Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

6 hours ago, Machinator said:

(Mike Roach) VIP intel on four-star cornerback target Terrance Brooks

Reveal hidden contents

— Earlier today I saw four-star Plano John Paul II cornerback Terrance Brooks getting some work in during a training session. Brooks is set to make four big visits this summer before making his final decision. Oregon will get the first shot followed by Florida and Texas with Alabama getting the last trip. Brooks said he plans to make his decision after concluding his visits and before his senior year begins.

— Texas has been able to keep a strong position in this race thanks to Terry Joseph. Brooks told me that he was very high on Notre Dame when Joseph was there, and the relationship never lost any momentum when Joseph made the move to Austin. Brooks and his father Chet, who played at Texas A&M and in the NFL for the San Francisco 49ers, both like the way Joseph teaches the game, and they've enjoyed the bond built with the coaching staff including Steve Sarkisian. Brooks will be in Austin on June 18 when most of the Texas commits and several other big targets.

— Texas A&M was once thought to be a big factor in that race, but I get the sense they are fading. Nobody in the family said that to me, but Brooks hasn't scheduled an official trip to College Station, and he's still undecided about what he will do with his fifth visit. Brooks was recently in College Station for the Texas A&M spring game, but I was told after that event that the Aggies weren't in as strong of a position as was to be believed. Though his dad played for the Aggies, I don't get the sense at all that the family angle gets pushed hard at home.

— In the end, I believe this race ultimately boils down to Texas and Alabama. While visits could change things and elevate Oregon and Florida more, Texas and Alabama are the two schools with the most consistent buzz. Those are also two schools where he has what I would say the best relationships with coaches. When it comes down to it, playing time is going to be a big factor, so Texas can probably pitch a depth chart that's more attractive than the defending champs at the moment. That said, any time a school has to go head-to-head with Alabama they know they are in for a fight.

Gigem' board started a thread laughing at Roach about this update and Perroni basically confirmed what Roach said.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/28/2021 at 3:06 PM, RGBIII said:

Fuck off Nick you old cock sucker. Tired of your shit

We shoulda shot that fella a long time ago. Now he's too rich to kill. (Giant)

If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone. (Godfather 2)

Edited by BornOrange

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

He'll flip on or shortly after that OV, probably in the fall.  Better be on or target the 2nd option quickly.  Prysock?? 

If our defense improves a ton which it should and a couple guys get drafted high-ish I think we have a shot to close it out. I’m drinking a lot of kool-aid tho lol. 

26 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

If our defense improves a ton which it should and a couple guys get drafted high-ish I think we have a shot to close it out. I’m drinking a lot of kool-aid tho lol. 

Aledo-to-Alabama is a thing right now. And we can't let ourselves get McClellan'd.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Exactly. This guy gets it. No doubt in my mind Allen’s going to wait until April to see who we get drafted. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

I didn’t think it was possible to drink enough Koolaid to believe time travel is possible. But here we are. 

4 hours ago, ChemicalHorn said:

That quote makes Ewers looks like a huge pussy. Let’s hope he doesn’t do too well in college otherwise he might get drafted by a team that hasn’t been competitive in the last few years.

Yeah, 'gaping pussy' was indeed my reaction when I read this quote from Ewers. I remember another very highly-recruited guy saying pretty much exactly the same shit when he chose ouSUCKS. He chose ... poorly.

A true badass would recognize the golden opportunity to go to the sleeping giant and start recruiting more badasses to go with him and take it back to the top.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/27/2021 at 12:12 PM, closetojumping said:

Don't expect a ton of commitments in June. Most will happen between the visits and summer practices for high schools starting.   The big issue on both the recruit side and the coaching side across the country is that they don't actually know each other, so there is going to be a ton of sizing up going on. Expect guys who were locks to go somewhere to back off, either because the staff picked up some red flags or the player realized "nope, not for me". This will happen all over the country, which is why it is hilarious to see different $9.95ers predicting players to their schools with absolute certitude. You can go through and look at the "locks" we've been counting and see how that can work against our recruitnik dreams, but remember it is going to happen elsewhere too. 

This staff is going to go pretty deep into the review of their feel for a player's football intelligence and love for the sport as well as all of the measurables. If they determine an absolute standout doesn't love football or doesn't have the acumen or maturity they're looking for, they will back off. In fact, they view that as an issue with the Texas culture that they're working on fixing. Getting to UT doesn't mean you've made it. It means get to work on the field, in the weight room, and in the classroom. Otherwise, the world needs plenty of bartenders. 

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

7 hours ago, wood said:

A true badass would recognize the golden opportunity to go to the sleeping giant 

Expect a letter in the mail. Aggy has trademarked “sleeping giant” and only ESPN is allowed to use it when referring to them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Worthy and Thompson would probably give us the fastest we duo in the country.  

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

If Sark and Coleman could haul in Winfield, Thompson, and Stewart in this class.....

But....but....but......we have to recruit a tall, slow WR who can win jump balls to be our outside WR.

• Rage+1 1

The competitiveness of five-star 2022 CB Denver Harris "almost dangerous"
STEVE WILTFONG

Spoiler

The competitiveness of five-star 2022 CB Denver Harris "almost dangerous"
STEVE WILTFONG

As college prospects in the 2022 class finally begin to hit the road on Tuesday, June 1, the first day football recruits can visit college campuses since a NCAA Dead Period was put in place last March (in result of the Covid-19 pandemic), there aren’t too many faces the likes of Nick Saban, Jimbo Fisher, Steve Sarkisian and Ed Orgeron are going to be more excited to see than that of five-star cornerback Denver Harris.

The Houston (Texas) North Shore blue-chipper has official visits set with each program, and has all the traits desired to be a difference-maker on the biggest stage of college football.

It starts with Harris’s competitive energy.

“It’s almost dangerous in a sense,” Coach Theadis Reagins said. Reagins discovered him at a fitting event, a Deion Sanders camp when Harris was an up-and-coming middle school wide receiver.

“He hates a guy catching a pass on him,” Reagins continued. “He’s that competitive. He feels if a guy catches a pass that’s a loss to him. A short yardage slant, that’s a loss to him. He does a great job to not let anyone catch a ball on him. That’s how competitive he is. He doesn’t want to be second place in anything. He always wants to be first. That’s the mindset he has. He’s not going to settle for second.

“He’s always trying to find ways to be the top dog.”

And Harris usually is.

“Denver has been a great athlete since flag football,” his mother Rochell Harris said. “Literally the first team he played on, some people would say it’s braggadocios, but he carried all his teams to every championship they ever had (as a kid). In flag football he’d play quarterback, they’d hike it to him and he’d run it in every time. His speed was exceptional, and his footwork and just being aware on the field. He’s been with really good programs and always been the star of each program.”

The championships continued in high school in helping national powerhouse North Shore win a title in the Lone Star State’s largest class as a sophomore. And while the accolades are public, the grind behind the scenes has been enormous. The youngest of four boys, with a little sister, Harris has never been intimidated to compete.

In fact he lives for it.

“I think it comes from his family dynamics,” Reagins said. “His mom is super competitive. Denver’s older brothers, they push him to the limit and tell him he’s not that good and don’t stroke his ego.”

“He’s competitive,” Rochell stated. “You can’t match that.”

With that, the 6-foot-1, 180-pound Harris has worked for this moment. Harris arrived at North Shore a promising offensive player. He certainly could’ve stayed there and he'd have offers. But following his freshman year Harris told Reagins he wanted to play college football at the highest level. That sparked a conversation and ultimately a move to the defensive back room as a sophomore where Harris was naturally gifted. He picked off a pass in his first game, a nationally televised contest against Katy.

“Coach Reagins said I’m good with you if you want to play wide receiver, but they’re a dime a doze,” Rochell remembered. “There are going to be 101 wide receivers similar to you. But if you can really lock down and grasp the concept of playing corner this is going to pay dividends. You’re the size of cornerbacks in the NFL now. You have the size and the speed.”

“I said with your skill set, size, speed and agility, you have a chance to be one of the top prospects in the country,” Reagins added.

Reagins was right.

Harris got to work right away, prior to that sophomore campaign. He showed his potential in the secondary at a Under Armour camp in May of 2019. Tennessee offered shortly after. A few days later a dominant performance at Baylor’s camp netted scholarship number two from now Carolina Panthers coach Matt Rhule. By the time that May was over, Harris had full-rides from LSU, Texas A&M and Georgia as well. On June 2, he worked with Nick Saban in Tuscaloosa and left the SEC powerhouse with that opportunity. He’s been a priority for the defending National Champs ever since. Oklahoma jumped in a few days later. Texas was one he was waiting on and the Longhorns entered the picture in August. As it stands now, Harris has close to 40 offers.

As one would imagine, the recruiting battle to land Harris has been as competitive as the prospect himself. Mom has signed off on each of the four finalists - Alabama, Texas, Texas A&M and LSU - with a decision date targeted for September.

“I love Alabama because who doesn’t,” Rochell said. “Why wouldn’t you.

“I love LSU, it’s in Baton Rouge and they produce great DBs. Texas, I’m loving them because it’s Texas. They haven’t done as much on the football field as I would like but I like their after football plans and I love Austin. Every time I go they’re so welcoming.

“A&M, they have Jimbo Fisher, enough said. That’s almost like Nick Saban at Alabama.”

Harris so natural at the cornerback position, plays with a smoothness and strong technique. 247Sports National Analyst Gabe Brooks compares his game to that of Jeff Okudah, the third overall selection in the 2020 NFL Draft.

“Tall, long cornerback prospect with elite frame potential relative to the position,” Brooks wrote. “Size already gives opposing wideouts problems. Possesses a ton of potential as a jammer. Uses frame to advantage and plays physical brand of coverage. Physical nature translates to tackling ability. Light on his feet and sinks hips. Shows impressive redirecting ability, whether in coverage or pursuit. On-field top-end speed looks encouraging. Flashes turn-and-run ability to shadow wideouts in vertical passing game.”

It’s an elite year at the cornerback position and Harris is right there with anyone ranking as the No. 6 overall player in the class regardless of position by the 247Sports Composite.

“Denver is a really smart kid as well,” Reagins said. “It’s hard to find a guy with his size and speed and knowledge of the game, and coachable, you rarely find it in a kid of his stature.”

Football is just a piece of Harris.

“He’s a fashionista,” Rochell said, adding he has a shoe collection that nobody his age should have, from rare Jordans to Pradas.

“He has the best shoes I’ve seen for a young kid,” Reagins laughed.

Harris is also gamer. He’s a strong student.

“He’s a worker,” Rochell added.

He’s everything Saban, Fisher, Sarkisian and Orgeron are looking for. This coming month Harris will see if those institutions have what he desires.

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Texas summer visit mega-primer

Spoiler

Starting tomorrow the college football world is all systems go to return with on-campus visits. Each day of June will be action-packed with coaches working to host visitors both unofficially and officially.

This will be the first time Steve Sarkisian and his staff are able to get in front of kids and show off everything the University of Texas has to offer. This will be the first time the Texas program has been able to host a prospect since Camar Wheaton made his way to campus in March of 2020.

The Longhorns are set up for four massive weekends hosting most of the top targets on their board and just about every commit. Sarkisian said last week that he feels in-person recruiting is one of his strengths, and he will get to show that off now.

So, what do the Longhorns have in front of them? In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we take an overview of the month of June and where the Longhorns could potentially stand come July and August.

JUNE 4-6
In what will be the first big official visit weekend of the summer, the Longhorns are only slated to see three visitors as of now that we’ve confirmed. This weekend will serve as somewhat of an east Texas weekend as the Longhorns and a big out of state from east of Texas.

Lake Charles (La.) College Prep four-star running back TreVonte' Citizen (official visit)

The Longhorns have a chance to make a big impression on a primary running back target in Citizen. As Horns247 reported last week in The Stampede, sources near Citizen expect him to leave the state, and one source I spoke with felt it could come down to Texas or A&M.

Texarkana (Texas) Texas High four-star defensive end Derrick Brown (official visit)

This is another big visit, and it gives the Longhorns a chance to set the tone with an important target on the board. Texas seems to be near the top of the race battling programs like Oklahoma and Texas A&M for the lanky edge. Brown is a bit impressionable, so Texas will have to leave a lasting impression as the Aggies and Sooners will get shots after them.

Tenaha (Texas) three-star athlete Jeremy Patton (official visit)

I’m not quite ready to put Patton on commit watch, but I think Texas takes full control of this recruitment after the visit. Nick and I both entered Crystal Ball predictions for Patton, and though I think he will take his visits, this could be the weekend that the Longhorns solidify their position.

Allen (Texas) four-star offensive lineman Neto Umeozulu

I’ve yet to confirm the nature of the visit, but two separate sources near Umeozulu told me they expect for the big man to be in Austin. I’m told this visit will be unofficial and only a one-day trip on Saturday. That could bode well for Texas as they would have an official to use for him later.

JUNE 11-13
This weekend will be yet another where a smaller group is expected, but there will be several important visitors for Texas from a need perspective. This will be the last small-group visit before two mega weekends.

Frisco (Texas) four-star offensive guard Cole Hutson (official visit)

The Longhorns will have to juggle the offensive line prospects on the board to make sure they can maximize the talent and not fill up too fast. Hutson is one of those guys on top of the priority list for Texas, and the Longhorns want to make a strong impression on this trip as Oklahoma and Texas A&M will get trips in consecutive weeks.

Reno (Nev.) McQueen four-star linebacker Robby Snelling (official visit)

Snelling would be a big get for Texas if they can land him, and Texas can establish firm positioning in this recruitment should Snelling choose to play football at the next level. Many sources we spoke with expect Snelling, a standout baseball player, to be drafted into the MLB.

Las Vegas (Nev.) Liberty three-star athlete Anthony Jones (official visit)

This will be a pivotal visit opportunity for Texas. The Longhorns have done a good job gaining ground in this recruitment, but they will likely have to sell the two-way star on playing defense if that’s where they ultimately want him. I’m told that Jones wants to play offense, so Texas will have to convince him if the staff wants him to ultimately end up a pass rusher.

Evanston (Ill.) Township four-star linebacker Sebastian Cheeks (official visit)

Yet another pivotal out of state visitor coming into town, Texas has the chance to land a big blow if they can knock it out on the visit. With Notre Dame prioritizing others and Michigan in disarray, Texas could win Cheeks over with a huge visit.

JUNE 18-20
This is the centerpiece weekend of June. Texas will host a large group with arguably the biggest concentration of top targets on the board along with a large group of commits. With guys like Maalik Murphy and Jaydon Blue on campus, Texas will have some extra help when it comes to recruiting uncommitted prospects.

Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra four-star quarterback Maalik Murphy (official visit)

There will be no salesmanship needed on this trip for Maalik Murphy. The Texas quarterback commit is all in on the Longhorns and will be spreading the word to everyone joining him on the trip. Expect Murphy to have his recruiter hat on and be on overdrive during this trip.

Lewisville (Texas) four-star wide receiver Armani Winfield (official visit)

The first commit of the Sarkisian era at Texas has wavered from time to time, but I’m told that everything seems solid with him for now. Winfield is looking at taking a few other trips this summer, but Texas can nail his commitment down in June.

Klein (Texas) Cain four-star running back Jaydon Blue (official visit)

Like Murphy, Blue is firm in his commitment and will undoubtedly be looking to help the Longhorns land others. The bond between Blue and the rest of the Texas staff is strong, and this visit will only serve to strengthen it more.

Galena Park (Texas) North Shore four-star defensive tackle Kristopher Ross (official visit)

Ross will be on campus in mid-June, and Texas can go one step further to shut others out of this recruitment. While Ross talked openly about taking other visits, he maintains that his relationship with Bo Davis is growing stronger by the day. TCU is emerging as a competitor for him, so the Longhorns will need to do everything they can to lock him down on this trip.

Aledo (Texas) four-star safety Bryan Allen Jr. (official visit)

Allen is another recruitment where the Longhorns will need to battle a bit to keep their own. Allen is planning to take an unofficial visit to Alabama on June 5 and return later for an official trip. Blake Gideon did a great job winning Allen over early, but he will need to battle to keep him.

Arlington (Texas) Martin three-star linebacker Trevell Johnson (official visit)

Johnson is also looking to take a few other trips, but there isn’t a sense that his commitment is wavering at all. Johnson should be a big help in recruiting others to join them at Texas, and the Longhorns will be able to sell him on his fit in the defense.

Galena Park (Texas) North Shore five-star cornerback Denver Harris (official visit)

Arguably the most important visitor of the weekend is the five-star Houston cornerback. Texas is in the thick of the race with Alabama and LSU, and Texas will get an opportunity to put its best foot forward that weekend.

Humble (Texas) Summer Creek five-star offensive tackle Kelvin Banks (official visit)

Another priority visit for Texas on this weekend, the Longhorns are hoping to reel in the Houston offensive tackle with a big trip. Offensive line is one of the most important positions of need, and Banks is arguably the top tackle target for Kyle Flood.

El Paso (Texas) Burges four-star running back Tavorus Jones (official visit)

As Texas searches for a second running back to pair with Jaydon Blue, Jones looks like a key candidate. There’s some thought that Texas could close the deal on the visit, though we’ve heard other schools are starting to create some buzz with him.

Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei four-star wide receiver C.J. Williams (official visit)

This is a recruitment where Texas could make some progress with a top tier target. Williams is high on the Longhorns, but Notre Dame, Alabama and Ohio State are all schools that will factor into the race. Texas can show off Austin and the educational opportunities along with early playing time.

Bremond (Texas) four-star defensive tackle Jaray Bledsoe (official visit)

This is a visit we are still trying to fully verify, but if Texas gets Bledsoe on campus,, it would be a big step toward winning him over. Texas A&M seems to have the buzz right now but Bo Davis has been able to put Texas into position to capitalize on a strong trip.

Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany four-star linebacker Niuafe Tuihalamaka (official visit)

This is a trip that seems on for now but might not happen. There’s quite a bit of buzz that Tuihalamaka could make a commitment mid-summer and Notre Dame seems to be the favorite at the moment. If Texas does host him, they would have a chance to flip the script, but I’m not sure it ever gets there.

Saint James (La.) four-star wide receiver Shazz Preston (official visit)

Preston is preparing for a busy summer of visits, and the Longhorns have managed to put themselves in position to win over one of the nation’s top playmakers. Texas needs to stay in the race along with Alabama and LSU, and the visit will be an opportunity to gain some momentum.

Spearman (Texas) four-star athlete Brenen Thompson (unofficial visit)

The speedy Thompson is one of the top offensive threats for the Longhorns. Texas has been gaining momentum in this race, and Thompson is slated to be in town for an unofficial trip. The Longhorns can make a big splash on this visit and still have an official visit left in the chamber to use again.

Plano (Texas) John Paul II four-star cornerback Terrance Brooks (official visit)

Brooks is one of the top targets for Terry Joseph, and he could swing for the fences on this weekend with Denver Harris and Brooks. Brooks is one of the top corners in the country, and Texas will have a chance to make their pitch shortly before his decision is made.

JUNE 25-27

The final big weekend of June. With no official visits anticipated for July, the Longhorns will have the chance to make a lasting impression on the prospects they host on this weekend.

Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial four-star cornerback Jaylon Guilbeau (official visit)

Guilbeau is the longest-tenured commit in the 2022 Texas class. He’s looking into visiting a few other schools and TCU continues to push hard for him. I don’t believe Guilbeau is close to moving on at this point, but Texas can solidify things on this trip.

Hewitt-Trussville (Ala.) four-star defensive end Justice Finkley (official visit)

I’ve heard a considerable amount of Michigan buzz for the four-star defender. While the Wolverines seem to be the favorite, Texas will get the final swing of the summer. Finkley is focused on academics, and Texas can make a splash with their scholastic presentation.

Pilot Point (Texas) four-star linebacker Ish Harris (official visit)

Texas will need to nail this visit in order to elevate their position with Harris. The Longhorns are behind Texas A&M in this race and they are probably battling Oklahoma as well. In the end, Harris wants to major in agricultural engineering which has the Aggies in a prime position.

Buford (Ga.) three-star athlete Isaiah Bond (official visit)

We’ve not been able to confirm if this visit is still on. Bond committed to Florida earlier in the month, and we’ve made attempts to reach him to see if his visit is still planned. I’d lean toward Bond not making the trip, but we are still working to confirm.

Montgomery (Ala.) Catholic Preparatory four-star linebacker TJ Dudley (official visit)

The Longhorns are probably a long shot to get Dudley away from the likes of Alabama, Auburn and several other big time southeast programs. The Longhorns will get the chance to impress Dudley on their visit and convince him to head to the southwest.

Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peter's Prep four-star defensive tackle KJ Miles (official visit)

Miles recently cut his list to three with Georgia Tech and Wisconsin joining the Longhorns in the top group. Miles will make his decision shortly after this visit, so Texas will need to knock it out of the park to bring home the sturdy interior defensive lineman.

Beaumont (Texas) West Brook four-star safety Bryce Anderson (official visit)

Texas has been the favorite for Bryce Anderson since early spring, and they will get the last crack at visits before he makes his July 4 decision. Texas will have to sweat a few other visits with Anderson going to Texas A&M and Alabama, but the Longhorns should remain confident here.

Duncanville (Texas) four-star offensive tackle Cameron Williams (official visit)

The Longhorns were able to work quickly to get Williams on campus shortly after ordering, but they will have to outlast Oklahoma, Oregon and Miami who will all get visits. This is another instance where the Longhorns will get the last shot before Williams makes a summer decision.

Denton (Texas) Ryan four-star safety Austin Jordan (official visit)

Jordan is set to see his three finalists this summer in consecutive weeks. Texas will get the final shot and will need to do some work to overcome the Buckeyes and Sooners. Jordan is expected to make a summer decision, so this could be an important last step.

Van Nuys (Calif.) Birmingham four-star athlete Arlis Boardingham (official visit)

Texas has the chance to solidify standing with Boardingham. The big Californian has the Longhorns high on his list along with Arizona State who will host him the week before. Texas needs to strike it big to land the intriguing tight end prospect.

Southaven (Miss.) three-star defensive tackle Aaron Bryant (official visit)

Bryant doesn’t talk often, but I’ve been told this is a winnable recruitment for the Longhorns. Bryant has several big visits including trips to Georgia and Texas A&M. Ole Miss is a program that’s considered a favorite at the moment, but Texas will have its shot to make an impact on Bryant on this trip.

Montgomery (AL.) Park Crossing Four-star DL Khurtiss Perry (Unofficial visit)

Perry comes to Austin as yet another southeast prospect making a trip. Perry is going to make a tour of unofficial visits before deciding on official trips later. Texas can put themselves in position to receive a return visit though the in-state programs will be tough to beat.

• Hook 'Em 3

IT

Spoiler

We are in a unique cycle. Recruiting truly begins in June. For that reason, we’re going to include commits for the first time ever.

Commits

QB Maalik Murphy, Junipero Serra (Gardena, CA)
Justin Wells: 75%. Besides UCLA, I’m not sure who else pushes for him.
Gerry Hamilton: 95%
Eric Nahlin: 85%.

RB Jaydon Blue, Cain (Klein, TX)
JW: 50%. I think he plays his senior year.
GH: 40%. Could go higher depending on how things shake out in the next month or so. My bet is Blue plays his senior season somewhere.
EN: 30%. Ask me in August.

WR Armani Winfield, Lewisville (Lewisville, TX)
JW: 70%. He loves Texas, but he also wants to enjoy the fruits of recruiting and official visits.
GH: 80%. All kids want to make visits, and they absolutely should. So it gives programs a chance to chip away a little.
EN: 80%

DL Kristopher Ross, Galena Park North Shore (Houston, TX)
JW: 65%. TCU will make a push. Bo Davis just has to push back.
GH: 65%. Newly minted North Shore U is working hard to flip Ross. Plenty of good connections for Texas on this one to help fend off TCU, and possibly Oklahoma.
EN: 80%. “He’s a loyal guy,” said a source close to Ross.

DL Zac Swanson, Brophy College Preparatory (Phoenix, AZ)
JW: 80%
GH: 100%
EN: 85%. As long as they stay on him there should be no issues here.

LB Trevell Johnson, Martin (Arlington, TX)
JW: 85%. Most of those Martin boys like the Longhorns.
GH: 90%. Doesn’t win the eye test, but the tape is really good.
EN: 90%. Team leader mentality + great fit + UT being his best option = not concerned

DB Jaylon Guilbeau, Memorial (Port Arthur, TX)
JW: 50%. Guilbeau has been looking around since Sark took over.
GH: 65%. A recruitment that feels like it will always be shaky until an LOI is signed.
EN: 60%. If UT misses on one of T. Brooks and D. Harris I’m guessing they’ll work even harder on Guilbeau. For now he has A&M and TCU keeping tabs.

DB BJ Allen, Aledo (Aledo, TX)
JW: 60%. Today, I like Texas. Ask me again on 6/5.
GH: 51%. Alabama has feasted on Aledo prospects committed to other universities seen as competition.
EN: 60%. Of course the Bama visit isn’t ideal but there is good opportunity at Texas for immediate playing time.

Uncommitted

QB Quinn Ewers, Carroll (Southlake, TX) - OHIO STATE
JW: 33%. Everyone in his circle wants Texas. A part of him still does. If this happens, it might have to be after a B12 Championship.
GH: 20%. No doubt the parents and people closest want Texas, and believe Texas is the best place for Quinn. Not sure Quinn is buying into that.
EN: 40%. Because of where we are in the cycle, this is a tough situation to add the amount of context you guys deserve. We can say, when we bumped him to 60% not long ago, we heard a possible re-commitment was brewing before Arch Manning makes it to Austin.

*BONUS PERCENTAGE*

QB Arch Manning, Isidore Newman (New Orleans, LA) - 2023
JW: 45%. This pursuit trending up while Ewers trends down is probably not a coincidence.
GH: 40%. Texas is working from a position of strength, but the competition is fierce for the top quarterback prospects in the 2023 class.
EN: 50%. The mid-month visit looms extremely large. I think the post-visit percentage is more likely to trend up than down.

RB TreVonte’ Citizen, Lake Charles College Prep (Lake Charles, LA)
JW: 25%. LSU didn’t handle this well early, but I still think he’s the Tigers’ to lose. Maybe the Aggies make it interesting.
GH: 40%. Will Citizen leave the SEC? Texas A&M is working to make sure he doesn’t, and the recruitment of Jacoby Mathews should remind anyone what can happen late with the home state power.
EN: 33%. Drayton already loved Citizen; the Blue developments make him even more important. Bijan Robinson coupled with an inviting depth chart will give Texas some good selling points. A&M will be able to counter with Isaiah Spiller. LSU has Marie Laveau on its side.

RB Jamarion Miller, Legacy (Tyler, TX)
JW: 30%. Texas loves him and will continue to pursue. But getting back into UT lean status will be difficult.
GH: 20%. Hard to imagine that Miller is at 20%. Texas covets him, but there is work to be done.
EN: 40%. I think this recruitment is poised for a bounce back. They need to get him to campus.

RB Tavorus Jones, Burges (El Paso, TX)
JW: 75%. It’s Texas and I’m unsure who is the competition.
GH: 85%. If Texas tells Jones they want him in the class, hard to imagine it goes badly at this point.
EN: 75%. Will Texas push, but for real this time?

RB DeAnthony Gatson, Newton (Newton, TX)
JW: 55%. If Texas says yes, it’s over.
GH: 45%. If Gatson passes the eye test with the staff, this % could go up.
EN: 50%. His recruitment is probably directly tied to Citizen’s. That makes it hard to know where confidence should be.

WR Evan Stewart, Liberty (Frisco, TX)
JW: 55%. Despite his de-commitment, I’d still have Stewart as Texas-vs-field. He still likes the Longhorns too.
GH: 50%. Texas absolutely covets Stewart. This is considered a “must get” in the class.
EN: 50%. I keep going back to him telling IT that Texas will always get first crack at him.

WR Kevin Coleman, St. Mary's (St. Louis, MO)
JW: 10%. Probably Alabama.
GH: 15%. Unless Alabama goes another direction, tough to imagine Texas winning out here.
EN: 10%. He likes the scheme and will fit in well in Austin, but UT has a good shot to land both Evans and Brenen Thompson and wouldn’t land all three. Plus, Bama.

WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman (Spearman, TX)
JW: 60%. Texas is slowly separating from the pack.
GH: 51%. Like Stewart, Texas absolutely covets Thompson and his 10.4 speed. He’s considered one of the handful of “must get” prospects in the class at this point.
EN: 65%. He and Stewart would complement each other well which means selling them on being in the same class is doable.

WR Jordan Hudson, Garland High (Garland, TX)
JW: 30%. He’s more open than he lets on, but the Sooners are very good at holding on loosely.
GH: 25%. This was 50-50 a few weeks ago. Oklahoma has someone very close to Hudson (not a parent) working in their favor.
EN: 20%.

WR Shazz Preston, St. James (St. James, LA)
JW: 5%. He’ll make a visit, take some pictures, then commit elsewhere.
GH: 10%. The competition is Alabama, LSU and Georgia for a Pelican State WR. Thinking 10% may be too high.
EN: 5%.

WR CJ Williams, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA)
JW: 15%. Dozen better options within driving distance.
GH: 20%. Texas truly covets speed at receiver in the class.
EN: 15%. We’re probably too low on him as a player, but we don’t feel UT is pushing all that hard. This is a player Sarkisian is very familiar with. He’ll have the right read.

TE Arlis Boardingham, Birmingham (Van Nuys, CA)
JW: 50%. Texas might quietly lead here.
GH: 60%. Jumbo athlete whose father is a track coach. Sign me up, and that’s what the Texas staff is thinking as well.
EN: 50%. What’s throwing me for a loop here is Boardingham telling IT he talks to Banks every couple of weeks. We’ll be curious to see how the in-person evaluation and visit goes. That could be enough to put UT over the top.

TE Tommy McIntosh, Dewitt (Dewitt, MI)
JW: 20%. He likes Texas, but if they take one tight end, it’s probably not him.
GH: 15%. Boardingham is the one coveted most.
EN: 10%.

OL Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (Humble, TX)
JW: 75%. I still like UT’s chances here. A lot.
GH: 75%. Barring a major change, Texas chances remain very good here.
EN: 80%. The only thing giving me pause is the size of Texas. He’s mentioned preferring smaller environments, but that was long ago.

OL Devon Campbell, Bowie (Arlington, TX)
JW: 75%. Texas has been strong here from the get-go, and Campbell has seen Austin the most.
GH: 75%. Like Banks, Texas is working from a very good spot here. Would be an upset if Campbell went far from home, and that wasn’t Texas. Oklahoma and now Texas A&M will try hard, however.
EN: 85%. To tell you how good Kyle Flood’s chances are, Herb Hand would have had a chance in this one.

OL Cole Hutson, Frisco High (Frisco, TX)
JW: 60%. UT’s top competition will be OU and A&M, unless Alabama makes noise. We should have an answer after his trips.
GH: 60%. It’s going to be close to home unless Alabama comes in late. Like Texas’ chances over Texas A&M and Oklahoma, as of today.
EN: 60%. Wanting to play center could be what puts him over the top with Texas.

OL Neto Umeozulu, Allen (Allen, TX)
JW: 39%. Texas has slowly but surely made an impression on Umeozulu. Just curious how much Alabama pushes.
GH: 33%. A true wild card recruitment. Neto loves leaving everyone guessing. If Texas gets him on campus in June, the % will go up.
EN: 45%. If UT can win over the parents, which is doable, then Flood will have pulled off a big upset in the class.

OL Conner Robertson, Westlake (Austin, TX)
JW: 45%. Texas has proximity, familiarity, and convenience. But I get the sense he’d like to leave the state.
GH: 50%. Close to home in a very good offense vs. heading to Stanford to play in an antiquated offense. Texas has a better shot at the Stanford battles under this staff moving forward.
EN: 40%. I’d be surprised if both Hutson and Robertson ended up in the class.

OL Cameron Williams, Duncanville (Duncanville, TX)
JW: 45%. When we asked Williams what was the one school he wanted to hear from, he said Texas. He got his wish and UT got its chance.
GH: 40%. This is a recruitment Texas has the ability to win.
EN: 40%. It would be hilarious if Texas landed an o-lineman each from Allen and Duncanville. What a sea change that would be.

OL Malik Agbo, Todd Beamer (Federal Way, WA)
JW: 25%. It feels like Texas has a shot, but I need more proof.
GH: 30%. Unless the LSU visit goes poorly, the Tigers are a pretty decent betting favorite. Miami and Oklahoma are right there with Texas hoping LSU fades.
EN: 40%. If he’s not already mentally locked into LSU, this one could get really interesting.

OL Kameron Dewberry, Atascocita (Humble, TX)
JW: 35%
GH: 20%
EN: 33%. With good o-line play and a good season, Texas can win out. He really liked Texas growing up and having the “Alabama” offense at Texas is a big plus.

DL Bear Alexander, Brewer (Fort Worth, TX) - GEORGIA
JW: 8%. I don’t know where he’ll sign, but my money is on him hitting the portal at some point.
GH: 5%. This feels like a good ole Texas A&M, Alabama, and Georgia trench battle at this point.

DL Jaray Bledsoe, Bremond (Bremond, TX)
JW: 25%. The big kid is a big target on many big boards. Texas needs to be big here.
GH: 25%. A total wildcard recruitment due to lack of communication with all schools. Texas A&M in best position to hold, and win out here. Alabama currently has Bledsoe’s attention.
EN: 25%. Need to win over mom to give UT an advocate at home. Bo Davis has made some strides in that department.

DL Khurtiss Perry, Park Crossing (Montgomery, AL
JW: 5%. Give Texas credit for trying, I suppose.
GH: 1%. I’ll go higher if Nick Saban retires June 1, or Auburn shuts down the football program.
EN: 1%. Might as well target Kurtis Blow.

DL Aaron Bryant, Southaven (Southaven, MS)
JW: 25%. Tough pull from SEC country. But he’s listening.
GH: 20%. Again, Texas battling SEC powers for a prospect from Mississippi. Bo Davis being from Mississippi, and having some really good connections provides the staff good intel.
EN: 20%. He’s definitely worth the effort but SEC schools know he’s better than his ranking suggests.

OLB Justice Finkley, Hewitt-Trussville (Trussville, AL)
JW: 48%. Finkley talks up Texas often. Academics actually helps here.
GH: 50%. Unless Alabama truly pushes, a battle with Michigan is winnable.
EN: 55%. UT can pull this one off thanks to Finkley’s prioritization of academics.

OLB Anthony Jones, Liberty (Las Vegas, NV)
JW: 25%. Jones is a throwback type, and he might play closer to home.
GH: 25%. Texas can win recruitments out west, and this one will be having to beat out Oregon and possibly USC.
EN: 50%. We might all be low here. This will be a huge visit. Like Bryant, he’s underrated by the networks.

LB Sebastian Cheeks, Evanston Township (Evanston, IL)
JW: 38%. If Cheeks loves Austin, this one gets fun, and Notre Dame might fill up.
GH: 33%. Sure Notre Dame is in it, but something about a possible Mack Brown vs. Texas recruitment makes this a top 5 for me in the 2022 cycle.
EN: 60%. Texas should be able to eclipse Notre Dame’s intensity in this recruitment. Word is Cheeks liked UT the school before recruiting was a big part of the equation.

LB Martrell Harris, The Woodlands (The Woodlands, TX) — Might need to scratch him from this exercise
JW: 10%. I think Texas has its priority targets already.
GH: 5%. Texas A&M’s if they want him, and he’s making an OV June 18-20.

LB Harold Perkins, Cypress Park (Cypress, TX)
JW: 20%. I don’t think Perkins leaves the state, but it’s difficult to see him in Austin right now.
GH: 20%. This is a recruitment Texas just needs to hang around the rim, and Jeff Banks is doing just that.
EN: 10%.

LB Jeremy Patton, Tenaha (Tenaha, TX)
JW: 75%. As soon as Texas offered, Patton was seeing burnt orange. UT’s staff is doing a great job here.
GH: 55%. When leaving Tenaha last season, the prevailing thought was four schools had the best shot at Patton - Alabama, Texas, LSU or Texas A&M. Nothing has changed, and the Longhorns are the school of the four that covets Patton.
EN: 75%. Would Texas take both Patton and Cheeks? Probably so.

LB Ish Harris, Pilot Point (Pilot Point, TX)
JW: 25%. Nice talent but a better fit elsewhere.
GH: 30%. Texas A&M says he can play RB, LB, QB, WR, LT, EDGE, K, P and return kicks. Oklahoma will flash hardware.
EN: 10%. A&M, imo.

CB Terrance Brooks, John Paul II (Plano, TX)
JW: 35%. I can’t see Alabama not getting at least one of Brooks or Denver Harris. Texas needs the split.
GH: 45%. Alabama HS Nick Saban is perceived as the best place a DB can go and develop, and player development is the driving force behind Brooks’ decision.
EN: 50%. This one requires some reading of the tea leaves and I go back and forth on what they’re sating.

CB Denver Harris, North Shore (Houston, TX)
JW: 45%. Nick Saban made this personal. Harris is a must-get.
GH: 45%. Texas can’t afford to lose out on Brooks and Harris to Alabama. Better win one.
EN: 50%. ”It’s going to come down to the wire.” It’s impossible to know which way this one will go. Each side is concerned about the other.

DB Bryce Anderson, West Brook (Beaumont, TX)
JW: 70%. This has been trending Texas for awhile. Beware of Bama.
GH: 65%. Alabama making a strong run, but Texas working from a position of strength headed into June. Putting out a commitment date of July 4th provides a very nice target for the competition.
EN: 70%. Losing Anderson to Bama would be the worst beat of the cycle. I don’t think it happens but you can’t rule it out.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah, 'gaping pussy' was indeed my reaction when I read this quote from Ewers. I remember another very highly-recruited guy saying pretty much exactly the same shit when he chose ouSUCKS. He chose ... poorly.

A true badass would recognize the golden opportunity to go to the sleeping giant and start recruiting more badasses to go with him and take it back to the top.

So when do we get our Jamaal Charles of QB’s?  Is that Murphy?  Good luck to Quinn. He’s fucking up.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

So when do we get our Jamaal Charles of QB’s?  Is that Murphy?  Good luck to Quinn. He’s fucking up.

Yeah, I guess good luck to him. 

Fuck him if he doesn't want to be a part of Texas, a part of UT, a part of Austin for his college football days. 

And he clearly doesn't want to be any part of that. So... fuck Ewers. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, wood said:

My friend, that post could be lifted from Texags. Just lacks "he's skeered of the SEC." No offense intended, but it tastes of sour grapes.

A number of top recruits have chosen Texas over the last eight or so years wanting to lead us to national contention again. It hasn't happened. I don't think you can expect to keep selling that with each new coaching change. This years class has seen the process. 

We have the talent now to be top ten. We must rely on coaches to raise us to that level.

The promise of "better get on the train now" lacks substance for us. Our train is sitting in the station with Greatness written as the destination. Many nearby tracks have less glamorouis looking trains purportedly heading to the same destination.

The Alabama train heading to the same place just slows down enough to let wouild be passengers run alongside and leap onto caboose then whisks on by the rest of us.

Sark and today's players must get the train moving. Otherwise, it's just a glamorous housing project going nowhere. Some hopeful passengers will board, many of fine quality. The train must move or the word gets out.

Herman left the makings of a solid team that has won big games. It was bold of Texas to fire him after winning a bowl game, but man it was smart. I'm optimistic with each new coaching change. I have no idea what will happen, as usual, but it's nice to try a new (to belabor a metaphor) engineer.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Can't fault anyone for choosing NFL factories like Bama or OSU over Texas after Strong and Herman have driven this program into the ground. These recruits have watched years of underperformance and humiliating losses to TCU, Baylor, Kansas, Maryland etc while watching Alabama and Ohio State play in big games and send guys to the NFL.

38 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Can't fault anyone for choosing NFL factories like Bama or OSU over Texas after Strong and Herman have driven this program into the ground. These recruits have watched years of underperformance and humiliating losses to TCU, Baylor, Kansas, Maryland etc while watching Alabama and Ohio State play in big games and send guys to the NFL.

Yeah, because it is something in the water and has nothing to do with coaching. But it isn't just you, it looks like most of the IT guys are pussies as well - Uh oh, Alabama offered and I'm not sure if Texas can hold them off. FUCK that shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting