Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

That article was depressing as hell.  No mention of our staff and the only time Texas came up was about our impending SEC coattails and battling a MAC school for a JAG.  The recruits we’re after that it mentioned are by no means sure things to end up here.

We are not currently relevant, which is suboptimal.  

Not trying to be chicken little over here, but it’s hard nowadays on the recruiting front.

Edited by Darth Tron

9 minutes ago, hook me said:

A Pac12 assistant who said his previous HC wasn't heavily involved in recruiting & saw himself as only some sort of closer? Hmmmm... my money is on Naivar.

heh

original quote:

Pac-12 coach: That was my life at (my previous job). Our head coach was awful at recruiting. Thought it was beneath him … and (thought) that he walked in and was the closer. When the head coach is involved and you’re recruiting against that and you don’t have your head coach involved, it’s a bitch.

• Hook 'Em 1

Humidor

Spoiler

TEAM

The team followed up Wednesday’s spirited practice with a dud of a scrimmage on Thursday. Many of the players who weren’t expecting a high effort day never recalibrated and it lit a fire under head coach Steve Sarkisian.

Sark essentially told the team (this is not verbatim) a bunch of players were just trying to survive the practice and went through the motions. Who actually got better? He said the coaches are going to roll with the guys that do things the right way and come to work every day.

This isn’t to say the whole team was flat. There are guys who bring it every practice and those are the ones who will see increased playing time.

As we mentioned on Thursday, Casey Thompson didn’t scrimmage in order to shield his sprained thumb. That opened the door for Hudson Card and he was a mixed bag on the day. He was getting the ball out quickly and was mostly accurate, but he did throw a pick to Anthony Cook that was on the QB and another one that should have been caught that was deflected to cornerback Josh Thompson.

The first thing that was mentioned about Thursday’s scrimmage was the amount of drops. This week of practice has seen an uptick in targets to the tight ends but there were too many drops on Thursday, notably by freshman Ja’Tavion Sanders. Sanders does a good job to get open, and he was going against the first team defense, but he struggled to convert opportunity into yards. In 12 personnel, he was attached while Juan Davis was flexed out.

The contest was more passing oriented, though a good amount of that was from 12 personnel.

Look for Keilan Robinson to finally get more touches going forward, potentially in 20 personnel. They want him more involved and will utilize him as a way to spell Bijan going forward.

Regarding wide receiver, “Xavier Worthy is the only one who consistently gets open.” We knew that, but it’s more of the same.

After a slow start to the scrimmage where the first 2-3 drives stalled, the offense was able to get some things going and move the ball a little. They scored two short yardage rushing touchdowns, one from Roschon Johnson and the other from Jonathon Brooks.

The O-line was “mediocre to average.” Christian Jones was given the day off which promoted Andrej Karic to left tackle. In hindsight, a good sign the offensive line was going to be subpar was Pete Kwiatkowski thinking Jett Bush would be a good idea as a run-defending Jack.

On Thursday, the D-line was able to get to the quarterback regardless of defensive package, but the best front continues to be base that features Moro Ojomo-Keondre Coburn-Alfred Collins flanked by Ovie Oghoufo and Ray Thornton. We should be seeing a lot of that in the coming weeks, as well as the nickel package that keeps Collins at Jack and Oghoufo at X.

We didn’t hear much about the linebackers. “Jaylan Ford played fine.”

Jahdae Barron continues to play over Darion Dunn but both are starter quality.

There were no changes at safety and we heard nothing new there.

Much of what they’re practicing seems to indicate they have a good handle on what needs to improve and how to create an identity over the rest of the season. Is that too little, too late to play in the conference championship? Almost assuredly. Is it too late to build toward next season and create much-needed recruiting momentum ahead of signing day? Not at all.

RECRUITING

With Texas on its bye week, Steve Sarkisian and staff began hitting the road on Thursday and will continue to do so over the next couple days.

Sarkisian and quarterbacks coach AJ Milwee are set to see 2022 four-star Draper (Utah) Corner Canyon quarterback Devin Brown. The four-star USC commit is scheduled to take an official visit on November 13. Sarkisian and Milwee will see other prospects out west.

Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood went by Arlington Lamar to see 2023 offensive tackle Isaiah Robinson. Flood also stopped by Arlington Bowie to catch 2022 interior lineman Devon Campbell. Allen’s Neto Umeozulu is another priority he’ll see.

Texas linebackers coach Jeff Choate is set for Utah. He will see Brighton’s 2022 linebacker Lander Barton and 2022 offensive tackle Tyler Knaak, and potentially see 2023 linebacker Tausili Akana from Skyridge (Lehi, UT).

Texas safeties coach Blake Gideon was in East Texas last night. He started at Tyler High to see recent UT offer 2024 athlete Derrick McFall and Tyler Legacy for 2022 running back pledge Jamarion Miller. He made a stop in Carthage and asked about 2023 receiver Montrell Hatten. The 6-foot-1, 175-pounder holds offers from Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Houston among others.

Texas wide receivers coach Andre Coleman went to see 2023 Del Valle receiver Braylon James on Thursday night. He’ll be checking in on Lewisville’s Armani Winfield, Flower Mound Marcus’ Ashton Cozart, and DeSoto’s Johntay Cook. He might also hit Rockwall for Noble Johnson and Heath for Baylor pledge Jordan Nabors as well.

Texas tight ends coach Jeff Banks went to see 2023 Haslet Eaton tight end Jaden Platt on Thursday night. The 6-foot-5, 235-pound four-star holds offers from Texas, Texas A&M, and Stanford.

Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis was in Louisiana, and will be in Mississippi to see On300 defensive line commit Aaron Bryant (Southaven, Miss.).

Texas corners coach Terry Joseph returned to his native Louisiana to see safety Jacoby Mathews (Ponchatoula, La.) and wide receiver Shazz Preston (St. James, La.). Mathews recently took an official visit to Texas and told IT it really opened his eyes. Preston remains in UT’s crosshairs, but UT is battling Georgia, Alabama, and LSU.

Texas went by Round Rock Stony Point to see 2023 athlete Cameron Cook on Thursday. The 5-foot-11, 180-pound tailback holds offers from Oklahoma State, Cincinnati, Vanderbilt, and Kansas among others. He took an unofficial visit to Austin earlier this season and is quite fond of the Horns.

Hoops

Texas assistant Ulric Maligi was at Montverde Academy on Thursday to see On3 No. 37 Dillon Mitchell. IT considers the 6-foot-7 wing a Texas lean following his official visit last weekend. The Longhorns jumped to the lead after the Sunshine State prospect was leaning toward Florida State over Tennessee for weeks. At one point, Mitchell was an Ohio State lean before the Seminoles jumped to the front of the race. A decision is expected in the next week.

The Longhorns currently have one commit in the 2022 class in On3’s No. 14 Arterio Morris (Dallas Kimball).

• Hook 'Em 3

“He said the coaches are going to roll with the guys that do things the right way and come to work every day.”

I’m good with kids who only bring it on Saturday. The ones that “bring it every day” seem to be bad at playing football. This is Mack speak that brings me into the CTJ camp. I get it is a carrot to get them to work harder, but unless they are playing XBox during practice what does it mean. It just always seems to be a way to play shittier players and get a cover story. 

15 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

“He said the coaches are going to roll with the guys that do things the right way and come to work every day.”

I’m good with kids who only bring it on Saturday. The ones that “bring it every day” seem to be bad at playing football. This is Mack speak that brings me into the CTJ camp. I get it is a carrot to get them to work harder, but unless they are playing XBox during practice what does it mean. It just always seems to be a way to play shittier players and get a cover story. 

How do you give a kid playing time on Saturday if he looks like shit in practice? Based off his high school tape? Obviously, you have guys that you don't need to see practice because they've shown it on the field, but I don't think we have many of those on this team.

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

No fucking coach plays guys that look like shit or don't work in practice.

• Hook 'Em 4

That’s what I’m asking. Do they actually look like shit or do they just need a cover? Do you think our guys are masterbating all day while Brock is intercepting 10 passes? I have been to a lot of college practices. There is not a huge difference in attitudes or play. They might want a 5 star to play harder and “earn” his way on to the field. But unless that kid is eating his boogers and not paying attention to the coach, then you play him. I get problem kids. But we hear about them. There haven’t been practice reports suggesting anyone player outside of Davis has been an issue at a practice. 

What schools do you think should be recruiting better?

Sun Belt coach: I got into some battles with Florida State on some kids and that should never happen. When I say battle, we were offering the same kids and that should never happen at that kind of school. Texas. They took a kid I put as like a prospect and they took him and I’m like, “Eh, the kid might be a first-round draft choice,” but I just didn’t see it.

This is coming from a Sun Belt coach, so I'm guessing its about the CB we took from Louisiana.

Edited by Lonestar88

7 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

This is coming from a Sun Belt coach, so I'm guessing its about the CB we took from Louisiana.

I think it's more likely Aaron Bryant. It could be a South Alabama assistant with Lewis but I'm guessing with the "might be a 1st round draft choice" line throwaway - I'd guess it's Bryant. 

28 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

That’s what I’m asking. Do they actually look like shit or do they just need a cover? Do you think our guys are masterbating all day while Brock is intercepting 10 passes? I have been to a lot of college practices. There is not a huge difference in attitudes or play. They might want a 5 star to play harder and “earn” his way on to the field. But unless that kid is eating his boogers and not paying attention to the coach, then you play him. I get problem kids. But we hear about them. There haven’t been practice reports suggesting anyone player outside of Davis has been an issue at a practice. 

How many 5 stars do you think we have?  

6 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I think it's more likely Aaron Bryant. It could be a South Alabama assistant with Lewis but I'm guessing with the "might be a 1st round draft choice" line throwaway - I'd guess it's Bryant. 

Bryant had a commitable Bama offer, don't think its him

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Bryant was pursued by too many good P5 schools for me to think that it’s him. Can’t see a Sun Belt coach being surprised we took him, even if he didn't personally like him. Although the 1st round line does throw a wrench in things.

20 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Nothing about the quote restricts it to 2022, could be 2021, like Casey Cain

Very true. I was only thinking about the current class. Cain fits the description just as much as the corner.

3 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Gundy played himself into a new contract against us apparently. Technically recruiting related.

Sign it quick Gundy.  Okie Lite gonna lose to Iowa State Saturday, and probably get a 2nd loss before the 2021 Bedlam game... 😋

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Strange offer this late. Hope it's not a sign on Stewart or other WRs we're after

There are reasons to feel confident with Stewart right now but the kid has completely flipped things around twice already and now Aggy are getting involved with the usual bag bullshit so its best to consider him a coin toss. I think it has more to do with Winfield; I don't see him bailing for Michigan St...  but if Tucker gets the LSU gig as many expect will happen? Yeah he gone. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself

39 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

There are reasons to feel confident with Stewart right now but the kid has completely flipped things around twice already and now Aggy are getting involved with the usual bag bullshit so its best to consider him a coin toss. I think it has more to do with Winfield; I don't see him bailing for Michigan St...  but if Tucker gets the LSU gig as many expect will happen? Yeah he gone. 

You wet yourself typing these assumptions up?

• Haha 4
  • Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

You wet yourself typing these assumptions up?

The fact that Aggy is actively in talks trying to buy Stewart at the moment isn't an assumption. The fact that Winfield wants to play for Tucker, but isn't wild about playing so far from home at Michigan St, is also not an assumption (he has told people close to him). If you can't put two and two together and guess what will happen when Tucker is suddenly coaching at LSU you are even more of a fucktarded smooth brained cunt than you normally look. 

Personally I think Winfield stays in this class and we land Stewart but hedging against those two outcomes is exactly why we are now talking with the new WR..  which is the question that was being addressed. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting