Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Regarding Browning and others

His comments primarily apply to the 40 yard dash, Browning’s best times were vert and broad, which are measured the exact same. I’m not sure, but I think the Combine hand times the 3 cone as well. Not sure on shuttle. It’s mainly the 40 time that needs to be adjusted, and there are studies and plenty of past data to use to adjust. I’d like to see someone aggregate data for previous years with all testing results from  players who tested at the combine and pro day to determine the correct adjustment. 

I’ve heard some former players and scouts also say that they don’t let you get a ton of sleep at the combine and it’s obviously a less comfortable environment so there could be other factors besides just hand vs. electronic that would affect the times. 

5 minutes ago, maninblack said:

My confidence in the quality of our coaching is at an all time high. Get a kid like Browning or get a someone less athletic and I'm more confident then ever that they'll be productive and coached well.

Agreed. I would kill to see Choate and PK get 4 years to coach up a guy like Browning.
I’m looking forward to see what they can do with a guy like Dorbah the next two years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

His comments primarily apply to the 40 yard dash, Browning’s best times were vert and broad, which are measured the exact same. I’m not sure, but I think the Combine hand times the 3 cone as well. Not sure on shuttle. It’s mainly the 40 time that needs to be adjusted, and there are studies and plenty of past data to use to adjust. I’d like to see someone aggregate data for previous years with all testing results from  players who tested at the combine and pro day to determine the correct adjustment. 

I’ve heard some former players and scouts also say that they don’t let you get a ton of sleep at the combine and it’s obviously a less comfortable environment so there could be other factors besides just hand vs. electronic that would affect the times. 

The shooting gallery of interviews is pretty grueling on the guys, I think this year's format is actually better from that perspective. It is an emotional beatdown to go through that many job interviews in a row and really impossible to fully prepare for each. 

50 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The shooting gallery of interviews is pretty grueling on the guys, I think this year's format is actually better from that perspective. It is an emotional beatdown to go through that many job interviews in a row and really impossible to fully prepare for each. 

Yeah, that’s why I think it would be really interesting to see if there’s variance in vert/broad numbers, which would indicate the role of the combine schedule and environment versus different timing methods. 

TFB thinks differently on Mathews.

Spoiler

Earlier today, Jacoby Mathews posted this on Twitter…

While we are aware of the potential of an April Fools prank, Super K asked him directly if that was the case and he said it was not.

Obviously, there is no way we can be certain, but if he is being forthright and it is indeed not an April Fools joke, K believes this one will go in favor of the Burnt Orange.

• Hook 'Em 4

35 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

While we are aware of the potential of an April Fools prank, Super K asked him directly if that was the case and he said it was not.

Obviously, there is no way we can be certain, but if he is being forthright and it is indeed not an April Fools joke, K believes this one will go in favor of the Burnt Orange.

The joke is that it's not a joke commitment.

37 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

God give me the strength to not get excited over a 5* committing on April Fools Day

• Haha 4

(Gerry Hamilton) IT Recruiting Matters: Texas targets and OV schedules

Spoiler

Recruiting is moving fast and furious with college staffs fighting to line up official visits in June with the likelihood of the dead period being lifted at the end of May.

Today, IT takes a look at where many of Texas targets have official visits schedule.

Quarterback:
Quinn Ewers, Southlake Carroll
Committed to: Ohio State
Official visit schedule: Ohio State June 4-6

Maalik Murphy, Jupiero Serra (CA)
Committed to: #AllGasNoBrakes
Official visit schedule: Texas June 18-20

Running back:
Jaydon Blue, Klein Cain

Tavorus Jones, El Paso Burges

TreVonte Citizen, Lake Charles Prep
Official visit schedule: TBD

Jamarion Miller, Tyler Legacy

Wide receiver:
Evan Stewart, Frisco Liberty
Official visit schedule: Florida June 4-6, Texas June 11-13, Texas A&M June 24-26

Kevin Coleman, St. Mary’s (MO)
Official visit schedule: TBD. Alabama, Texas and Arizona State will get OV’s per source Tuesday.

Shazz Preston, St. James (LA)
Official visit schedule: Texas June 4-6

Jordan Hudson, Garland High
Committed to: Oklahoma
Official visit schedule: TBD. Likely Texas in June

Armani Winfield, Lewisville High
Official visit scheduled: Texas June 18-20

C.J. Williams, Mater Dei (CA)
Official visit schedule: Notre Dame June 4-6, Ohio State June 11-13, Texas June 18-20

Brenen Thompson, Spearman
Official visit schedule: Oklahoma State June 9-10

Tight end:
Holden Staes, Westminster School (GA)

Oscar Delp, West Forsyth (GA)
Official visit schedule: Georgia June 4-6, Florida June 11-13, South Carolina June 25-27

Arlis Boardingham, Birmingham (CA)

Offensive tackles:
Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek
Official visit schedule: LSU June 4-6, Oregon June 8-10, Oklahoma State June 16-17, Texas June 18-20, Texas A&M June 24-26

Neto Umeozulu, Allen High

Kam Dewberry, Atascocita

Malik Agbo, Todd Beamer (WA)

Josh Conerly Jr., Rainer Beach (WA)

Jacob Sexton, Deer Creek (OK)

Aliou Bah, IMG Academy (FL/TN)

Tyler Booker, IMG Academy
Official visit schedule: Florida June 4-6, Georgia June 18-20, Alabama June 25-26

Offensive guard:
Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie
Official visit schedule: USC June 4-6, Oklahoma June 25-27

Cole Hutson, Frisco High
Official visit schedule: Texas June 11-13, Oklahoma June 18-20, Texas A&M June 24-26

Connor Robertson, Austin Westlake
Official visit schedule: TBD. May commit prior to dead period being lifted.

Earnest Greene, St. John Bosco (CA)

Defensive end:
D.J. Wesolak, Booneville (MO)

Ernest Cooper IV, Arlington Martin

Derrick Brown, Texas High
Official visit schedule: Texas June 4-6, Baylor June 25-27

Omari Abor, Duncanville High

Justice Finkley, Hewitt-Trussville (AL)
Official visit schedule: Michigan June 18-20, Texas June 25-27

Defensive tackle:
Kristopher Ross, North Shore

Jaray Bledsoe, Bremond
Official visit schedule: Texas A&M June 4-6, Alabama June 18-20, Texas June 25-27

Aaron Bryant, Southaven (MS)
Official visit schedule: Texas June 25-27

Khurtiss Perry, Park Crossing (AL)

Bear Alexander, Denton Ryan
Committed to: Georgia

Domonique Orange, North Kansas City (MO)

Jadon Scarlett, Coram Deo Academy
Official visit schedule: Texas A&M and Missouri TBD

Zac Swanson, Brophy College Prep (AZ)

Linebackers:
Trevell Johnson, Arlington Martin
Official visit schedule: Texas June 18-20 Oklahoma State UOV June 1st

Niuafe Tuihalamaka, Bishop Alemany
Official visit schedule: Notre Dame June 11-13, Texas June 18-20

Harold Perkins, Cy Park
Official visit schedule: Texas A&M June 4-6

Ish Harris, Pilot Point
Official visit schedule: Texas A&M June 11-13, Texas June 25-27

T.J. Dudley, Montgomery Catholic (AL)
Official visit schedule: Oregon June 4-6, UCF June 11-13

Jeremy Patton, Tenaha
Official visit schedule: Oklahoma State June 9-11

Kip Lewis, Carthage

Martrell Harris, The Woodlands
Official visit schedule: TBD to Texas A&M and Ole Miss

Defensive back:
Bryan Allen Jr., Aledo

Denver Harris, North Shore

Bryce Anderson, Beaumont West Brook
Official visit schedule: Texas A&M, June 4-6, USC June 11-13, Texas June 18-20

Jacoby Mathews, Ponchatoula (LA)
Official visit schedule: Florida June 4-6, Texas June 18-20

Terrance Brooks, John Paul II
Official visit schedule: Texas June 18-20, also Notre Dame, Texas A&M and Alabama

Jaylon Guilbeau, Port Arthur Memorial

He added later on about Stewart:

Spoiler

Stewart will likely move to June 18-20 due to the Under Armour Future50 event June 11-13.

• Hook 'Em 2

Wells

Spoiler

RB Tavorus Jones, El Paso (2022):

After Texas took Jaydon Blue's pledge, it was pretty clear they'd look for a backfield partner. Enter Mr. Jones.

The 5-foot-10, 190-pound four-star from west Texas has stayed close to the new staff since his re-offer a few months back.

“I’m liking the new staff that Texas has," said Jones. "I still think the relationship that I have with them is strong. (The process) has been pretty slow right now. It's still as fun as the beginning, but now just getting closer to the coaches that are recruiting me.”

Those schools include Alabama, Arizona State, Syracuse, and Oklahoma State among his 25 offers. Still, he's only scheduled one visit so far.

“Right now, I haven’t decided on the other schools I want to visit," Jones said. "But I'm very grateful to have Texas be my first.”

Jones has been steady for Burges over the last three seasons. He's accounted for 1,824 yards rushing with 25 touchdowns, and snatched 42 catches for 701 yards and eight scores receiving. That includes a COVID-shortened 2020 season. He's pretty solid on what he needs at the next level.

“The main thing that I look for in a program would be just the type of bond I get with the coaches and how they would fit me into there system," said Jones.

As you know, Tyler Legacy's Jamarion Miller is not looking good for the Texas staff, so shifting efforts to Jones seems prudent.

LB TJ Dudley, Montgomery Catholic Preparatory (Montgomery, AL) (2022):

Nicknamed "Bull", but no relation to the bailiff from Night Court, the 6-foot-2, 210-pound outside linebacker certainly looks like one on film.

It's easy to see why the four-star from Montgomery holds 27 offers including Clemson, Auburn, Florida State, Penn State, and Alabama.

Texas recently offered Dudley, who is fond of a few of the new coaches on the UT staff. He's yet to set up a visit, but that doesn't mean Jeff Choate is letting up.

Sources say Alabama is the clear leader here, and if he does visit Austin, that'll be the next time to pay attention this prospect.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He's also got an OV to Colorado June 11-13.

Interested to see how his OV schedule shakes out, you have to think that given his offer sheet and Top 12 it'll be two of Alabama/LSU/Florida/Oregon/USC. 

Mike at Night: More potential visitors for the summer

Spoiler

— Arlington Bowie offensive lineman Devon Campbell set up his second visit of the year this week to USC. He previously had a trip set up to Oklahoma and is working on others. This falls in line with what I reported earlier in the week in The Stampede when I mentioned Oklahoma and USC as certainties to get visits along with Texas. USC is a popular destination because kids want to take a trip to fun locations. The Trojans have also made it a point to recruit Texas hard. Campbell's uncle, who serves as a coach at Bowie, is handling the heavy lifting in the recruiting right now. He's the main point of contact talking with coaches and scheduling trips. His uncle speaks with Texas often as Director of High School Relations Chris Gilbert is working hard on the relationship with his uncle. It would be a major surprise if Campbell chose not to visit Texas, and I'd preach patience in this one. I still think Texas is at the top of the list and I think Oklahoma is the biggest competition to worry about right now.

— Another player who could be close to scheduling a visit is Evanston (IL.) Township linebacker Sebastian Cheeks. The four-star linebacker has always liked Texas and was excited to be re-offered by the Longhorns. Notre Dame and Michigan are probably the front runners right now, but Texas was the first school Cheeks mentioned outside of those two. He said that Austin is definitely on the schedule for a visit. Aside from those three, North Carolina and Oregon could also be on the docket. Cheeks is growing in his relationship with Jeff Choate and he likes the physical defense they want to play at Texas. The Longhorns will have to overcome the two midwest powers, but I feel they are a darkhorse in the race and could make a move with a visit.

— Five-star safety Jacoby Mathews tweeted his commitment would come tomorrow. We've done some digging and I don't think there's anything to see here. Remember that tomorrow is April Fool's Day which is always good for a few fake teases from recruits. It is pretty much the worst day of the year for a reporter in this field.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Mike at Night: More potential visitors for the summer

Hide contents

— Arlington Bowie offensive lineman Devon Campbell set up his second visit of the year this week to USC. He previously had a trip set up to Oklahoma and is working on others. This falls in line with what I reported earlier in the week in The Stampede when I mentioned Oklahoma and USC as certainties to get visits along with Texas. USC is a popular destination because kids want to take a trip to fun locations. The Trojans have also made it a point to recruit Texas hard. Campbell's uncle, who serves as a coach at Bowie, is handling the heavy lifting in the recruiting right now. He's the main point of contact talking with coaches and scheduling trips. His uncle speaks with Texas often as Director of High School Relations Chris Gilbert is working hard on the relationship with his uncle. It would be a major surprise if Campbell chose not to visit Texas, and I'd preach patience in this one. I still think Texas is at the top of the list and I think Oklahoma is the biggest competition to worry about right now.

— Another player who could be close to scheduling a visit is Evanston (IL.) Township linebacker Sebastian Cheeks. The four-star linebacker has always liked Texas and was excited to be re-offered by the Longhorns. Notre Dame and Michigan are probably the front runners right now, but Texas was the first school Cheeks mentioned outside of those two. He said that Austin is definitely on the schedule for a visit. Aside from those three, North Carolina and Oregon could also be on the docket. Cheeks is growing in his relationship with Jeff Choate and he likes the physical defense they want to play at Texas. The Longhorns will have to overcome the two midwest powers, but I feel they are a darkhorse in the race and could make a move with a visit.

— Five-star safety Jacoby Mathews tweeted his commitment would come tomorrow. We've done some digging and I don't think there's anything to see here. Remember that tomorrow is April Fool's Day which is always good for a few fake teases from recruits. It is pretty much the worst day of the year for a reporter in this field.

Poor Roach. April Fools is the worst day for a "reporter" in his chosen field. Boo fucking Hoo. I'm sure he'll console himself with several boxes of White Castle frozen hamburgers that he dips right into his economy sized jug of mayonnaise. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm sure he'll console himself with several boxes of White Castle frozen hamburgers that he dips right into his economy sized jug of mayonnaise. 

I'm thinking he has a mayo belt at home that he bought from a Krispy Kreme that was closed for remodeling. So now he's got a sugar belt and a mayo belt, needs a bacon grease belt to complete the set. 

maxresdefault.jpg

18 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I'm thinking he has a mayo belt at home that he bought from a Krispy Kreme that was closed for remodeling. So now he's got a sugar belt and a mayo belt, needs a bacon grease belt to complete the set. 

maxresdefault.jpg

A truly disturbingly plausible idea. Although before I saw your picture, I imagined an actual belt of condiments/grease that he wears around his oblong circumference wherever he goes for a quick hit of pure fat. Like a cross between a camelback and the hot sauce holsters that Tex Pete wears to tailgates. 

Your idea is even worse. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Like a cross between a camelback and the hot sauce holsters that Tex Pete wears to tailgates. 

Do you realize what you've done here? Ketch and Roach are both buying Camelbacks as we speak, because you know they are reading this thread.  

Quick mayo shots while keeping his ear is to the streets, it's the dream. "That's great but I've actually met Eugenia Duke." - Roach

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

A truly disturbingly plausible idea. Although before I saw your picture, I imagined an actual belt of condiments/grease that he wears around his oblong circumference wherever he goes for a quick hit of pure fat. Like a cross between a camelback and the hot sauce holsters that Tex Pete wears to tailgates. 

Your idea is even worse. 

Yeah I was thinking like a batman utility belt or bus driver change belt, but with condiments. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Machinator said:

(Gerry Hamilton) IT Recruiting Matters: Texas targets and OV schedules

Reveal hidden contents

Recruiting is moving fast and furious with college staffs fighting to line up official visits in June with the likelihood of the dead period being lifted at the end of May.

Today, IT takes a look at where many of Texas targets have official visits schedule.

Quarterback:
Quinn Ewers, Southlake Carroll
Committed to: Ohio State

Maalik Murphy, Jupiero Serra (CA)

Running back:
Jaydon Blue, Klein Cain

Tavorus Jones, El Paso Burges

TreVonte Citizen, Lake Charles Prep

Jamarion Miller, Tyler Legacy

Wide receiver:
Evan Stewart, Frisco Liberty
Official visit schedule: Florida June 4-6, Texas June 11-13, Texas A&M June 24-26

Kevin Coleman, St. Mary’s (MO)
Official visit schedule: TBD. Alabama, Texas and Arizona State will get OV’s per source Tuesday.

Shazz Preston, St. James (LA)
Official visit schedule: Texas June 4-6

Jordan Hudson, Garland High
Committed to: Oklahoma
Official visit schedule: TBD. Likely Texas in June

Armani Winfield, Lewisville High
Official visit scheduled: Texas June 18-20

C.J. Williams, Mater Dei (CA)
Official visit schedule: Notre Dame June 4-6, Ohio State June 11-13, Texas June 18-20

Brenen Thompson, Spearman
Official visit schedule: Oklahoma State June 9-10

Tight end:
Holden Staes, Westminster School (GA)

Oscar Delp, West Forsyth (GA)
Official visit schedule: Georgia June 4-6, Florida June 11-13, South Carolina June 25-27

Arlis Boardingham, Birmingham (CA)

Offensive tackles:
Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek
Official visit schedule: LSU June 4-6, Oregon June 8-10, Oklahoma State June 16-17, Texas June 18-20, Texas A&M June 24-26

Neto Umeozulu, Allen High

Kam Dewberry, Atascocita

Malik Agbo, Todd Beamer (WA)

Josh Conerly Jr., Rainer Beach (WA)

Jacob Sexton, Deer Creek (OK)

Aliou Bah, IMG Academy (FL/TN)

Tyler Booker, IMG Academy
Official visit schedule: Florida June 4-6, Georgia June 18-20, Alabama June 25-26

Offensive guard:
Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie
Official visit schedule: USC June 4-6, Oklahoma June 25-27

Cole Hutson, Frisco High
Official visit schedule: Texas June 11-13, Oklahoma June 18-20, Texas A&M June 24-26

Connor Robertson, Austin Westlake
Official visit schedule: TBD. May commit prior to dead period being lifted.

Earnest Greene, St. John Bosco (CA)

Defensive end:
D.J. Wesolak, Booneville (MO)

Ernest Cooper IV, Arlington Martin

Derrick Brown, Texas High
Official visit schedule: Texas June 4-6, Baylor June 25-27

Omari Abor, Duncanville High

Defensive tackle:
Kristopher Ross, North Shore

Jaray Bledsoe, Bremond
Official visit schedule: Texas A&M June 4-6, Alabama June 18-20, Texas June 25-27

Aaron Bryant, Southaven (MS)

Khurtiss Perry, Park Crossing (AL)

Bear Alexander, Denton Ryan
Committed to: Georgia

Domonique Orange, North Kansas City (MO)

Jadon Scarlett, Coram Deo Academy
Official visit schedule: Texas A&M and Missouri TBD

Zac Swanson, Brophy College Prep (AZ)

Linebackers:
Trevell Johnson, Arlington Martin
Official visit schedule: Texas June 18-20 Oklahoma State UOV June 1st

Niuafe Tuihalamaka, Bishop Alemany
Official visit schedule: Notre Dame June 11-13, Texas June 18-20

Harold Perkins, Cy Park
Official visit schedule: Texas A&M June 4-6

Ish Harris, Pilot Point
Official visit schedule: Texas A&M June 11-13, Texas June 25-27

T.J. Dudley, Montgomery Catholic (AL)
Official visit schedule: Oregon June 4-6, UCF June 11-13

Jeremy Patton, Tenaha
Official visit schedule: Oklahoma State June 9-11

Kip Lewis, Carthage

Martrell Harris, The Woodlands
Official visit schedule: TBD to Texas A&M and Ole Miss

Defensive back:
Bryan Allen Jr., Aledo

Denver Harris, North Shore

Bryce Anderson, Beaumont West Brook
Official visit schedule: Texas A&M, June 4-6, USC June 11-13, Texas June 18-20

Jacoby Mathews, Ponchatoula (LA)
Official visit schedule: Florida June 4-6, Texas June 18-20

Terrance Brooks, John Paul II
Official visit schedule: Texas June 18-20, also Notre Dame, Texas A&M and Alabama

Jaylon Guilbeau, Port Arthur Memorial

He added later on about Stewart:

Reveal hidden contents

Stewart will likely move to June 18-20 due to the Under Armour Future50 event June 11-13.

Man Joseph and Gideon are sure going to be busy that one weekend..

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

Do you realize what you've done here? Ketch and Roach are both buying Camelbacks as we speak, because you know they are reading this thread.  

Quick mayo shots while keeping his ear is to the streets, it's the dream. "That's great but I've actually met Eugenia Duke." - Roach

People in engineering on aircraft carriers sometimes are issued camelbacks because it get so hot in their watch standing spaces when on deployment. A girl my wife knew got in trouble because she had filled hers with ranch.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

People in engineering on aircraft carriers sometimes are issued camelbacks because it get so hot in their watch standing spaces when on deployment. A girl my wife knew got in trouble because she had filled hers with ranch.

The best part of this story might be that I know with 100% certainty that your wife's acquaintance is from Wisconsin. 

• Haha 1

Super K notes on Mathews (he posted this before the "commitment" tweet)

Spoiler

As you know by now, yesterday, 2022 5-star DB, Jacoby Mathews tweeted out that he will be announcing his commitment today at 3 pm.

We are aware of the fact that this could be an April Fools joke but as we noted yesterday, Mathews told me that he is indeed committing and it is not an April Fools joke.

So, all we can do right now is take him at his word.

Also, as Charlie told you all yesterday, I believe that if he does indeed announce a commitment Texas is in a good spot.

Whether he does or doesn’t, I wanted to pass along a few things regarding his recruitment and why Texas could surprise.

***You’ll recall that a few weeks back after I spoke with Jacoby, I noted that LSU, Florida and Texas were in a three way tie at the top of his list.

***In the time we’ve known Jacoby he has continued to emphasize how important it is that a program can provide opportunities outside of football. What he specifically seems to mean is that states like Texas and Florida being such a big and wealthy states, can provide him a network and a platform that stands above some of the smaller states.

***He also emphasized the fact that a place like Texas is somewhere he actually would like to live down the road.

***Jacoby admitted that it is hard for a Louisiana kid to turn down LSU especially given the fact that they offered him at such a young age.  He seemed torn in that regard. On the one hand, you have Texas as a big wealthy program and a big wealthy state that can perhaps provide broader opportunities versus his home state school that has been there from the beginning.

***Here though, I think Texas has a bit of a counter. He had a previous relationship with both Gideon and Terry Joseph. And beyond that, his high school head coach was coach Terry Joseph’s coach, as well.

***The other thing that caught my attention is Jacoby told me he attended a Texas game back when he was in eighth grade and it seems to have had a big impact on him. If I recall correctly it was a Texas vs Kansas State game. He was at an age where he was old enough to imagine himself as a recruit but still young enough for it to perhaps feel even bigger than it was.

***He raved about it and said it was the best football environment he’s ever seen.

***I also got the sense that he actually was anxious to make a decision but felt like he still needed to take some visits. He is scheduled to take OVs in June. But if he does announce a decision today, it won’t be as big of a surprise as it may seem. Again, he seemed anxious to want to get the process over with. He picked up his first offer in eighth grade so he’s been going through this process for a long time.

***Again, perhaps he is joking but he is telling me that it’s not a joke and all we can do for now is go off what he’s telling us.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting