2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

Yeah... that's not accurate at all. Players drafted from high school were pretty successful in general. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_high_school_draftees#List

That's a pretty good list.   Most of those guys had good long careers in the league.

I've always felt that the owners/GM's were pushing college to protect themselves from their own stupidity and bad player evaluations.

That list provides more evidence.

And it's not like every college player is a hit.

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Uhm..... yea.  Ain't nobody paying that.

Maybe it's a situation where his agent plans to "offer high, but accept much lower", I'm thinking he can garner at least half of that from competing offers...

Eh, other teams can only offer 4 years, so 50 million would be 12.5m a year. That's not too bad for Ariza next year, but he's 33, and you got to think he won't be worth it in a year or two. A team option for the last year would make that more reasonable. 

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

I've always felt that the owners/GM's were pushing college to protect themselves from their own stupidity and bad player evaluations.

That list provides more evidence.

And it's not like every college player is a hit.

Every move they've made in each CBA has been to protect themselves from their own stupidity.   Salary cap, rookie pay schedule, max contracts, one and done, etc.   You can't fix stupid though so they constantly sign shitty guys to shitty contracts and get into over cap/lux tax situations.

3 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Spurs should trade him to the team that gives them the best bundle back, if that's in the West so be it.

True, as the only good teams in the east that could bundle a package are Philadelphia & Boston I would imagine; so that leaves the west in Los Angeles (both franchises) as options...

1 hour ago, Snacks said:
On 6/15/2018 at 11:40 AM, Patrick Bateman said:
I'm going to guess it's a good thing Mike Bibby isn't subject to PED testing anymore..... emoji15.png

Whoa.... Dude is HGH'd up... look at his face.

It must be sold over the counter at the grocery store near his home... An honest mistake as he only intended to use a rub on cream for sore joints...

I am shocked, SHOCKED that Butler wouldn't like playing with a ball dominant, can't shoot/dribble/pass/defend wing who views basketball as merely a means to an end and is about to be paid elevnty billion dollars over the next few years.

I would say more but I'm concerned about Minnesotahorn's well-being.

Edited by Message Board User

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

yea wiggins sucks. need to find a sucker for him this off season, theres always someone out there willing to take on his potential of MN takes back a bad contract but more useful player

It's always kind of a shame whenever potential goes untapped, but I believe that Wiggins could be a very good player if he put in the work necessary.  But he's still the same player he was at Kansas 4 years ago which leads me to believe he just doesn't care enough to improve his game.  And if Butler and Thibs couldn't get through to him last year it's doubtful that ever happens.

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

yea wiggins sucks. need to find a sucker for him this off season, theres always someone out there willing to take on his potential of MN takes back a bad contract but more useful player

Ship him off to Charlotte..... Jordan is a terrible owner/President.  We can all agree on this, right?!?!

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

It's always kind of a shame whenever potential goes untapped, but I believe that Wiggins could be a very good player if he put in the work necessary.  But he's still the same player he was at Kansas 4 years ago which leads me to believe he just doesn't care enough to improve his game.  And if Butler and Thibs couldn't get through to him last year it's doubtful that ever happens.

yep, I dont think you could've said it any better. failed gamble all together which is a shame. he can look real good when applied and not settling for 19 foot jump shots. ah well, wasnt gonna get a better package for Love at the time of the trade. Michael Knight has been a big Wiggins supporter since day 1, and I keep telling him hes wasting his time rooting for him but he doesnt want to listen.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

What if I wake up with Gal Gadot sitting on my face?

More probable than any of that shit above your post happening...... Cavs could have had George last year but Leborn wouldn't commit to staying in Cleveland beyond this year so it didn't happen.... Now he's going to sign there?  SMH.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

More probable than any of that shit above your post happening...... Cavs could have had George last year but Leborn wouldn't commit to staying in Cleveland beyond this year so it didn't happen.... Now he's going to sign there?  SMH.

That and it's unlikely that the Spurs would take the Cavs first round pick and Kevin Love for Kawhi. Kevin Love isn't exactly the type of player you want to try to help rebuild a team with.

45 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

these highly sought after free agents are just gonna sign a bunch of 1 year deals from here on out

OKC might entertain a Melo for Wiggins trade. At least they know they can keep Wiggins going forward, but I have no idea how he would do next to Westbrook. It might help to drive his usage rate down and push him to be more efficient.

If you just want to dump him, then there may be a desperate team that would take him. Nets, Grizz, Knicks, Kings, magic. It's a tough pill to swallow, but Detroit took on Blake's enormous contract last season, and I didn't think that would happen for a few years.

9 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Doesn't matter of pg or cousins want to go there,  Cleveland is capped out. Those two would have to play for the min, or maybe a share of the mle.  

21 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

how did the nets end up with Mozgovs terrible contract he signed with the Lakers anyways? Charlottes obviously taking it on so they dont have to deal with the headache 

they took him to get Russell.

I thought Dwight had a very good year for CHA and I didn't hear of any issues with him this season.    MJ is involved in this so I'm gonna default to it being a bad move until proven otherwise.

Edited by d2o

Not sure that there has ever been a player with as many stats and accolades as Dwight achieve such a well-deserved "cancer" status. 

With his career stats, he should be just about a lock for the Hall of Fame. I mean, just look at this:

• 8X All-Star
  • 5X All-NBA 1st Team, plus 3x other All-NBA
  • 3X DPOY
  • 6X NBA Rebounds Leader and 15th career all-time 
  • 4X Top-5 in MVP voting
  • Slam-Dunk Champion
  • Top-50 All-Time in Win Shares

And he is coming off a season where he averaged 16.6 PPG, 12.5 RPG (4th in NBA), 1.6 BLK (10th in NBA), 55% FG, 57% FT (his best in 7 years)...

Yet he is getting traded for Mozgov and a couple of 2nd Rounders.  Amazing.

If he can somehow fit in with the Nets, this was an amazing steal for them.  Even if he doesn't, you get his expiring contract. The Hornets must have HATED him.

22 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He's a fraud and everyone knows it...... Mozgov gets reunited with Mitch!!!!

Man, it wasn't THAT long ago that Dwight was a consensus Top 5 player and legitimate MVP candidate. Bad back + an evolving league + terrible locker room farts = NBA pariah.

LeBron gets heaps of credit for dragging that '07 Cavs team to the Finals...the '09 Magic were almost as bad. Their starting backcourt was Courtney Lee and Rafer Alston (yes, Skip to my Lou), and they depended on Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu the create offense. Redick was on the roster but still hadn't really found his place in the league. Dwight mowed through the East* (and LeBron) to the tune of 20 and 15.

*Again, as always, the lesson is that the East fucking blows.

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Man, it wasn't THAT long ago that Dwight was a consensus Top 5 player and legitimate MVP candidate. Bad back + an evolving league + terrible locker room farts = NBA pariah.

LeBron gets heaps of credit for dragging that '07 Cavs team to the Finals...the '09 Magic were almost as bad. Their starting backcourt was Courtney Lee and Rafer Alston (yes, Skip to my Lou), and they depended on Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu the create offense. Redick was on the roster but still hadn't really found his place in the league. Dwight mowed through the East* (and LeBron) to the tune of 20 and 15.

*Again, as always, the lesson is that the East fucking blows.

Fantastic year for him, but again, the East was really bad too.  Jammer Nelson had a great year but got hurt in February and didn't return until the Finals.  Everything went right for them too.  Garnett was hurt fort the playoffs, Ray Allen had turned into a bench guy (who was still starting), and Hedo and Lewis got hot and played well.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
2 hours ago, d2o said:
Well scratch what I said........

"The (Hornets) locker room did not like Dwight Howard," @bwood_33 says on @SiriusXMNBA "Guys were just sick and tired of his act."

Haha. Doesn't shock me. I think hes hated everywhere hes played.

...and probably a few places he hasn’t.

https://www.netsdaily.com/2018/6/20/17435204/a-history-of-the-dwightmares-i-through-v

Apparently Dwight really loved orlando.  As told by jj Reddick

“So we play the game, we get on the bus, and we get on the plane, and then I was kind of in the back of the players section, listening to music and then all of a sudden I notice that guys are kind of goofing around, and they start taking pictures, and it’s like, this is our last time together. We’re gonna take pictures. So they start taking photos of each other, I think somebody had posted a photo on Twitter.

“And then like after five minutes, Dwight’s just like, ‘you know what, I love you guys. I’m coming back.’

“And really, that was it! That was it! There was no, like — there wasn’t a heart-to-heart, it was just he was having a good time on the plane, and decided he wanted to come back. And I’m sure there was more to it than that, but —