2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

3 hours ago, Swearengen said:

I decided to look up the numbers instead of just preaching my opinion. so according to basketball-reference.com their career numbers are as followed:

RODMAN:

Games- 911, Seasons- 14

FG- 3, FGA- 5.8, FG% .521

2pt- 2.9, 2ptA- 5.4, eFG% .529

3pt- .1, 3ptA- .04, 3pt% .231

FT- 1.2, FTA- 2, FT% .584

ORB- 4.8, DRB- 8.4 AST- 1.8

STL- .7, BLK -.6, PTS 7.3

2x all star. 7x RBD champ. 2x all NBA. 8x all defensive. 2x def poy

GREEN:

Games- 70, Seasons- 6

FG- 3.3, FGA-7.6, FG% .438

2pt- 2.4, 2ptA- 4.8, eFG% .500

3pt- .9, 3ptA- 2.9, 3pt% .327

FT- 1.7, FTA- 2.3, FT% .707

ORB- 1.2, DRB- 5.7, AST- 4.6

STL- 1.4 BLK- 1.1, PTS- 9.3

3x all star. 1x STL champ. 2x all NBA. 4x all defensive. 1x def poy.

Now, without question, Dennis Rodman was one of the greatest defenders of all time. 8x all defensive speaks to that. Also, one of the greatest rebounders of all time. A true elite. 13+ rebounds a game is fucking ridiculous. And despite attempting so few shots has both a respectable  FG% and eFG%. The man is a hall of famer, a beast on the court. Fucked Madonna when that was actually worth braging about and has one of the most appropriate nicknames of all time. You will hear no argument from me about the greatness of Dennis Rodman.

HOWEVER, to dismiss Draymond Green as a poor mans Rodman is ridiculous and patently wrong. Green is a cog in one of the most dynamic offenses in NBA history. 4.6 AST as a PF is insane. He is a undersized defender just like the worm and is one of the best in the game. 4x all defensive team in only 6 seasons. He doesn't rebound as well as Rodman, again very few do, but with 1.4 STLs and 1.1 BLKs a game his numbers stack up more than well when compared to Rodman. And a 1x STL champ at 6'9" is Hakeem levels of good. Also, Green's numbers across the board in regards to 3pt shooting are highly superior to Rodman's.

Like I said, you get no argument from me about the greatness of Dennis Rodman. But Draymond Green is the evolution of Rodman. He's Rodman 3.0. He is a PF that facilitates his team's offense and shoots 3s at a .327 clip. He is might not rebound like the worm, but he is far superior on the offensive end of the court.

Rodman is outballing a slew of current players with that 911 games total, in  a more physical time...

15 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lmao! I simply posted the pic for discussion purposes you fucking dork. Or do you actually think I made this meme?

i'm well aware you didn't make the meme.  way too much info in it aside from, "he's a bitch!" or "lulz he sucks."

Edited by BigOrange1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Changing your opinion by the meme du jour is a hard life.

Agreed, I change my mind sometimes before I even remember what I forgot...

Here are some of the alleged underground hype for some of these under the radar signings of the summer in the NBA:

19 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

40086277_1955188607910844_68783935648128

Well, I certainly think there is some anti-Lonzo narrative out there,  and it hasn't been helped obviously with his father pontificating huge hype on his son.  Good for creating media attention, maybe not as good for putting a target on Lonzo's back.  Lonzo actually showed some really good things last year in three areas -- playmaking, rebounding, and defense.  I think there is a lot to like there for Laker fans going forward in those areas.  His major problem of course is his offensive game.  In particular, many people look at his three point shooting, but it's much more his horrendous - and horrendous is being generous - free throw shooting and how that impacts his aggressiveness on the drive as this weapon is essentially mute right now.  He needs to get his conversion rate on drives to the hoop higher (whether converting the hoop or hitting at least 70-75% at the line) as that will open up his passing lanes and outside shot even more.  His natural passing and court vision are already there (and I believe his court vision is better than 90% of current NBA players already) and that is not something easily taught, but how he integrates moving forward with one of the best passing forwards of all-time will be very interesting to me.

Chriss has a team option for 4m next year, so if he doesn't work out, he could be a nice trade chip. Knight is a cheaper contract than Anderson by 7m a year, so this opens up more space in 2019. Great deal for the Rockets, no idea what the Suns are thinking, but I'll be happy they took it. Melton must look pretty good to them.

18 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Maybe this opens a spot for Corey Brewer back to the Thunder...

It's so hard to say goodbye, as Boys 2 Men once said.  He's made $5M the last 3 years and has one more year left on the deal.  $20M and barely got off the bench of the last 3 years, all the while still looking like he's 14.

• Like 1

Good low risk trade by the Rockets.  They obviously get a little salary relief, and while they do give up a reasonably promising rookie, he wasn't someone realistically playing deep into the playoffs this year.  Knight if healthy would be fine as a backup to help Paul avoid injury as he ages.  I don't think he is a very good shooter and he's decent but nothing special as a playmaker but he is 35% from 3 for his career, and this offense should give him better shots.  Chriss is very long and athletic, and his perimeter game is not developed well yet, but if he can just push his 3s from 29-30% to 34-35%, that's fine too.  He can play some backup 5, some stretch 4, although I am not sure if he can switch on all perimeter players effectively.  Best thing is that it opens up more potential moves especially another defensive wing to offset Ariza/Moute somewhat because not sure Ennis can capably be counted on for that role and I'm quite sure Melo can't do it.  

10 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

What the fuck is that trade for the Suns? Am I missing something?

The Melton kid is supposed to be pretty good but that shouldn't warrant taking back that shitty contract of Anderson.   They clearly like Bender better than Criss and they just plain stopped playing Knight.   So much so that he asked to be released.     All that said, one would imagine they could have something more than this for those two.    Great deal for HOU.    Get two solid rotation players for nothing and didn't even have to give up a pick.    AND save money in the process.   Doesn't get much better than that.       There is a reason PHX has been shitty for years.

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

It's so hard to say goodbye, as Boys 2 Men once said.  He's made $5M the last 3 years and has one more year left on the deal.  $20M and barely got off the bench of the last 3 years, all the while still looking like he's 14.

That was an incredible deal...................for Singler.   Sets him up great for life.

Edited by d2o

55 minutes ago, d2o said:

The Melton kid is supposed to be pretty good but that shouldn't warrant taking back that shitty contract of Anderson.   They clearly like Bender better than Criss and they just plain stopped playing Knight.   So much so that he asked to be released.     All that said, one would imagine they could have something more than this for those two.    Great deal for HOU.    Get two solid rotation players for nothing and didn't even have to give up a pick.    AND save money in the process.   Doesn't get much better than that.       There is a reason PHX has been shitty for years.

At this point, neither Knight or Chriss are for sure rotation players for the Rockets. Knight hasn't played in over a year, and Chriss is currently 4th on the C depth chart. My best guess is that one or both are moved for a wing before too long.

7 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I need to find his agent to get me a role in a film or two...
What I hope happens in this case it that Corey Brewer is added to the team in place of Singler, at least he can contribute to the team on offense & defense, a Roberson-light...

On 8/31/2018 at 9:39 PM, kopp0e said:

I need to find his agent to get me a role in a film or two...
What I hope happens in this case it that Corey Brewer is added to the team in place of Singler, at least he can contribute to the team on offense & defense, a Roberson-light...

Brewer was a great add... good all-around contribution off the bench

• Like 1

15 hours ago, d2o said:

LA will have about 37M free next summer.   

Luol Deng Buyout Clears Path for LA to Chase Kevin Durant in 2019 ...

Bleacher Report-12 hours ago
Luol Deng's run with the Los Angeles Lakers is officially over. ... He may not leave the Golden State Warriors, but if he is interested, the Lakers ...

14 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Brewer was a great add... good all-around contribution off the bench

I'm thinking that may have been what contributed to stretching Singler...

I think the Lakers have done pretty well to at least set themselves up to have options and flexibility without sacrificing their young core.  (Hart, Kuzma, Ingram, Lonzo)

The Deng/Mosgov contracts are essentially almost indefensible and a prime reason the Lakers were right to strip Buss (son not Jeanie) of basketball operations.  I also like having a former super agent with deep ties to the league, players, and the salary cap as a part of their GM team now.  They have managed to minimize that contract damage and even got rid of IMHO a bad seed (no way he can likely ever be a leader) in Russell going to the Nets.

The Lakers won't likely get KD, but they should target him, Kawhi, and also Klay Thompson (very unlikely too, but he would feast maybe as well or better as with GS with LeBron and Lonzo as play makers on the same team) next year.  I wouldn't go after Butler personally, I think he is a pretty good player but not worth the max salary slot he would command for their specific roster going forward.  If you imagine a Lakers death lineup in key stretches of Lonzo, KCP/Hart, Kawhi, Ingram/Kuzma, and LeBron that's a pretty good overall lineup with the ability to switch well, good passers, and a lot of speed, length, and athleticism everywhere.  Offensively, not as sure.  

17 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

...bdda4d08bbac83e9a8d312a357bd3908.jpg

If they were smart, they should go hardest after Klay (assuming KD is off the table). LA kid, dad was a Laker, he'll get just as many shots as he does now, probably more, and it weakens Golden State. A max contract would probably be an overpay, but it would be worth it to pry him off the Warriors.

... I just can't picture a scenario where Klay would choose to play alongside LeBron, even if he does opt to leave in lieu of taking a home team discount.