Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Hudl looks great for sure, I guess size will be the main question mark. Nahlin compared him to Ben Burr-Kirven for PK's defense. Looks like coming out they were pretty much the exact same size: 

https://247sports.com/Player/Ben-Burr-Kirven-50041/high-school-84865/

Should be able to put on the 20-25 pounds pretty quickly in a college strength program. 

Edited by UncleSonny

11 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Hudl looks great for sure, I guess size will be the main question mark. Nahlin compared him to Ben Burr-Kirven for PK's defense. Looks like coming out they were pretty much the exact same size: 

https://247sports.com/Player/Ben-Burr-Kirven-50041/high-school-84865/

Should be able to put on the 20-25 pounds pretty quickly in a college strength program. 

The future of the linebacker is someone that moves like a safety, and he definitely checks that box.  Great looking athlete.

This Murphy thing feels like a push for Murphy as a push at Ewers. They leaked that through Loy, Joseph was just there. Why else would he all of a sudden drop a cb and update? He wasn’t at Pylon, he would have brought it up if he was. How the staff handles this timing will be a pretty good indicator of their potential as recruiters.
I hope they either flip Ewers this weekend, or move on and press Murphy if Ewers sticks. As others have said, Murphy likely comes with Williams, and others unknown. I wonder how solid Domani Jackson is to Todd Orlando and crew?

Horns 247 / Nick Harris / Sources: Five-star QB Maalik Murphy expected to visit Texas next week

Spoiler

Sources: Five-star QB Maalik Murphy expected to visit Texas next week

NickHarris

Sources have confirmed to 247Sports that Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra five-star quarterback Maalik Murphy will go on a self-guided visit to Texas next Monday, Feb. 15.

Since coming on staff as head coach, Steve Sarkisian has keyed in on Murphy as the top quarterback target using his west coast ties which has resulted in a massive amount of interest from the five-star signal-caller out west. Texas has gained considerable ground on regional PAC-12 schools such as UCLA, Oregon and Stanford.

With the NCAA dead period still in effect, Murphy will not be allowed to have any contact with coaches while on campus, but he will be able to tour the campus and see the city of Austin.

At 6-foot-4.5, 225 pounds, Murphy has drawn comparisons to Cam Newton and is routinely coined as "Baby Cam" out west. Murphy has not played since 2019 due to California canceling high school sports in the fall, but stellar camp performances in the summer and fall have put Murphy on the map as one of the top quarterbacks in the country for the 2022 class.

Murphy is the No. 30 ranked recruit in the country for the class of 2022, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 2 ranked pro-style quarterback in the country and the No. 4 ranked recruit in the state of California.

247Sports' National Recruiting Analyst Greg Biggins compares Murphy to the New Orleans Saints' Jameis Winston in the following evaluation:

"Possesses a ton of raw upside and as high a ceiling as any quarterback in the region, regardless of class. Has lacked ideal production through first two years but
has every tool you could want in an elite quarterback and has shined in multiple off season events. He has plus size and arm strength, is accurate to all three levels of the field, is a smart kid who understands timing and anticipation and when to take a little off his throws. Can already throw the football 70+ down the field but is more then just a big arm, he knows how to play the position. He’s mobile and is comfortable throwing outside the pocket, is a highly competitive kid, a natural leader with a great off the field work ethic. Projects as an impact upper tier Power 5 starter and future high round NFL draft pick."

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Sounds like Ewers has been given a deadline.

Things are going to get interesting around here either way... will be real curious how Ewers take it knowing that his childhood favorite can go get another 5 star QB and will move on without him.  Is he prepared to move to OSU without many of the other Texas kids he plays with? If UT inks a different 5 star QB, many kids on O will treat Murphy as a capable substitute and not look at this cycle as a potential problem of no arm talent to lead them...

Fuck it’s awesome to be saying we are giving on 5 star QB a deadline because a second 5 star is looking to commit....

• Hook 'Em 7

I fully believe that you get the best QB every year that you can, especially since you have no idea who will stay and how they'll look when they get to campus. I am interested in what the ripples are, like who will follow him, who he's able to recruit, etc. Obviously Gerry is supposed to be biased towards the Texas recruits but he framed the position as it should be if not Ewers, Klubnik. Basically I just hope this isn't a situation where the Texas high school coaches get pissy and say that Sark doesn't care about taking Texas kids from the jump like what Strong dealt with (obviously not his biggest failing) and put us at any sort of disadvantage. 

/Satya

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Teryor said:

I fully believe that you get the best QB every year that you can, especially since you have no idea who will stay and how they'll look when they get to campus. I am interested in what the ripples are, like who will follow him, who he's able to recruit, etc. Obviously Gerry is supposed to be biased towards the Texas recruits but he framed the position as it should be if not Ewers, Klubnik. Basically I just hope this isn't a situation where the Texas high school coaches get pissy and say that Sark doesn't care about taking Texas kids from the jump like what Strong dealt with (obviously not his biggest failing) and put us at any sort of disadvantage. 

/Satya

This is part of Gerry's concern; the other is that he has no real game tape to speak of

28 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

If we take Murphy now and Ewers gets cold feet at the last moment then it's a whole lot easier to cut bait with a Cali QB with limited game reps then it would be to cut loose a state champion QB in our backyard who happens coached by an alum. 

We're not going to cut a 5-star loose for a recruit who should be a class leader getting last minute cold feet.

It's a deadline.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Teryor said:

/Satya

I get it, but scared money don’t make money. We can debate the riskiness of taking a player with so few live reps but Sark better not take a player he evaluates as worse to appease Texas High school coaches or because he needs help with recruiting. He has a staff of well paid coaches to recruit, he doesn’t need Westlake’s qb to do it for them. Surely they can sell a 5 star qb from CA with a cannon for an arm to OL and skill players around TX.

Also, it took Jimbo what, 3 classes to take a Texas high school qb? And that was basically because he was the last option available. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We're not going to cut a 5-star loose for a recruit who should be a class leader getting last minute cold feet.

It's a deadline.

Didn't say we would for sure but that it would be easier. Especially if he fails to put up any other meaningful tape. 

10 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

They're not gonna cut him loose but they still might take Ewers's commitment. 

Biggest hurdle to this is the lack of a backup position for Murphy like both Card and Jackson had. 

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Hau Pham said:

They get much snow out there in SoCal? It’s supposed to snow on Feb 15th around when he’d be on campus. A snow photo-op in our white uniforms might pique his interest. Recruits seem to love the “icy-whites,” and I can’t imagine having actual snow and ice outside would do much to change that.

Hell yeah

dyc06utne10jpg.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’ve been on the fence on taking Murphy now, solely because it’s shutting the door on Ewers. We can talk all we want about recruiting Ewers through the whistle but how long before that pisses off Murphy and we end up with neither? If we take Murphy, we close the door on Ewers and we still target Klubnik or Hoover as the second QB take

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, utexas8 said:

How is Murphy a 5 star with not a lot of tape?

Unbelievable raw tools. No katfid but he reminds me a lot of Jameis Winston with his arm motion. He has some shit to clean up for sure but if you trust your development and have a guy like Card or Thompson to stick him behind for 3ish years...I totally get it. Easily my second favorite QB prospect in this class and the second highest upside as well, my only problem with it is he’s not the first

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Unbelievable raw tools. No katfid but he reminds me a lot of Jameis Winston with his arm motion. He has some shit to clean up for sure but if you trust your development and have a guy like Card or Thompson to stick him behind for 3ish years...I totally get it. Easily my second favorite QB prospect in this class and the second highest upside as well, my only problem with it is he’s not the first

This was Biggins' eval - the same Winston comp. (I thought Winston was a more polished passer, coming out of high school ... )

image.thumb.png.b18322a6d10641c50fb53837c56be370.png

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting