Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry:

He began the in-home visit process Sunday with Florida State assistants Sunday evening. Seminoles head coach Mike Norvell is expected to make an in-home next week. Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian and safeties coach Blake Gideon will be in-home Tuesday night ahead of the weekend official visit. Alabama assistant coach Eddie Roach plans to visit in-home Wednesday. LSU assistant Mickey Joseph is also expected to make an in-home visit later this week

Reports on twitter and what-not are that Joseph is expected to leave LSU and return to Nebraska.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry:

Shreveport (La.) Captain Shreve athlete Kendrick Law will make two final official visits over the next two weekends.

The 5-foot-11, 185-pound versatile playmaker at receiver and safety took unofficial visits to Texas on Friday and LSU on Saturday, and he will see both again. 

The No. 85 ranked prospect in the On3 Consensus will make an official visit to Texas this weekend, and will officially visit LSU December 10th weekend. 

The Longhorns and Tigers two of the four schools in serious contention. 

Law, the No. 48 ranked prospect in the On300, has Alabama and Florida State rounding out his top four. He made an official visit to Florida State the first weekend in September and tripped to Alabama November 6 for the LSU game. 

He began the in-home visit process Sunday with Florida State assistants Sunday evening. Seminoles head coach Mike Norvell is expected to make an in-home next week. Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian and safeties coach Blake Gideon will be in-home Tuesday night ahead of the weekend official visit. Alabama assistant coach Eddie Roach plans to visit in-home Wednesday. LSU assistant Mickey Joseph is also expected to make an in-home visit later this week. 

The No. 8 ranked prospect in the Pelican State posted personal bests of 10.48 (wind-aided) in the 100 meters, 22.05 in the 200 meters and a 22’8” long jump as a junior. 

All four programs are recruiting Kendrick Law as an athlete that could play safety or receiver. LSU has talked more about playing wide receiver to begin his career. Texas and Alabama have leaned more to safety long-term in the recruiting pitch. 

Does LSU have a coach by Dec 10th?

41 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Of note - Terry Joseph did an in-home visit with Terrance Brooks on Sunday. Also, the staff wanted Nick Evers to visit for the K-State game but he wouldn't visit without being offered first.

https://www.on3.com/news/recruiting-intel-from-texas-and-louisiana-as-in-home-visits-begin/

Wonder if the Evers thing is a last ditch effort to get Stewart.

6 minutes ago, SarksJuggs said:

Wonder if the Evers thing is a last ditch effort to get Stewart.

Or backup option to Devin Brown.

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Someone is going to have to refresh me or set me straight, but aren't we back to transfers not being able to play immediately with Covid subsiding? 

I think the one-time "free" transfer was a permanent rule. So you only have to sit out if you transfer a second time or if you do it after the deadline in July or whenever it is

• Hook 'Em 1

By: Justin, Gerry, and Eric

News of Lincoln Riley moving to LA yesterday sent shockwaves throughout the college football world and we’re just now beginning to understand how some recruiting dominoes could fall.

OU GUYS TO WATCH

TE Jason Llewellyn, Aledo (Aledo, TX) - 2022: The Oklahoma pledge is still a Sooner this morning, and wants to see how the staff shakes out before making a decision. One person close to the four-star tight end says he thinks Llewellyn will likely open things back up. If Texas is still interested, that may be a motivating factor. Llewelyn was an early offer for the new staff so we’re monitoring.

OL Jacob Sexton, Deer Creek (Edmond, OK) - 2022: The big offensive guard really liked the Horns at one point, but ended up in the Oklahoma class. He has a lot to think about, he tells IT. We’re not expecting movement here but things change quickly in recruiting.

LB Kobie McKinzie, Cooper (Lubbock, TX) - 2022: This is the one to watch. The four-star west Texan has always been fond of the Longhorns, even after his commitment to OU. When the new staff arrived, UT had his attention but the staff never pursued. Now, UT is re-engaging contact and if an offer is floated in his direction, IT loves UT's chances.

LB Kip Lewis, Carthage (Carthage, TX) - 2022: The Riley/OU news shook the four-star linebacker from East Texas to the point he turned his phone off. Texas, Texas A&M, and LSU are schools to watch if Lewis decides to open up his recruitment. IT isn’t sure what Lewis will decide to do after thinking things over.

DB Xavion Brice, Seguin (Arlington, TX) - 2022: This is a dude UT should've called immediately. After camping and visiting Austin with UT commit Jamel Johnson last summer, the Horns offered the ball-hawking defensive back. OU did the same then pushed hard for the On3 four-star talent. Now, Brice wants to re-examine his options and potentially open things up, he tells IT.

Two 2023 OU targets, Ashton Cozart (Flower Mound Marcus) and Javien Toviano (Arlington Martin) were considered strong Sooners leans before yesterday. After catching up with both, it's safe to say the DFW duo are looking harder at other programs this morning.

Cozart always liked Texas and this move couldn't have come at a better time. The On3 four-star wideout was close to shutting down his recruitment yesterday afternoon. Timing is everything.

Toviano always liked Texas too, but his eyes began to wander north of the red river late last summer. This helps/hurts UT; he'll likely give Texas another strong look but also pushes Alabama near the top of his wish list.

USC TARGETS TO WATCH

QB Devin Brown, Corner Canyon (Draper, UT) - 2022: This is certainly something to watch as Texas and Ohio State battle for the On3 four-star's services. If Riley retains Graham Harrell, you can probably expect Brown back in LA. You also have to watch Riley's push, if he chooses to pursue the former Trojans verbal pledge. The USC quarterback depth chart will be something for Brown to monitor. Jaxson Dart looks to be the starter for two more years. You have to assume 2023 five-star Malachi Nelson will re-commit to Brown. Then there’s the Caleb Williams variable. Brown is an early enrollee so this is going to be a busy couple of weeks for him.

OL Devon Campbell, Bowie (Arlington, TX) - 2022: When the Riley news broke, this was the first recruit we thought about. He was very fond of the Southern Cal lifestyle over the summer and into early fall. Plus, we know he likes Bill Bedenbaugh. One thing to watch with the five-star offensive mauler is the trust factor. Campbell isn't a fan of coaches playing musical chairs with their jobs. Texas will see Campbell on Tuesday and Inside Texas will see the priority prospect Tuesday night for his basketball game.

TEXAS COACHES ON THE ROAD

Kyle Flood and Jeff Banks are scheduled to be in-home with Oregon verbal Kelvin Banks (Humble, Texas/Summer Creek) early this week. Texas and Texas A&M remain serious threats to flip the On3 Consensus 5-star.

Steve Sarkisian, Blake Gideon, and Jeff Choate will do an in-home visit with Derrick Brown (Texarkana/Texas High) on Tuesday.

Texas (Sark, Bo, PK) will do an in-home visit with UT pledge Justice Finkley (Trussville, AL/Hewitt) on Wednesday.

Pete Kwiatkowski did an in-home visit with UT pledge Anthony Jones (Las Vegas/Liberty) on Sunday. Jones is locked and loaded, he tells IT.

Texas did an in-home visit with UT commit BJ Allen (Aledo) yesterday and Allen reaffirmed his pledge to the Horns, he tells IT.

Texas staff members are expected by Tyler Junior College this week to see LB Xavier Benson (Pleasant Grove, Texas/TJC). An offer, and OV being set up would be the next steps after that coach visit this week, he tells IT.

Texas staff members are expected in to see Devon Campbell (Arlington/Bowie) this week. Likely Tuesday during the day, and then attend Campbell’s basketball game that night.

Steve Sarkisian and Bo Davis will do an in-home with UT pledge Aaron Bryant (Southaven, MS) Tuesday at noon.

Steve Sarksisian and Kyle Flood went to see Cole Hutson last night, further cementing his place with UT's Class of 2022, he tells IT. Hutson is an early enrollee.

Kyle Flood will do an in-home with Neto Umeozulu (Allen, TX) and family on Monday. Umeozulu’s ability to come in and compete right away at Texas has registered. Alabama is the primary competition with the uncertainty around USC and Oklahoma with Riley off to Los Angeles. Umeozulu turns 18 December 5. A date IT is paying attention to.

Texas coaches Steve Sarkisian, Andre Coleman, and Jeff Banks were in Spearman, TX checking in with On3 No. 27 prospect and UT commit Brenen Thompson.

"(UT staff) came today," said Bonnie Thompson, Brenen's mother. "It was awesome. We are so blessed. It was a great in-home visit. We both know this is exactly where he is supposed to be playing next fall. We are both super excited."

Texas is expected to make an in-home with Harold Perkins (Cypress, Texas/Cy Park) later this week. Texas A&M is on the schedule Tuesday, and LSU Wednesday. The Aggies side remains very confident, especially with Riley choosing USC over LSU.

Coaches will be by to see athlete Kendrick Law (Shreveport, Louisiana/Captain Shreve) on Tuesday. We’re paying attention to this one. Law visited for the Kansas State game and will take an official visit to Texas this weekend. IT isn’t picking Texas but Texas is in it. Gerry has more here.

Texas was scheduled to FaceTime with five-star cornerback Denver Harris (Houston, Texas/North Shore) on Sunday. An in-home time is still being set. A&M is a very real threat.

And then there is this

Texas continues to make a run at On3 Consensus 4-star defensive back and Ohio State commit Terrance Brooks (Little Elm, Texas). Texas defensive backs coach Terry Joseph was in-home Sunday night. Ohio State’s Kerry Coombs is scheduled to be in-home today. As long as Coombs remains with the Buckeyes, Brooks isn’t expected to flip. Coombs’ track record of player development was huge in Brooks decision last summer.

Ole Miss has not given up on On3 Consensus 4-star defensive lineman and Texas commitment Kristopher Ross (Houston, Texas/North Shore). Rebels defensive line coach Randall Joyner watched Ross in person last week. Ross told On3 Sunday he has not set up an official visit at this point. Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis is expected to make an in-home later this week. We do not expect any drama here, but we respect Randall Joyner as a recruiter.

Texas quietly reached out to On3 Consensus 4-star quarterback Nick Evers (Flower Mound, Texas/Flower Mound) in the last week or so. The Longhorns staff asked Evers to come down to Austin for the Kansas State game and meet with Sarkisian, but Evers declined without an offer. Evers is excited about the hire of Billy Napier, and plans to meet with him soon. A visit to Florida December 11th weekend is planned. Notre Dame and Kansas State also have reached out to Evers in the last couple of weeks. On3 expects Evers to stick with the Gators, as of today.

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Texas was scheduled to FaceTime with five-star cornerback Denver Harris (Houston, Texas/North Shore) on Sunday. An in-home time is still being set. A&M is a very real threat.

A&M back to being a threat for Harris? Wtf I thought he hated them

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

A&M back to being a threat for Harris? Wtf I thought he hated them

That was a hedge in case they say "fuck it" and drop something ridiculous in front of him the night before signing day. 

This is going to be the first year in which we witness SEC recruiting around signing day front and center, with Texas allegedly being a player. Wake me when it's over.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

- We are relying on the portal to fix entire position groups. QB, OL, WR, TE, they're all bad. So bad. DL lacks playmakers. LB unit is a chernobyl level disaster. I don't see any high level guys in the secondary. Whats the real expectation in the portal? How many GOOD players can we find? I'm skeptical

Not sure what else they should be relying on/attempting at this point

12 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

The thing is, things never looked darker during the Eyes stuff. Then we get serious buy in from our donors on the UM stuff (which was awesome). However, he gave us the info we needed when he declined. Based on that info, I really thought there was some alignment towards getting this thing fixed. No, Sark didnt get everyone overly excited. But there is such an obvious need to build anyways for the next guy. I am just not seeing the buy in or the urgency. I think we are years away from competing in the SEC. I am just not seeing us wake up and I think its going to take even more embarrassment before we decide if we even give a shit. Its fucking frustrating. Arkansas, A&M, LSU. They will all want a major piece of us. Our only chance is to fight fire with fire, but that isnt us at all right now. 

Seems like there's a lot of people too comfortable with their jobs. Like the new hire gave them a few years of free drinks and backrubs and that'll do.

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

Not sure what else they should be relying on/attempting at this point

Who the staff? They've had dog shit communication with the forms of help they desperately need. NIL and recruiting needs to be running red hot. A big part of that is the $$$ guys being engaged properly. Sark doesnt have to be Mack Brown but he has to actually try hard. 

2 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Who the staff? They've had dog shit communication with the forms of help they desperately need. NIL and recruiting needs to be running red hot. A big part of that is the $$$ guys being engaged properly. Sark doesnt have to be Mack Brown but he has to actually try hard. 

Oh I agree, I just meant as far as immediate help at positions of need (fucking all of them)

17 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

- We are relying on the portal to fix entire position groups. QB, OL, WR, TE, they're all bad. So bad. DL lacks playmakers. LB unit is a chernobyl level disaster. I don't see any high level guys in the secondary. Whats the real expectation in the portal? How many GOOD players can we find? I'm skeptical. 

Obviously we're in uncharted territory but damn it sure seems like the portal is gonna be wild. I think there will be plenty of upgrades available, if we can land them.

10 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I mean yah, to all of that shit, but that doesn't change the fact that it's not really the current staff's doing on why they're "relying on the portal" this offseason. Or they can just settle for the stuff that was already on campus, I guess. 

This reaping is from so many different angles and eras. It's so overwhelming. 

Edited by UncleBuck

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Obviously we're in uncharted territory but damn it sure seems like the portal is gonna be wild. I think there will be plenty of upgrades available, if we can land them.

Problem is it isnt hard to upgrade dog shit. We need players that are actually good at football. There just isnt much room for missing on opportunities and Im not seeing how Texas is the spot for high end transfers over teams that are actually doing everything they can to win. 

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

This reaping is from so many different angles and eras. It's so overwhelming. 

Well put. I just thought our people understood this. Shit, go raise 10 million bucks. That would cover the majority of our past sins in terms of fixing the roster. Maybe I personally have failed on that end, but again I'm a small fry. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Well put. I just thought our people understood this. Shit, go raise 10 million bucks. That would cover the majority of our past sins in terms of fixing the roster. Maybe I personally have failed on that end, but again I'm a small fry. 

I mean, you could try actually asking them to contribute money. At this point, there are several NIL avenues to do such. 

34 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

There's so much shit that needs to be fixed with this program. I get that Riley just threw a molotov cocktail through OU's window on his way out, but its close to meaningless for Texas because our house is already on fire as well. Two different text threads from yesterday really really rubbed me the wrong way. If everyone celebrating OU's misfortunes in those threads would commit to handling our own business I might feel better. Here's where I think the program sits:

- We had a complete disaster of a season. An utter embarrassment. While we desperately need to be progressing towards our future in the SEC, we arent even going fucking bowling. What a joke.

- Sark bungled the defensive coaching staff, and doesnt look to be making the changes to fix his mistakes. 

- We are relying on the portal to fix entire position groups. QB, OL, WR, TE, they're all bad. So bad. DL lacks playmakers. LB unit is a chernobyl level disaster. I don't see any high level guys in the secondary. Whats the real expectation in the portal? How many GOOD players can we find? I'm skeptical. 

- Recruiting should be going worse, but that doesn't mean its going particularly well. We are basically hoping for a top 10 finish. That isnt going to cut it when our current roster is this bad. We currently lack top end talent despite plenty of it being willing to play here if we simply meet table stakes. 

- The "recruiting preparations" for the SEC are almost nonexistent within our donor base. At this point, I'm not sure we have made up any ground on our future opponents since the SEC announcement. 

- There are some upcoming NIL bright spots, but our AD has completely fucked around on this issue. We certainly arent weaponizing the way we should be. 

The thing is, things never looked darker during the Eyes stuff. Then we get serious buy in from our donors on the UM stuff (which was awesome). However, he gave us the info we needed when he declined. Based on that info, I really thought there was some alignment towards getting this thing fixed. No, Sark didnt get everyone overly excited. But there is such an obvious need to build anyways for the next guy. I am just not seeing the buy in or the urgency. I think we are years away from competing in the SEC. I am just not seeing us wake up and I think its going to take even more embarrassment before we decide if we even give a shit. Its fucking frustrating. Arkansas, A&M, LSU. They will all want a major piece of us. Our only chance is to fight fire with fire, but that isnt us at all right now. 

What a sad existence it must be to not be able to find joy in the head coach of our primary rival bolting and setting the program on fire on his way out.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

Roach: Breakfast Bites

Spoiler

— College football can bring you so much heartbreak or joy, but there is nothing like the offseason drama. Yesterday might have been the hottest I've ever seen it. Lincoln Riley leaving Oklahoma high and dry and gutting their coaching staff and recruiting class in the process was one of the more shocking things I've ever seen. I know this is a business and we see guys leave for better opportunities quite a bit, but the way this was executed felt somewhat coldly calculated. For Texas, a 5-7 season was just about the biggest disaster you can imagine right now, but Steve Sarkisian isn't going anywhere, and there is something to be said for stability at a time like this. With Texas out of the postseason, the coaches are on the road with playing time to sell and a cohesive staff. This is an opportunity for Texas to strike and land some surprise blows.

— We've already talked about Kobie McKinzie who Texas initiated contact with last night. McKinzie is a jumbo linebacker who probably best fits as an EDGE prospect, but there is some versatility based on how heavy he plays at the next level. That strategy would fit what Pete Kwiatkowski and Jeff Choate have done in the past. At Washington, they took a few players with EDGE ability and athletic versatility and moved them to different spots in the defense. There are a few guys in this class who fit that mold including Derrick Brown the Texarkana Texas High School prospect. McKinzie being back on the board makes for another player who can fit that mold.

— As of now, I don't expect Texas to pursue Carthage linebacker and Oklahoma commit Kip Lewis unless he shows real interest in the Longhorns. Lewis never seemed that interested in the beginning, and this staff doesn't seem to want anyone that doesn't want to be there. With the NCAA Transfer Portal in effect, you really can't recruit that type of kid anymore, because they have an easy out if they never wanted to be there in the first place. Some kids just don't jibe with Texas, and Lewis seemed to be one of them during the spring when Oklahoma and Texas A&M both made bigger waves with him.

— Speaking of the NCAA Transfer Portal, it is going to be booming today. It's already starting as news of Zach Evans leaving TCU was reported just before I published this. Texas coaches are looking for great finds on Cyber Monday, but they are going to have to be more surgical with the way they operate in the portal this offseason. There will be a lot of names, and we will check on every one of them to see if there is anything to them. If we find something we will definitely report something, but Texas and the college football world is anticipating the most talented portal class in its short history. One name I don't expect to make it is Quinn Ewers. A few weeks ago we reported that there was a lot of consideration from the Ewers side on entering the portal, but several sources told us over the weekend they believe the former five-star will go through the spring competition at Ohio State. There are a few names that left the state after high school that we are watching, and we will have you covered on all portal news on Horns247.

— Texas coaches are on the road for the next few weeks. In homes will be taking place (Sark already saw Cole Hutson and Brenen Thompson) as assistants can visit once a week and head coaches only get one visit. We will be scrambling to check on those as much as possible, but the staff has a lot of names to see and a short time to do it. New names could pop up if coaches like what they see, and I expect to see some of the staff at regional final games this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

- Sark bungled the defensive coaching staff, and doesnt look to be making the changes to fix his mistakes. 

This is the most concerning part of your post to me. If he’s not even going to try to get this abortion of a defense fixed nothing else really matters. 

Edited by TXRed
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, you could try actually asking them to contribute money. At this point, there are several NIL avenues to do such. 

I'm good at making the ask. We'll see on the NIL stuff that currently exists. I've hit at least 7 guys up to contribute. I'm not saying none will contribute, but they're all eager to be part of coaching stuff as a group. But again, I dont even think Sark is firing PK. 

4 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I'm good at making the ask. We'll see on the NIL stuff that currently exists. I've hit at least 7 guys up to contribute. I'm not saying none will contribute, but they're all eager to be part of coaching stuff as a group. But again, I dont even think Sark is firing PK. 

Not that I agree with keeping PK on staff, but I could see him being kept so as to not cause alarm that the entire defensive staff is shitty (especially if he was involved with the defensive line recruiting). Have you heard any hesitancy with respect to position coaches like Joseph or Coleman (is Sark another Herman in wanting to keep his guys)?

6 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Well, they've got literally 7 days to contribute if they want to make a difference in recruiting this season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting