Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

34 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah. It makes no sense for top prospects to go play in a league no one watches vs. playing 1 season of college basketball and get a kick start on their brand.

The possibility of NIL and other changes having the paradoxal effect of keeping talented players in school a bit longer was always something that I felt had been ignored in the debate over the issue.  Now I'm not talking about certified first rounders (especially in basketball), but marginal prospects who often leave early despite minimal chance of being a 1st round NBA pick or football players with 3rd round or lower grades may think twice about leaving if they're making a little extra bank on the side.  Had NIL been introduced 25 or 30 years ago the 1 and done era wouldnt have ever existed.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

x-posting from 2022 football thread, from Gerry:

Dallas Showtime AAU had practice tonight. IT was told that [2022 Duncanville OL] Cam Williams was sporting the Oregon hat tonight, and iSchool Academy PG Arterio Morris was wearing Texas head-to-toe. IT was also told that the two chatted for a while by themselves during a couple of gatorade grabs. Bet that was an interesting convo.

From what I was told, it's Bob Donewald JR that's getting us in the door again with Marcus Carr. 

Maybe IT can confirm but this Donewald dude seems like he has some real power behind the scenes. Lots of talk about the assistants hired but this guy might be the most important hire out of the bunch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

From what I was told, it's Bob Donewald JR that's getting us in the door again with Marcus Carr. 

Maybe IT can confirm but this Donewald dude seems like he has some real power behind the scenes. Lots of talk about the assistants hired but this guy might be the most important hire out of the bunch. 

Beard fucking killed it with his staff. I'm hopefuly Sark did as well. And Pierce having both Allen and Tulo is pretty damn good, as well. Might we be entering period of consistent winning in our top 3 sports? All three programs seem stronger right now than any time I can remember in the last ten or so years.  That perception could change quickly in the Fall, of course.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Beard fucking killed it with his staff. I'm hopefuly Sark did as well. And Pierce having both Allen and Tulo is pretty damn good, as well. Might we be entering period of consistent winning in our top 3 sports? All three programs seem stronger right now than any time I can remember in the last ten or so years.  That perception could change quickly in the Fall, of course.

How is Men's Swimming not our #1 sport all-time?

Current national champs?

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Football really does drive the public's perception of athletics at Texas, but I totally agree with you. Our recent coaching upgrades for major sports are all impressive (especially for assistant coaches and recruiting), and Texas already destroyed national competition in many other sports this year. Things do feel brighter...but we wait for fall. 

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Texas' point man bag man for both the Tre Mitchell and Devin Askew recruitments?

[fixed it for Jeff]

I'm pretty sure Texas is playing that game but I don't think that's Donewald JR. 

Donewald JR has a lot of experience overseas, NBA, college basketball, G-league, etc. His dad was also a big name in the college basketball world in the Northeast. This just seems like a guy with a ton of connections. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Something also of note with Donewald JR is he was with Lebron the first few years in the NBA. Sounds like he was the coach really working with Lebron in practices and that they have some type of relationship. 

Bronny James is in the '23 class. Gotta think if Donewald JR is still on staff that Bronny James is going to be in play in the '23 class. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Something also of note with Donewald JR is he was with Lebron the first few years in the NBA. Sounds like he was the coach really working with Lebron in practices and that they have some type of relationship. 

Bronny James is in the '23 class. Gotta think if Donewald JR is still on staff that Bronny James is going to be in play in the '23 class. 

Bronny is a point guard I believe. About 6’ to 6’2”-ish. If he’s good enough for Texas, we should take him. If he’s not, then we can pass on that reality show. 

25 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Bronny is a point guard I believe. About 6’ to 6’2”-ish. If he’s good enough for Texas, we should take him. If he’s not, then we can pass on that reality show. 

He's a 5*, but not sure if it's because he's that good, or because of his dad. We shall see. I'd like to get him to Texas just to see LeBron and KD swing by. My only concern is LeBron is a huge fOSU honk, so I'm hoping he won't be a helicopter dad and send him there. 

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

He's a 5*, but not sure if it's because he's that good, or because of his dad. We shall see. I'd like to get him to Texas just to see LeBron and KD swing by. My only concern is LeBron is a huge fOSU honk, so I'm hoping he won't be a helicopter dad and send him there. 

#28 in the composite and no offers or at least no offers that he has announced. 

Just now, utfan87 said:

#28 in the composite and no offers or at least no offers that he has announced. 

Oh wow, didn't know that. I actually just saw he was a 5* on the front page of Google yesterday, but didn't bother reading the article. It just said something to the effect of 5* Bronny James blah blah blah 

7 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

So what’s the consensus on him?  He’s better than MJ’s kids, who were fringe high major guys, but not NBA lotto talent, right? 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So what’s the consensus on him?  He’s better than MJ’s kids, who were fringe high major guys, but not NBA lotto talent, right? 

I think most people are expecting him to continue to grow so the hype will be validated. His skillset/athleticism isn't amazing at 6'1-6'2, but if he's 6'7-6'9 doing that, then he's got a chance. 

The ratings and all that are probably due to the hype/bloodlines.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

34 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I think most people are expecting him to continue to grow so the hype will be validated. His skillset/athleticism isn't amazing at 6'1-6'2, but if he's 6'7-6'9 doing that, then he's got a chance. 

The ratings and all that are probably due to the hype/bloodlines.

He's probably somewhere in between Michael Jordan's kids and LaVar Ball's kids.

...but nothing like Magic Johnson's kid.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I'm pretty sure Texas is playing that game but I don't think that's Donewald JR. 

Donewald JR has a lot of experience overseas, NBA, college basketball, G-league, etc. His dad was also a big name in the college basketball world in the Northeast. This just seems like a guy with a ton of connections. 

Donewald Sr. used to coach at Illinois St back in the 1970's.  Was a Bob Knight asst prior to that, so that may be the connection to Beard.

On 6/30/2021 at 3:03 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Rodney Terry 

HOOPS

Texas continues the pursuit of Minnesota transfer point guard Marcus Carr. The Longhorns have engaged in multiple Zoom and phone calls with the 6-foot-2 prospect. The competition for Carr is and will be tough, but the Texas staff has multiple connections to people very close to Carr.

After not receiving an invite to the NBA Combine two weeks ago, one more year in college became a reality and UT instantly became one of the teams to beat due to the connections of two staff members.

Carr will instantly become one of the top returning point guards in college basketball coming off an All-Big Ten third team selection (coaches) after averaging 19.4 points, 4.0 rebounds, 4.9 assists and 1.3 steals per game for the Gophers. He finished the season third in the Big Ten in scoring and assists.

Carr’s first season at Minnesota was even more impressive than the 2020-21 campaign. In 31 starts, the Toronto, Ontario native that finished high school at Montverde Academy near Orlando averaged 15.4 points, 5.3 rebounds and 6.7 assists.

IT does not know a timetable for Carr’s decision, but the tea leaves suggest not long after July 7th, if he doesn’t decide before that.

Texas continues to be in a strong position for 6-foot-4 guard Keyonte George (iSchool Academy, Lewisville) and 6-foot-3 point guard Arterio Morris (iSchool Academy, Lewisville)). George wrapped up his June official visits with a trip to Oklahoma State on Monday-Wednesday, and could still make a trip to Kentucky for Big Blue Madness. As of today, IT is expecting George to announce in November, but that timetable could be moved up. Morris is yet to set up any other official visits, but Kansas and Georgia are receiving mention. Baylor continues to talk to the people close to Morris as the Bears are quietly setting up to try and make a run.

Texas continues to be in a good spot for five-star power forward Kijani Wright (Windward School/Los Angeles). The fact that the Longhorns didn’t push for Garland High power forward Zuby Ejiofor is a data point. The 6-foot-8, 215 Ejiofor committed to Kansas Thursday night over Arkansas and Oklahoma.

Texas also continues its pursuit of soon to be five-star big man Kel’el Ware (North Little Rock, AR). The skilled 6-foot-11 center is scheduled to make an official visit to Texas on the weekend of September 4th. Arkansas, Memphis, Oregon, USC, Baylor, and Kentucky is considered the competition, as of today.

Combo guard Cason Wallace (Richardson High) definitely caught the eye of Chris Beard last weekend, and the Longhorns have turned up the recruiting efforts. The 6-foot-3 versatile ball-handler plays both ends at a high level and is considered a Tennessee lean over Kentucky and Baylor currently. The lone June official for Wallace made was to Tennessee. Rick Barnes’ Volunteer staff has a strong connection to the D/FW area.

Team and Sark recruiting info still to come.

• Hook 'Em 1