Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

I think the only conclusion I've reached about this roster is I'm not a fan of the 3 guard starting lineup with Allen at the 4. 

Carr, Ramey, Jones, and Allen doesn't work together. There are too many mouths to feed with that group of players and we're also way undersized. 

I prefer this bigger lineup with 2 guards, Allen, Bishop, and Mitchell/Disu. I wonder what the minutes distribution looks like recently between the 2 guard lineups and 3 guard lineups?

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think the only conclusion I've reached about this roster is I'm not a fan of the 3 guard starting lineup with Allen at the 4. 

Carr, Ramey, Jones, and Allen doesn't work together. There are too many mouths to feed with that group of players and we're also way undersized. 

I prefer this bigger lineup with 2 guards, Allen, Bishop, and Mitchell/Disu. I wonder what the minutes distribution looks like recently between the 2 guard lineups and 3 guard lineups?

I agree and I didn't feel that way to start the season.  In fact I thought Allen's role would diminish significantly by now.  I'm not afraid to admit I greatly underestimated his skillset going into the season.  He really acquitted himself quite nicely initiating the offense most of the night.  Allen in the point forward role accomplishes 2 things; takes Carr of the ball and gets the offense started more quickly. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think having one of Cunningham and Askew on the court is a positive simply because they aren't scorers. As said earlier in the thread, we have too many guys that need the ball in their hands. 

That's not really either of those guys. I get Askew runs point but he's not looking to score or really do anything offensively. 

The problem is they turn down good open shots and most of those possessions end up with worse shots late in the clock. I mean even last night, Cunningham has a wide open 8' and he immediately freezes and passes out to Carr behind the arc. Luckily Carr hit a shot clock prayer and Texas was already up 20 points. The problem is when Texas needs to execute to get the best shot possible and a wide open 8' from Cunningham is a much better look than Carr throwing up end of the clock prayers from 3.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Does Mac Engel understand that he contradicted himself in back-to-back sentences?

How can UT look like Chris Beard's old Texas Tech teams in the process of whipping TCU, yet also have an "NIT Look".   Granted, I'm just a dumb ol' Tech grad, so maybe I'm not capable of understanding.  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

Does Mac Engel understand that he contradicted himself in back-to-back sentences?

How can UT look like Chris Beard's old Texas Tech teams in the process of whipping TCU, yet also have an "NIT Look".   Granted, I'm just a dumb ol' Tech grad, so maybe I'm not capable of understanding.  

While TCU may rank higher than you on some academic lists they tend to lack the self-awareness and self-depreciation that many of the Tech fanbase possesses. So while y'all can at times be annoying cunts I've never understood the expression "sand aggy". Tech doesn't remind me of aggy (I mean some of the fallout from Beard leaving was questionable but I get it). You're too busy getting shit-hammered and fingering dumb, slutty blondes on the South Plains. Most of you knew what you were getting into when you went to Tech and packed your bags and left for LBK because of it.

TCU does remind me of aggy. It's a school full of kids that didn't get into Texas or SMU (and now - places like USC and UCLA) that really wanted to go to those schools. They have a superior institution 30 miles to the East in a superior city that is their main rival that they constantly compare themselves to. They have a more than superior institution 200 miles to the south that historically beat their ass for 50+ years in every sport that they vomit their breakfast out at the thought of losing to. 

There are plenty of fine TCU grads. I mean - I assume there are. I actually haven't come across a lot of them. They do have a lot of hot MRS degree wimmenz. I think @Porterhousewent to TCU and I actually like him pretty well as a poster granted much of this board doesn't. 

Here are a couple of historically relevant screenshots while we're at it (SMU's death penalty was the best thing that ever happened to TCU):

Screenshot_20220126-203957_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3742828b176462b153308d7e7f8a15cd.jpgScreenshot_20220126-203759_Chrome.thumb.jpg.659cc6bbeee2c865799a6e00d36780d8.jpg

Edited by ztejas

Regarding our roster, my main objective would be taking the ball out of Carr’s hands. He just LOVES to dribble the life out of it. Reminds me a little bit of Chris Paul in that regard (but obviously not as good).  Let him run around off some screens as a shooting guard / gunner and let Allen initiate the offense. Then have either Ramey or Jones as a guard on the other side.

I like that Ramey has the confidence to shake off Carr when he is up top demanding the ball. Ramey is better at keeping it moving (which is shocking to hear myself say given my feelings about Ramey last year).

Devin Askew has shown some serious quickness off the dribble at times this year. i really really want him to gain confidence and carve out a bigger role for himself. his defense and handle are there- we just need him to become a threat to score/more of a facilitator. i like what i've seen from him though. 

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I like that Ramey has the confidence to shake off Carr when he is up top demanding the ball. Ramey is better at keeping it moving (which is shocking to hear myself say given my feelings about Ramey last year).

I'm pretty sure I shared the sentiment last year during the year or at least after we hired Beard that I think Ramey under a better coach could develop into a really nice player. I'm obviously a bit of a Ramey apologist but I genuinely think he's been our 2nd best player this season behind Allen (who I think at this point is pretty clearly our best player). His peremiter D is indispensable for this team and while he can't finish worth a shit at the rim and can get a bit overzealous at times with his shot selection I've always loved the intensity he brings and just the way he plays the game in general. 

Also - iirc - Ramey and Carr assisted each other on a couple possessions towards the end of the game last night and displayed some general camaraderie. I was really happy to see it. (I also kind of liked the tech he got whether it was dumb or not).

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

It’s been obvious that Carr needs to play off ball with somebody like Askew or Ramey handling point. 

Carr is a good player in that role because he can defend and although he’s a streaky scorer he can still get buckets. When Carr is on ball the offense gets stagnant. 

If we could find one player that can beat their guy off the dribble consistently it would go a long ways. Looking back on things, this team would be so much better with Coleman. I think Askew has the potential to be a very good player here though. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

It’s been obvious that Carr needs to play off ball with somebody like Askew or Ramey handling point. 

Carr is a good player in that role because he can defend and although he’s a streaky scorer he can still get buckets. When Carr is on ball the offense gets stagnant. 

If we could find one player that can beat their guy off the dribble consistently it would go a long ways. Looking back on things, this team would be so much better with Coleman. I think Askew has the potential to be a very good player here though. 

Timmy Allen is capable of handling point, and particularly getting us into our offense.  Maybe not against every team, but it sure worked vs. TCU.  

Carr did better the other night when he was the the second, third, or fourth guy to touch the ball in half court sets.

Ramey is fools gold when it comes to handling point.  Askew needs to take more shots.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Satchel said:

All four first year Big 12 coaches on the list. Mark Adams #2, Otzelberger #4, Beard #6, and Porter Moser #9.

Shaka Smart listed at #3.

Mike Woodson at #5 is interesting to me. Indiana has had the biggest fall among blue bloods in either football or men's basketball in this century. Bigger than either USC or Texas in football. It's too early to say whether he can turn it around, or if he does will he head back to the NBA. But I'll be interested to see.

Hubert Davis being listed on here feels like a joke. He looks like Matt Doherty part two, to me.

It feels way too early to make this list, but have to put something out there to generate clicks. Lists are always good for that. No one is going to measure any of these coaches' seasons by what they've done to this point.

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

How in the world are Oscar Tshiebwe and Justin Moore being defined as glue guys?

If you go by the strict definition of the tweet, Lebron and KD could be “glue guys.”

They’re using a very narrow interpretation of the term.

Edited by CurlyDumps

5 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

All four first year Big 12 coaches on the list. Mark Adams #2, Otzelberger #4, Beard #6, and Porter Moser #9.

Shaka Smart listed at #3.

Mike Woodson at #5 is interesting to me. Indiana has had the biggest fall among blue bloods in either football or men's basketball in this century. Bigger than either USC or Texas in football. It's too early to say whether he can turn it around, or if he does will he head back to the NBA. But I'll be interested to see.

Hubert Davis being listed on here feels like a joke. He looks like Matt Doherty part two, to me.

It feels way too early to make this list, but have to put something out there to generate clicks. Lists are always good for that. No one is going to measure any of these coaches' seasons by what they've done to this point.

Beard’s the only one Katz predicted will produce a Final Four team.

