Another police shooting. This one in Columbus, OH

Parliament

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh I'm an anomaly all right, but not a FOX watching anomaly. I grew up watching Uncle Walter, Huntley, Brinkley, and chancellor.  You didn't know what their political opinions were.

Journalists have become the story. Telling you the story. Shit stuff. All opinion based now. Most people can’t wipe their ass unless you tell them how. Sad really. But it’s how that mechanism works. My whole life I’ve always heard about public education and teachers and no funding. Never has been fixed and never will be. It’s how the political sausage is made. We bitch. They bitch. Nothing gets done except Congress does come together spectacularly to give themselves a raise. That’s super impressive 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Because this kind of reporting leads to false perceptions that make society a lot more divided and a lot more dangerous.  Not everyone knows it's bullshit.  See this recent poll for example:

blm misperception.jpg

Jeez with this stuff and the poll on the perceptions of Covid, you’d almost think the mainstream media is willfully trying to deceive people to certain destructive ends. Almost like they’re an enemy of the people. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

I have now watched this shitty video 9 times. She was attacking both women with a knife. Cop should have fired in the air on the shooting trying to save a life.

Was not nighttime. Had the sky been dark then....yeah...he’d have pumped a double-tap into the blackness.

53 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Just so you know... You're using the exact same terms and talking points as Qanon nutjobs. Media cabals being said as a serious thing just makes me laugh and remember aggy's obsession with the BOMC

I thought we (most sane human beings in this country) had just accepted the fact that all media now advocates for an agenda. There is overwhelming evidence to support that idea. How anyone could argue with that is beyond me. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Ridingtosunset said:

I thought we (most sane human beings in this country) had just accepted the fact that all media now advocates for an agenda. There is overwhelming evidence to support that idea. How anyone could argue with that is beyond me. 

You have 93 rep points. No one trusts you. You could be the enemy. 

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Heard one coworker say to another that this was a "good shoot" and god I hate it when people adopt the lingo of cops and troops.

I agree its a little cringe-y. Unfortunately we are at a point in this country where each time footage of these shootings are released, we jump right into judgement mode. Good shoot / bad shoot? It has become part of our pop culture, sadly. 

21 minutes ago, Ridingtosunset said:

I agree its a little cringe-y. Unfortunately we are at a point in this country where each time footage of these shootings are released, we jump right into judgement mode. Good shoot / bad shoot? It has become part of our pop culture, sadly. 

200.gif

Is the topic of this thread about the actual event or how "the media" is portraying it? Maybe y'all need to back off from the 24-hour shit and Twitter headlines and shift to just consuming day after reporting if you want to avoid incomplete accounts that are not 100% accurate.

Here's an example of factual article with not too much apparent bias on yesterday's event:

• Article opens with official account of occurrence as state by the police
  • Article goes on by reporting on reactions in the community to the event
  • Article notes police released footage quickly in anticipation of reaction
  • Article provides some context to explain negative reactions by some in community

Teenage Girl Is Fatally Shot by Police in Columbus, Officials Say
The police in Ohio, who released body camera footage, said the girl had threatened two other girls with a knife before an officer opened fire.

A teenage girl who the police say threatened two girls with a knife was fatally shot by an officer in Columbus, Ohio, on Tuesday afternoon, shortly before a jury reached a guilty verdict in the murder trial of the former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin in last year’s killing of George Floyd.

The girl’s death cast an immediate pall over public expressions that justice had been served in Mr. Floyd’s case and touched off protests in Ohio’s capital city.

At a news conference on Tuesday night, the Columbus Division of Police released body camera footage from the officer, who officials said had been responding to a 911 call about an attempted stabbing around 4:45 p.m. in the southeastern part of the city.

The video showed an officer’s view while approaching a chaotic altercation in a driveway involving at least four people, asking “What’s going on?” Played in slow motion, the footage showed a person in a black shirt lunging first at someone who fell to the ground, then moving with what appeared to be a knife toward someone in pink cowering by a parked car. The officer shouted “get down!” repeatedly and pulled a gun out, firing four shots at the teenager. She collapsed to the ground near the car, dropping the weapon.

The girl who was killed was identified as Ma’Khia Bryant, 16, by a spokeswoman for Franklin County Children’s Services, who said in an email on Tuesday night that Ma’Khia had been in foster care.

“No matter what the circumstances, that family is in agony and they are in my prayers,” Ned Pettus Jr., the public safety director for the city of Columbus, said during the news conference. “They deserve answers. Our city deserves answers. I want answers, but fast, quick answers cannot come at the cost of accurate answers.”

The name of the officer, who officials said has been taken off the street while the shooting is investigated, was not released. The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation will conduct an independent inquiry, which local officials said is standard whenever an officer shoots someone. Earlier on Tuesday night on Twitter, Mayor Andrew Ginther of Columbus urged residents to keep the peace as protesters descended on the scene while the authorities reviewed the bodycam footage that was later released.

“This afternoon a young woman tragically lost her life,” the mayor said on Twitter. “We do not know all of the details.”

A woman interviewed by The Columbus Dispatch identified the victim, who was Black, as her teenage niece. The woman, Hazel Bryant, told the newspaper that her niece lived in a foster home and got into an altercation with someone else at the home.

The timing and circumstances of the shooting unnerved people in the neighborhood. Rayshawn Whiting said in an interview on Tuesday night that he was planning to watch the Chauvin verdict at his brother’s house just a few blocks away when he heard the gunshots. When he saw on social media what was going on, he walked down the street to join the throng of protesters who reached between 150 and 200 people at their peak.

“I’ve got daughters,” he said. “And I’m tired of it. I feel like a polar bear with the ice caps melting. We have nowhere to run. If we protect ourselves, we go to jail. If we don’t, we die.”

Chris Roberts said in an interview that he was in his backyard with his twin daughters when he heard the gunshots from just a few yards away. He said they ran in the house and called 911. Since the shooting, he said, his daughters did not want to be alone.

“How do I teach my daughters when you call for help, and you expect help to come, you could be on the other side of the gun?” he said.

A crowd of protesters gathered outside the city’s police building, local news media reported.

The teenager’s death quickly received widespread attention, including from Ben Crump, the Floyd family’s lawyer, amid a continuing reckoning over police accountability and systemic racism.

“As we breathed a collective sigh of relief today, a community in Columbus felt the sting of another police shooting” Mr. Crump said. “Another child lost! Another hashtag.”

Earlier Tuesday night, when members of the Columbus City Council were discussing the need for a civilian review board for police accountability, Shannon Hardin, the council’s president, addressed the shooting.

“As we watched the verdict from Minneapolis many talked about a sigh of relief, but there is a truth that for so many in our community there is no relief,” Mr. Hardin said. “This is not right. It’s not OK, and it can’t continue on.”

Michael Woods, the interim police chief of Columbus, said at the news conference later Tuesday night that it was unprecedented in the city for body camera footage to be released so quickly after a shooting by an officer.

“We wanted to get that out as soon as possible,” he said.

Columbus has been gripped by tension over police shootings since early December, when Casey Goodson Jr., 23, was shot to death at the entrance of his home by a Franklin County sheriff’s deputy assigned to a fugitive task force.

Members of the task force had been in the area looking for someone in an operation that had nothing to do with Mr. Goodson.

Two weeks later, Andre Hill, 47, was shot four times by a Columbus police officer who was responding to a call about a suspicious vehicle. When officers arrived to investigate, they encountered Mr. Hill, and one of the officers, Adam Coy, a 19-year veteran, opened fire within seconds. Mr. Coy, who was fired after the shooting, was charged with felony murder in the case.

32 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Heard one coworker say to another that this was a "good shoot" and god I hate it when people adopt the lingo of cops and troops.

I would pay an entrance fee to watch you have to interact at work in O&G I think you said, with most of the types of men who work in that space. But you'd have to give your true and honest opinions in conversation. Such entertainment could be made into a Netflix show.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I would pay an entrance fee to watch you have to interact at work in O&G I think you said, with most of the types of men who work in that space. But you'd have to give your true and honest opinions in conversation. Such entertainment could be made into a Netflix show.

It's not as weird as you might think. They don't know what to make of me, really. I hate Democrats so I confuse them and for the most part I don't ever talk about this stuff. I certainly never start these conversations.

Also, social groups self-select. 

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

It's a small, impossible to hit target, and you have this little thing called the femoral artery that doesn't interact well to having holes in it.  

I like how the journalist prefaced the question by saying something like "Many people are asking...and it's a legitimate question..."

Uh, no, it's not a legit question.  the only people who think it's a legit question are fellow idiot journalists and the idiots in his twitter feed.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Because this kind of reporting leads to false perceptions that make society a lot more divided and a lot more dangerous.  Not everyone knows it's bullshit.  See this recent poll for example:

blm misperception.jpg

sum up the bars to state this in another way to show how fucking DISTORTED the convo about this topic is:

Very Liberal:  80%+ believe the  shooting count is 10x to 1000x higher than it actually is.  50% believe it is atleast 100x higher than it is.

Moderate:  66%+ believe the  shooting count is 10x to 1000x higher than it actually is.  25% believe it is atleast 100x higher than it is.

this isn't just a little off.  it is disturbingly, frightfully off, and its the prejudiced ignorant basis off which people engage in these convo.  imagine lobbying.... i dunno against cars because you think there are 4,000,000 to 40,000,000 vehicular deaths per year (actual count is 40k). 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

I like how the journalist prefaced the question by saying something like "Many people are asking...and it's a legitimate question..."

Uh, no, it's not a legit question.  the only people who think it's a legit question are fellow idiot journalists and the idiots in his twitter feed.

Mostly it's people who don't own an AK-47 Assault rifle

11 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Most journalists don’t know shit anymore. Who, what, when, where, why and how. basic shit.

They have zero idea in the “why” so they skip it. “Why”got buried along with JFK. It doesn’t exist.” Why”isn’t relevant. They replace it with “we believe “ or “we think” or “we hope” or “studies show.”

no one wants to dig that deep unless there is someone willing to dig for them. If they have to self examine they won’t do it. They all have motives and motivating factor to say what they say and act how they do. I trust none of them. You almost have to run every news headline through several sources before you can trust what it says. 

fact checking. Why?

Edited by Nicole44

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I look forward to Twitter banning these accounts. 

Still waiting...

Yes, being upset with Twitter for uneven enforcement is valid.

Have any of y'all started wondering why you can't address the actual points I'm making but instead have to deflect to some other entity in order to respond? That should be telling you something about the specific point we're discussing.

"NPR reported facts accurately as they were available"

But Twitter enforces things unevenly!

But Valerie Jarrett made a stupid tweet!

But the New York Times tweeted a misleading headline!

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

And white males are like 15x more likely to be killed by a cop than a black female.

This is incredibly intellectually dishonest coming from someone who years ago understood and accurately discussed why accurate cohort analysis showed that Texas's SAT performance was actually better than Wisconsin's, referencing Iowahawk's study on the matter. It's also just as absurd as pointing out how much more likely a black male is to be killed by a cop than a white female.

Very poor post.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is incredibly intellectually dishonest coming from someone who years ago understood and accurately discussed why accurate cohort analysis showed that Texas's SAT performance was actually better than Wisconsin's, referencing Iowahawk's study on the matter. It's also just as absurd as pointing out how much more likely a black male is to be killed by a cop than a white female.

Very poor post.

But is it "factually accurate"......

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, being upset with Twitter for uneven enforcement is valid.

Have any of y'all started wondering why you can't address the actual points I'm making but instead have to deflect to some other entity in order to respond? That should be telling you something about the specific point we're discussing.

But Twitter enforces things unevenly!

But Valerie Jarrett made a stupid tweet!

But the New York Times tweeted a misleading headline!

ME: Is Huckleberry the worst poster on Surly?

NPR: People are asking the question if Huckleberry is the worst poster on Surly. It needs full investigation.

NYT: News sources are reporting that Huckleberry might be the worst poster on Surly. Something should be done.

CNN: Multiple news sources have noted that Huckleberry is the worst poster on Surly. Many are asking why nothing has been done?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Peace and unity. 

So far we have blatant misrepresentations and outright threats from.....the White House of the United States of America, and arguably the most well known athlete in the world, if not easily the US.  Anyone else want to throw their hat in the ring?

#unity

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Well he will never have 6 rings so he has to stay relevant somehow. 

Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick. I said never. He could always win rings by coaching a team. But I feel like once he’s done playing he will go Hollywood. He’s got Space Jam 2b