Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

22 hours ago, golfclap said:

Bill O’Brien is a certified moron but under Saban’s coaches rehabilitation program he will appear capable. Not great, but capable - which is enormous leap for that idiot. 

As for Flood, Saban lost him and turned around and upgraded by hiring Doug Marrone. He might be a failed HC but he’s likely the best OL coach in all of football. 

Fuck the Brocks sideways but they will get to watch their teammates win a lot of football games. 

the issue is that "capable" is such a monumental step down from what they had on offense under Sark (he is a creative dude, and idk if BoB has a creative bone in his body) that it will makes him look even worse.

how worked up are you if you are Bryce Young, you see what Sark did with Mac Jones and got excited, now you have Bill fucking O'Brien calling your plays!

41 minutes ago, NoName said:

the issue is that "capable" is such a monumental step down from what they had on offense under Sark (he is a creative dude, and idk if BoB has a creative bone in his body) that it will makes him look even worse.

how worked up are you if you are Bryce Young, you see what Sark did with Mac Jones and got excited, now you have Bill fucking O'Brien calling your plays!

The real question is going to be with the number of skill players they are losing at QB, WR, and RB as well as 2 starters on the OL, are they going to be on upset watch vs Miami in the first game of the season.

New OL and OC in a young unit  as well as New DB coach vs a Miami team returning lots of talent will make it interesting. I will laugh my ass off if BOB starts his Bama redemption career off with a loss.

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

WR Evan Stewart, Frisco Liberty (2022): Other than Quinn Ewers, Stewart is the most important prospect for Texas in the 2022 class.

Stewart has backed off his recruitment in some ways while maintaining relationships with a handful of prospects. He’s a wild card of sorts; he could announce within the hour, or wait until the second NSD. Conventional wisdom says somewhere in between. Sooner rather than later is most likely from IT’s vantage.

"My recruitment has been on hold for a while," said Stewart. "I really haven't spoken to many schools (since the tweet), but my parents talk to a lot of coaches. The process has been a little overwhelming so I'm focusing on getting better at my craft. Need to work on my release and topping off my routes and breaks."

The possible, if not likely, five-star holds 35 offers from across the nation. At 6-foot, 175 pounds, Stewart has heard the NCAA could lift the dead period in mid-April. If so, Stewart is ready to see some schools.

"I definitely want to get out to UT, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and TCU," said Stewart. "I'd like to see Oregon, too."

Stewart's relationship with Quinn Ewers only adds to the intrigue of the sweepstakes. The Southlake Carroll five-star and Ohio State pledge has a bond with Stewart. When you're wanting to help build a class, it's good to know the local talent. That, added to the fact UT's new staff is recruiting at an aggressive pace, and they've got Stewart's full attention.

"I know that (UT's new staff) can put people in the league," Stewart said. "I know that they're going to develop me and run their offense smoothly. From the football side, that's all that matters."

NIL is a big deal to Stewart. We’ve written this since he emphasized it at the secret passing session last summer. TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, SnapChat; Stewart is keenly aware of his branding value and that’ll be a big factor in his final decision.

"It's major," said Stewart about the program he plays at and NIL. "It is major. It is a need."

DB Bryce Anderson, Beaumont West Brook (2022): At 5-foot-11, 190 pounds, the do-it-all athlete holds 40 offers including Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Texas A&M, and OU. Texas’ re-offer really caught his attention and has UT in the thick of things.

"I've been talking to Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Texas, and Texas A&M," said Anderson. "I'm hearing them out, see who is recruiting me the hardest, looking forward to hitting some campuses once Covid dies down. I want to see what type of defenses they run, and what their depth charts look like. It's really important to see these places. I want to learn about the academics, see the facilities, and learn more in-depth details about the programs."

Anderson’s cousin, Texas-ex PJ Locke, has told him about life at the University of Texas, and he has a good idea what UT can offer. Now it’s up to the coaches to make their pitch.

"I've been talking to Coach (Terry) Joseph, Coach (Blake) Gideon, and Coach Gideon actually played with some of my cousins," Anderson said. "They were talking about how hard he hits, and how much of a technician he is. I talk to Coach Joseph almost every day, We just got off the phone before I got here [Pylon 7 on 7 tournament].

You could see a decision from Anderson between now and the spring.

"(Texas) is actually recruiting me the hardest," said Anderson. "Me and my family have a virtual meeting with them tomorrow. Really looking forward to getting to Austin. I don't like the schools that go after everybody. (UT) has picked a few guys they really like and they're focusing their recruiting efforts on them. I like that."

Anderson states his timeline could be anytime between August 6th and early national signing day but we’d be surprised if he waited that long.

It’s Missouri for ’Westlake’

Add a new name to the re-offer list at defensive end in the 2022 class. Show-me State EDGE prospect D.J. Wesolak has become a top target for the Longhorn defensive staff after a call from DC Pete Kwiatkowski.

“Coach K, their defensive coordinator, said he loves everything about me. He thinks I can be the best pass rusher in the class. I already had an offer from Texas, but he (Kwiatkowski) reached out to me and said they still love me. He said that he and the D-line coach will be on me hard,” Wesolak told IT.

When asked about top schools right now, the 6-foot-5, 225-pounder said it’s difficult due to not being able to set foot on campuses.

“Right now, it’s difficult with Covid to tell who is in my top list of schools. Without question, Notre Dame, Alabama, Clemson, Texas, Oklahoma, Mizzou, Arizona State and Oregon would be there.”

#####

Percentages are a useful way to convey trends. Here are five recruitments we’re watching and how we see them right now.

Jason Llewellyn, TE, Aledo

The 6-foot-5, 242-pound three-sport athlete from Aledo grew up attending TCU football games with his parents being long time season ticket holders and his father having played LB for the Horned Frogs. There are Texas ties in the family, too, and this is a recruitment that is seemingly narrowing down to Texas vs. TCU. While Llewellyn would like to make visits before deciding, that doesn’t seem likely. The December graduate could decide this spring and is a recruitment Jeff Banks would like to make a statement on as the Longhorns have struggled at Aledo since Johnathan Gray committed way back when. Texas is hard-selling how TE’s are used in Sark’s offensive scheme.

Percentage: 50%

Kip Lewis, OLB, Carthage

The 6-foot-2, 205-pounder has quickly become one of the most coveted linebackers in the country with offers from all of the top regional schools. The offer list would be even bigger from a national perspective, but Lewis has told the Carthage coaching staff that he plans to stay close to home. When looking at Lewis’ school preferences after the initial wave of offers, his thought process was to play at Oklahoma, Texas A&M, or LSU. Where programs outside the top three can make up ground is recruiting his identical twin sister, who is considered a potential DI volleyball prospect.

Percentage: 15%

Bryce Anderson, DB, Beaumont West Brook

When word trickled out to IT that the 5-foot-11, 185-pound versatile and intelligent DB was going to back off his LSU verbal, Texas A&M was the team to beat. After Texas defensive backs coach Terry Joseph reached out to the Anderson circle, and was followed up by Steve Sarkisian and members of the defensive staff, the Longhorns ascended quickly. While Alabama and Stanford continue to pursue, this is shaping up as a Texas vs. Texas A&M battle with the scheme fit under Pete Kwiatkowski factoring in big here.

Percentage: 75%

Evan Stewart, WR, Frisco Liberty

This is a recruitment Texas “must win.” That doesn’t mean it will be easy as Alabama is all in on arguably the most explosive WR in the country in the class. Stewart has shot his commitment video in the last two weeks, and the trend continues to be toward Texas as long as the parents are on board. Oregon, Florida, and Georgia will be mentioned, but this recruitment is Texas vs. Alabama currently.

Percentage: 65%

Denver Harris, CB, North Shore

Harris is a kid that has always profiled to Texas, and UT appeals to the mom in a similar way it did to Vernon Broughton’s mom. Before football is even accounted for, UT has natural advantages of proximity, education, and networking. That said, the football pitch will have to uphold its end of the bargain. After Friday’s call, UT is striking the right chords.

Percentage: 80%

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Fud said:

Spoiler

Back on February 1st, we talked about the very real possibility of Texas landing 5-star quarterback Maalik Murphy (here):

This is going to be one to watch. I’ve spoken to a couple sources out west and both gave them the sense that Sark and Texas are going to be a very big player in this one.

Sark is tied in with Maalik’s camp and I was told that Maalik and a lot of the players and folks out west like and trust Sark. They see him as a West Coast guy which gives him credibility and after seeing what he’s done at Alabama, it only adds to that credibility.

I don’t want to get too far out in front of my skies here but everyone I’ve spoken to says that Texas will be a player in this recruitment.

This past weekend, I saw Maalik out in California at a Premium 7v7 tournament…

***Maalik is a sharp quarterback and a sharp young man. High academic young man and very gracious. He’s the kind of a leader you look for in a quarterback. He’s a very big fella. He’s a throwback to the 6’4ish type QBs.

***Murphy doesn’t have a formal top four but it seems Texas, Rutgers, Oregon and UCLA are currently the top group.

***Schiano and his staff at Rutgers are doing a really good job recruiting Maalik. As you know, Schiano had Rutgers rolling the first time he was there and they know landing a guy like Maalik would get them where they want to go a lot faster. While I still think it would be a tough pull for them, they are certainly trying and I can tell Maalik really likes those guys. I’d guess they may actually be Maalik’s favorite staff even if Rutgers isn’t necessarily his favorite school.

***UCLA is the hometown favorite. Maalik said if the folks close to him could choose, it would probably be UCLA given the proximity. He also grew up a Duck fan when Chip Kelly was at Oregon. So, there is a lot of admiration for Kelly who now heads up the program at UCLA. I know a lot of folks see him ending up at UCLA and that may be the case but I don’t get the sense from him that it’s a forgone conclusion. Obviously though, they are major contenders.

***Oregon is, as I said, his childhood dream school and he said he would love to visit there. My read was Oregon is going to suffer the dreaded fate of the “childhood dream school” curse.

***Texas has been in his recruitment for a while. He was offered initially by coach Beck. Maalik said that when coach Sark came in, Sark let Maalik know that his previous offer still stands and that he would be a target moving forward.

***Since that initial conversation with Sark, Maalik said Coach AJ Milwee has been his primary recruiter from Texas. Maalik said, “me and coach Milwee have been building a very good relationship. I like talking to him. He likes talking to me. I feel like we have a good vibe going. So, that’s a great thing being able to communicate and talk to the quarterback coach because that’s who you’re going to be with most”.

***Being here on the west coast, you get the real sense that the players here and the folks around them see Sark as a west coast guy and it gives him a leg up. Many of them have been around Sark when they were kids while Sark was at USC. Even though Sark’s stay at SC was brief, it came at a time when these current recruits were in late elementary school and into middle school, a time when they started going to camps. Maalik himself says he remembers being around Sark at a camp when Maalik was in elementary school.

***Speaking to Maalik off the record, I didn’t get the feeling like he has a decision made but I very much think Texas is in it.

***I think a visit to Texas would really help. And, I am told there is a chance he will be out in Texas at some point this month. So we will be following that.

***I think Maalik’s status within the recruiting world to go along with Jaydon Blue’s status, would be just the momentum Sark needs to get this 2022 rolling.

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

WR Evan Stewart, Frisco Liberty (2022): Other than Quinn Ewers, Stewart is the most important prospect for Texas in the 2022 class.

Stewart has backed off his recruitment in some ways while maintaining relationships with a handful of prospects. He’s a wild card of sorts; he could announce within the hour, or wait until the second NSD. Conventional wisdom says somewhere in between. Sooner rather than later is most likely from IT’s vantage.

"My recruitment has been on hold for a while," said Stewart. "I really haven't spoken to many schools (since the tweet), but my parents talk to a lot of coaches. The process has been a little overwhelming so I'm focusing on getting better at my craft. Need to work on my release and topping off my routes and breaks."

The possible, if not likely, five-star holds 35 offers from across the nation. At 6-foot, 175 pounds, Stewart has heard the NCAA could lift the dead period in mid-April. If so, Stewart is ready to see some schools.

"I definitely want to get out to UT, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and TCU," said Stewart. "I'd like to see Oregon, too."

Stewart's relationship with Quinn Ewers only adds to the intrigue of the sweepstakes. The Southlake Carroll five-star and Ohio State pledge has a bond with Stewart. When you're wanting to help build a class, it's good to know the local talent. That, added to the fact UT's new staff is recruiting at an aggressive pace, and they've got Stewart's full attention.

"I know that (UT's new staff) can put people in the league," Stewart said. "I know that they're going to develop me and run their offense smoothly. From the football side, that's all that matters."

NIL is a big deal to Stewart. We’ve written this since he emphasized it at the secret passing session last summer. TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, SnapChat; Stewart is keenly aware of his branding value and that’ll be a big factor in his final decision.

"It's major," said Stewart about the program he plays at and NIL. "It is major. It is a need."

DB Bryce Anderson, Beaumont West Brook (2022): At 5-foot-11, 190 pounds, the do-it-all athlete holds 40 offers including Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Texas A&M, and OU. Texas’ re-offer really caught his attention and has UT in the thick of things.

"I've been talking to Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Texas, and Texas A&M," said Anderson. "I'm hearing them out, see who is recruiting me the hardest, looking forward to hitting some campuses once Covid dies down. I want to see what type of defenses they run, and what their depth charts look like. It's really important to see these places. I want to learn about the academics, see the facilities, and learn more in-depth details about the programs."

Anderson’s cousin, Texas-ex PJ Locke, has told him about life at the University of Texas, and he has a good idea what UT can offer. Now it’s up to the coaches to make their pitch.

"I've been talking to Coach (Terry) Joseph, Coach (Blake) Gideon, and Coach Gideon actually played with some of my cousins," Anderson said. "They were talking about how hard he hits, and how much of a technician he is. I talk to Coach Joseph almost every day, We just got off the phone before I got here [Pylon 7 on 7 tournament].

"(Texas) is actually recruiting me the hardest," said Anderson. "Me and my family have a virtual meeting with them tomorrow. Really looking forward to getting to Austin. I don't like the schools that go after everybody. (UT) has picked a few guys they really like and they're focusing their recruiting efforts on them. I like that."

Anderson states his timeline could be anytime between August 6th and early national signing day but we’d be surprised if he waited that long.

Add a new name to the re-offer list at defensive end in the 2022 class. Show-me State EDGE prospect D.J. Wesolak has become a top target for the Longhorn defensive staff after a call from DC Pete Kwiatkowski.

“Coach K, their defensive coordinator, said he loves everything about me. He thinks I can be the best pass rusher in the class. I already had an offer from Texas, but he (Kwiatkowski) reached out to me and said they still love me. He said that he and the D-line coach will be on me hard,” Wesolak told IT.

When asked about top schools right now, the 6-foot-5, 225-pounder said it’s difficult due to not being able to set foot on campuses.

“Right now, it’s difficult with Covid to tell who is in my top list of schools. Without question, Notre Dame, Alabama, Clemson, Texas, Oklahoma, Mizzou, Arizona State and Oregon would be there.”

#####

Percentages are a useful way to convey trends. Here are five recruitments we’re watching and how we see them right now.

The 6-foot-5, 242-pound three-sport athlete from Aledo grew up attending TCU football games with his parents being long time season ticket holders and his father having played LB for the Horned Frogs. There are Texas ties in the family, too, and this is a recruitment that is seemingly narrowing down to Texas vs. TCU. While Llewellyn would like to make visits before deciding, that doesn’t seem likely. The December graduate could decide this spring and is a recruitment Jeff Banks would like to make a statement on as the Longhorns have struggled at Aledo since Johnathan Gray committed way back when. Texas is hard-selling how TE’s are used in Sark’s offensive scheme.

Kip Lewis, OLB, Carthage

The 6-foot-2, 205-pounder has quickly become one of the most coveted linebackers in the country with offers from all of the top regional schools. The offer list would be even bigger from a national perspective, but Lewis has told the Carthage coaching staff that he plans to stay close to home. When looking at Lewis’ school preferences after the initial wave of offers, his thought process was to play at Oklahoma, Texas A&M, or LSU. Where programs outside the top three can make up ground is recruiting his identical twin sister, who is considered a potential DI volleyball prospect.

When word trickled out to IT that the 5-foot-11, 185-pound versatile and intelligent DB was going to back off his LSU verbal, Texas A&M was the team to beat. After Texas defensive backs coach Terry Joseph reached out to the Anderson circle, and was followed up by Steve Sarkisian and members of the defensive staff, the Longhorns ascended quickly. While Alabama and Stanford continue to pursue, this is shaping up as a Texas vs. Texas A&M battle with the scheme fit under Pete Kwiatkowski factoring in big here.

This is a recruitment Texas “must win.” That doesn’t mean it will be easy as Alabama is all in on arguably the most explosive WR in the country in the class. Stewart has shot his commitment video in the last two weeks, and the trend continues to be toward Texas as long as the parents are on board. Oregon, Florida, and Georgia will be mentioned, but this recruitment is Texas vs. Alabama currently.

Harris is a kid that has always profiled to Texas, and UT appeals to the mom in a similar way it did to Vernon Broughton’s mom. Before football is even accounted for, UT has natural advantages of proximity, education, and networking. That said, the football pitch will have to uphold its end of the bargain. After Friday’s call, UT is striking the right chords.

What I've learned (and Internet seems to confirm) is that it's an *extremely* rare instance if Kip Lewis has an identical twin sister. Or the report is wrong.

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Machinator said:
  Hide contents

Back on February 1st, we talked about the very real possibility of Texas landing 5-star quarterback Maalik Murphy (here):

This is going to be one to watch. I’ve spoken to a couple sources out west and both gave them the sense that Sark and Texas are going to be a very big player in this one.

Sark is tied in with Maalik’s camp and I was told that Maalik and a lot of the players and folks out west like and trust Sark. They see him as a West Coast guy which gives him credibility and after seeing what he’s done at Alabama, it only adds to that credibility.

I don’t want to get too far out in front of my skies here but everyone I’ve spoken to says that Texas will be a player in this recruitment.

This past weekend, I saw Maalik out in California at a Premium 7v7 tournament…

***Maalik is a sharp quarterback and a sharp young man. High academic young man and very gracious. He’s the kind of a leader you look for in a quarterback. He’s a very big fella. He’s a throwback to the 6’4ish type QBs.

***Murphy doesn’t have a formal top four but it seems Texas, Rutgers, Oregon and UCLA are currently the top group.

***Schiano and his staff at Rutgers are doing a really good job recruiting Maalik. As you know, Schiano had Rutgers rolling the first time he was there and they know landing a guy like Maalik would get them where they want to go a lot faster. While I still think it would be a tough pull for them, they are certainly trying and I can tell Maalik really likes those guys. I’d guess they may actually be Maalik’s favorite staff even if Rutgers isn’t necessarily his favorite school.

