2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

oh, we're definitely going to lose.

but your very specific reasoning doesn't really take into account the fact that they played 6 games against ~playoff teams in their last 35 while we stacked up games against the rays (3), a's (6), m's (6), and padres (3).

also you can start not including greinke in your "argument", unless you also want to include verlander, who should see an equal amount of meaningful time this series.

We’re talking about hundreds of innings combined between these two teams over that time span. I guarantee the variance in offensive talent over a sample that large is less than 10% while the difference in results are substantially larger than 10%. It’s just silly to argue that they don’t have a marked advantage there.  

On the other hand we hit and field better than they do, which is hardly nothing and could also be the difference in the series. 

1 minute ago, Starfleet Command said:

We’re talking about hundreds of innings combined between these two teams over that time span. I guarantee the variance in offensive talent over a sample that large is less than 10% while the difference in results are substantially larger than 10%. It’s just silly to argue that they don’t have a marked advantage there.  

On the other hand we hit and field better than they do, which is hardly nothing and could also be the difference in the series. 

apologies if i don't consider lance lynn to be elite.  he's been good not great since june 1.  before that he was really nasty.  kopech, kimbrel and other pieces have been touch and go.  their staff scared me a lot more right after the deadline.

49 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

You're also ignoring the obvious and unquantifiable advantage of postseason experience. How many postseason games have White Sox players experienced vs the Astros roster?

9 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

You're also ignoring the obvious and unquantifiable advantage of postseason experience. How many postseason games have White Sox players experienced vs the Astros roster?

I'm not a big believer in that mattering much.  If you think postseason experience is so material, then maybe we should start Greinke in game three or four?  He has more experience than anyone on the roster.  How much post-season experience did Framber have last year when he was by-far our best post-season pitcher?  

6 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

I'm not a big believer in that mattering much.  If you think postseason experience is so material, then maybe we should start Greinke in game three or four?  He has more experience than anyone on the roster.  How much post-season experience did Framber have last year when he was by-far our best post-season pitcher?  

They were 3-7 vs Oakland last year and then wiped them out in the divisional series. You think playoff experience didn't matter then?

Edited by Gourmand

5 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

They were 3-7 vs Oakland last year and then wiped them out in the divisional series. You think playoff experience didn't matter then?

No. I think they were playing far below their talent level for that 60 game season and their playoff run was more akin to how they should have been playing the entire season. 

4 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

No. I think they were playing far below their talent level for that 60 game season and their playoff run was more akin to how they should have been playing the entire season. 

Funny that you say that because I think the 2021 Astros played far below their talent level and should have won 100+ games considering the effect of injuries to the core of the lineup and their results against inferior teams earlier in the season.

Edited by Gourmand

So I was reading the fangraphs chat from the game last night and came across this:

Kevin Goldstein: There definitely was. We talked a lot about how there’s the measurement you have to make at the time about the runner and the thrower(s), but you have to add in a variable for chances to execute. I brought this up early, but in the 2017 ALCS, it was an auto-send on anything close because Gary Sanchez can’t catch the baseball.

lulz

A chatter asked him about Pettis as a 3rd base coach after the terrible send by Nevin last night.

Edited by WBT
  • Haha 1

Look… I understand the need for some of us to temper our expectations so that we don’t have to experience a full measurement of disappointment if things don’t go the way we hope.  But this team has earned your confidence.  If you aren’t willing to show it, go ahead and jump off the bandwagon now.  You don’t deserve to revel in the glory when it comes.  

Astros in 4 and then we get revenge on the Rays for last year in 6.     

Then the boys win one for Carlos, Dusty, and Greinke on the big stage against whoever comes out of the NL.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Look… I understand the need for some of us to temper our expectations so that we don’t have to experience a full measurement of disappointment if things don’t go the way we hope.  But this team has earned your confidence.  If you aren’t willing to show it, go ahead and jump off the bandwagon now.  You don’t deserve to revel in the glory when it comes.  

Then the boys win one for Carlos, Dusty, and Greinke on the big stage against whoever comes out of the NL.  

Then Crane says fuck it, it's only money, resigns Correa, and we win four more in a row with Whitley getting 3 Cy Youngs.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

for me it’s more about tempting fate and angering the baseball gods. i am definitely a little stitious. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

I think the Sox will be a bigger hurdle than the Rays, if we face them.  Hopefully Lance has it tomorrow as being down 0-1 facing Giolito will be tough.