2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 hours ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

kopech, tepera, and bummer going multiple innings sunday night followed up with a day game today where there won’t be nearly as much juice in the stadium. i think we stomp them this afternoon.

White Sox are going to get lucky and get a rainout today.  IDMAS.  

By all means, give Correa, Altuve, Yuli, and Bregman a little more motivation to stomp your ass.  
The sox only scoring 2 runs in 2 games in Houston and now at their first home game score 12 is far more susspicious if were going down that road.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

We’ve won 13 of our last 20 playoff games away from Minute Maid Park. Our home/away hitting splits this season are about as identical as a team can possibly have. How can this even be a talking point?

Because it implies that nobody has really lost to the Astros, it’s just that the Astros cheated. It’s the same reason the trash can bullshit was so overblown and sensationalized and embraced by opposing players (publicly at least - I’m not buying that any of them really fucking care or are surprised or didn’t know) and fans in the first place - because they get to feel better about the losses and blame someone else. They get to believe that nobody is really better than their team, but these heinous villains stole it. And now you have this dipshit saying the same thing - “we didn’t really get beat in Houston, and if we lose the series it’s because they’re cheating.

• Like 2

LMJ tomorrow and Framber for Game 1 or Game 5, god forbid.  Urquidy can also piggyback Game 5 if needed or if not he starts Game 2. 

Garcia starting before Urquidy didn't really make sense to me although I'm sure some confirmation bias is kicking in now.

Edited by WBT

5 minutes ago, Scraps said:

posted this in the other thread as well:

FBbNk4TVcAYRzqD?format=jpg&name=4096x409

The only one of these I've seen over a run all season...also, Ron Kulpa (ranked #92 of 99 for performance this season) is calling tonight's Tampa/Boston game. Guessing he got that assignment the same way Tom Hallion (#87 of 99) got last night's playoff gig - good MLB company man. Do with that information what you will, degenerate gamblers.

8 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

Some of y'all need to grow some thicker skin.  Other players, coaches, members of the media, etc., are going to keep talking shit.  I'm a lot more triggered by Dusty bringing in Yimi to face of a pair of switch hitters mid-AB than by the comments of some dumbass middle reliever.  

who’s the best guy out of the bullpen with runners in scoring position ?

Javier shod have been up 5mins earlier. Last night was the best he looked since early this season. He’s a better starter 

Edited by tx 3 putt

12 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

Some of y'all need to grow some thicker skin.  Other players, coaches, members of the media, etc., are going to keep talking shit.  I'm a lot more triggered by Dusty bringing in Yimi to face of a pair of switch hitters mid-AB than by the comments of some dumbass middle reliever.  

Well you're wrong to be more triggered by the manager who has his team up 2-1 after some obviously shitty MLB umpiring than some asshat reliever who intentionally dredges up 2017 to explain why the Astros hitters only scored six runs yesterday in a 12-6 loss. 

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Javier shod have been up 5mins earlier. Last night was the best he looked since early this season. He’s a better starter 

Maton was probably the best option because he's fairly good against both RHB and LHB.  Yimi is horrible against LHB.  

Just now, Starfleet Command said:

Maton was probably the best option because he's fairly good against both RHB and LHB.  Yimi is horrible against LHB.  

In which case you babies would cry about "wasting" Maton in the 3rd inning when he could've just used Yimi and saved Maton for later.....

jesus you leave luis in to get himself out of the jam with a lead.  if he does, you try to get at least another inning out of him.  he wasn't getting knocked around, he let some marginal calls throw him off.  trust your starter, trust machete.

when you pull him (mid-count) you commit to 6 innings of bullpen.  that's when the game changed.  not the bomb off yimi.

i'm sure this was discussed rationally last night, but i was not on the thread because reasons.

onward.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Right, but let's also not forget that Luis Garcia walked the leadoff hitter after getting up 0-2 on Robert, then continued to struggle with his command on two strike counts. He gave up a very loud and scary foul ball to Moncada and it looked like Garcia was on the ropes with his ability to throw quality pitches. Then he'd throw a quality pitch....It was a tough spot for any manager because you want your starter needs to go a little bit deeper and he's close to getting out of the inning but then the fucking ump screws your starter by missing an easy called third strike....It escalated quickly and that is on Luis Garcia with an assist from Haillon. 

4 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

In which case you babies would cry about "wasting" Maton in the 3rd inning when he could've just used Yimi and saved Maton for later.....

There were multiple runners on with the lead hanging in the balance.  Indeed, the three highest leverage ABs faced by the Astros pitching staff in the entire game were the three pitched by Yimi.  Keep in mind, Yimi has a .456 xwOBA against LHB since September 1, the worst mark on the entire team.  That's malpractice.  Just admit it.

https://www.fangraphs.com/plays.aspx?date=2021-10-10&team=White Sox&dh=0&season=2021

Whoever came in was facing two switch hitters and only needed to get one damn out. You bring in a lefty like Raley and they just turn him around. There are no "good" choices in that situation as the inning unraveled quickly on Luis Garcia--imo because he was fixated on that blown K call that led to a 2-run HR--and, as Baker explained it, Yimi gets warm quickly and can strand runners on base. I didn't like doing it at 2-0 but that's secondary to execution. PITCHERS PITCH. They're the ones who have to make quality pitches, not the manager. 

Luis missed his spot high and threw a changeup that Grandal hit for a HR, then Yimi missed his spot low and threw a 96 mph four-seamer right down the middle of the plate. In both instances Machete was calling for the ball inches from where it was thrown. 

22 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

jesus you leave luis in to get himself out of the jam with a lead.  if he does, you try to get at least another inning out of him.  he wasn't getting knocked around, he let some marginal calls throw him off.  trust your starter, trust machete.

Mild disagree. I went back and watched that inning again and he wasn't the same after the sequence of the Grandal at bat. He was missing his spots and notably frustrated on the mound. He gave up two singles after the HR to Grandal and the foul ball that Moncada blasted was on 1-1 and he left it middle in. That was probably the point where Dusty made up his mind that he needed to go to the pen, but Javier wasn't ready.