Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Acosta is taking over for Burton at Del Valle. Caleb has already said he won’t play for DV this upcoming season.

It’s funny, but Burton should know better than to put his dads backfill on blast on social. “Look at this dude begging me to play”. Come on man.

Dude it’s better than that. He’s essentially telling him he will coach him better than his dad. Regardless if true or not it’s brain dead idiotic to tell that to a kid who’s dad was ran out of town/fired. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Dude it’s better than that. He’s essentially telling him he will coach him better than his dad. Regardless if true or not it’s brain dead idiotic to tell that to a kid who’s dad was ran out of town/fired. 

This is a poor look by both the coach and Burton. Social media fucking sucks.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, JackBurton said:

Yea that was the rumor before.

Also, can anyone throw this up https://insidetexas.com/recruiting-matters-bold-predictions-and-declarations/

Spoiler

By: Eric, Gerry, and Justin

The 2022 cycle has a long way to go but we’re deep enough into it to start getting a feel for how a good number of recruitments are trending. With that in mind, we’re going to get a little knee-jerky and make some bold declarations and predictions.

Before that, we’d like to say Happy Easter. If you’re with family and friends, enjoy them along with some good food. This post will be here later today and tomorrow if you have more important things to do.

QB recruiting in general
It was common to say Maalik Murphy wasn’t a project, he just lacked experience. But he’s a project who also lacks experience. There is zero malice behind that. Every player has different developmental timelines (something I’ve belabored for years). Because of his time horizon, and the depth chart, they need to stay all in on the bottle blonde. Arch Manning is great and perhaps the best prospect in the country regardless of class, but you don’t want to be in a position where you ‘have’ to get him. - EN

RB Jamarion Miller, Tyler Legacy
It’s hard to lose a long-time Longhorn lean but that happened here with Miller. El Paso Burges’ Tavorus Jones is a more than capable replacement for the RB2 slot in the class. If Texas barely nudges Jones, he’s probably in, but we said the same of Miller. - JW

WR Nick Anderson, Katy
They need to offer this guy. He’s bigger and faster than people realize. He’d have much more production if he wasn’t at Katy. Baller. Plus, he probably wouldn’t be very wishy-washy. - EN

Should Texas not go after Nicholas Anderson, it will be looked back upon as a head scratcher when he excels in college, is drafted, and plays 10 years in the NFL. Like Ernest Cooper, Anderson is a can’t miss level prospect in terms off having the physical talent to go with mental makeup. - GH

WR Jordan Hudson, Garland
He prefers OU but he’ll check out UT because his mother likes the school. That shouldn’t matter to Texas; all that matters is you get him through the doors and get a chance to build a proper relationship. Even if you don’t win it outright, maybe you do if you flip Quinn Ewers. At this point I’m predicting he sticks with OU. - EN

He enjoys being a part of OU’s 2022 class and knows they produce receivers at a high level. He’s also watching Texas closely. Until last weekend, he didn’t want his probable Austin OV public. - JW

WR Chris Marshall, Fort Bend Marshall
Texas is slowly backing away from this recruitment, handing one of the nation’s top receiver prospects to Texas A&M or Alabama. - GH

[edit: This was written before Marshall dropped a top-8 on Saturday. That list included Jackson St. but not Texas]

WR Caleb Burton, ?????
Bold prediction: He’ll play his senior year at one of Lake Travis or Westlake, with the edge going to Westlake due to QB play. - EN

WR Matthew Golden, Klein Cain
He’ll sign with TCU and excel which will lead to conversations down the road about why Texas didn’t offer him. - GH

TE recruiting in general
The staff will want to go ‘best player available’ at too many positions to take a tight end in the 2022 class. Besides, Jeff Banks has plenty of recruitments to occupy his time. As the special teams coordinator, he’ll have to be placated by big-game hunting a kicker. - EN

I think Texas likely taking 25 in 2022 means they could slide a tight end into this class closer to December. If Sean Sallis keeps running 21-22’s in the 200 at 6’5, he’s worth the conversation. - JW

OL recruiting in general
Texas will right the wrongs of the disappointing but highly rated 2013 class, with Devon Campbell (Arlington Bowie) mirroring Darius James and Kelvin Banks (Summer Creek) in place of Kent Perkins. ”That’s not bold, you’ve been saying that.” Oh yeah, they’ll get Kam Dewberry (Atascosita) late. - EN

OL Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie
He starts his career at right tackle. He has a guard build but tackle feet and arm length. - EN

OL Cole Hutson, Frisco
This will come down to June but it just feels like Texas will land Connor Robertson and OU will land Hutson. Big fan of Hutson, though, even if he’s guard-specific. - EN

I like Texas to surprise here if Westlake’s Connor Robertson doesn’t beat him to the punch. OU is tough, and Texas A&M is hanging around the rim. - JW

OL Neto Umeozulu, Allen
Chad Morris’ first national recruit at Allen High won’t go to Texas A&M, Oklahoma, or Texas. This is one Nick Saban will have Doug Marrone all over to make a point to the three listed above. Don’t underestimate Marrone’s recruiting ability. He‘s not just a name. - GH

He likes Kyle Flood and how Texas brought in so many Alabama staffers, but not near enough to give UT serious consideration in April. Alabama, if they push. Auburn, if Bama doesn’t. - JW

DL recruiting in general
I don’t fault the staff one bit for the losing instate battles this cycle. It’s just a bad setup, where as 2020 (the Alfred Collins/Vernon Broughton class) was the exact opposite. You’d like to see them win a couple of tough ones, especially Bremond’s Jaray Bledsoe, but my instate expectations are much higher in the loaded 2023 class. - EN

Texas will have to land a high-level 1-tech from out-of-state in this cycle and they’ll find a good one. I was a bit surprised Domonique Orange was offered before some of the others. - EN

DL Ernest Cooper, Arlington Martin
It would be very bold to say he’d end up at Texas. It would also be very dumb to say. The boldest I’m willing to go is UT finishes runner-up despite the best efforts of his teammates and the Texas staff. - EN

Arlington Martin having Morice Blackwell and Trevell Johnson in his ear, plus 2023 cornerback Javien Toviano liking the Longhorns, that’ll be enough to keep Texas close. - JW

DL Jaray Bledsoe, Bremond
This is more winnable than consensus holds. Bo Davis has to keep building his relationship and make it as hard as possible for Bledsoe to pick up the phone to tell him he’s going elsewhere. Doable. - EN

DL Omari Abor, Duncanville
This recruitment is a bigger waste of time than Savion Byrd in the 2021 cycle. - EN

The only reason Abor hasn’t come out and said he’s not going to Texas is because he’s a nice kid. - JW

Front-seven recruiting in general
Texas is recruiting/offering way too many defensive prospects from Alabama and Mississippi. The ‘heading east‘ game in recruiting has been attempted by the last two staffs, and failed. It is a totally different level of recruiting east of Orange, Texas … and Texas doesn’t have recent winning history on the field or in recruiting in the region to beat out Alabama, Auburn, or any SEC program that “truly” wants these prospects. - GH

LB recruiting in general
I foresee a situation where Texas has to expand its scope and offer some more linebackers. - EN

LB Ish Harris, Pilot Point
I’m not feeling Harris ending up at Texas and I’m also not in love with the De’Marvion Overshown fit so I won’t be crushed. He’s an X-backer/OLB. Spinning Overshown down from safety was a much more realistic transition for the position than moving Harris, who currently plays running back at 6-foot-3, to the Mike/space linebacker. - EN

LB Kip Lewis, Carthage
I don’t love his tape but readily concede he has high-level traits and a good frame to work with. Like Harris, I’m confident Lewis won’t end up in the class so the evaluation is mostly moot. - EN

He’s giving respectful attention to Texas, but I don’t get a sense UT will pass OU, LSU, or even Texas A&M for that matter. - JW

LB Niuafe “Junior” Tuihalamaka, Bishop Alemany (Mission Hills, CA)
I’m open to the idea a thicker body type can still play ILB, but those guys are rare. Is Junior more Dele Adeoye, or more Rey Maualuga or Lofa Tatupu? Like the latter two, give him #58 to improve his chances of becoming an NFL linebacker. Junior does have a decent amount of bounce to him — which indicates active feet and lateral agility — but his body type is often stiff in coverage and tends to carry a lot of weight. - EN

LB Harold Perkins, Cy-Park
It’s very hard for me to see Perkins ending up in the Texas class. I will give credit to the staff for getting back into the conversation. - EN

This is the singular recruitment that Jeff Banks would take the most pleasure in winning. It’s not his position, it’s not his happy hunting ground of D/FW, and Perkins is a prospect Texas A&M has believed they will win out for since the mid-way point of the season. - GH

I think Texas has the worst odds among his top 4-5 schools, and feel like he wants to be an SEC guy. But I also think he’ll keep UT close enough to cover throughout his announcement. - JW

DB recruiting in general
Texas will land the best DB haul in the country. Playing time is a big selling point. - EN

Try as I might, I can’t see Denver Harris (North Shore) or Terrance Brooks (John Paul II) ending up elsewhere. I definitely respect Alabama, but Texas has a lot of positives in its favor. - EN

I wouldn’t mind seeing them recruiting one more true corner. I think Brooks sticks at corner, and Bryce Anderson (West Brook) has the speed to play it, but another true corner would make sense given the versatility of some other players who Texas has a good chance for. - EN

CB Denver Harris, North Shore
Texas just feels like the place where Denver Harris will sign. Questions about how long Nick Saban will coach comes up in this recruitment. - GH

CB Terrance Brooks, John Paul II
Texas A&M getting seriously involved with Terrance Brooks is reason for concern, as noted many times. Nick Saban prioritizing Brooks should cause all the competition to keep evaluating the position. - GH

I see the secondary finishing like this:
BJ Allen, Bryce Anderson, Denver Harris, and Jacoby Mathews. They could add a late bloomer at corner, then go full-force on 2023 in-state studs Javien Toviano, Jamel Johnson, and Jayvon Thomas. - JW

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:
  Hide contents

The 2022 cycle has a long way to go but we’re deep enough into it to start getting a feel for how a good number of recruitments are trending. With that in mind, we’re going to get a little knee-jerky and make some bold declarations and predictions.

Before that, we’d like to say Happy Easter. If you’re with family and friends, enjoy them along with some good food. This post will be here later today and tomorrow if you have more important things to do.

QB recruiting in general
It was common to say Maalik Murphy wasn’t a project, he just lacked experience. But he’s a project who also lacks experience. There is zero malice behind that. Every player has different developmental timelines (something I’ve belabored for years). Because of his time horizon, and the depth chart, they need to stay all in on the bottle blonde. Arch Manning is great and perhaps the best prospect in the country regardless of class, but you don’t want to be in a position where you ‘have’ to get him. - EN

It’s hard to lose a long-time Longhorn lean but that happened here with Miller. El Paso Burges’ Tavorus Jones is a more than capable replacement for the RB2 slot in the class. If Texas barely nudges Jones, he’s probably in, but we said the same of Miller. - JW

WR Nick Anderson, Katy
They need to offer this guy. He’s bigger and faster than people realize. He’d have much more production if he wasn’t at Katy. Baller. Plus, he probably wouldn’t be very wishy-washy. - EN

Should Texas not go after Nicholas Anderson, it will be looked back upon as a head scratcher when he excels in college, is drafted, and plays 10 years in the NFL. Like Ernest Cooper, Anderson is a can’t miss level prospect in terms off having the physical talent to go with mental makeup. - GH

He prefers OU but he’ll check out UT because his mother likes the school. That shouldn’t matter to Texas; all that matters is you get him through the doors and get a chance to build a proper relationship. Even if you don’t win it outright, maybe you do if you flip Quinn Ewers. At this point I’m predicting he sticks with OU. - EN

He enjoys being a part of OU’s 2022 class and knows they produce receivers at a high level. He’s also watching Texas closely. Until last weekend, he didn’t want his probable Austin OV public. - JW

Texas is slowly backing away from this recruitment, handing one of the nation’s top receiver prospects to Texas A&M or Alabama. - GH

[edit: This was written before Marshall dropped a top-8 on Saturday. That list included Jackson St. but not Texas]

WR Caleb Burton, ?????
Bold prediction: He’ll play his senior year at one of Lake Travis or Westlake, with the edge going to Westlake due to QB play. - EN

He’ll sign with TCU and excel which will lead to conversations down the road about why Texas didn’t offer him. - GH

TE recruiting in general
The staff will want to go ‘best player available’ at too many positions to take a tight end in the 2022 class. Besides, Jeff Banks has plenty of recruitments to occupy his time. As the special teams coordinator, he’ll have to be placated by big-game hunting a kicker. - EN

I think Texas likely taking 25 in 2022 means they could slide a tight end into this class closer to December. If Sean Sallis keeps running 21-22’s in the 200 at 6’5, he’s worth the conversation. - JW

OL recruiting in general
Texas will right the wrongs of the disappointing but highly rated 2013 class, with Devon Campbell (Arlington Bowie) mirroring Darius James and Kelvin Banks (Summer Creek) in place of Kent Perkins. ”That’s not bold, you’ve been saying that.” Oh yeah, they’ll get Kam Dewberry (Atascosita) late. - EN

He starts his career at right tackle. He has a guard build but tackle feet and arm length. - EN

OL Cole Hutson, Frisco
This will come down to June but it just feels like Texas will land Connor Robertson and OU will land Hutson. Big fan of Hutson, though, even if he’s guard-specific. - EN

I like Texas to surprise here if Westlake’s Connor Robertson doesn’t beat him to the punch. OU is tough, and Texas A&M is hanging around the rim. - JW

OL Neto Umeozulu, Allen
Chad Morris’ first national recruit at Allen High won’t go to Texas A&M, Oklahoma, or Texas. This is one Nick Saban will have Doug Marrone all over to make a point to the three listed above. Don’t underestimate Marrone’s recruiting ability. He‘s not just a name. - GH

He likes Kyle Flood and how Texas brought in so many Alabama staffers, but not near enough to give UT serious consideration in April. Alabama, if they push. Auburn, if Bama doesn’t. - JW

DL recruiting in general
I don’t fault the staff one bit for the losing instate battles this cycle. It’s just a bad setup, where as 2020 (the Alfred Collins/Vernon Broughton class) was the exact opposite. You’d like to see them win a couple of tough ones, especially Bremond’s Jaray Bledsoe, but my instate expectations are much higher in the loaded 2023 class. - EN

Texas will have to land a high-level 1-tech from out-of-state in this cycle and they’ll find a good one. I was a bit surprised Domonique Orange was offered before some of the others. - EN

It would be very bold to say he’d end up at Texas. It would also be very dumb to say. The boldest I’m willing to go is UT finishes runner-up despite the best efforts of his teammates and the Texas staff. - EN

Arlington Martin having Morice Blackwell and Trevell Johnson in his ear, plus 2023 cornerback Javien Toviano liking the Longhorns, that’ll be enough to keep Texas close. - JW

This is more winnable than consensus holds. Bo Davis has to keep building his relationship and make it as hard as possible for Bledsoe to pick up the phone to tell him he’s going elsewhere. Doable. - EN

This recruitment is a bigger waste of time than Savion Byrd in the 2021 cycle. - EN

The only reason Abor hasn’t come out and said he’s not going to Texas is because he’s a nice kid. - JW

Texas is recruiting/offering way too many defensive prospects from Alabama and Mississippi. The ‘heading east‘ game in recruiting has been attempted by the last two staffs, and failed. It is a totally different level of recruiting east of Orange, Texas … and Texas doesn’t have recent winning history on the field or in recruiting in the region to beat out Alabama, Auburn, or any SEC program that “truly” wants these prospects. - GH

LB recruiting in general
I foresee a situation where Texas has to expand its scope and offer some more linebackers. - EN

I’m not feeling Harris ending up at Texas and I’m also not in love with the De’Marvion Overshown fit so I won’t be crushed. He’s an X-backer/OLB. Spinning Overshown down from safety was a much more realistic transition for the position than moving Harris, who currently plays running back at 6-foot-3, to the Mike/space linebacker. - EN

