2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

My thoughts and prayers are with Graveman this morning. I can’t imagine what it must have been like for him having to pitch against his old team IN THEIR BALLPARK!  Dusty should be ashamed of himself for putting Graveman in that position. I hope he can find the strength to finish out the season and continue with his career. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Didnt someone say avoid using graveman in seattle because he still had a hard on for the mariners?  

That was me and I was joking. But he did give up a run to them I n that miserable loss we had a couple Sundays ago and now this. I guess it’s hard to pitch through a broken heart. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Who is our best pitcher?  Yeah- that's the guy you make sure you use and use in the highest leverage.  It's Graveman over Stanek and anyone saying otherwise is being obtuse.  That doesn't mean everytime you make the right decision it works, or every time you make the wrong decision it doesn't work. It just means that you play the probabilities every time over 162 game, because when you do that you will have the best outcome possible.  In any one game sample probabilities don't mean shit.  Collectively over a large enough sample they do.

Does anyone here really want to argue Graveman isn't a better pitcher than Stanek?

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Who is our best pitcher?  Yeah- that's the guy you make sure you use and use in the highest leverage.  It's Graveman over Stanek and anyone saying otherwise is being obtuse.  That doesn't mean everytime you make the right decision it works, or every time you make the wrong decision it doesn't work. It just means that you play the probabilities every time over 162 game, because when you do that you will have the best outcome possible.  In any one game sample probabilities don't mean shit.  Collectively over a large enough sample they do.

Does anyone here really want to argue Graveman isn't a better pitcher than Stanek?

Right now you can argue that Stanek is just as reliable. Graveman is likely going through some mechanical issues that Strom and Baker are probably guarding against, and judging from Dusty's comments to 790 yesterday it sounds as if he's working on building up Stanek's confidence by showing his trust in him by using him in high leverage situations. He had two thoughts in mind when he used Stanek Monday night: 1) Stanek is warmed and ready, what's the message if I sit him down now? and 2) Graveman isn't warmed and ready, he's been a little iffy lately so why not hold off and use him later Tues or Wed instead?

Dusty proved himself doubly right by Graveman's bed-shitting last night.

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

Right now you can argue that Stanek is just as reliable. Graveman is likely going through some mechanical issues that Strom and Baker are probably guarding against, and judging from Dusty's comments to 790 yesterday it sounds as if he's working on building up Stanek's confidence by showing his trust in him by using him in high leverage situations. He had two thoughts in mind when he used Stanek Monday night: 1) Stanek is warmed and ready, what's the message if I sit him down now? and 2) Graveman isn't warmed and ready, he's been a little iffy lately so why not hold off and use him later Tues or Wed instead?

Dusty proved himself doubly right by Graveman's bed-shitting last night.

I've seen people split 9's against a dealer 10 in black jack and win. That doesn't mean that I want to invest in their blackjack acumen (or even be at the same table as them) over the course of the evening and playing a couple hundred hands.  There's a reason that the book exists.  It's not because it solves for every situation it's because it's better, over a long time period, than "going with your gut" in the moment.  

It sounds like you are trying to argue Stanek is better than Graveman right now. I'm not buying at all. 

But, I guess we can just agree to disagree on this, and the idea that Robles should be shot into the sun rather than brought up with expanded rosters.  

• Hook 'Em 1