Bourbon

Jimbaround

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Has anybody tried the Wild Turkey Master's Keep release for this year? 

Yeah. I grabbed a bottle secondary because my weakness is disgusting.

I like it quite a bit, but it's not a life changing pour. It skews to the sweet and fruity side without a ton of spice. I was expecting a bit more of the marshmallow note given the toasted barrel finishing, but that really wasn't there. I did notice that it opened up and got better every time I returned to the glass for another sip. A buddy of mine that tried it a week later said the same thing.

I haven't spent a ton of time with it, so I don't have much to share beyond the high level yet. I'm happy that I have it. It's probably not going to be seen as "worth it" to anyone that is laser focused on what they think things should cost, but I'm not one of those guys. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, RichUT said:

Yeah. I grabbed a bottle secondary because my weakness is disgusting.

I like it quite a bit, but it's not a life changing pour. It skews to the sweet and fruity side without a ton of spice. I was expecting a bit more of the marshmallow note given the toasted barrel finishing, but that really wasn't there. I did notice that it opened up and got better every time I returned to the glass for another sip. A buddy of mine that tried it a week later said the same thing.

I haven't spent a ton of time with it, so I don't have much to share beyond the high level yet. I'm happy that I have it. It's probably not going to be seen as "worth it" to anyone that is laser focused on what they think things should cost, but I'm not one of those guys. 

Yeah I'm mulling a campaign to locate it at MSRP. The bottled-in-bond 17 year was a tough get. 

I hosted a party last month and via getting my wife's friends drunk, I qualified for the Total wine Pappy & Antique drawing.  First time trying this...I set my priority for the cheaper bottles thinking that may set me up better to win something.  (Assuming that everyone puts Pappy 20 & 23 YR as the top priority.)  I have like 30k points.  Do I have a shot at "winning" something?  I'm sure the surly elite in this thread are familiar with this process.

2 hours ago, heinhorn said:

I hosted a party last month and via getting my wife's friends drunk, I qualified for the Total wine Pappy & Antique drawing.  First time trying this...I set my priority for the cheaper bottles thinking that may set me up better to win something.  (Assuming that everyone puts Pappy 20 & 23 YR as the top priority.)  I have like 30k points.  Do I have a shot at "winning" something?  I'm sure the surly elite in this thread are familiar with this process.

total random drawing

22 hours ago, cknight said:

FYI, there are multiple bottles of OWA 107 and eagle rare at the Specs off of 35 in Lewisville. Just bought a 107 for $47

Next time, please pick up a couple bottles of OWA for me.

If anybody is looking for Eagle Rare in Austin, just picked one up, and saw 6 more bottles on the shelf at King Liquor on Burnet.

If you’re a Balcones fan,
Grab one of these.
It’s pretty dang tasty. It’s a 3 grain mashbill, their standard blue corn, malted barley and rye.
At 100 proof, it’s not light like the baby blue and doesn’t have a big chocolate taste like their rye does.
It’s almost Armagnac like on the palate, fruity leaning towards grapes.
Good crisp finish.
This one isn’t gonna last long. Well worth the $60.
b4a42c4861b55c11b34a4a74c7822df8.jpg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Something might be up with Evan Williams SiB. Spec’s is completely out and lists it as discontinued. Could be something could be nothing. 

I bought two bottles at Total to cover my bases. 

Probably gonna rebrand and/or reprice. It’s criminally underpriced for the current market. Good 8yr SiB for $26. It’s a steal right now 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Evan Williams SiB is good and cheap, but underproofed. 

I agree, which is why McKenna BiB (same mashbill but higher proof) was always a steal before Minnick and others let the cat out of the bag. 

Killing off a bottle of Bulleit Blender's Select tonight to erase the memory of yet another Texas loss. 

I agree, which is why McKenna BiB (same mashbill but higher proof) was always a steal before Minnick and others let the cat out of the bag. 
Killing off a bottle of Bulleit Blender's Select tonight to erase the memory of yet another Texas loss. 

I don’t know how I never realized this. McKenna, EWSiB, and 4R SmB were my go-to rotation back in my early days. Can’t remember the last time I’ve bought any of them, but nostalgia may lead to an impulse buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

I suggest something stronger. We’re at an everclear or Bacardi 151 point here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I’m what some (ok most) people would call uncouth and unrefined, but MWND never moved the needle for me.

Truth, it’s just OK. I have an Act 6 from a few years back and it’s still 2/3 full.  I’move traded a few away and would do it again at the values they bring now. 

4 hours ago, H_Boogie said:

Haven’t found any vintage Stitzel-Weller at any relatives’ houses this Thanksgiving, so I guess so much for that annual tradition… #Thanks4Nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, what a letdown.  But, you know, pm me if your luck changes.  

No S-W here tonight, but I’m going in on some Turkey.  The middle one is an old label Rickhouse G Russell’s pick that’s crazy fruity like a Buffalo Trace product. The Kentucky Spirit is a 10 year pick that Spec’s had on the shelf last year for months despite it being really damn good. 

5322779C-DC4A-457D-B209-A3F40776FBEB.jpeg

• Like 3