Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

5 minutes ago, Tony Two K said:

Weren’t we second to ND for Tuihalamaka? 

He and CJ Williams were the two ND guys we were in on. But they’re both Cali kids and USC just got a lot more enticing for them.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

oh-no-baby.gif

You’ve been gone for a while, there’s a whole legion of posters who think Sark did great this year, it’s a thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

They now have a better pure coach than anybody in the SEC except Alabama.  With the right staff he will sure as shit be a problem for us.  About the only worse outcomes would have been Riley or Urban.  

I will just say this. The interest by Rhule in that LSU job was real. I know people connected to him and while I'm not saying it ever came close to being done it came close enough to have me breathing one giant fucking sigh of relief right now. I will take a 60 year old Kelly who takes pride in doing things 'clean' at LSU over the VERY possible alternatives. Cristobal was also very much in the mix had they pressed and while I think he is a fairly shit coach it would been catastrophic to our recruiting for the short and near term. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

I will just say this. The interest by Rhule in that LSU job was real. I know people connected to him and while I'm not saying it ever came close to being done it came close enough to have me breathing one giant fucking sigh of relief right now. I will take a 60 year old Kelly who takes pride in doing things 'clean' at LSU over the VERY possible alternatives. Cristobal was also very much in the mix had they pressed and while I think he is a fairly shit coach it would been catastrophic to our recruiting for the short and near term. 

Nice. If Sark fucks up next year we can throw the kitchen sink at Rhule. 

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Well shit now you have me worried about Rhule to OU. That would be very bad. 

LSU definetly recruits itself, and a good coach at LSU can be very dangerous …

i do wonder though if Kelly will change his recruiting style being at a school that has its pick of kids in state. You’d have to think he keeps a few coaches on staff or at least some that know the LSU school to help him. 

My ND friends have mixed feelings on Kelly.  In terms of impact on UT, it does seem like the least worse option compared to Cristobal, Riley or Rhule. 

That said, I will never forget a bizarre Kelly story from the final Charlie Strong year.  During ND practice, the staff had set up one of the pieces of equipment—that padded alley where the running back pushes through several dummy pads—backwards. Meaning that the running back was essentially running into an immovable padded door.

A walk on running back recognized it was backwards and tried to tell Kelly.  Kelly, shocked at the audacity of his player to question him, shut the player down and said something along the lines of “it’s not, shut the fuck up and do the drill.”  Running back proceeded to try it at a full sprint, bounced off the equipment and ended up in concussion protocol.

I hope he brings that kind of attitude to the SEC.

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Nope.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Dykes had no need to take complete scrubs at WR at SMU. Might just be a late riser who hadn't been taking calls while he was a commit.

Obviously no Evan Stewart, but plenty of ways it's not totally absurd. 

It's an interesting offer because he didn't even play WR. If it's truly a scholarship offer, it's odd. Texas isn't in the position to offer gadget/developmental guys right now. Use it in the portal if so.

Edited by MuellerHorn

6 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Has this kid had a ridiculous senior season, or?...

He did have a really good year. But yeah, I don’t know how to feel about this one. Makes me feel like we are striking out big time on other WRs

FWIW he played QB for Grand Prairie and led them to a playoff win which is a big deal. Grand Prairie is a historically terrible football program.

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Yeah wtf? Maybe it’s a PWO offer. I mean it has to be right?

Nah, the offer for us might be a headscratcher, but he is not a walk-on type of player.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Just because someone is offered doesn’t mean it’s commitable. 

Jeff Banks and Sark are very familiar with how fake offers work.

How would that make sense to do in this situation?

Hey, Evan Stewart, your spot is going to get taken by a low three-star if you don't commit soon!

9 minutes ago, Professor Chesney said:

My ND friends have mixed feelings on Kelly.  In terms of impact on UT, it does seem like the least worse option compared to Cristobal, Riley or Rhule. 

That said, I will never forget a bizarre Kelly story from the final Charlie Strong year.  During ND practice, the staff had set up one of the pieces of equipment—that padded alley where the running back pushes through several dummy pads—backwards. Meaning that the running back was essentially running into an immovable padded door.

A walk on running back recognized it was backwards and tried to tell Kelly.  Kelly, shocked at the audacity of his player to question him, shut the player down and said something along the lines of “it’s not, shut the fuck up and do the drill.”  Running back proceeded to try it at a full sprint, bounced off the equipment and ended up in concussion protocol.

I hope he brings that kind of attitude to the SEC.

You mean this:

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2013/8/15/4624518/notre-dame-gauntlet-drill-backwards

Can't find the video though, only the giphy

10 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

This. Save that spot for a better transfer. 

At 210 lbs though, are we sure this guy is actually a future WR? Might go on defense. 

247 measurements are definitely wrong or outdated. Covid wrecked the camp scene and that means way more inaccurate info.

They have him at 5’10, but that came from the opening more than two years ago. He lists himself as 6’2 195 on Twitter, but obviously that’s self-reported.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting