2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I was discussing a negative hypothetical question with another couple of Astros fans and  I'm curious where Astros Surly falls:

Assuming the Astros lose their last game of  2021, would you rather?:

a) lose to the ChiSox in the ALDS

b) lose to the Rays in the ALCS 

c) lose to the Red Sox in the ALCS 

d) win the ALCS but lose to the Dodgers in the WS

20 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I was discussing a negative hypothetical question with another couple of Astros fans and  I'm curious where Astros Surly falls:

none of the above, WS victory is the only acceptable end for  this season 

15 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

yeah that's the only WS loss I could stomach

I mean losing to the Brewers/Braves would feel like 2019 part 2.

Losing to the Giants would still suck but it would suck the least.

Fuck losing to Chicago or Boston though so from your scenario give me Tampa or give me death.

10 hours ago, Gourmand said:

World Fucking Series.  Insert Herm Edwards gif.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

Allow me to preface this by saying “fuck the Yankees.”

For perspective, the 1936-1939 Yankees had at least four teammates that played 19 post season games together and would have played a *minimum* of 47 games had they swept an ALDS and ALCS each season.

But, the 1949-1953 Yankees played 28 post season games together and would have faced a *minimum* of 35 additional games had they swept an ALDS and ALCS each season (63). 

On the other hand if you count just the World Series games, Altuve, Correa, Bregman, and Gurriel will have only played half as many (14) games together.

just fodder for thought 

1 minute ago, Saint Tacky said:

Allow me to preface this by saying “fuck the Yankees.”

For perspective, the 1936-1939 Yankees had at least four teammates that played 19 post season games together and would have played a *minimum* of 47 games had they swept an ALDS and ALCS each season.

But, the 1949-1953 Yankees played 28 post season games together and would have faced a *minimum* of 35 additional games had they swept an ALDS and ALCS each season (63). 

On the other hand if you count just the World Series games, Altuve, Correa, Bregman, and Gurriel will have only played half as many (14) games together.

just fodder for thought 

so those yankee teams who qualified straight to the world series because of the format get to just blow through the early rounds to the world series in your scenario?

they had plenty of advantages back then.  not every record needs an asterisk.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

so those yankee teams who qualified straight to the world series because of the format get to just blow through the early rounds to the world series in your scenario?

they had plenty of advantages back then.  not every record needs an asterisk.

No. Didn’t say such. In fact, not blowing through would have added to the total games played together. An additional 7 games is the minimum for any team that qualified for the Series.  

“Asterisk”? I just threw it out there for perspective. 

6 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

No. Didn’t say such. In fact, not blowing through would have added to the total games played together. An additional 7 games is the minimum for any team that qualified for the Series.  

right.  or they lose the occasional early series and don't make it to the world series.

i remember when they expanded the playoffs years ago, and a bunch of modern jeter-era yankees started piling up all these records and i thought it was some bullshit.  glad we've caught up and surpassed that garbage.

[mention=228]Scraps[/mention] thoughts on this stadium ?
radio is blasting the place 
Guaranteed Rate?

Nothing special. Nothing even in the area of the stadium. If you have upper deck seats they don't even allow you to go to the lower deck. Kraft Kave for beer was kind of cool.

Other than that it is just a stadium.

4 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Guaranteed Rate?

Nothing special. Nothing even in the area of the stadium. If you have upper deck seats they don't even allow you to go to the lower deck. Kraft Kave for beer was kind of cool.

Other than that it is just a stadium.

sounds like as good a place as any to dogpile.