Happy with the Texas defensive effort last night.  Rebounding, especially on the defensive end must get better or this team will stay on the bubble for the tournament.  Not having a quality point guard really hurts this team, and also their terrible effort and patience with passing and moving without the ball on offense.

Poor offense, turnovers, and defensive rebounding  continue to be common themes for this Texas team's struggles in their defeats especially against quality teams.  In the future, I really hope Beard adds someone to his staff to improve their offense and rebounding -- this current team definitely needs a ton of improvement in those areas and it's painful to watch.

I think rockethorn was right that there are a lot of football fans that have no clue how college basketball works. 

Everyone takes losses in college basketball. This isn’t football where a loss is a deciding factor on your season. There are Texas fans that see 5 losses and think Texas sucks because they have a complete misunderstanding of the sport. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

So it seems that any team with the horses and experience to pull it off should press Texas from opening tip to final buzzer. Our players don't appear to handle it well, despite their experience.

I’m not sure because it happens at the end of games so Texas is just looking to kill clock. 

Last night they had several fast break opportunities but pulled the ball out to burn clock. 

My guess is Texas probably looks more effective against the press when they aren’t simply trying to burn clock. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think rockethorn was right that there are a lot of football fans that have no clue how college basketball works. 

Everyone takes losses in college basketball. This isn’t football where a loss is a deciding factor on your season. There are Texas fans that see 5 losses and think Texas sucks because they have a complete misunderstanding of the sport. 

A top 20 NET ranking is nowhere near the bubble. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I’m not sure because it happens at the end of games so Texas is just looking to kill clock. 

Last night they had several fast break opportunities but pulled the ball out to burn clock. 

My guess is Texas probably looks more effective against the press when they aren’t simply trying to burn clock. 

That's a fair counter, but I wonder how much of that is our players not finding the open man or not making that decisive pass fast enough.

Also, if what you say is true, then that's alarming. I desperately hope Beard would not instruct his players to pass up bunnies in hopes of killing another 15-20 seconds.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

Part of last night’s collapse was (3) 3 point shots from unlikely sources that closed the gap quickly. However, better execution against the press would have helped; once you break the press you should have a layup or foul shots. I am happy for the win but that was ugly at the end, it could have been extremely embarrassing. The “shit call” on Allen didn’t help. This team is getting better defensively but offensive execution has to improve. I really like Askew’s ball handling and defense. Maybe that is someone who needs to be on the floor when teams press. I don’t know, random thoughts.

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

That's a fair counter, but I wonder how much of that is our players not finding the open man or not making that decisive pass fast enough.

Also, if what you say is true, then that's alarming. I desperately hope Beard would not instruct his players to pass up bunnies in hopes of killing another 15-20 seconds.

The issue last night was missed FTs. Make FTs and the game was over. 

The way Texas defends I really have no issue with Texas burning clock up big. Last night the game got close because Texas couldn’t make a FT. 

Tennessee got hot at the end but it was still a 6 to 10 point win if Texas  made their FTs. Texas has been a good FT shooting team most of the year so I’m not opposed to the strategy combined with Texas being a great defensive team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I have no clue why people keep saying this. Texas is nowhere near the bubble. 

Texas is currently 5-3 in conference, and with their  remaining B12 schedule it looks like they may end up at 8-10.  Their only important wins thus far are over Tennessee and possibly Stanford. Also, That K-State loss at home was a terrible loss as it relates to tournament selection -- HELL they barely beat them in Manhattan when K-State was missing players.   Finding 3 wins over their next 10 games is no cakewalk...

If Texas goes 3-7 or worse over their next 10 games, Texas will most likely just be a "Bubble Team". 

DATE OPPONENT TIME TV  
Tue, 2/1
@TTU13 TTU
8:00 PM

espn-2@2x.png

Sat, 2/5
vsISU23 ISU
1:00 PM

espn-longhorn@2x.png

Mon, 2/7
vsKU5 KU

espn-red@2x.png

Sat, 2/12
@BAY4 BAY
11:00 AM    
Tue, 2/15
@OUOU
6:00 PM    
Sat, 2/19
vsTTU13 TTU
11:30 AM

espn-abc@2x.png

Wed, 2/23
vsTCUTCU
Sat, 2/26
@WVUWVU
TBD    
Mon, 2/28
vsBAY4 BAY

espn-red@2x.png

Sat, 3/5
@KU5 KU
3:00 PM

espn-red@2x.png

Edited by LTtxfan
typo
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Texas is currently 5-3 in conference, and with their  remaining B12 schedule it looks like they may end up at 8-10.  Their own only important wins thus far are over Tennessee and possibly Stanford. Also, That K-State loss at home was a terrible loss as it relates to tournament selection -- HELL they barely beat them in Manhattan when K-State was missing players.   Finding 3 wins over their next 10 games is no cakewalk...

If Texas goes 3-7 or worse over their next 10 games, Texas will most likely just be a "Bubble Team". 

DATE OPPONENT TIME TV  
Tue, 2/1
@TTU13 TTU

espn-2@2x.png

Sat, 2/5
vsISU23 ISU
1:00 PM

espn-longhorn@2x.png

Mon, 2/7
vsKU5 KU

espn-red@2x.png

Sat, 2/12
@BAY4 BAY
11:00 AM    
Tue, 2/15
@OUOU
Sat, 2/19
vsTTU13 TTU
11:30 AM

espn-abc@2x.png

Wed, 2/23
vsTCUTCU
Sat, 2/26
@WVUWVU
TBD    
Mon, 2/28
vsBAY4 BAY

espn-red@2x.png

Sat, 3/5
@KU5 KU
3:00 PM

espn-red@2x.png

T-Rank projects a 99.9% chance of Texas making the tournament and to finish with a 4.7 average seed. 

And that’s based on a 10-8 projection in the Big 12. A 2 game swing in the Big 12 is not going from a 4.7 average seed in the tournament to the bubble. 

Texas is nowhere close to the bubble. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The issue last night was missed FTs. Make FTs and the game was over. 

The way Texas defends I really have no issue with Texas burning clock up big. Last night the game got close because Texas couldn’t make a FT. 

Tennessee got hot at the end but it was still a 6 to 10 point win if Texas  made their FTs. Texas has been a good FT shooting team most of the year so I’m not opposed to the strategy combined with Texas being a great defensive team. 

This is a really dumb argument.

Once Texas staked itself to a 17-point lead, it missed five free throws and turned the ball over six times. Odd that you would focus solely on the missed free throws as the reason "the game got close."

I could flip it and say, "Don't turn the ball over six times over the final 7:04 and Texas wins easy." It would be just as valid as the one you're trying to make.

Anyway, I still contend that if an opponent has the horses, it should consider pressing Texas start to finish because it doesn't seem like our players can handle it. And that observation stems from other situational presses the 'Horns have faced, not just last night. Hope I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

T-Rank projects a 99.9% chance of Texas making the tournament and to finish with a 4.7 average seed. 

And that’s based on a 10-8 projection in the Big 12. A 2 game swing in the Big 12 is not going from a 4.7 average seed in the tournament to the bubble. 

Texas is nowhere close to the bubble. 

Hope you're right, but I disagree.  The way they have played thus far imo, looks like a bubble team... 

i-was-told-there-would-be-no-math.jpg

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Once Texas staked itself to a 17-point lead, it missed five free throws and turned the ball over six times. Odd that you would focus solely on the missed free throws as the reason "the game got close."

I could flip it and say, "Don't turn the ball over six times over the final 7:04 and Texas wins easy." It would be just as valid as the one you're trying to make.

Anyway, I still contend that if an opponent has the horses, it should consider pressing Texas start to finish because it doesn't seem like our players can handle it. And that observation stems from other situational presses the 'Horns have faced, not just last night. Hope I'm wrong.

You aren’t wrong, it’s been happening plenty. Rick pointed it out, it’s on film. It’s not so much full court but if you double Carr and/or blitz our ball screens we are sunk. It’s why I prefer Timmy or Askew running the show

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

We'll probably see that in Morgantown on February 26th...

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

When did I say turnovers didn't play a role in the game getting close? 

It obviously did but it wouldn't have mattered if Texas made 4 or 5 of those missed FTs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Revolution512 said:

The folks saying we miss Coleman are right. This team is a decent PG away from being really good. We turn the ball over too much. When we get shots up, we are very efficient 

Pretty much. We picked the wrong one from the portal (Carr).