Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This isn’t terribly surprising as Ash’s NJ connections were the only reason we got a look in the first place. He’s a really talented player though.  His ranking should rise substantially, especially with all the exposure at IMG.

Roach

Spoiler

— Evan Stewart publicized several official visits, but I’d expect those dates to be pretty fluid. For one, it sounds like Stewart won’t visit Austin June 11-13. Under Armour’s Future 50 camp is that weekend and Stewart wants to attend. The good news for Texas is that Stewart is considering rescheduling for the next weekend when the Longhorns are set to host a huge group of visitors including most of their commits and other major targets. Stewart originally intended to visit Georgia that weekend, but he might push the Bulldogs back to the fall along with a trip to Alabama. Stewart said he wants to see a few schools during the season to get a sense of the game environment, but he also said he wants to get to Austin as quickly as possible. Stewart told me that Texas is pushing just as hard as they ever have at this point and in the past week he spoke with Steve Sarkisian, Andre Coleman and Brandon Harris. Harris in particular is shining in this recruitment as the two have forged a strong bond, but Sarkisian’s involvement is also a big part of the puzzle. At this point, Texas has a great chance to win him back and just needs to stay the course as this could go all the way to the wire.

— Duncanville defensive end Omari Abor only has one official visit set at this point and that’s a trip to Ohio State in June. Abor has been talking to Jeff Banks and he said he wants to make an unofficial trip to Austin as soon as possible. As for official visits, Abor said that he’s still deciding but might not take any of his to schools within driving distance. Texas has a lot of work to do in this one, but Abor said that he likes this staff a lot more than the previous one and has a great connection with Banks and Pete Kwiatkowski. Abor grew up an OU fan but he’s approaching this recruitment with a business-like mindset. The Sooners join Ohio State at the top of his list with Alabama and Texas A&M in a sneaky good position. Texas will need to do a lot of work to pass those programs up this summer.

— If there was any doubt about how much Texas was prioritizing Harold Perkins, it can be answered by asking who his primary recruiters at Texas are. Perkins said the two coaches he talks with most often are Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks. Perkins will take his official visit to Texas A&M June 4-6, but he’s undecided on any others at the moment. Perkins wants to mix his official visits between summer and fall and is still in the process of figuring his schedule out with his parents. He mentioned USC, Miami, Florida and Oregon as other schools he wants to see during his visits.

— Perkins’ teammate Owen Pewee is an impressive prospect in his own right. Another linebacker to watch in the 2022 class. Pewee holds offers 14 offers but bigger schools are starting to contact him. Texas is one of those schools as the Longhorns have opened contact with Pewee as well. While he’s not quite as physically developed as Perkins, Pewee has some impressive athleticism and could develop into a high major type of player. Pewee isn’t in any type of hurry and could really see his stock rise during the spring.

— Oklahoma commit Jordan Hudson remains in contact with Texas and is talking to the Longhorns about setting up an official visit. As I’ve been reporting since Hudson committed to Oklahoma, he is still open hearing from other schools and has some voices around him that prefer Texas. If the Longhorns get him on campus and push for him, I believe they could flip him at some point down the line. Hudson says he speaks with Andre Coleman and Steve Sarkisian weekly and he’s still getting the full court press from Maalik Murphy who he previously played 7v7 with. For Texas, it’s about sorting through the current options at wide receiver and filling out the remaining spots with the best talent they can find. Hudson is definitely in the group of top players at the position, but I’d expect the Longhorns will take some time with the process.

— Arlington Bowie offensive lineman Devon Campbell only has one visit scheduled at the moment with a trip to Oklahoma set for late June. He’s still trying to find open dates that works for schools, him and his parents to all be able to attend. Campbell likes Kyle Flood’s experience as a developer at Alabama and in the NFL, and he’s visited Texas more than anywhere else. He is looking forward to getting back and seeing the new facilities. Oklahoma might be the toughest competition as Bill Bedenbaugh is doing a great job recruiting him. For now, Texas and Oklahoma are the only two schools he knows he will visit officially. USC will likely get a trip as well, but several schools will be vying for the final two spots. Texas A&M has been coming on as of late, but Campbell said that a visit to College Station is still up in the air for now.

—Pilot Point athlete Ish Harris recently took trips to College Station and Norman to see the campuses for himself and he’s set to take a trip to Austin this summer. Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Texas, Miami and Utah make up an unofficial Top 5 for him, and he’s noticed the play of DeMarvion Overshown who he feels he could play like. Harris is in contact with Jeff Choate most often and he likes the relationship he’s forging there. Harris will be at Texas June 25 and he wants to take in the facility and the city of Austin. Despite being a small-town kid, Harris said he feels he could thrive in just about any environment. Texas A&M is putting the full court press on him with several coaches including Jimbo Fisher involved in the recruitment. Harris wants to study agricultural engineering so it’s hard not to see the Aggies as the favorite right now.

— Texas recently offered Florida State commit and Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Dillard defensive end Nyjalik Kelly. While he remains a strong commit to the Seminoles, Kelly expressed curiosity and interest in the Longhorns. Kelly said he’s in the process of setting up a visit with Texas and it will likely be an official visit this summer. Kelly is being recruited by Pete Kwiatkowski, but he doesn’t know a ton about the program yet. Miami, Florida, Penn State, West Virginia, Vanderbilt and Ohio State are other schools coming after him and trying to pull him away from his commitment at the time.

— Texas commit Armani Winfield has his visit scheduled for Texas this summer, but he’s also thinking about taking a few other trips. Penn State, USC and Baylor also have his attention and he wants to make sure he takes advantage of the recruiting process since he only gets to experience it once. Winfield said he’s solid in his commitment at the moment and he said the most contact he has is with Jeff Banks and he also talks with Steve Sarkisian and Andre Coleman a few times per week. This will be a recruitment to keep an eye on, but Winfield seems to be just testing the waters and enjoying the spoils of being a recruit.

• Hook 'Em 3

Not sure where he's at on our board, but IMG OL Aliou Bah surprisingly left Ohio State off of his top six recently when they were thought to have been his leader. OSU posters say that Ohio State wouldn't take his commitment

The top six are Texas, OU, A&M, Florida, FSU, and PSU

Also, tOSU's big OV weekend is June 4-6, which includes all of their commits 

OU 247 says that Texas is pushing hard for Agbo, and that OU is pushing hard for Hutson 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

— Evan Stewart publicized several official visits, but I’d expect those dates to be pretty fluid. For one, it sounds like Stewart won’t visit Austin June 11-13. Under Armour’s Future 50 camp is that weekend and Stewart wants to attend. The good news for Texas is that Stewart is considering rescheduling for the next weekend when the Longhorns are set to host a huge group of visitors including most of their commits and other major targets. Stewart originally intended to visit Georgia that weekend, but he might push the Bulldogs back to the fall along with a trip to Alabama. Stewart said he wants to see a few schools during the season to get a sense of the game environment, but he also said he wants to get to Austin as quickly as possible. Stewart told me that Texas is pushing just as hard as they ever have at this point and in the past week he spoke with Steve Sarkisian, Andre Coleman and Brandon Harris. Harris in particular is shining in this recruitment as the two have forged a strong bond, but Sarkisian’s involvement is also a big part of the puzzle. At this point, Texas has a great chance to win him back and just needs to stay the course as this could go all the way to the wire.

Has a $9.95er ever been upfront? Tell it like it is - A&M, Georgia, Alabama have one thing in common, $EC.

IT

Spoiler

LB Harold Perkins, Cy-Park (2022):

The state's top-rated linebacker was active on both sides of the field at the True Buzz Invitational over the weekend. Not only is he great in coverage, he’s playing like a hybrid safety/LB. At 6-foot-3, 205 pounds, he moves well for his size. Really well. Where do things stand with UT today?

"Texas looks real good," said Perkins. "(Coach Sarkisian and Coach Banks) and I talk a lot, staying in touch. Obviously, they came from Alabama so they know what it takes to win. I feel like they're fun to talk with, and not boring coaches. They have fun with the process and put you in the right position to be successful."

June official visits are hopefully on the horizon, and Perkins wants to use some this summer while saving a few for games this fall.

"I'm going to take both," Perkins explained. "I'm going to take a few during the season, and a few in the summertime. I've got Texas A&M scheduled for June 4th-6th. I speak with Jimbo (Fisher) a lot."

He's still scheduling his trip to Texas, and is hearing from USC, Miami, Florida, and Oregon. Those are all schools he'd like to visit as well. The athletic phenom is getting looks on both sides of the ball too.

"At the next level, I'll play anywhere," said Perkins. "Some schools like me at running back. Even Texas. But you have to look at it where Jaydon Blue is going over there, and Reuben Owens coming from the next class."

He's a linebacker with safety skills. While playing receiver during 7v7, his movements demonstrate just how valuable this freakish athlete can be. Texas and Texas A&M look grand today. Let's see how this plays out.

In a recent visit to Cy-Park, IT was informed what will resonate with Perkins is a different recruiting approach. Not just the normal Zoom calls and phone calls. Some outside the box thinking that grabs Perkins attention and is different.

Currently, Perkins is not expected to make a decision until the first week of January.

WR Jordan Hudson, Garland (2022) (Oklahoma):

The more I see, the more I like. With Hudson, one of the best receiving prospects in the state regardless of class, he's as big of a monster on defense in 7on7 as on offense. He'd easily be one of the most coveted corners if he chose that route. But he's inclined to score touchdowns catching passes. And that's just fine.

"It was fun," said Hudson after his performance in the tournament. "The intensity was up. We just stuck together as brothers and came out with the victory."

Hudson is the definition of a football player. At 6-foot-1, 185 pounds, the four-star receiver and Oklahoma pledge holds 21 offers including Alabama, Oregon, Tennessee, and Auburn. He explains he's an athlete who can play anywhere to win.

"We'll do anything to help our team win," Hudson said. "If that means me playing defense, then that's what we're going to do."

The highly productive junior notched 127 catches for 2,078 yards and 30 touchdowns over the last two seasons for Garland. Next up? Visits.

"I'm going to Norman in April, I think the 10th," Hudson said. "We're having a thing up there, doing a dinner with all the commits. I'll be up there for the weekend."

While it'll be an unofficial to OU, he's looking at an official trip to Austin.

"Texas, Oregon, Utah, and Tennessee are recruiting me hard," said Hudson. "Texas really wants me to stay home, to be true to my state. I'll probably see them this June."

Hudson remains a soft verbal for the Sooners, and UT remains vigilant in keeping the stud receiver closer to home.

On Friday, IT reported that Hudson was in the process of deciding what OV’s he would take, and if he would remain an Oklahoma commit when he goes through the visit process. Ultimately, this decision is expected to come down to Oklahoma vs. Texas even if there is an additional OV or two.

OL Aliou Bah, IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL) (2022):

The massive offensive tackle prospect released his top six schools on Sunday and UT is squarely in the mix. Usually for out-of-state products, making a top schools list doesn't amount to much. But for the 6-foot-6, 325-pounder with 36 offers, the Horns are in good shape.

Texas, Penn State, OU, Florida, Texas A&M, and Florida State made the four-star's final cut.

IT spoke with Bah within the last week, and Bah mentioned that Florida State, Florida and Oklahoma would for sure get OV’s. Bah mentioned Texas likely would receive one. A source in Memphis relayed to IT in early March that Texas was in a solid position if the Longhorns made a strong push.

DE Justice Finkley, Hewitt-Trussville (AL) (2022)

The 6-foot-2, 255-pound four-star scheduled an official visit to Austin on June 25th-27th. The Alabama native holds 30 offers from the best of the best in college football, and has been a stat machine during his team at Hewitt-Trussville.

He's tallied 146 tackles, 26 tackles for loss, and 12 sacks over the last two seasons, not to mention running a 4.61 40 at the Opening Regional two summers ago.

While Michigan, Alabama, and Georgia look good here right now, UT jumping in the mix doesn't surprise us. Finkley has been in constant communication with the Texas staff since the Longhorns offered.

DE Aaron Bryant, Southaven (MS) (2022):

The 6-foot-4, 300-pound three-star is slated to see Austin on June 18th-20th. That'll be after an OV to Georgia on June 4th-6th.

Though he's in prime SEC country, and holds offers from Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, and Ole Miss, UT is in pursuit of the strongside defensive end.

He accounted for 68 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, six sacks, and four forced fumbles in the 2020 season. Texas offered recently and Bryant speaks with Bo Davis weekly.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Roach

Reveal hidden contents

— Duncanville defensive end Omari Abor only has one official visit set at this point and that’s a trip to Ohio State in June. Abor has been talking to Jeff Banks and he said he wants to make an unofficial trip to Austin as soon as possible. As for official visits, Abor said that he’s still deciding but might not take any of his to schools within driving distance. Texas has a lot of work to do in this one, but Abor said that he likes this staff a lot more than the previous one and has a great connection with Banks and Pete Kwiatkowski. Abor grew up an OU fan but he’s approaching this recruitment with a business-like mindset. The Sooners join Ohio State at the top of his list with Alabama and Texas A&M in a sneaky good position. Texas will need to do a lot of work to pass those programs up this summer.

— If there was any doubt about how much Texas was prioritizing Harold Perkins, it can be answered by asking who his primary recruiters at Texas are. Perkins said the two coaches he talks with most often are Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks. Perkins will take his official visit to Texas A&M June 4-6, but he’s undecided on any others at the moment. Perkins wants to mix his official visits between summer and fall and is still in the process of figuring his schedule out with his parents. He mentioned USC, Miami, Florida and Oregon as other schools he wants to see during his visits.

— Perkins’ teammate Owen Pewee is an impressive prospect in his own right. Another linebacker to watch in the 2022 class. Pewee holds offers 14 offers but bigger schools are starting to contact him. Texas is one of those schools as the Longhorns have opened contact with Pewee as well. While he’s not quite as physically developed as Perkins, Pewee has some impressive athleticism and could develop into a high major type of player. Pewee isn’t in any type of hurry and could really see his stock rise during the spring.

— Oklahoma commit Jordan Hudson remains in contact with Texas and is talking to the Longhorns about setting up an official visit. As I’ve been reporting since Hudson committed to Oklahoma, he is still open hearing from other schools and has some voices around him that prefer Texas. If the Longhorns get him on campus and push for him, I believe they could flip him at some point down the line. Hudson says he speaks with Andre Coleman and Steve Sarkisian weekly and he’s still getting the full court press from Maalik Murphy who he previously played 7v7 with. For Texas, it’s about sorting through the current options at wide receiver and filling out the remaining spots with the best talent they can find. Hudson is definitely in the group of top players at the position, but I’d expect the Longhorns will take some time with the process.

— Arlington Bowie offensive lineman Devon Campbell only has one visit scheduled at the moment with a trip to Oklahoma set for late June. He’s still trying to find open dates that works for schools, him and his parents to all be able to attend. Campbell likes Kyle Flood’s experience as a developer at Alabama and in the NFL, and he’s visited Texas more than anywhere else. He is looking forward to getting back and seeing the new facilities. Oklahoma might be the toughest competition as Bill Bedenbaugh is doing a great job recruiting him. For now, Texas and Oklahoma are the only two schools he knows he will visit officially. USC will likely get a trip as well, but several schools will be vying for the final two spots. Texas A&M has been coming on as of late, but Campbell said that a visit to College Station is still up in the air for now.

—Pilot Point athlete Ish Harris recently took trips to College Station and Norman to see the campuses for himself and he’s set to take a trip to Austin this summer. Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Texas, Miami and Utah make up an unofficial Top 5 for him, and he’s noticed the play of DeMarvion Overshown who he feels he could play like. Harris is in contact with Jeff Choate most often and he likes the relationship he’s forging there. Harris will be at Texas June 25 and he wants to take in the facility and the city of Austin. Despite being a small-town kid, Harris said he feels he could thrive in just about any environment. Texas A&M is putting the full court press on him with several coaches including Jimbo Fisher involved in the recruitment. Harris wants to study agricultural engineering so it’s hard not to see the Aggies as the favorite right now.

— Texas recently offered Florida State commit and Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Dillard defensive end Nyjalik Kelly. While he remains a strong commit to the Seminoles, Kelly expressed curiosity and interest in the Longhorns. Kelly said he’s in the process of setting up a visit with Texas and it will likely be an official visit this summer. Kelly is being recruited by Pete Kwiatkowski, but he doesn’t know a ton about the program yet. Miami, Florida, Penn State, West Virginia, Vanderbilt and Ohio State are other schools coming after him and trying to pull him away from his commitment at the time.

— Texas commit Armani Winfield has his visit scheduled for Texas this summer, but he’s also thinking about taking a few other trips. Penn State, USC and Baylor also have his attention and he wants to make sure he takes advantage of the recruiting process since he only gets to experience it once. Winfield said he’s solid in his commitment at the moment and he said the most contact he has is with Jeff Banks and he also talks with Steve Sarkisian and Andre Coleman a few times per week. This will be a recruitment to keep an eye on, but Winfield seems to be just testing the waters and enjoying the spoils of being a recruit.

Damn sooners. We better not lose Campbell to them

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

Roach

Hide contents

Winfield said he’s solid in his commitment at the moment

the kiss of death. But no way PSU or Baylor do shit 

Wells

Spoiler

WR Armani Winfield, Lewisville (2022) (TEXAS):

The first guy to jump on the Sark train, Winfield enjoys being committed to the University of Texas. He openly recruits for the #22EFFECT class and has since become a better player and person. Coaches at Lewisville say they've seen an improvement. Sometimes it's just growing up. Either way, he's endeared himself to the new staff. He was ready to pledge after watching a half of Alabama-Clemson two months ago.

But they aren't the only staffs in touch with the 6-foot-2.5, 185-pound four-star receiver.

"Penn State and Baylor are the two schools that are recruiting me the most," said Winfield. Don't be surprised if he takes trips to Happy Valley and Waco in June.

He's still set to see Austin on June 18th-20th during potentially its biggest recruiting weekend in years.

"We got an official visit planned, all the guys (commits) are going down there for a special weekend," said Winfield. "With coach Sark, it's a new beginning and we're just wanting to be the new wave. Watching (Sark's) offense, it was just something I wanted to be a part of. (Sark) has a reputation of putting guys into the league."

Winfield continues about how much he likes Andre Coleman and the other commits in the class. He stays in touch with targets like Bryce Anderson and Quinn Ewers.

He's committed today but understand, he wants to see other places. Most of these kids just want the real college recruiting experience.

S Jacoby Mathews, Ponchatoula (LA) (2022)

It appears the five-star athlete from Da Boot is ready to drop a message. Mathews, one of UT's top targets, is part of a documentary series for IG TV with Anthony Rhodes called King of the South.

At 6-foot-1, 204 pounds, the nation's 2nd rated safety holds 30 offers, including Alabama, LSU, and Clemson, Mathews is featured in the series about his day to day life and recruitment.

Mathews also excels on the hardwood for the Green Wave, where he averages almost 13 points and six and half rebounds per game his junior year. So you can say he keeps his plate full.

We still like where UT stands with Mathews and he wants to visit Texas, Oregon, USC, UF, and LSU when they become a reality.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JackBurton said:

Nah, according to 24/7 he's got OV's to OK State, Aggie, Oregon, LSU and us. 

Somewhere on the gigem' board Riverrat is posting "Banks's five OV's are to us, Oregon, OK State, LSU, and tu.  Know way we should lose this recruitment to four lesser programs.  We are the superior school/team of that bunch.  SEC!"

35 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Somewhere on the gigem' board Riverrat is posting "Banks's five OV's are to us, Oregon, OK State, LSU, and tu.  Know way we should lose this recruitment to four lesser programs.  We are the superior school/team of that bunch.  SEC!"

Fixed for UT grads

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry for the cross-post, but relevant to this thread:

One of the things the aggies and Fisher’s corrupt-as-fuck ass are doing during the dead period is quietly hosting recruits out at his ranch off campus. Don’t want to do a student visit? No sweat. Fuck the dead period and the rules, come hang out with coach off-site, on the QT and the hush-hush. 

I hope Sarkisian is doing the same somewhere on Lake Travis. 

• Hook 'Em 4

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One of the things the aggies and Fisher’s corrupt-as-fuck ass are doing during the dead period is quietly hosting recruits out at his ranch off campus. Don’t want to do a student visit? No sweat. Fuck the dead period and the rules, come hang out with coach off-site, on the QT and the hush-hush. 

How do we get this cucked bitch busted for cheating. I'd love to see aggy banned from TV again

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
Typo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Viper said:

There's no way there's not some tweet or snapchat from the lake or something

I'm not saying that something stupid can't happen with social media and cheating, but staffs have that shit pretty well covered with recruits and handlers at this point. Specifically, the days of idiotic shit like KD Cannon posting stacks of money or the Laremy Tunsil debacle are cautionary tales that have caused programs and caused recruits to wise up. The trainers aren't stupid. Dads and uncles can be still, I guess. I don't know. Maybe Evan Stewart's dad will live stream his meeting with Kirby Smart in which one of Smart's bagmen visibly just hands over a 6 figure stack. 

27 minutes ago, NoName said:

when i think OpSec Texas A&M, Jimbo Fisher and his staff are not who i would consider "good" at it.

I don't know who is good at it besides Clemson and Bama, or who is really bad at it besides Tennessee, but allegedly ATM knows what they're doing. Fisher learned substantial shit under two of the all-time greats, cheating included. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Gawker, meet Sid Hudgens: media mogul, slimeball, genius | Jim Nelson

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting