would definitely beat us with it. Jaylan Ford can't be asked to account for the QB in the QB run game anymore, definitely not next week. Blackwell/Hill give us the best chance there.

Most interesting in this game will be how we stop the run. Cooper Beebe is legit, should be interesting.

Beebe vs Sweat match-ups will be worth the price of admission. Have to stop the run game vs KSU.. it all starts there.. 

The secondary goes as the pressure from the front goes. Barron is the most impactful player. Sometimes a big play occurs due to poor execution; sometimes it’s the player doing something a little extra. Barron is our guy that does the little extra things. He’s not infallible in coverage however.

The front is the key in the pass and run. Always.

7 hours ago, Had Enough said:

The secondary goes as the pressure from the front goes. Barron is the most impactful player. Sometimes a big play occurs due to poor execution; sometimes it’s the player doing something a little extra. Barron is our guy that does the little extra things. He’s not infallible in coverage however.

The front is the key in the pass and run. Always.

This brings me to my “Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?” question. PK has typically gone to his heavy sets vs run oriented teams. That has left Barron on the bench at times this season. Is this the game that PK looks around and puts Barron at Safety to keep him on the field, when he isn’t in nickel? 

• Hook 'Em 1

This brings me to my “Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?” question. PK has typically gone to his heavy sets vs run oriented teams. That has left Barron on the bench at times this season. Is this the game that PK looks around and puts Barron at Safety to keep him on the field, when he isn’t in nickel? 

Good question. I did see Barron off ball at safety depth one play, but that may have been due to motion and rotation.

And truth is the opposing offense has not had much success against that defense. Yet.

Versus a KState I’m not sure I wouldn’t rather have Barron at CB. Over Holmes and probably Muhammad. But they’ll probably go with whomever best handles practice with what KState does.

7 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Good question. I did see Barron off ball at safety depth one play, but that may have been due to motion and rotation.

And truth is the opposing offense has not had much success against that defense. Yet.

Versus a KState I’m not sure I wouldn’t rather have Barron at CB. Over Holmes and probably Muhammad. But they’ll probably go with whomever best handles practice with what KState does.

Not sure what KSU has. Watts and Brooks are better vs big and physical WRs. I like Muhammad and Holmes for fast WRs. The truth is I don’t really care where PK puts Barron, as long as, it isn’t on the bench. 

Not sure what KSU has. Watts and Brooks are better vs big and physical WRs. I like Muhammad and Holmes for fast WRs. The truth is I don’t really care where PK puts Barron, as long as, it isn’t on the bench. 

It’s possible the KSU WR blocking may be as big a deal as their route running/catching. I’d bet Barron isn’t coming off this week.

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

It’s possible the KSU WR blocking may be as big a deal as their route running/catching. I’d bet Barron isn’t coming off this week.

That is what I am hoping. When teams go big personnel, PK has gone to more traditional 4-3 look and taken Barron off.  Even did that a bit vs BYU. I don’t want Barrons play time to be dictated by the opposing offense’s formations. He is one of the 2 best defenders on the team 

I was out of the country for the game, but caught the highlights.  BYU was clearly outmatched from the jump, but big picture, plays like the one below have been headscratchers to me for PK's whole time here.  It's a money down (4th and 2) with a chance to force a turnover and kill a drive.  This is the secondary alignment we roll with?  This play is over before it starts.  They have 1 receiver on the boundary and we play 10 yards off in bail coverage?  With 2 yards to go?  On a 4th down? 

What if this were, I don't know, the 4th quarter of the championship game against an evenly-matched team, and the whole season rode on a good defensive call given down and distance?  

youtube-video-gif.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I was out of the country for the game, but caught the highlights.  BYU was clearly outmatched from the jump, but big picture, plays like the one below have been headscratchers to me for PK's whole time here.  It's a money down (4th and 2) with a chance to force a turnover and kill a drive.  This is the secondary alignment we roll with?  This play is over before it starts.  They have 1 receiver on the boundary and we play 10 yards off in bail coverage?  With 2 yards to go?  On a 4th down? 

What if this were, I don't know, the 4th quarter of the championship game against an evenly-matched team, and the whole season rode on a good defensive call given down and distance?  

youtube-video-gif.gif

As a regular schlub with no extensive football career outside of mostly watching the shit for decades, these are the types of calls that just confuse me from highly paid, accomplished coaches. What do they think is gonna happen there? 

58 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

youtube-video-gif.gif

20 minutes ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

As a regular schlub with no extensive football career outside of mostly watching the shit for decades, these are the types of calls that just confuse me from highly paid, accomplished coaches. What do they think is gonna happen there? 

The only excuse for coverage like that is if the call had a guy dropping into that throwing window. The question is which one was it. You had two relatively inexperienced players in Holmes at corner and Blackwell at OLB. Could be player error. Without knowing the call hard to say. One thing we do know is it happens far too frequently. We just gave it to them.

3 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

youtube-video-gif.gif

Why does 37 bite on the run that wasn’t even faked???? That’s embarrassing, he backs up into his zone bubble right there and that pass might be tipped. 

• Rage+1 1

youtube-video-gif.gif.6677efbcbd212acd93d8b9cda21aedbc.gif

For what’s it’s worth, Holmes didn’t play much after this, kind of implying it was an error on his part.
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

youtube-video-gif.gif

On the bright side, it kept the QB from seeing the TE streaking uncovered straight down the field for a TD

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1

On the bright side, it kept the QB from seeing the TE streaking uncovered straight down the field for a TD

Heh. I declined to bring that up because reading coverage is not my forte and I am not 100% sure who botched that. I think it might be the boundary safety but the disconnect between what the DBs and LBs are doing makes it hard for me to tell.

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

He is covered by the safety there, you can see the shadow if you look for it. Watts put him in conflict though. Watts is tight to the flat and should be getting some depth there for the corner

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

youtube-video-gif.gif

After this play, Holmes barely played.

13 hours ago, Codaxx said:

That is what I am hoping. When teams go big personnel, PK has gone to more traditional 4-3 look and taken Barron off.  Even did that a bit vs BYU. I don’t want Barrons play time to be dictated by the opposing offense’s formations. He is one of the 2 best defenders on the team 

Yeah, Babers said yah gotta keep Barron on the field, just slide him to corner or safety against any "big personnel" packages

This is one that you need to know responsibilities. It could be Taafe that messes up.

Situational football. If you can’t stop them short of the first, it matters not if they 3, 5, or 7. Don’t bite up when your biggest threat is elsewhere. That’s Taafe on this play.

The TE was open on the other side. Even if the S does cover him, he got himself too far outside to defend the pass.

6 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

This is one that you need to know responsibilities. It could be Taafe that messes up.

Situational football. If you can’t stop them short of the first, it matters not if they 3, 5, or 7. Don’t bite up when your biggest threat is elsewhere. That’s Taafe on this play.

The TE was open on the other side. Even if the S does cover him, he got himself too far outside to defend the pass.

Always tough to figure out responsibilities in bad coverage. The only thing I am sure of is there is no reason for Holmes to be 10 yards off with outside leverage and bailing on the snap. You can play off ball, but on 4th nd 2 you can play that flat footed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Heh. I declined to bring that up because reading coverage is not my forte and I am not 100% sure who botched that. I think it might be the boundary safety but the disconnect between what the DBs and LBs are doing makes it hard for me to tell.

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

He is covered by the safety there, you can see the shadow if you look for it. Watts put him in conflict though. Watts is tight to the flat and should be getting some depth there for the corner

Yeah, if I had to guess I would say its a daisy chain of errors on the boundary. Gbenda should have the flat so Watts can carry his man so the Safety can concentrate on the seam. I blame Gbenda because you should always just assume it is his fault.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Why does 37 bite on the run that wasn’t even faked???? That’s embarrassing, he backs up into his zone bubble right there and that pass might be tipped. 

Yeah either Blackwell needs to immediately get into that window or the CB needs to play better coverage. Cant really be relying on the safety there.

Edited by Pam Cummings

9 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

youtube-video-gif.gif

Holmes was pulled immediately after this play.

Guilbeau had a similar screw-up against UTSA last year where he gave up a 3rd and 5 or 6 solely based on alignment and rode the bench the rest of the game.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Holmes was pulled immediately after this play.

Guilbeau had a similar screw-up against UTSA last year where he gave up a 3rd and 6 solely based on alignment and rode the bench the rest of the game.

They actually moved him on the other side and put Brooks in the boundary. I believe after that he was pulled, so one play after the mess up.

Good stuff. Differing opinions. Speculation. Who knows.

The LBs have to respect the run because there’s limited value in a tackle at 2.5 yards so your first step is likely towards the LOS.

The reason I interjected Taafe is because he’s playing relatively tight and notice his first step. He’s not Cover 2 or 3 so it’s possible quarters. So maybe Holmes should lock into Man on a single side WR. Taafe coming downhill so that’s easier for him than a LB to hit that window. Irrespective of coverage, he’s too aggressive towards the LOS given down and distance. His most immediate threat is the single side WR breaking in.

Holmes actions don’t make sense either. And perhaps being pulled substantiates that as well. My thought there was that perhaps Holmes action was to bait the inside throw. Just speculation though.

• Like 1

Looks like a 2 WR set. That hasn’t given us problems in the pass game. 4 man rush, 7 in coverage. Not sure we play anyone that has 2 TEs that can outrun us consistently.

4/5 wide is our issue. We don’t go dime so you’ll have a S in a tough matchup. We won’t take out Ford so if you want Hill in, it’s either LB or take out Sorrell or Burke. I’m not sure Hill is a better pass rusher than Sorrell/Burke. He’s not great in zone. If you’ve got 4 legit WRs, your best chance is a true cover guy. Personally I’m not pulling a S, but I’d prefer the additional guy be a cover guy versus the bigger body. 4-1-6 or 3-2-6. Hill provides options. We have willing tacklers in the secondary so that mitigates being small to an extent.

• Hook 'Em 1

Looks like a 2 WR set. That hasn’t given us problems in the pass game. 4 man rush, 7 in coverage. Not sure we play anyone that has 2 TEs that can outrun us consistently.

4/5 wide is our issue. We don’t go dime so you’ll have a S in a tough matchup. We won’t take out Ford so if you want Hill in, it’s either LB or take out Sorrell or Burke. I’m not sure Hill is a better pass rusher than Sorrell/Burke. He’s not great in zone. If you’ve got 4 legit WRs, your best chance is a true cover guy. Personally I’m not pulling a S, but I’d prefer the additional guy be a cover guy versus the bigger body. 4-1-6 or 3-2-6. Hill provides options. We have willing tacklers in the secondary so that mitigates being small to an extent.

Bunch sets have given Texas fits all year (see the 4 and 2 and how they handled the backside). Secondary really struggles passing off WRs. 

• Like 1

3 down 3 backers 5 DBs
They'll probably mask where the 4th rusher comes from and drop 7. Communication on the back end is the most important part though. The more people going into routes, the more likely someone can take advantage of the mistake.

Yeah I think we see some of the heavy DL looks this week with KSU’s run heavy offense and heavier sets. I think staying within the 4-2-5 and just playing a bigger end is a better fit than the 3-3-5 but ultimately the point is you are probably going to see three down linemen out there more often than we have in a while. Starting Sorrell-Sweat-Murphy-Collins gives you enough against the run and pass to keep 5 DBs on the field.

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah I think we see some of the heavy DL looks this week with KSU’s run heavy offense and heavier sets. I think staying within the 4-2-5 and just playing a bigger end is a better fit than the 3-3-5 but ultimately the point is you are probably going to see three down linemen out there more often than we have in a while. Starting Sorrell-Sweat-Murphy-Collins gives you enough against the run and pass to keep 5 DBs on the field.

Guessing the 4-3 look vs BYU was a trial run for KSU. They had Ford, Hill, and Blackwell out there at LB. Not much of a reason to run that vs BYU.. I think that was an attempt to get some practice work in for Blackwell and Hill. Get your most athletic LBs out there to help on the QB run. You can have Blackwell and Hill spy, so it it a bit harder to for the QB to know who it the SPY. You can always make the 4 Collins, Murphy, Sweat, and Collins. PK generally run 4 DBs in heavy sets and taken the Nickel off the foeld. 

Edited by Codaxx

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Guessing the 4-3 look vs BYU was a trial run for KSU. They had Ford, Hill, and Blackwell out there at LB. Not much of a reason to run that vs BYU.. I think that was an attempt to get some practice work in for Blackwell and Hill. Get your most athletic LBs out there to help on the QB run. You can have Blackwell and Hill spy, so it it a bit harder to for the QB to know who it the SPY. You can always make the 4 Collins, Murphy, Sweat, and Collins. PK generally run 4 DBs in heavy sets and taken the Nickel off the foeld. 

I think if we're going to clone one of our lineman it should be Sweat.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

PK may or may not deserve to be fired.  However, everyday I come to to work and am extremely thankful that the success or failure of my work day does not hinge on a bunch of teenage boys listening to my instruction, and successfully completing complex tasks in unison. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Bunch sets have given Texas fits all year (see the 4 and 2 and how they handled the backside). Secondary really struggles passing off WRs. 

Houston presented very different problems than others. Bu hit the deep ball to outside receivers. Bama, KU hit inside WRs isolated on safety. Maybe same versus OU. Houston did some of that too. But Houston bunched and picked some, but they also hit big ones running across the field.

I’m not sure anyone except maybe TCU can replicate Houston. I’d bet KSU is going to play their game so we can match with what we do. But KSU gets guys open so it’s not like they won’t make plays.

17 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Houston presented very different problems than others. Bu hit the deep ball to outside receivers. Bama, KU hit inside WRs isolated on safety. Maybe same versus OU. Houston did some of that too. But Houston bunched and picked some, but they also hit big ones running across the field.

I’m not sure anyone except maybe TCU can replicate Houston. I’d bet KSU is going to play their game so we can match with what we do. But KSU gets guys open so it’s not like they won’t make plays.

Everyone is going  to use bunch sets vs Texas. Babers has some ugly stats on the completion % when opponents use bunch looks. Only a page ago we were talking about the coverage breakdown on the 4 and 2 play on the backside. BYU used a bunch there. Secondary is having issues figuring out who is 1,2, ad 3 in those looks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Everyone is going  to use bunch sets vs Texas. Babers has some ugly stats on the completion % when opponents use bunch looks. Only a page ago we were talking about the coverage breakdown on the 4 and 2 play on the backside. BYU used a bunch there. Secondary is having issues figuring out who is 1,2, ad 3 in those looks. 

Suppose my argument would be if someone wants to replicate BYUs gameplan to a sub 5 yards per pass attempt, 6 points and 2 picks have at it.

I don’t have particular concern about a bunch set that then goes to the single WR side. When we give up points, it’s most often because there’s a big play mixed in.

What are Babers stats?

8 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Suppose my argument would be if someone wants to replicate BYUs gameplan to a sub 5 yards per pass attempt, 6 points and 2 picks have at it.

I don’t have particular concern about a bunch set that then goes to the single WR side. When we give up points, it’s most often because there’s a big play mixed in.

What are Babers stats?

I dont remember the exact number, but something ridiculous like 70% completion number. He quoted that prior to BYU. You are missing the pt. Teams have had success targeting Texas out of bunch sets. I only mentioned the BYU play, because it was recently discussed. It also showed that Texas busted the coverage. It isnt a big deal vs BYU. They have a 50 year old Qb that is not good. Most their WRs run a 4.9. They cant hurt really hurt you. Rice was the same. If Texas doesnt learn how to pass off WRs, it can really hurt Texas this weekend. You just can not continually bust coverages 

Edited by Codaxx

I dont remember the exact number, but something ridiculous like 70% completion number. He quoted that prior to BYU. You are missing the pt. Teams have had success targeting Texas out of bunch sets. I only mentioned the BYU play, because it was recently discussed. It also showed that Texas busted the coverage. It isnt a big deal vs BYU. They have a 50 year old Qb that is not good. Most their WRs run a 4.9. They cant hurt really hurt you. Rice was the same. If Texas doesnt learn how to pass off WRs, it can really hurt Texas this weekend. You just can not continually bust coverages 

I get the point. I’m not more concerned about it more than anything else is my point.

The concerning things are what Bama, OU and Houston had success with against us. But I also believe OU and Houston spent extra time game planning us. I don’t recall OU or Bama or even Kansas beating us with bunch formations. Houston did, but they also beat us straight up out running us. That may have been overcompensating for some QB run.

I get the point. I’m not more concerned about it more than anything else is my point.

The concerning things are what Bama, OU and Houston had success with against us. But I also believe OU and Houston spent extra time game planning us. I don’t recall OU or Bama or even Kansas beating us with bunch formations. Houston did, but they also beat us straight up out running us. That may have been overcompensating for some QB run.

I know Bama did well out of bunch sets.. I have to go back, but I think OU got Texas few times on it. Kansas got Texas with some option football, which will need to be cleaned up this week