2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

Congrats to OKC. They're paying a ton of money for a team that almost certainly won't win a title...but they're a relevant basketball team for at least 3 years. I'm not surprised that PG resigned, but I'm stunned that he's committing long term. I wonder how much being the third wheel for the Lakers these past few weeks (as opposed to he an LeBron taking over LA) altered his perspective.

This is exactly why I was so high on San Antonio landing LeBron at this point last season: I just felt that, for once, things wouldn't work out how he hoped this offseason, and he'd be stuck with his 4th or 5th choice. Granted, that was before Kawhi went ape shit, and obviously SA isn't an option now.

I mean, where would LeBron be going if Kawhi was still content in SA? There's no way he'd be going to LA completely on his own.

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Congrats to OKC. They're paying a ton of money for a team that almost certainly won't win a title...but they're a relevant basketball team for at least 3 years. I'm not surprised that PG resigned, but I'm stunned that he's committing long term. I wonder how much being the third wheel for the Lakers these past few weeks (as opposed to he an LeBron taking over LA) altered his perspective.

This is exactly why I was so high on San Antonio landing LeBron at this point last season: I just felt that, for once, things wouldn't work out how he hoped this offseason, and he'd be stuck with his 4th or 5th choice. Granted, that was before Kawhi went ape shit, and obviously SA isn't an option now.

I mean, where would LeBron be going if Kawhi was still content in SA? There's no way he'd be going to LA completely on his own.

Lebron likes to Boogie???

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I guess Houston won their negotiation with CP3 getting him to sign for 4 years, not 5. There's no chance that he gets $40M when he's 37, so that's actually a bit of a sacrifice on his part.

Looks like a nice compromise...... But those last two years are gonna be rough.

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I guess Houston won their negotiation with CP3 getting him to sign for 4 years, not 5. There's no chance that he gets $40M when he's 37, so that's actually a bit of a sacrifice on his part.

“Won” The only thing that is clear is that they agreed to something like this before he was traded from the Clippers. They committed to being all in no matter the financial ramifications. I can respect that. But 40x4 for a 33 year old point guard isn’t something you do unless you took the Warriors to game 7.  

3 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I think he’ll be fine. There are a lot of avenues to build a team. 

In the Western Conference?? Ball, LeBron, Kawhi (IF they get him by February), and...Cousins. That's an expensive weak 3 seed at best.

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

In the Western Conference?? Ball, LeBron, Kawhi (IF they get him by February), and...Cousins. That's an expensive weak 3 seed at best.

I just mean, no team with Paul George has ever won a title. If youre starting with LeBron, cap space, and tradeable young assets, you’re in good shape. Also, I’ve come to like LeBron as I’ve gotten older and don’t get all the sour grapes. Lots of misplaced anger because of Kawhi’s betrayal of the Spurs Way. 

25 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think next off-season is the real key if he wants to play with Kawhi. I just don't see why the Lakers would unload so much for him when he will be free next season

Yea, that went real well with Paul George...... the same exact strategy just fucked them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

Greek Freak and Kyrie ?

Assuming Kawhi and Lebron end up in the West: 

Lebron, Kawhi, Durant, CP3, Harden, Curry, A. Davis, Westbrook would all certainly be ranked above those guys. That's 8. 

Then you have other players like Butler, Draymond Green, Klay Thompson, Paul George, Cousins, KAT, and Gobert. 

I would probably have Giannis in the top 10 but it's close. I don't think Kyrie is a top 10 player. 

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I agree. He’s running on fumes imo.

So what should Houston do? let him walk and sign a cheap back up PG? lol. This is the new NBA of over sign for guys and see what happens. 

The Warriors will rule the west over the next few years anyways so run it back with Harden and Paul, or get a shitty backup and be 5th or 6th in the west. Warriors will win anyways so might as well give it a shot rather than having cap space and still not winning? 

17 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So what should Houston do? let him walk and sign a cheap back up PG? lol. This is the new NBA of over sign for guys and see what happens. 

The Warriors will rule the west over the next few years anyways so run it back with Harden and Paul, or get a shitty backup and be 5th or 6th in the west. Warriors will win anyways so might as well give it a shot rather than having cap space and still not winning? 

The rockets had no choice. They signed up for this last off-season. Now let's see how bad they have to bend over for Capela.

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The rockets had no choice. They signed up for this last off-season. Now let's see how bad they have to bend over for Capela.

I'm not saying I love the deal and I agree that Paul has broken down every season so that chance gets even greater, But the Reward is a lot higher with Paul than any PG option they would have signed on the cheap. Plus had the said no it would have hurt them with other free agents over the next two years.

I think they will way over spend to keep capella now that they lost Ariza and losing Capella means they will end up grabbing some d league center/pf to start. 

10 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

according to the graphic they are showing on espn2, the thunder could save almost $100 million if they were to stretch carmelo anthony.  

RIght, there is almost zero chance they go into the season with Melo on the roster

I don’t understand how people are trying to act as if PG signing for OKC isn’t a big thing. Are they supposed to just trade everything and bottom out since they don’t have a good shot at a title? Plus, those fans have been hearing about how trading for him was worthless since he’d be a Laker in a year. Let them celebrate.