***UCLA is the hometown favorite. Maalik said if the folks close to him could choose, it would probably be UCLA given the proximity. He also grew up a Duck fan when Chip Kelly was at Oregon. So, there is a lot of admiration for Kelly who now heads up the program at UCLA. I know a lot of folks see him ending up at UCLA and that may be the case but I don’t get the sense from him that it’s a forgone conclusion. Obviously though, they are major contenders.

***Oregon is, as I said, his childhood dream school and he said he would love to visit there. My read was Oregon is going to suffer the dreaded fate of the “childhood dream school” curse.

***Texas has been in his recruitment for a while. He was offered initially by coach Beck. Maalik said that when coach Sark came in, Sark let Maalik know that his previous offer still stands and that he would be a target moving forward.

***Since that initial conversation with Sark, Maalik said Coach AJ Milwee has been his primary recruiter from Texas. Maalik said, “me and coach Milwee have been building a very good relationship. I like talking to him. He likes talking to me. I feel like we have a good vibe going. So, that’s a great thing being able to communicate and talk to the quarterback coach because that’s who you’re going to be with most”.

***Being here on the west coast, you get the real sense that the players here and the folks around them see Sark as a west coast guy and it gives him a leg up. Many of them have been around Sark when they were kids while Sark was at USC. Even though Sark’s stay at SC was brief, it came at a time when these current recruits were in late elementary school and into middle school, a time when they started going to camps. Maalik himself says he remembers being around Sark at a camp when Maalik was in elementary school.

***Speaking to Maalik off the record, I didn’t get the feeling like he has a decision made but I very much think Texas is in it.

***I think a visit to Texas would really help. And, I am told there is a chance he will be out in Texas at some point this month. So we will be following that.

***I think Maalik’s status within the recruiting world to go along with Jaydon Blue’s status, would be just the momentum Sark needs to get this 2022 rolling.

Ok put me in the pro-Murphy camp. Ewers #1, Murphy or Klubnik are great backups. 

Risky QB takes aren't quite as risky in modern CFB. Sark gets the offense humming and we'll be competitive for transfer options. There isn't always a Justin Fields available, but there's usually a JT Daniels, D'Eriq King, Jalen Hurts, Tathan Martell, or Shane Buechele. 

Horns 247 / Nick Harris / Bryce Anderson dishes on his relationship with Texas

Spoiler

Bryce Anderson dishes on his relationship with Texas

NickHarris

CARROLLTON, Texas — Now that the 2021 class is signed and sealed, all of the attention in the Texas recruiting department is shifting towards a talented in-state 2022 group as the Longhorns look to build momentum that Oklahoma and Texas A&M has already seen in the class.

Beaumont West Brook four-star safety Bryce Anderson, a recent decommit from LSU, has emerged as a top target for just about every major program in the region after re-opening his recruitment.

"I've been talking to Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech," Anderson said. "I'm just hearing them out, see who's recruiting me the hardest and hopefully I can get out on some visits to see their defenses. I'm also looking at everyone that's returning and leaving at defensive back, stuff like that."

With visits expected to open back up at the expiration of the NCAA dead period on April 15, Anderson is looking forward to seeing his top schools with a new perspective now that he is back on the market.

"It's very important because last time I went to those schools, I wasn't planning on committing or anything," he said. "I was just going to visit and see some games, but now I'm going to see the facility, the academics and look at stuff more in detail."

With Texas, Anderson has been in contact with safeties coach Blake Gideon and cornerbacks coach Terry Joseph who have both been aggressive in recruiting him, even before his decommitment last week.

"I've been talking to Coach Joseph and Coach Gideon," he said. "Coach Gideon actually played with some of my cousins and they mentioned how much of a hard worker he is and how much of a technician he is. Coach Joseph calls me every day and checks in on me every day, I just got off the phone with him actually." Anderson is cousins with former West Orange-Stark product and former Texas cornerback Deon Beasley. He is also cousins with recent 2022 commit Jaydon Blue.

Texas has made a really big impression early in the re-opening of his recruitment as they have put themselves in a solid position moving forward.

"They're actually recruiting me the hardest right now," Anderson said. "Me and my family have a virtual Zoom soon and I look forward to getting down there."

Anderson is in no rush to shut down his recruitment again and is aiming to decide anywhere between August 6 and the Under Armour All-American Game. Anderson told 247Sports' Steve Wiltfong that he plans to make his decision at the All-American Game if possible.

The biggest competition in Anderson's recruitment is Texas A&M as the Aggies have made a big push in recent weeks. Clemson, Ohio State and Alabama remain heavy contenders as well.

At 5-foot-11, 187 pounds, Anderson is the No. 66 recruit in the country, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 4 safety in the country and the No. 12 recruit in the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

(Gerry Hamilton) IT Recruiting Matters: Buckle up for the 10 biggest recruiting battles of 2022

Steve Sarkisian and staff have stepped into Texas with the recruiting landscape as difficult as it has ever been in my 20 years in the business. That means there is very little margin for error on the recruiting trail in terms of strategy and on the field in season one. With Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Georgia, Clemson, USC and Texas A&M all vying to pull the best out of the Lone Star State, there will be some epic recruiting battles in the 2022 class. Here is a look at 10 battles that have my full attention.

1. Quinn Ewers, QB Southlake Carroll
The Ohio State verbal remains the top battle until he tells Steve Sarkisian 'no thank you,' or informs Ryan Day he is following his heart back to where his recruitment began. This recruitment impacts the construction of the Texas 2022 class, but it can’t go on for a long period of time as the Texas staff needs to begin creating ideal momentum within the fierce competition for top prospects in the state.

The battle: Texas vs. Ohio State

2. Bear Alexander, DT, Denton Ryan
The commitment of Alexander to Georgia simply provided a target for Texas A&M, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma and Ohio State. That was all the motivation the in-state powers needed to try and flip the near 6-foot-4, 325-pounder from the SEC East power. And Nick Saban would also like to beat his old DC on a top defensive line prospect in the Lone Star State. Don't underestimate how much the Longhorns covet Alexander.

The Battle: Georgia vs. Texas A&M, Texas and Alabama

3. Evan Stewart, WR, Frisco Liberty
This is set up as a battle between Nick Saban and Steve Sarkisian, the coach that helped put together a dominant offense in Tuscaloosa, with the stakes extremely high for the Longhorns. While Stewart is not a traditional in-state prospect having grown up in the Memphis area until junior high, this is a “must win’ for the new Texas staff.

The Battle: Texas vs. Alabama

4. Harold Perkins, OLB, Cy Park
This one doesn’t feature the Longhorns as much right now, but this will be a very entertaining battle to follow. Texas A&M is absolutely all in and using the close friendships of Perkins with Houston area Texas A&M commits Donovan Green and P.J. Williams. Perkins grew up loving LSU, and his father still lives in New Orleans. Nick Saban would like nothing more than to beat Texas A&M and LSU on a Houston area prospect. Tim Brewster has Florida in it, but as a long shot. Texas and Oklahoma are on the peripheral, for now.

The Battle: Texas A&M vs. Alabama and LSU

5. Omari Abor, DE, Duncanville
The 6-foot-4, 240-pounder has family connections to Oklahoma and a love for Chase Young and Ohio State, but Jeff Banks and the Texas staff are all in. That makes for a fun recruiting battle to follow on I-20. Bad news for the Sooners and Longhorns is that the Buckeyes are Abor's current favorite.

The Battle: Texas vs. Oklahoma and Ohio State

6. Denver Harris, CB, North Shore
Inside Texas has always believed that Harris profiles as a prospect that picks Texas. That has not changed. While North Shore has been a great school for LSU for years, the Tigers aren’t going to end up being the main competition. Alabama and Texas A&M will be. While there is a thought that the Aggies won’t end up being in the final two, momentum and on field success can’t be swept under the rug yet.

The Battle: Texas v. Alabama and Texas A&M

7. Neto Umeozulu, OT/G, Allen High
The latest OL prospect with a NFL ceiling is wanted by all the power players that recruit the Lone Star State. Oklahoma has owned Allen of late, and should with the success of Kyler Murray and Bobby Evans. Alabama, Texas A&M, Texas and about every other top flight program has the devastating run blocker high on the board. If Texas is truly to flex some recruiting muscle in the 2022 cycle, this would be the prospect that would raise eyebrows.

The Battle: Texas vs. everyone

8. Kelvin Banks, OT, Summer Creek
The 6-foot-5, 300-pounder with an 81-inch wingspan is a wanted prospect by LSU, Texas A&M, Texas and many others. This recruitment has see-sawed since the Oklahoma State decommit and is now getting serious. Texas A&M is working the dominant start to 2022 in the Houston area, while Texas is putting in a strong effort with the new staff. LSU was sitting in the pole position during the last half of the season.

The battle: Texas vs. Texas A&M and LSU

9. Kam Dewberry, OG/T, Atascocita
Texas A&M wants to completely dominate the competition in the Houston area. The new Texas staff does not want to lose out on Banks and Dewberry, and provide even more H-Town momentum for the Aggies. Oklahoma would like to punch both and win out. Dewberry could punk all those closer to home and head to Columbus too.

The battle: Texas vs. Texas A&M and Oklahoma

10. Bryce Anderson, DB, Beaumont West Brook
Texas is ascending with the new staff and focusing on Anderson being a key part of the 2022 class. With that said, make no mistake that Texas A&M wants Anderson in their class just as badly. There have been some terrific battles between the Aggies and Longhorns over the years in the Golden Triangle, and this is the latest.

The battle: Texas vs. Texas A&M

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Nick Harris / Bryce Anderson dishes on his relationship with Texas

Hide contents

Bryce Anderson dishes on his relationship with Texas

NickHarris

CARROLLTON, Texas — Now that the 2021 class is signed and sealed, all of the attention in the Texas recruiting department is shifting towards a talented in-state 2022 group as the Longhorns look to build momentum that Oklahoma and Texas A&M has already seen in the class.

Beaumont West Brook four-star safety Bryce Anderson, a recent decommit from LSU, has emerged as a top target for just about every major program in the region after re-opening his recruitment.

"I've been talking to Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech," Anderson said. "I'm just hearing them out, see who's recruiting me the hardest and hopefully I can get out on some visits to see their defenses. I'm also looking at everyone that's returning and leaving at defensive back, stuff like that."

With visits expected to open back up at the expiration of the NCAA dead period on April 15, Anderson is looking forward to seeing his top schools with a new perspective now that he is back on the market.

"It's very important because last time I went to those schools, I wasn't planning on committing or anything," he said. "I was just going to visit and see some games, but now I'm going to see the facility, the academics and look at stuff more in detail."

With Texas, Anderson has been in contact with safeties coach Blake Gideon and cornerbacks coach Terry Joseph who have both been aggressive in recruiting him, even before his decommitment last week.

"I've been talking to Coach Joseph and Coach Gideon," he said. "Coach Gideon actually played with some of my cousins and they mentioned how much of a hard worker he is and how much of a technician he is. Coach Joseph calls me every day and checks in on me every day, I just got off the phone with him actually." Anderson is cousins with former West Orange-Stark product and former Texas cornerback Deon Beasley. He is also cousins with recent 2022 commit Jaydon Blue.

Texas has made a really big impression early in the re-opening of his recruitment as they have put themselves in a solid position moving forward.

"They're actually recruiting me the hardest right now," Anderson said. "Me and my family have a virtual Zoom soon and I look forward to getting down there."

Anderson is in no rush to shut down his recruitment again and is aiming to decide anywhere between August 6 and the Under Armour All-American Game. Anderson told 247Sports' Steve Wiltfong that he plans to make his decision at the All-American Game if possible.

The biggest competition in Anderson's recruitment is Texas A&M as the Aggies have made a big push in recent weeks. Clemson, Ohio State and Alabama remain heavy contenders as well.

At 5-foot-11, 187 pounds, Anderson is the No. 66 recruit in the country, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 4 safety in the country and the No. 12 recruit in the state of Texas.

There's always a cousin.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, tokamak said:

That is a bizarre top 4 for Murphy. Rutgers? Really?

His top schools make me wonder if all his offers are committable. He has offers from every school in the country and I have a hard time believing those would be his top schools if they all were, but as everything else with him, who knows?

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

That is a bizarre top 4 for Murphy. Rutgers? Really?

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

His top schools make me wonder if all his offers are committable. He has offers from every school in the country and I have a hard time believing those would be his top schools if they all were, but as everything else with him, who knows?

His mom works at the UCLA hospital on campus, so that makes sense to me. I’ve got nothing for you on the Rutgers thing though. 

I’ve said it on here before, but I’ll say again that I’m a Rutgers fan. I don’t expect Rutgers to get Maalik, but the blurb about him loving Schiano’s staff isn’t surprising. Rutgers won’t get great prospects like Maalik/Keon Sabb/Jacob Allen until they have an experienced roster that goes about 8-4, but Schiano is building along the LOS quickly. He also has built the special teams up quickly to hang with teams with much more talent. 

This has probably been discussed but I cant be arsed to go back and look..

But with actual visits not happening at the moment, surely we have GA's with 4k GoPro's walking through every possible building a recruit could want to check out? Also need drone footage of everything by air, and not just the stuff already online. Oh, and some decent music and voiceover by Sark (or someone) would be aces as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

His mom works at the UCLA hospital on campus, so that makes sense to me. I’ve got nothing for you on the Rutgers thing though. 

Rutgers smacks of someone close to him with ties there - so on his list as a favor. If you are that highly rated and you pick Rutgers out of your whole list while being from SoCal...you are either not very bright or

Catering To Go GIF by Zaxby's

24 minutes ago, ousux said:

This has probably been discussed but I cant be arsed to go back and look..

But with actual visits not happening at the moment, surely we have GA's with 4k GoPro's walking through every possible building a recruit could want to check out? Also need drone footage of everything by air, and not just the stuff already online. Oh, and some decent music and voiceover by Sark (or someone) would be aces as well.

this seems like a huge opportunity for big schools to spend money in a way that matters

but we haven't seen anything leaked from anyone around this so.............

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Rutgers smacks of someone close to him with ties there - so on his list as a favor. If you are that highly rated and you pick Rutgers out of your whole list while being from SoCal...you are either not very bright or

Catering To Go GIF by Zaxby's

or... many of the more highly regarded offers he has aren't yet commit-able.

(Super K - TFB) Bryce Anderson | The Latest Following his Decommitment

Spoiler

The new Texas staff are going all in on 2022 4-star DB Bryce Anderson (West Brook). I spoke with Anderson following his decommitment from LSU.

***On the reasons he originally committed to LSU, Bryce said they were recruiting him and his family hard, they were his childhood favorite school and they were close to home.

***Obviously a ton of staff turnover at LSU and he felt it was best to open things up.

***Schools recruiting him the hardest: Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, Texas and TAMU. I get the sense that is his top five. So, Texas is going to have to beat the big boys for Bryce.

***I do get the sense that he’d prefer to play closer to home. I don’t think that will keep him from going to a Bama or Clemson but if he feels like he can get what he needs at TAMU or Texas, I believe proximity to home will help.

***Texas is actually recruiting Bryce as a cornerback. He said he’s open to playing any position but prefers corner. He certainly has the speed to play the position.

***Says that Terry Joseph has been recruiting him hard. In fact, when I spoke with him, he had had recent calls with both coach Joseph and coach Sark. But, he tells me he and coach Joseph communicate almost every day.

***He does have a family tie to Texas. Bryce mentioned that former  Texas DB, PJ Locke is his cousin.

***Wants to commit to a school on either August 6th or at the All American game.

***He also added that he wants to visit all five of previously mentioned schools (Bama, Ohio State, Texas, TAMU, and Clemson) before making a decision. He said he’d also like to visit UGA.

***In terms of what it’s going to take to win his commitment, “Recruiting me and my family the hardest”. He feels he can make it the league from any of the schools he’s considering so it’s going to come down to relationships. He also said he’s looking for a coach he can trust. 

***The deal breaker for him is going to be “coaching changes”. Again, he seems to be emphasizing his connection with a staff on a personal level.

My Early Take

***Bryce is definitely mature enough to go to a school farther away but, as I said, I still think proximity to home is going to matter.

***I get the sense he already likes Terry Joseph.

***It’s early but if I were ranking them at this point, I’d put Texas in a pole position. You can bet Jaydon Blue is going to be recruiting Bryce and that could help.

• Hook 'Em 1

I get why people point out PJ Locke as a connection, as it’s a fact. But are we sure it’s a positive in this instance? Luke Brockermeyer certainly didn’t help and Locke didn’t exactly play when texas was successful or without dysfunction. Hope he fucked a new sorority girl every week and loves his degree. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I get why people point out PJ Locke as a connection, as it’s a fact. But are we sure it’s a positive in this instance? Luke Brockermeyer certainly didn’t help and Locke didn’t exactly play when texas was successful or without dysfunction. Hope he fucked a new sorority girl every week and loves his degree. 

You're right, but haven't seen anything suggesting it could be a negative. His twitter has tons of pro-Texas tweet too. 

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

#####

Kip Lewis, OLB, Carthage

80% for Denver Harris seems like a bold prediction. I hope they know something there

• Like 1

The dysfunction was due to Herman. Since he’s gone I think it betters our chances.

46 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I guess there’s no way of knowing for sure, but Locke was a pretty good soldier when he was here. Committed to us even though he was an obvious last second backup plan and was never bitter about it. Doesn’t have a history of talking down about the program like some others, still has “university of Texas alum” on his twitter bio even though he’s in the NFL now, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

I guess there’s no way of knowing for sure, but Locke was a pretty good soldier when he was here. Committed to us even though he was an obvious last second backup plan and was never bitter about it. Doesn’t have a history of talking down about the program like some others, still has “university of Texas alum” on his twitter bio even though he’s in the NFL now, etc.

Yeah, I get it. My question is more broad in nature. There were a lot of guys who’ve managed to stake out at least a short nfl career as undrafted FA’s from Texas. So obviously talent wasnt the issue, but development. So if they’re not pimping that about Texas, what are they? There’s a genuine chance it could be education or, Carl be damned, women. I’m just curious if anyone knows more. 

9 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

The real question is going to be with the number of skill players they are losing at QB, WR, and RB as well as 2 starters on the OL, are they going to be on upset watch vs Miami in the first game of the season.

New OL and OC in a young unit  as well as New DB coach vs a Miami team returning lots of talent will make it interesting. I will laugh my ass off if BOB starts his Bama redemption career off with a loss.

I do not like bama or the hold they have on college football but there ain’t a chance in hell they lose to Miami lol. I would love that though to be honest. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting