Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

38 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Our only CB recruit needs to tread lightly? Because we are in a position to pull his scholarship when we don't clearly lead for any of our other targets?

No, but if we get 3 other committed while he is looking around, then the calculus changes. At that point, the coaches have control. Alabama does this continuously (and goes beyond that and trapdoors). We aren't to that point, but after June, I think ships are going to be pretty tight. There are some quality DBs in the portal as well and we may not want to load up on freshmen corners. But, hopefully, none of this comes into being and golfclap is able to convince Joseph to get off his ass and save the cornerback class.

No, but if we get 3 other committed while he is looking around, then the calculus changes. At that point, the coaches have control. Alabama does this continuously (and goes beyond that and trapdoors). We aren't to that point, but after June, I think ships are going to be pretty tight. There are some quality DBs in the portal as well and we may not want to load up on freshmen corners. But, hopefully, none of this comes into being and golfclap is able to convince Joseph to get off his ass and save the cornerback class.

We like to indulge this hypothetical every year but way more often than not we don’t land everyone on the board. In fact, we don’t come close to it. It almost never happens. We are not in a position to tell a top-150 dude that if he wants to take visits then we are looking elsewhere.

Roach

Spoiler

— I spoke with new Texas offer and Dewitt (MI.) WR/TE Tommy McIntosh today. While this looked like a midwest battle for the developmental tight end prospect. McIntosh already has official visits set for Wisconsin, Iowa and Indiana, but the Texas offer really caught his attention. McIntosh can't free up a June weekend for an official visit to Austin with his current schedule, but he is close to locking down dates for a mid-week unofficial at some point. He'd like to check out Austin this summer and possibly return later for an official trip. July was the original date for his expected announcement, but it sounds like that could change. McIntosh said that with new offers coming in he will have to take his time with the process. Iowa and Wisconsin are probably the front runners at the moment, but Texas has a chance to turn the tide.

32 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Roach

Hide contents

— I spoke with new Texas offer and Dewitt (MI.) WR/TE Tommy McIntosh today. While this looked like a midwest battle for the developmental tight end prospect. McIntosh already has official visits set for Wisconsin, Iowa and Indiana, but the Texas offer really caught his attention. McIntosh can't free up a June weekend for an official visit to Austin with his current schedule, but he is close to locking down dates for a mid-week unofficial at some point. He'd like to check out Austin this summer and possibly return later for an official trip. July was the original date for his expected announcement, but it sounds like that could change. McIntosh said that with new offers coming in he will have to take his time with the process. Iowa and Wisconsin are probably the front runners at the moment, but Texas has a chance to turn the tide.

Ah yes, perennial Texas foes Iowa and Wisconsin. 

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

There aren't many things that I have less interest in listening to than those two discussing Blue opting out of his senior year 

I have my own thoughts... but I'm more confident they're wrong than I am right, so I might need to listen just to solidify what my thoughts shouldn't be

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So, anyone got anything on this KJ Miles item? Is it worth asking around on him or is this a hat-on-the-table thing out of the blue before he chooses the other school actually recruiting him? 

I wish I could remember which site it was, but one of the 9.95ers recently said we were recruiting him harder than most sites were reporting and there is mutual interest.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So, anyone got anything on this KJ Miles item? Is it worth asking around on him or is this a hat-on-the-table thing out of the blue before he chooses the other school actually recruiting him? 

image.png.677272a5b29205962fd735483a652aca.png

Badger guy doesn't seem overly confident.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

From a week ago:

(Evan Flood) KJ Miles sets three official visits

Spoiler

Down to seven schools, Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peter's Prep defensive tackle KJ Miles will see three of his finalists in June. Setting three official visits, Miles will get out to Georgia Tech (June 11), Wisconsin (June 17), and Texas (June 25) next month.

Georgia Tech: "The whole staff and I have an amazing relationship. Coach Knight (Larry Knight) and I have been speaking for a year and a half now. He had his eye on me before I ever blew up. I also like the education and the city of Atlanta. Many opportunities out there, not just for football, but businesses and jobs."

Texas: "Stark (Steve Sarkisian) is there. Bo Davis is there. We all have a great relationship. They call it the silicon valley of the south. I like the campus. It's nice. The players are nice. The energy I'm getting off them from all the virtual visits, they seem pretty cool and down to earth."

Wisconsin: "Coach Ross (Ross Kolodziej), coach Saeed (Saeed Khalif), and the head coach (Paul Chryst), we talk all the time. Coach Saeed, being from New Jersey, he's really the man. I'm not gonna lie. He's a really good dude. They don't just try and sell the program. They're not salesmen. They talk to me as a normal person. Don't get me wrong, we get into the conversations about football, but I really like them a lot. The campus and where Wisconsin is, it's a great place."

Miles has a top seven of Wisconsin, Georgia, Texas, Penn State, Georiga Tech, USC, and Virginia. He held other offers from the likes of Michigan, Alabama, Florida State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M.

Chryst and Kolodziej want to use the four-star prospect all over the line. With potentially three members of their defensive line leaving after the 2021 season, including the top two nose guards, Miles could see the field early in UW's 3-4 defense.

"They tell me I have the potential to play early," said Miles. "Nothing is guaranteed, but they said if I work hard enough, I can play early. I'm a key part of the program. They need a guy like me who's versatile. They want to play me at the 3-tech, d-end, and nose guard too.

"They tell me I'm their number one guy in that role and I'm the dude they're looking for."

Heading into his official visit, Miles has already gotten a good feel for UW and the city of Madison during his virtual tour.

"They showed me that they're a top contender academically for business, top seven in the nation," he said. "That means a lot. The campus is nice. Everything seems really close. The dorms are right across from the stadium and that's where all the training stuff is too. It's also a family there."

Miles plans to stick with his seven finalists and isn't entertaining any other potential offers that may come his way. The 247sports composite's No. 30 ranked defensive tackle may not use all five official visits and could commit in June or July.

"I'm probably going to save them for later on in case I need to use one more or whatever the case may be," said. "I'm gonna do these three, see how they go, and then see if I even need to use them.

"The ability to make me the best player possible and education -- that's what I feel like it's going to come down to."

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Someone had him crystal balled to aggy at one point and they weren't in his top group recently.  May be recruitment the $9.95ers don't know much about.

Most likely but these were put in last week according to the dates. If they weren't recent I wouldn't have even took a screenshot of those predictions.

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I wish I could remember which site it was, but one of the 9.95ers recently said we were recruiting him harder than most sites were reporting and there is mutual interest.

On 5/20/2021 at 6:28 PM, Machinator said:

Mike at Night: More on Blue, new out of state DL name to watch

Hide contents

— The big news of the day is that Jaydon Blue will opt out of his senior season at Klein Cain. Sources near Blue alerted us to the possibility early in the day but asked us to hold off as Blue wanted to make the announcement. Blue had a lot of carries over the last few years and sat out for some of spring practice to try and maintain his body. I was told he and his family came to the decision for him to get healthy before moving on to the next level. Blue was already planning on enrolling early at Texas. While I’m not sure it’s beneficial for kids to not play in a lot of cases, running back is a position where the year off won’t hurt and could even help. I was told that Blue’s commitment status isn’t affected by this and he communicated everything properly to the Texas staff.

— There’s a development I’m keeping an eye on but it’s still premature. There is one member of the Texas class considering opening his recruitment, but from what I know it’s still in the decision process. As you guys know, when a kid isn’t that far down the line I won’t release his name because many times those decisions die after a bit of thinking it over. Visits can’t come soon enough as this staff is built to shine while hosting players in Austin.

— On a more positive note, Texas has been quietly making progress with an out of state defensive lineman. I spoke with Jersey City (NJ) St. Peters Prep defensive tackle KJ Miles earlier today. Miles was originally offered by Chris Ash last year but he’s been quiet over the last few months. Texas continued to engage with him under the new staff and he will make a visit to Austin on June 25. Miles spoke highly of the Longhorns and I believe they are in his top 2-3 schools. Wisconsin, Georgia Tech, Virginia and USC are the other favorites, but Texas will get the last visit and Miles will decide shortly after. Watch out for the Longhorns in this one.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting