2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

9 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I hope this is sincere. Someone really needed to get in Lebron's ear and tell him that a patient team building approach might net better results. 

He's 33 years old, I think he no longer gives a shit if he wins another championship. His legacy is secure this is about building his brand globally

And here's some confirmation that Lebron was heading to LA, with or without help.
It's interesting that even though the Lakers FO has been in disarray for years, Lebron still gave them more of a commitment than he did the Cavs back in 2014.
Lebron really didn't like Gilbert.

The FO was n disarray when Mitch and Buss were in the driver's seat. Magic and Pelinka are gold.

16 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

No it sounds like you live in that shithole they call Houston, TX. I would rather live in Cleveland than Houston.

I've been in California for the past 7 months, this state is a cesspool with nice weather, cant wait to get back to Texas

• Like 5

So only how many big money FA left: LaVine, Capela and Cousins?

Should the Hawks offer 4 yr max to Cousins and force the Pelicans into a difficult choice? Hawks are not going be good in that timeframe anyway. It is a huge risk but if Cousins comes back healthy, they would have plenty to gain.

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Lance Stephenson just agreed to terms with the Lakers. Our JR Smith!

this is some crazy shit going down. Why TF would Magic do that? (who is the LA gm anyway??).   I guess this proves Bron isn't calling the shots, right?

Edited by Orca of Peace

Have the Spurs lost leverage with any team out there who might have wanted to trade for Kawhi? With Lebron waiting there, Kawhi is no doubt going to the Lakers next offseason. Unless something drastic changes before then. He's made it clear well before this move he wants to go there. Now its a done deal. So which team is giving up assets for a one year rental? When that team would not be beating GSW this year anyways. Would be dumb as hell. I can not think of one realistic team who could trade for him and that move pushes them ahead of GSW. So they might as well stay put.

Will the Spurs now get nothing in return?

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Have the Spurs lost leverage with any team out there who might have wanted to trade for Kawhi? With Lebron waiting there, Kawhi is no doubt going to the Lakers next offseason. Unless something drastic changes before then. He's made it clear well before this move he wants to go there. Now its a done deal. So which team is giving up assets for a one year rental? When that team would not be beating GSW this year anyways. Would be dumb as hell. I can not think of one realistic team who could trade for him and that move pushes them ahead of GSW. So they might as well stay put.

Will the Spurs now get nothing in return?

The Spurs should've traded him much sooner. The more that the free agent picture is clearing up, the more the Spurs are losing their leverage in a trade. Why would any FO want to deal away very much for an assured 1 year rental? I think the Spurs just couldn't face reality and they have fucked themselves. 

Edited by immortal13
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

The Spurs should've traded him much sooner. The more that the free agent picture is clearing up, the more the Spurs are losing their leverage in a trade. Why would any FO want to deal away very much for an assured 1 year rental? I think the Spurs just couldn't face reality and they have fucked themselves. 

Exactly. Unless that team thinks they can trade for him and entice him into staying but that is really risky. And again, I don't see any team who would jump past GSW by getting Kawhi for this season only. I mean maybe Houston but they aren't a realistic option right now.

Spurs might not get anything back for what was supposed to be the franchise piece of the team after the 2014 title.