LB Kip Lewis, Carthage
I don’t love his tape but readily concede he has high-level traits and a good frame to work with. Like Harris, I’m confident Lewis won’t end up in the class so the evaluation is mostly moot. - EN

He’s giving respectful attention to Texas, but I don’t get a sense UT will pass OU, LSU, or even Texas A&M for that matter. - JW

I’m open to the idea a thicker body type can still play ILB, but those guys are rare. Is Junior more Dele Adeoye, or more Rey Maualuga or Lofa Tatupu? Like the latter two, give him #58 to improve his chances of becoming an NFL linebacker. Junior does have a decent amount of bounce to him — which indicates active feet and lateral agility — but his body type is often stiff in coverage and tends to carry a lot of weight. - EN

It’s very hard for me to see Perkins ending up in the Texas class. I will give credit to the staff for getting back into the conversation. - EN

This is the singular recruitment that Jeff Banks would take the most pleasure in winning. It’s not his position, it’s not his happy hunting ground of D/FW, and Perkins is a prospect Texas A&M has believed they will win out for since the mid-way point of the season. - GH

I think Texas has the worst odds among his top 4-5 schools, and feel like he wants to be an SEC guy. But I also think he’ll keep UT close enough to cover throughout his announcement. - JW

DB recruiting in general
Texas will land the best DB haul in the country. Playing time is a big selling point. - EN

Try as I might, I can’t see Denver Harris (North Shore) or Terrance Brooks (John Paul II) ending up elsewhere. I definitely respect Alabama, but Texas has a lot of positives in its favor. - EN

I wouldn’t mind seeing them recruiting one more true corner. I think Brooks sticks at corner, and Bryce Anderson (West Brook) has the speed to play it, but another true corner would make sense given the versatility of some other players who Texas has a good chance for. - EN

Texas just feels like the place where Denver Harris will sign. Questions about how long Nick Saban will coach comes up in this recruitment. - GH

Texas A&M getting seriously involved with Terrance Brooks is reason for concern, as noted many times. Nick Saban prioritizing Brooks should cause all the competition to keep evaluating the position. - GH

BJ Allen, Bryce Anderson, Denver Harris, and Jacoby Mathews. They could add a late bloomer at corner, then go full-force on 2023 in-state studs Javien Toviano, Jamel Johnson, and Jayvon Thomas. - JW

Aside from DB and sort of OL they seem very grumpy. Especially at WR.

• Hook 'Em 2

Interesting how many guys have changed to basically "There's no chance" guys. Neto was a "he's early in the process, who knows" for weeks and now is an either Alabama or Auburn. Miller trending away, but they seem to think he's a lost cause already. Perkins, Ish Harris, Kip Lewis all are guys who we were in the mix for (Perkins least of all), but now it seems like Perkins is the best bet out of the three, yet still not going to happen. Not that any of those three surprise me, but I was surprised not to see a mention of a guy like Jeremy Patton.

Gotta wonder who they're referencing when they say that Texas will go out and find a good 1-tech out of state, if they think that isn't Orange. I wonder if thats a read on Anthony Lucas or if they're talking about a kid we haven't offered thats just in the purgatory of Bo Davis's twitter follows. 

40 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:
  Hide contents

QB recruiting in general

WR Nick Anderson, Katy

WR Caleb Burton, ?????

TE recruiting in general

OL recruiting in general

OL Cole Hutson, Frisco

OL Neto Umeozulu, Allen

DL recruiting in general

LB recruiting in general

LB Kip Lewis, Carthage

DB recruiting in general

Did Satya write this garbage?

• Hook 'Em 1

I actually like Orange for a very specific role. He is a tank. He is naturally strong with a good motor and has a huge base. He doesn't have great feet but he is someone who can anchor the middle of the line and no one is going to be able to move him. And if he does get to you, you are going down. He will probably perform poorly in camp settings because he isn't quick and he won't get a lot of sacks in the all star games but he will do well in college.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I actually like Orange for a very specific role. He is a tank. He is naturally strong with a good motor and has a huge base. He doesn't have great feet but he is someone who can anchor the middle of the line and no one is going to be able to move him. And if he does get to you, you are going down. He will probably perform poorly in camp settings because he isn't quick and he won't get a lot of sacks in the all star games but he will do well in college.

Sounds like a good fit for PK's defense. If he can eat blocks, open gaps for the LBs, and actually has a high motor, he'll be of good use. Obviously the preference would be for a guy that can do that and also break through/get to the QB when called upon, but everyone's got a role. 

It’s a bold move for IT to take the position that Texas is entirely fucking up this class, especially in April, but they’re actively in the process of taking a giant hogger dump on everything the staff is doing. It’s been developing since they showed up and immediately took Winfield and it’s been rolling downhill with greater speed after the take of Murphy and punting on Marshall and the WR from Katy. 

It should be a fun match-up to watch. Texas is going to land a top 6-8 class and we’re going to be subtly and repeatedly told it bites the knob. 

• Hook 'Em 5

8 hours ago, JackBurton said:

Gotta wonder who they're referencing when they say that Texas will go out and find a good 1-tech out of state, if they think that isn't Orange. I wonder if thats a read on Anthony Lucas or if they're talking about a kid we haven't offered thats just in the purgatory of Bo Davis's twitter follows. 

The big DT from Mississippi is taking an OV (Bryant) in June.

6 hours ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

Their sources are good. The staff just isn't adhering to their particular vision for the class and is moving a lot of different directions at once, which I guess hurts their feelings since they've established themselves in the industry as accurate, infallible talent evaluators.

Wells in particular gets butthurt when they don’t pursue his man crushes as hard as he likes, especially the ETX ones (Miller, Kip Lewis)

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT mods are being butthurt for sure but I'd be interested in hearing why we're laying off some of these receiver prospects.

One of Sark’s first comments on our roster was that we have too many receivers 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, but we have too many SHITTY receivers. Not a lot of good receivers. 

Taking the gas off several difference makers is an odd choice when we're not a slam dunk for anyone else of their caliber. That being said, I'm not going to lose my shit over Sark's recruiting choices at WR of all places in his first class just because a few 995ers get shrill voiced and histrionic in April. 

Unless there is some behind the scenes stuff the 995ers are not privy to and some shit is already set for the most part. It will be interesting leading up to December. Can’t wait to see how this class comes together. 

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Unless there is some behind the scenes stuff the 995ers are not privy to and some shit is already set for the most part. It will be interesting leading up to December. Can’t wait to see how this class comes together. 

Im sure there's plenty of behind the scenes shit they know that doesn't all trickle down to us from various sources. But we also know the 995 players pretty well at this point. And a few of them absolutely have track records of getting vaginal when the staff doesn't recruit certain players or positions the way THEY'd do it. Tale as old as time. 

1 minute ago, JackBurton said:

OLB, listed as an athlete. Kid was expected to play baseball in College, I think he was committed to Stanford for baseball up until his junior year. Projected to be a top 100-MLB draft pick at some point so I don't know how real his interest in football is. Regardless, check out this dude's film if you want some violence today.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, JackBurton said:

OLB, listed as an athlete. Kid was expected to play baseball in College, I think he was committed to Stanford for baseball up until his junior year. Projected to be a top 100-MLB draft pick at some point so I don't know how real his interest in football is. Regardless, check out this dude's film if you want some violence today.

Waterboy Slam GIF | Gfycat

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:
  Reveal hidden contents

QB recruiting in general

WR Nick Anderson, Katy

WR Caleb Burton, ?????

TE recruiting in general

OL recruiting in general

OL Cole Hutson, Frisco

OL Neto Umeozulu, Allen

DL recruiting in general

LB recruiting in general

LB Kip Lewis, Carthage

DB recruiting in general

Damn what an embarrassing write up by IT, no one wants to read these dorks whine about their favorite targets not being prioritized. "OMG what is Texas doing not offering this obvious sure thing future 10 year NFL all pro?!?!" get a fucking grip.

• Hook 'Em 5

He looks pretty interested in football in his film.

• Hook 'Em 2

I hear we also have a baseball team

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Acosta is taking over for Burton at Del Valle. Caleb has already said he won’t play for DV this upcoming season.

It’s funny, but Burton should know better than to put his dads backfill on blast on social. “Look at this dude begging me to play”. Come on man.

Kid seems like sort of a dick even before this. 

• Hook 'Em 3

IT

Spoiler

RECRUITING MATTERS

Texas currently sits inside the top 10 of the 2022 class rankings with seven commitments who average a stellar .9408 composite. It’s going to be a full class, so the cycle has a long way to go and comes with some uncertainty. However, there are a number of high level prospects that continue to trend towards Steve Sarkisian and staff.

Here’s the latest on a handful of 2022 recruits including some leans to varying degrees.

If you want to feel good about recruiting, read posts, not comments.

DL Jadon Scarlett, Coram Deo Academy (Lewisville, TX)

Texas continues to build a relationship with the future 3-tech. At almost 6-foot-3, 265 pounds, the metroplex three-star holds 23 offers including OU, Arizona State, Baylor, Colorado, and Georgia Tech.

After a scorching junior season where he tallied 105 tackles, 25 tackles for loss, 15 sacks, two forced fumbles, and two safeties, UT offered last month and has kept close tabs on the budding lineman.

He wants to see Texas this summer, hopefully in June if possible, and continues to speak with UT staffers about a trip.

What will be interesting to watch is, how does UT go about the position with Kris Ross committed, and the staff still pursuing Zac Swanson?

Like with Cole Hutson and Connor Robertson on the offensive line, we believe the staff would have room for one of, but not both, Scarlett and Swanson.

DL Zac Swanson, Brophy Prep (Arizona) (2022)

The composite four-star from Pheonix could be in Austin soon for a self-guided student trip. At 6-foot-4, 255 pounds, Swanson has kept good tabs on Texas since his offer a couple months ago.

UT, Oregon, USC, and Kentucky are his current top schools, and he could be looking at a pre-summer announcement. Oregon and USC were the early leaders, but Swanson seems focused on getting to UT by May. He's also looking at an OV to Texas on June 11th-13th.

This is one IT believes Bo Davis can win. Swanson has been high on UT since Sarkisian was hired in January.

WR Shazz Preston, Saint James (Louisiana) (2022)

One of the nation's top receivers included Texas in his Top 7 over the weekend along with LSU, Alabama, Georgia, USC, Miami, and Mississippi State.

At 6-foot-0, 190 pounds, the four-star .97 composite holds 20 offers from the likes of Alabama, LSU, and Georgia. The Bayou Bengals are the leader but he has family at Mississippi State (safety Shawn Preston) and wants to visit Austin in June.

He has stellar verified testing as a freshman (4.61 40), and also competes in track and field (200 meters, long jump). In 2019, he helped St. James to a 15-0 record and the Louisiana 3A state championship as a sophomore.

Preston likes the news staff at Texas and is willing to give the Horns an honest look. It's still difficult seeing him anywhere but Louisiana State, but he's an elite athlete that if you get on campus, you take your best shot.

***Here are six prospects IT lists as trending to Texas, or over a 50% chance to end up Longhorns***

Bryce Anderson, DB, Beaumont West Brook (.9751 composite)
While he’ll take official visits to Texas A&M and USC, Texas has been the team to beat and remains the team to beat.

Kelvin Banks, OT, Summer Creek (.9844)
Texas has been trending for Banks since the new staff showed up in Austin. Texas A&M and LSU won’t go down without a fight and will receive official visits.

Devon Campbell, OG, Arlington Bowie (.9937)
Texas has been the favorite since Campbell’s recruitment began, and IT believes the Longhorns are still the odds-on favorite due to Kyle Flood and Jeff Banks.

Jacoby Mathews, S, Ponchatoula (LA) (.9840)
While Florida was the favorite two months ago, the Longhorns have ascended to the top spot due to Mathews’ relationship and connection to Terry Joseph, as well as a close relationship with other Texas DB targets.

Tavorus Jones, RB, El Paso Burges (.9390)
Jones was contemplating committing to Texas prior to the 2020 football season. With Jones making an OV to Texas June 18-20, he moves into the over 50% category.

Denver Harris, CB, North Shore (.9940)
Harris will be a battle, period. Texas has always been the constant, but Alabama is certainly a threat. Texas A&M will attempt to muddy the waters for the Longhorns.

Look at this in relation to the current stellar composite referenced above. Only one of these players is rated below it, just barely, while the others are significantly above it.

This is going to be an excellent class, which should be a ‘no duh’ comment.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

(CJ Vogel) Prospect Takeaways | DFW King of the Trenches Camp

Spoiler

I was able to swing by Carrollton this weekend to catch some big bodies in the trenches with the inaugural DFW King of the Trenches camp hosted by Donald Hawkins and Eric Potis.

The camp featured a number of the most talented offensive and defensive linemen in the DFW area. Below, I’ll toss together some notes of some of my biggest takeaways from the camp and how each prospect performed.

*** By far the most impressive offensive lineman was Duncanville’s Cam Williams. The most impressive part of Williams’ game is his patience. It’s easy for a 6’7″, 340 pound guy to want to be the aggressor but Williams has such a good feel for the position. Once he gets his hands on you, it’s over. Williams was dominant in every sense of the word.

*** Flower Mound Coram Deo Acadamy 2022 defensive lineman Jadon Scarlett was very, very impressive. It was my first time seieng him in person and he did not disappoint at all. Scarlett probably had the highest win rate on the defensive side of the ball and was named the camp’s DL MVP.

*** Jaylen Early was impressive once again. Early’s one of my favorite OL in the state this cycle and was on the winning side of a good majority of his reps this weekend.

*** Texas A&M commit Hunter Erb is someone I was very excited to see again after watching him dominate at the Under Armour camp. Erb had an up and down day, though was often paired against Jadon Scarlett. Erb also moved inside for a number of reps and in the end I bet that’s where he ends up.

*** Perhaps no one at the camp improved their stock more than 2023 Euless Trinity OL Misiolo Maluia. Though he is undersized, he’s only around 6’1″, he was phenomenal in his one on one reps. He was one of, if not the only, offensive lineman to stop Scarlett all day.

*** I had heard a lot of good things about 2022 Highland Park DL Jack Curtis coming into the afternoon and he showed up. He has great bend and can really get off the ball well. I expect his recruitment to see a lot more interest in the near future.

*** Along with Curtis, another big winner of the afternoon was Prosper’s Aeden Combest. I had not heard of Combest prior to the event but he quickly made me remember his name with his performance on Saturday. He’ll be a guy to follow moving forward.

*** 2022 Denison OL Dameon Smallwood is going to have a very fun spring and summer. He currently holds offers from just New Mexico and North Texas and after a brief stint of being committed to UNT, he opened things back up. Smallwood has a violent punch. Once his feet catch up with him, then he’s going to be a problem.

*** Speaking of UNT commits, Denton Guyer LB Vincent Paige is going to be a star in Denton. UNT is getting a steal with him. Paige can move like a wide receiver and is very intriguing prospect. I do think, however, that Paige will be moved to outside backer, he’s simply not big enough to rush the passer every snap, but man he’s a good athlete.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, JackBurton said:

From someone who follows the baseball recruiting side:

Spoiler

There is a lot to like here on the diamond side of things.

FB, 87-93, SL 79, CB 75.

He is also ranked #24th in the class of 2022.

Snelling also plays on the same summer team as Henry Bolte(committed to Texas back in January) and George Zaharias(Committed last week), the NorCal Baseball Blue.

• Hook 'Em 2

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Position-by-position look at the 2022 class

Spoiler

QUARTERBACK

Texas has its quarterback in Maalik Murphy. Not only is he thought of as a strong prospect, but he’s also one of the cornerstones of the class. Murphy struggled a bit to begin the season as a first-year starter at Serra but had a strong performance last week. Big on tools and low on experience, Texas is confident that Murphy has the skillset and ability to be developed into a starter long term.

Texas has the luxury of quarterbacks with multiple years left battling for the job on campus so there’s no need to rush Murphy’s development. Even after Murphy committed, it seemed that Texas was still evaluating a few other options to add to the class. As of late, it sounds like Texas is focused on only Murphy. That could change if there is any attrition at the quarterback spot on campus, but it seems that Steve Sarkisian and AJ Milwee are all in on the development of Maalik Murphy.

RUNNING BACK

Running back is probably the position I have the least worries about in this class. The Longhorns have a commitment from the top back in the class in Jaydon Blue, and he’s also one of the strongest commits out of the entire group. Outside of Blue, Texas is looking for a strong compliment to him and is taking their time with finding a second. The in-state options are really only Jamarion Miller and Tavorus Jones. Texas seems to be closer on Jones at the moment, but the staff is also looking at several out of state options including TreVonte’ Citizen, Jovantae Barnes and Jaylen Thompson. Bottom line, Texas should be able to come out looking pretty good at this position.

WIDE RECEIVER
This is a position that could be boom or bust, but there is still a lot of confidence that things will pan out in a positive way. Armani Winfield is committed in the current class, and Texas is looking to take 2-3 more players. Evan Stewart and Kevin Coleman are priorities for their speed and playmaking ability. Louisiana’s Shazz Preston, California’s CJ Williams and Oklahoma commit Jordan Hudson are others in the running for this group. Spearman’s Brenen Thompson is a wildcard who could fill a speed role for Texas, but the Longhorns are going to have to separate from the other schools in that recruitment. Texas is evaluating a few in-state options like Klein Cain’s Matthew Golden and Rockwall-Heath’s Jay Fair. If Sarkisian’s offense produces the fireworks those in Austin think it’s capable of, there would be a considerable amount of excitement at the position.

TIGHT END

This is the position with the least amount of clarity right now. Texas is chasing some blue-chip out-of-state prospects like Oscar Delp, Holden Staes and Jaleel Skinner. While the Longhorns will have to do a lot of work to win one of those targets, and there’s still a lot of evaluation of in-state targets. The spring could show new offers as Texas high school prospects Sean Sallis, Jerrale Powers and Miller McCrumby are all prospects who could emerge as options for Texas down the line. This one will likely take some time for things to shake out and who knows what the board will look like by the end of the year.

OFFENSIVE LINE
There has yet to be a commitment on the offensive line, but Texas seems to be in a strong position with a few priority targets. Kelvin Banks, Kam Dewberry, Devon Campbell, Neto Umeozulu, Cole Hutson and Conner Robertson are all in-state prospects that hold the Longhorns in high regard. Kyle Flood will also attract some outside visitors to campus this year as Malik Agbo, Earnest Green, Aliou Bah and Josh Conerly have all talked about seeing Austin. Texas has to cash in at this position in 2022 after failing to do so in the 2021 class. If the Longhorns can get things rolling up front, they should be able to walk away with a strong haul.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Kristopher Ross is already part of this class and represents a big win in the middle of the defense. Players like Jaray Bledsoe, Domonique Orange, Jadon Scarlett and Aaron Bryant will all factor in at the defensive tackle position. On the outside, Texas seems to be in a good position with Ernest Cooper and Zac Swanson while also chasing longer shots in Omari Abor and Justice Finkley. Derrick Brown is another major prospect the Longhorns are hoping to court to rush the passer in Austin. DJ Wesolak and Rashad McKenzie are two other out-of-state options that could end up playing a factor for Texas. Bo Davis has a ton of options at the position and should be able to piece together a strong group.

LINEBACKER
Trevell Johnson started the class off at this position, but Jeff Choate and Pete Kwiatkowski would like to continue adding talent to this position of need. Five-star Cy-Park linebacker Harold Perkins is the priority and one of the top ranked prospects on the overall board. Other Texas linebackers like Kip Lewis, Ish Harris and Jeremy Patton will be fun races to watch down the stretch as well. Outside of the Texas prospects, answers may have to come from outside of the state borders. California linebacker Niuafe Tuihalamaka might be the best option there while a player like Sebastian Cheeks could also be won over in the right situation.

CORNERBACK

With Jaylon Guilbeau already on board, the focus in state is on elite cornerback Denver Harris, Denton Ryan’s Austin Jordan and Plano John Paul II’s Terrance Brooks. As Jordan seems to be leaning toward Oklahoma and Brooks pretty open at the moment, I’d expect to see a few more evaluations and offers at the cornerback position. LSU commit Marcus Scott and Clear Lake cornerback Julian Humphrey could figure into the conversation of in state prospects that could land offers this spring if the Longhorns decide to go in a different direction.

SAFETY

The plan at safety seems pretty clear right now. Texas holds a commitment from Bryan Allen Jr. and they have confidence that they can pick up elite prospects Bryce Anderson and Jacoby Mathews. If Blake Gideon pulls off that sweep, Texas will walk away with the best safety class in the country mirroring Tom Herman’s first full cycle in 2018 where Texas landed the top defensive back class in the country. Right now, the Longhorns don’t seem to have any secondary plans at the position as all eyes are on Anderson and Mathews to add some real bang to this group.

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, Machinator said:

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Position-by-position look at the 2022 class

Hide contents

QUARTERBACK

Texas has its quarterback in Maalik Murphy. Not only is he thought of as a strong prospect, but he’s also one of the cornerstones of the class. Murphy struggled a bit to begin the season as a first-year starter at Serra but had a strong performance last week. Big on tools and low on experience, Texas is confident that Murphy has the skillset and ability to be developed into a starter long term.

Texas has the luxury of quarterbacks with multiple years left battling for the job on campus so there’s no need to rush Murphy’s development. Even after Murphy committed, it seemed that Texas was still evaluating a few other options to add to the class. As of late, it sounds like Texas is focused on only Murphy. That could change if there is any attrition at the quarterback spot on campus, but it seems that Steve Sarkisian and AJ Milwee are all in on the development of Maalik Murphy.

RUNNING BACK

Running back is probably the position I have the least worries about in this class. The Longhorns have a commitment from the top back in the class in Jaydon Blue, and he’s also one of the strongest commits out of the entire group. Outside of Blue, Texas is looking for a strong compliment to him and is taking their time with finding a second. The in-state options are really only Jamarion Miller and Tavorus Jones. Texas seems to be closer on Jones at the moment, but the staff is also looking at several out of state options including TreVonte’ Citizen, Jovantae Barnes and Jaylen Thompson. Bottom line, Texas should be able to come out looking pretty good at this position.

WIDE RECEIVER
This is a position that could be boom or bust, but there is still a lot of confidence that things will pan out in a positive way. Armani Winfield is committed in the current class, and Texas is looking to take 2-3 more players. Evan Stewart and Kevin Coleman are priorities for their speed and playmaking ability. Louisiana’s Shazz Preston, California’s CJ Williams and Oklahoma commit Jordan Hudson are others in the running for this group. Spearman’s Brenen Thompson is a wildcard who could fill a speed role for Texas, but the Longhorns are going to have to separate from the other schools in that recruitment. Texas is evaluating a few in-state options like Klein Cain’s Matthew Golden and Rockwall-Heath’s Jay Fair. If Sarkisian’s offense produces the fireworks those in Austin think it’s capable of, there would be a considerable amount of excitement at the position.

TIGHT END

This is the position with the least amount of clarity right now. Texas is chasing some blue-chip out-of-state prospects like Oscar Delp, Holden Staes and Jaleel Skinner. While the Longhorns will have to do a lot of work to win one of those targets, and there’s still a lot of evaluation of in-state targets. The spring could show new offers as Texas high school prospects Sean Sallis, Jerrale Powers and Miller McCrumby are all prospects who could emerge as options for Texas down the line. This one will likely take some time for things to shake out and who knows what the board will look like by the end of the year.

OFFENSIVE LINE
There has yet to be a commitment on the offensive line, but Texas seems to be in a strong position with a few priority targets. Kelvin Banks, Kam Dewberry, Devon Campbell, Neto Umeozulu, Cole Hutson and Conner Robertson are all in-state prospects that hold the Longhorns in high regard. Kyle Flood will also attract some outside visitors to campus this year as Malik Agbo, Earnest Green, Aliou Bah and Josh Conerly have all talked about seeing Austin. Texas has to cash in at this position in 2022 after failing to do so in the 2021 class. If the Longhorns can get things rolling up front, they should be able to walk away with a strong haul.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Kristopher Ross is already part of this class and represents a big win in the middle of the defense. Players like Jaray Bledsoe, Domonique Orange, Jadon Scarlett and Aaron Bryant will all factor in at the defensive tackle position. On the outside, Texas seems to be in a good position with Ernest Cooper and Zac Swanson while also chasing longer shots in Omari Abor and Justice Finkley. Derrick Brown is another major prospect the Longhorns are hoping to court to rush the passer in Austin. DJ Wesolak and Rashad McKenzie are two other out-of-state options that could end up playing a factor for Texas. Bo Davis has a ton of options at the position and should be able to piece together a strong group.

LINEBACKER
Trevell Johnson started the class off at this position, but Jeff Choate and Pete Kwiatkowski would like to continue adding talent to this position of need. Five-star Cy-Park linebacker Harold Perkins is the priority and one of the top ranked prospects on the overall board. Other Texas linebackers like Kip Lewis, Ish Harris and Jeremy Patton will be fun races to watch down the stretch as well. Outside of the Texas prospects, answers may have to come from outside of the state borders. California linebacker Niuafe Tuihalamaka might be the best option there while a player like Sebastian Cheeks could also be won over in the right situation.

CORNERBACK

With Jaylon Guilbeau already on board, the focus in state is on elite cornerback Denver Harris, Denton Ryan’s Austin Jordan and Plano John Paul II’s Terrance Brooks. As Jordan seems to be leaning toward Oklahoma and Brooks pretty open at the moment, I’d expect to see a few more evaluations and offers at the cornerback position. LSU commit Marcus Scott and Clear Lake cornerback Julian Humphrey could figure into the conversation of in state prospects that could land offers this spring if the Longhorns decide to go in a different direction.

SAFETY

The plan at safety seems pretty clear right now. Texas holds a commitment from Bryan Allen Jr. and they have confidence that they can pick up elite prospects Bryce Anderson and Jacoby Mathews. If Blake Gideon pulls off that sweep, Texas will walk away with the best safety class in the country mirroring Tom Herman’s first full cycle in 2018 where Texas landed the top defensive back class in the country. Right now, the Longhorns don’t seem to have any secondary plans at the position as all eyes are on Anderson and Mathews to add some real bang to this group.

Oh, Mike Roach is going to evaluate our class and needs now? Thanks for the heads up, I'll go ahead and pass. Unless he's talking about horrific food, or being petty about his photograph credits, I'm not interested. 

Wait a second I'm not interested in those things either. 

• Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting