Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Harris: Bryan Allen Jr. Looking Forward to Visiting Texas Among Others

Spoiler

After a recent decommitment from LSU, Aledo four-star safety Bryan Allen Jr. has fielded calls from just about every major program in the region.

Among the schools that have initiated contact, Texas has been one in heavy pursuit as newly-hired safeties coach Blake Gideon has made Allen a priority since being hired in January.

"We have a good relationship," Allen said. "I actually got off the phone with Coach Gideon last night. I can tell he's not gonna give up on recruiting me. He was trying to get me on the phone with Coach Sark so I can meet him. It's gonna be great (at Texas), I can tell already."

Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Georgia, Alabama, Kansas State and Texas Tech are among the schools that have been in heavy contact since Allen has re-opened his recruitment, and the Aggies are one that has made their way to the top of the pack due to his relationship with defensive analyst Ishmael Aristide.

"It's good with Texas A&M," he said. "But we haven't talked since my recruitment started over. I have a good relationship though with Coach Ish. He's a great person and I like his personality."

With this new approach in his recruitment, Allen is looking to take everything slow and commit when the time is right with a little under a year before the February signing period.

"I'm just looking right now," he said. "I still have another year so I'm just looking around."

When it comes to what he's looking for in a school, Allen just wants to win games at the next level and compete for championships at the highest level of college football.

"I'm just looking somewhere to win games and go to the championship, really," he said.

When visits open back up, Allen plans to get out to Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Georgia. Allen also mentioned that LSU is no longer in the running moving forward.

At 6-foot-0, 180 pounds, Allen is the No. 71 ranked recruit in the country for the class of 2022, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 5 safety in the country and the No. 13 recruit in the state of Texas.

https://247sports.com/Player/Bryan-Allen-Jr-46053225/

• Hook 'Em 3

Super K (TFB) on CJ WIlliams

Spoiler

This past weekend, I stopped by to see Texas 2022 wide receiver target, CJ Williams (Mater Dei).

A few quick notes…

***Impressive young man. Extremely thoughtful, hard working and mature. Hard to see him not being successful at the next level. You get that kind of athleticism and add that work ethic and you have a formula for success.

***CJ is looking for a strong football program and a strong academic program. He has a number of schools recruiting him and hasn’t technically narrowed things down but just given what he’s looking for I feel like the profile he’s looking for is in schools like Texas, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Northwestern and USC. All five of which are recruiting him.

***Sark’s ties out on the west coast, again, add to players' trust in him. Sometimes guys outside of Texas feel like there may be some Texas bias once they arrive on campus. But CJ said he feels like Sark will have their best interest in mind.

***He’s hoping to take some visits in the fall. He already has plans to visit Ohio State and Notre Dame in April (assuming they open things up).

***Says Texas is a high priority visit. So, if things open up, that’s a visit you could see happen this spring.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

A lot of transfers are one and done types so schools can’t take too many of them otherwise they’ll thin out their roster. The transfers will definitely lead to less HS scholarships, but there’s a cap on how much more it can impact them. 

Transfers seem like a wash.  A transfer is a net zero on the total number of scholarships.  The 85 cap is often the controlling factor not the 25 counter - especially with wiggle room in how the 25 initial counter can be back-counted with early enrollment or forward-counted with gray/blue shirts.

Are there that many teams that can sign a completely full class without pushing out players from their roster?

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Transfers seem like a wash.  A transfer is a net zero on the total number of scholarships.  The 85 cap is often the controlling factor not the 25 counter - especially with wiggle room in how the 25 initial counter can be back-counted with early enrollment or forward-counted with gray/blue shirts.

Are there that many teams that can sign a completely full class without pushing out players from their roster?

Saban laughs at your 85 cap.

39 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

This past weekend, I stopped by to see Texas 2022 wide receiver target, CJ Williams (Mater Dei).

A few quick notes…

***Impressive young man. Extremely thoughtful, hard working and mature. Hard to see him not being successful at the next level. You get that kind of athleticism and add that work ethic and you have a formula for success.

***CJ is looking for a strong football program and a strong academic program. He has a number of schools recruiting him and hasn’t technically narrowed things down but just given what he’s looking for I feel like the profile he’s looking for is in schools like Texas, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Northwestern and USC. All five of which are recruiting him.

***Sark’s ties out on the west coast, again, add to players' trust in him. Sometimes guys outside of Texas feel like there may be some Texas bias once they arrive on campus. But CJ said he feels like Sark will have their best interest in mind.

***He’s hoping to take some visits in the fall. He already has plans to visit Ohio State and Notre Dame in April (assuming they open things up).

***Says Texas is a high priority visit. So, if things open up, that’s a visit you could see happen this spring.

Captain of the covet list. This recruitment gives me Bijan vibes. Won't be bought, concerned with relationships, smart kid from oos. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Transfers seem like a wash.  A transfer is a net zero on the total number of scholarships.  

I was about to post the same thing.  The school the transfer leaves isn't going to let that scholarship go unused.

1 hour ago, NoctambulantBrobdingnagian said:

Narrator: and inevitably fail

Anyone who didn’t pick up what a staged pic that was is naive as they can be. Worn down boots like he’s been a hard working everyday Texan (rather than the midget hillbilly douche that he really is) with laid back easygoing regular dude optics dedicated to making aggy relevant. Yeah, lol!

1 hour ago, destroya said:

But an incoming transfer will count against the 25 man counter. 

But my point was how often do teams hit 25 + wiggle numbers prior to hitting 85? 

I'm sure there are scenarios, but it's a rare occurence.  In general, teams are pushing kids off their current rosters to sign ~20 recruits.

57 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I remember Huff's commitment came out of nowhere and everyone was like "WHO?!?" Then film of him started to surface and people got really comfortable, really quickly. I don't know who was responsible for finding him, but that wasn't the way things were done in the Mack Brown era. Seemed like he wasn't a camp commit and the $9.95ers had no idea about him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, texifornia said:

giphy.gif

Yeah, Loy's a cut above the usual 9.95er chucklefucks. Still EXTREMELY fallible, but actually has some experience and professional pride.

I kind of like it if it ain't Ewers. The hope is we have a multi-year starter in either Thompson or Card. Could give Maalik time to develop a bit. This may also get Ewers's attention. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

I kind of like it if it ain't Ewers. The hope is we have a multi-year starter in either Thompson or Card. Could give Maalik time to develop a bit. This may also get Ewers's attention. 

Yeah assuming Thompson wins the job and Card doesn't leave, Card would crazily enough be a (3rd year) Freshman when the 2022s show up. So you probably assume Card starts for 2-4 years then hands it off to the 2022 or 2023 take. Makes it easier to take some risk this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

It’s going to suck for Ewers watching Murphy win a championship with Sark in Atx while he freezes his ass off in Columbus with busted looking women.

Eh, if we're there no reason to think OSU wont be right there in the CFP too. But yea beating them with him on the team would be fun.

12 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

Agreed, this class seems like the perfect time to take a longer developmental curve guy if Ewers isn't happening. Unless Klubnik is going to be a rainmaker in recruiting Dallas and Houston (seems unlikely) I'd push for Maalik.

9 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Yeah assuming Thompson wins the job and Card doesn't leave, Card would crazily enough be a (3rd year) Freshman when the 2022s show up. So you probably assume Card starts for 2-4 years then hands it off to the 2022 or 2023 take. Makes it easier to take some risk this year.

I think it is more about recruiting right now. I don't know what it going on evaluation wise but everyone is making it clear that recruits are looking for a strong TX QB to hope on board so they can follow. The question is who is that QB, outside of Ewers, that leads the way for us. Does Cade even more the needle with Houston and Dallas recruits? With the offensive talent in this state in 2022, do you take a risk of a lesser QB to lead in recruiting? I am guessing if they press for Maalik, they have some intel on what that does nationally for recruiting. Hopefully.

Edited by Dr. Teeth

46 minutes ago, texifornia said:

giphy.gif

Yeah, Loy's a cut above the usual 9.95er chucklefucks. Still EXTREMELY fallible, but actually has some experience and professional pride.

Interestingly, the UCLA board reaction is "LET'S WAIT TO HEAR FROM GREG BIGGINS" which is not the reaction you'd expect. I am with you on generally trusting Loy though as far as national 247 types.

10 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Interestingly, the UCLA board reaction is "LET'S WAIT TO HEAR FROM GREG BIGGINS" which is not the reaction you'd expect. I am with you on generally trusting Loy though as far as national 247 types.

Biggins and Huffman are the two West Coast analysts, meaning they aren't tied to a specific team (like Loy and Roach, for example). If Biggins/Huffman start reporting the same then it will be for sure happening.

1 minute ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Biggins and Huffman are the two West Coast analysts, meaning they aren't tied to a specific team (like Loy and Roach, for example). If Biggins/Huffman start reporting the same then it will be for sure happening.

That's fair, I was under the impression that Biggins wasn't that trustworthy which is why I was amused by it. Looking through his cb's, despite his percentage it does look like his picks come in within a week of commitments which feels pretty Roach-esque

Wish Murphy was here this past weekend with the weather we had. This weekend is suppose to be brutal. 

They get much snow out there in SoCal? It’s supposed to snow on Feb 15th around when he’d be on campus. A snow photo-op in our white uniforms might pique his interest. Recruits seem to love the “icy-whites,” and I can’t imagine having actual snow and ice outside would do much to change that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, The Ghost of Hau Pham said:

So, since Winfield announced his commitment on Tuesday, January 12th and Blue announced his commitment on Tuesday, February 2nd, when are we thinking Murphy announces? How about Tuesday, February 16th?

giphy.gif

I can't wait that long. How about tomorrow?

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

A few quick notes…

He seems to fit the mold of the previous staffs WR takes and we already havr Winfield.  Stewart, Thompson, and Coleman please.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

TFB ...

Johnson told our Super K he is close to making an announcement, we can confirm it will be a commitment.

The new staff has made Johnson a priority after he was re-offered on February 3rd. Should he join the 2022 class, he will be the second member on the defensive side of the ball, joining CB Jaylon Guilbeau.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

My buddy told me that this kid is about to blow up as far as recruitment.. great thing for Texas to get him into the fold early.

I'm thinking he'll end up being ranked similar to Blackwell.  In the 89-90 composite range.  Like you said, he's a stud and the type of LB's we should be going after.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting