Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Wells

Spoiler

DL Aaron Bryant, Southaven (Southaven, MS) - 2022:

The 6-foot-4, 306-pound defensive lineman might be rated a three-star, but his talent and offer sheet says different.

Alabama, Georgia, Texas, and Virginia Tech are among his 20 verbal invitations. And the message is consistent across the board; take.

“Most teams tell me that I can play all spots," said Bryant. "The 1-tech to the 5-tech in certain packages. Texas said they view me as versatile player who can play all positions on the defensive line.”

Bryant is a disruptive force on the defensive interior, notching 68 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, six sacks, and four forced fumbles in 2020.

He has official visits set for Georgia on June 4th-6th, Texas A&M on June 18th-20th, and Texas on the 25-27th.

He’ll see Texas soon. Here’s what he wants to see: “Really just how things are done are going to be done, if I feel Confident that Texas and the Staff will do everything that it takes to win, and To see if Austin feels like a place I’ll be comfortable leaving my parents and taking the next 3-4 years of my life there.”

Bryant would be a welcome addition to any college program, and UT getting his last June trip could help the Horns.

DL KJ Miles, St. Peters Prep (Jersey City, New Jersey) - 2022:

The 6-foot-3, 280-pound four-star composite from the east coast dropped his Top 3 today, with Texas making the cut.

Miles holds 26 offers including Alabama, USC, and Arizona State. He's also got trips set for his top three schools.

He'll see Georgia Tech on June 11th, Wisconsin on June 17th, and Texas on June 25th.

He's tallied 55 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, and one forced fumble over the last two seasons. While the upside is there, we don't know how hard UT is actually pushing for his services. We know Notre Dame backed off recently, and heard G-Tech might be his leader.

We'll have more on Miles if it merits conversation.

Mike at Night: Recapping my trip to North Shore

Spoiler

— Denver Harris still isn't interested in doing interviews at this time as he's focused on recovering from a torn ACL suffered in the state semifinals and getting back to football. The five-star corner is ready for a summer full of visits and Texas will get one on June 18. I was able to catch up with some sources near him, and it sounds like things are starting to heat up. Alabama is becoming a tough customer (as to be expected) for the Longhorns, but those I talk to feel it will likely come down to the SEC power or the state flagship. LSU remains as a threat and a program Denver has talked about since the beginning. Texas A&M will also get an opportunity to make an impression, but I'm not sure they are as strong as they once were for him, especially with the departure of former teammate Shadrach Banks. Harris hinted at a commitment recently on social media, but one source told me he thinks this race goes to signing day unless someone blows him away on a visit. Buckle up because this will be a heavyweight fight.

— Texas commit Kristopher Ross had as dominant of a practice performance as I've ever seen from a defensive lineman. I didn't keep an official count but I can say he had what would have been 4-5 sacks and a gang of tackles. Ross is slated to visit Austin on June 18 and will be on the trip with Denver Harris who he's been recruiting to join him. Ross didn't say who, but he is working on lining up a few other trips. It wouldn't surprise me if TCU was one of them as we've heard some talk there recently. Still, Ross seems pretty solid and he said it would take him a lot to change the bond he has with Bo Davis.

— He's not a North Shore player, but I did talk to some folks about Federal Way (Wa.) Todd Beamer offensive lineman Malik Agbo today. He's visiting a few schools this summer and saving two trips for the fall. It sounds like the Longhorns will likely get one of those trips. I didn't have a great feel for where Texas was in the race for Agbo, but I talked to someone who felt Texas could be the biggest threat along with LSU for the services of the big man. The Longhorns have been doing a great job there quietly as Kyle Flood has nailed the connection.

37 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He's not a North Shore player, but I did talk to some folks about Federal Way (Wa.) Todd Beamer offensive lineman Malik Agbo today. He's visiting a few schools this summer and saving two trips for the fall. It sounds like the Longhorns will likely get one of those trips. I didn't have a great feel for where Texas was in the race for Agbo, but I talked to someone who felt Texas could be the biggest threat along with LSU for the services of the big man. The Longhorns have been doing a great job there quietly as Kyle Flood has nailed the connection.

I would've guessed OU above both Texas and LSU here ...  interesting. 

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This staff is going to go pretty deep into the review of their feel for a player's football intelligence and love for the sport as well as all of the measurables. If they determine an absolute standout doesn't love football or doesn't have the acumen or maturity they're looking for, they will back off. In fact, they view that as an issue with the Texas culture that they're working on fixing. Getting to UT doesn't mean you've made it. It means get to work on the field, in the weight room, and in the classroom. Otherwise, the world needs plenty of bartenders. 

I feel like this is something Sarkisian and fellow former Bama staff has picked up from Saban. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The $9.95ers are pussies and Texas is landing Denver Harris and has a great shot at Brooks.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Given that the Frisco guy wants to play C, he's someone everyone should move up their board in terms of priorities and how he'll be recruited. I don't know what the film says, but he's supposed to have a mean streak for a rich kid. 

Good shit, close!

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The Reno guy has baseball as his priority, so they may have already concluded that he doesn't love football. Not sure. 

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=19251

“I want to do both sports in college but baseball is definitely what I want to do as a job,” Snelling told PG without hesitation during a separate telephone conversation last week. “That’s my biggest thing right now.”

Too bad - thanks for the update. 

Crystal Ballin: New picks in for the Longhorns

Horns247 Staff

Spoiler

Crystal Ballin: New picks in for the Longhorns

Horns247 Staff

Sebastian Cheeks, LB, Evanston (Ill.) Township

Pick: Texas (Mike)

Confidence: 5

The Longhorns have gone all in on the interior linebacker from Chicago and a perfect storm is forming on the horizon that could allow Texas to take advantage. The Longhorns came into the year behind Midwest powers Michigan and Notre Dame, but things have changed significantly. Credit to Jeff Choate for the work he’s put in on this recruitment connecting with Cheeks and building a strong relationship. I think it’s also important to credit the Texas scheme for doing a good job of showing Cheeks a vision of how he could plugin. At the same time, Notre Dame seems to have backed off a bit while Michigan is in a state of disarray and turnover. Those factors combined are providing Texas with a window in which to strike. Sources are starting to show some real cautious optimism with him, and they could slam the door when he visits this summer. (Roach)

Jeremy Patton, LB, Tenaha

Pick: Texas (Mike and Nick)

Confidence: 7

Patton stays pretty quiet, but I think Texas has been able to move into a pretty strong position for the east Texas native. Patton’s future is still somewhat undetermined when it comes to fit, but I believe he ultimately ends up as an inside backer with the versatility to move outside if needed. Baylor, Michigan, Oklahoma State and Arkansas are other schools who have worked their way into the picture, but I believe that the Longhorns could slam the door on Patton after his visit this summer. (Roach)

One of the first visitors on campus on June 4-6, Tenaha athlete Jeremy Patton has shown increasing interest in the Longhorns since being offered in March. As Texas begins to really push for their linebacker targets, Patton has been one of the bigger priorities and that has been met with healthy interest on Patton's side. The biggest competition I see here is Oklahoma State and Arkansas. A visit to Michigan would throw them in the mix as well, but I see Texas as the clear favorite ahead of the June visit season. (Harris)

Ish Harris, LB, Pilot Point

Pick: Texas A&M (Mike and Nick)

Harris seems pretty taken with Texas A&M following a spring self-guided tour and subsequent recruitment, and the Aggies have done a great job selling him on both athletic fit and education. Texas has been doing well connecting with him, but Harris’ desire to study agricultural engineering makes A&M a heavy favorite to land him. (Roach)

Texas got involved recently with Pilot Point athlete Ish Harris, but I see this race trending too far in favor of the Aggies at this point. The real selling point is the agricultural engineering program at Texas A&M as well as his relationship with the Aggies coaching staff. (Harris)

Niuafe Tuihalamaka, LB, Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany

Pick: Notre Dame (Mike and Nick)

Confidence: 8

There’s been some buzz building between the Fighting Irish and the west coast defender that I’m not sure Texas can overcome. As the Longhorns have prioritized Cheeks, Notre Dame has prioritized Tuihalamaka. While he’s set for a trip to Texas in June, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him pull the trigger for the Irish and not end up making the Texas trip. The wind is blowing hard toward South Bend for the Polynesian backer. (Roach)

Despite a hard push from the Texas staff as well as Maalik Murphy, the momentum that Notre Dame has been able to build in the race for Niuafe Tuihalamaka seems too large at this point. The combination of academics and athletics has always been attractive to Tuihalamaka and his family as well as their history of developing Polynesian players. (Harris)

Brenen Thompson, WR, Spearman

Pick: Texas (Mike and Nick)

Confidence: 6

The Longhorns have stayed patient in pursuit of one of the state’s fastest prospects, and they’ve done an incredible job of connecting with his family. Clemson and Oklahoma State seem to be the chief competitors for Thompson, but the Longhorns can offer the proximity to his mother that Clemson can’t. Most folks we spoke with expect this to come down to Texas and Oklahoma State, and I love the way things are shaping up heading into the visit season. (Roach)

I was hesitant on making this pick until after Thompson took his visits, but the momentum that Texas has been able to build has allowed me to be confident here. Going back to when Tom Herman was on staff, the Thompson family has always been big on Texas. After Sarkisian had come on board and made Thompson a priority, it made the move even more likely. Clemson and Oklahoma State remain the biggest competition, and while he may commit before his senior season, this will be a recruitment that will go all the way to signing day with visits in the fall to Alabama and Clemson expected. (Harris)

Nic Anderson, WR, Katy

Pick: Notre Dame (Mike and Nick)

This might be a situation where regional schools look back in a few years and see they missed out on a great player. Anderson has been a really strong prospect this spring showing great technical ability and route running skill with a big frame. Texas didn’t pursue under Sarkisian, and Texas A&M only recently offered. Notre Dame has been in for a while, and they can sell NFL development and a plus education. (Roach)

I have called Nic Anderson the best route-runner in the state of Texas for quite some time, and I'm sticking to that. The Fighting Irish have seen similar high potential in Anderson and it has been met with a good level of interest. This is a receiver that I think could really shine for Notre Dame down the line and possibly even early in his career. While Texas A&M has offered recently, in-state schools haven't put a huge priority on him since the conclusion of his junior season. Oregon, USC and Texas A&M remain in the hunt, but I like where the Fighting Irish sit as of now. (Harris)

Zach Evans, RB, Rockwall-Heath

Pick: Minnesota (Nick)

Confidence: 8

I entered a pick yesterday in favor of Minnesota for Rockwall-Heath running back Zach Evans. While Texas sent out an offer shortly after Sarkisian was hired, they never pressed too hard on the hard-running back from DFW, and it allowed out-of-state Power Five schools to get involved. Minnesota has been able to pitch Evans on the success of Mohamed Ibrahim, a back that has a similar build and playing style as Evans. Houston also remains in the picture, but I see P.J. Fleck and the Golden Gophers winning out in the end.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Caught up with one of my buddies today and there's some decent enough stuff developing.

Citizen, for whatever reason, isn't in love with LSU. They've given every indication that they have higher priorities including the probably #1 RB in the country out of Mississippi. Y'all know how this shit goes. LSU could damned near show up the day before signing day and convince him that they love him and they need him. As of now, ATM and Texas are both good choices for a running back and it could come down to the ol'recruit-off between us and the farmtards. 

I will reiterate what I said when the news broke - I do not expect Blue to be in this class. It may turn out he probably won't be sitting next season out, either. Let's see if he doesn't wind up at a private school after being kicked off of his team. 

Don't expect a ton of commitments in June. Most will happen between the visits and summer practices for high schools starting. 

The big issue on both the recruit side and the coaching side across the country is that they don't actually know each other, so there is going to be a ton of sizing up going on. Expect guys who were locks to go somewhere to back off, either because the staff picked up some red flags or the player realized "nope, not for me". This will happen all over the country, which is why it is hilarious to see different $9.95ers predicting players to their schools with absolute certitude. You can go through and look at the "locks" we've been counting and see how that can work against our recruitnik dreams, but remember it is going to happen elsewhere too. 

The NJ recruit, the Vegas guys, the AZ guy that are all uncommitted but appearing as interested or visiting, they're complete wild cards. The DL in Vegas isn't being pushed heavily by USC, which owns Vegas when they're doing well. I laughed and said that Orlando not going after a guy is hardly the same as someone like Saban not going after a guy in his own backyard. It might even be a good thing. 

The Reno guy has baseball as his priority, so they may have already concluded that he doesn't love football. Not sure. 

Different folks have different views on where things are trending with Ewers. We might learn a lot shortly in two regards: 1) If Texas suddenly really makes a push for Samson, they're doing everything they can to land Ewers and 2) Manning visits the weekend of June 10th and the aftermath of that in whichever direction will have a bunch of dorks attempting to read tea leaves, but it should tell us something. 

This staff is going to go pretty deep into the review of their feel for a player's football intelligence and love for the sport as well as all of the measurables. If they determine an absolute standout doesn't love football or doesn't have the acumen or maturity they're looking for, they will back off. In fact, they view that as an issue with the Texas culture that they're working on fixing. Getting to UT doesn't mean you've made it. It means get to work on the field, in the weight room, and in the classroom. Otherwise, the world needs plenty of bartenders. 

The $9.95ers are pussies and Texas is landing Denver Harris and has a great shot at Brooks.

Forget Dewberry. Banks and Dewberry aren't exactly buddies and aren't likely to go to the same school. I can't remember if they play at the same school now or if they're just neighbors.

Neto is an unreliable narrator. Anyone talking about him with any certainty at this time is full of shit. 

Given that the Frisco guy wants to play C, he's someone everyone should move up their board in terms of priorities and how he'll be recruited. I don't know what the film says, but he's supposed to have a mean streak for a rich kid. 

Boardingham is a great evaluation and there's a decent chance that other major schools are going to get a lot more interested in him. 

If you've got Harold Perkins on your list, you're doing lists wrong.

I have to sit on one thing that is outright fucking hilarious and I cannot wait to pile onto down the line. It's recruit-related, not Warehime clogging a toilet type stuff, but come on.

Interesting stuff. I’d add just one thing the board probably already knows. Current recruits in play for Texas are saying Texas has silent commitments  from 3 “big time” players. Silent doesn’t mean much, but it’s better than no commitment. We can probably guess the three. 

27 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Interesting stuff. I’d add just one thing the board probably already knows. Current recruits in play for Texas are saying Texas has silent commitments  from 3 “big time” players. Silent doesn’t mean much, but it’s better than no commitment. We can probably guess the three. 

Bryce Anderson, Devon Campbell, Kelvin Banks? 

Looking at the LB offer list, doesn't seem like we hear much outside of Cheeks and Patton, who got Texas crystal ball picks today.  Some we have heard about we already know what's going on, like the Cali LB and ND, the Nevada kid and baseball, and the Perkins circus.  

11 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Looking at the LB offer list, doesn't seem like we hear much outside of Cheeks and Patton, who got Texas crystal ball picks today.  Some we have heard about we already know what's going on, like the Cali LB and ND, the Nevada kid and baseball, and the Perkins circus.  

So... our reporters are reporting on the guys who are most relevant to us?

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Best news I've read in a long time. 

12 hours ago, closetojumping said:

image.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

The original four silents were Bryan Allen, Jacoby Matthews, Bryce Anderson, and Kelvin Banks, iirc 

If you’re correct in there currently being three (with the understanding that silents don’t mean much right now), that means there’s one in there who wasn’t previously considered a silent, I think 

My guess would be Brenen Thompson, if it’s a big name like you say 

18 minutes ago, Fud said:

The original four silents were Bryan Allen, Jacoby Matthews, Bryce Anderson, and Kelvin Banks, iirc 

If you’re correct in there currently being three (with the understanding that silents don’t mean much right now), that means there’s one in there who wasn’t previously considered a silent, I think 

Isn't Brenen supposed to announce like July 4?

Also I think the other silent is Quinn Ewers, right @UncleBuck

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

Mike at Night: Intel from the Duncanville spring game

Spoiler

— I got to put eyes on recent Texas offensive line offer Cameron Williams. The great wall of Duncanville as I call him actually slimmed down a bit from the last time I saw him. Texas is definitely in on Williams and recruiting him as a priority with a visit upcoming. Texas had a bit of a late start into this recruitment but they've done a good job getting a relationship established and there's some thought they can make a big push on the visit in late June.

— The Longhorns are still swinging on elite edge rusher Omari Abor. I spoke with Abor for a long time tonight, and he did tell me he's still interested in Texas and wants to make a visit. Texas is a longshot in this race, but perhaps things could change with a visit. Abor is pretty booked up through the summer, so a visit would likely have to come during the week.

— In the next few days I'll put something together about how offensive line recruiting could ultimately shake out, but the early returns are pretty strong right now. Texas has been pretty barren when it comes to talent at that position, so it feels odd to say they will have to be picky but that might be the case. I know there have been some frustrations about recruiting there, but it would shock me if Texas doesn't come away with 4-5 good prospects up front. Kyle Flood has a ton of guys talking up Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Anderson, Banks, and Thompson would be a good guess. Harris would be my guess for the third if it isn't Thompson. OTOH, the third could be a not so big time OL.

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

— The Longhorns are still swinging on elite edge rusher Omari Abor. I spoke with Abor for a long time tonight, and he did tell me he's still interested in Texas and wants to make a visit. Texas is a longshot in this race, but perhaps things could change with a visit. Abor is pretty booked up through the summer, so a visit would likely have to come during the week.

The Longhorns are still swinging on elite edge rusher Omari Abor. I spoke with Abor for a long time tonight, and he did tell me he's still interested in Texas and wants to make a visit. Texas is a longshot in this race, but perhaps things could change with a visit. Abor is pretty booked up through the summer, so a visit would likely have to come during the week.

• Hook 'Em 2

IT

Spoiler

RECRUITING

OL Malik Agbo, Todd Beamer (Federal Way, WS) - 2022: The 6-foot-5.5, 320-pounder from the Pacific Northwest has two schools on his mind – LSU and Texas. Both programs have built strong relationships with the giant four-star.

He’s set to see Miami on June 4th-6th, LSU on June 11th-13th, and OU on June 18th-20th.

He hasn’t scheduled a visit to Austin yet, but tells IT he will.

We think LSU has a clear lead here, but UT is taking its swings and it’s at least somewhat interesting he says the Horns are in his top two despite not having a visit scheduled.

RB De’Anthony Gatson, Newton (Newton, TX) - 2022: The 5-foot-11, 208-pound ball-carrier will see Texas from June 4th-6th. UT offered recently and vaulted to the top of his list.

Gatson told IT that he not only grew up a Texas fan, he hopes to be a Longhorn, if everything works out.

He says Texas, USC, and Colorado have built the best relationships, and is eager to see each campus.

He wants to announce his commitment right before his senior season begins. The lightest push from Texas could put him in the class. The in-person eval could be big here.

DL Justice Finkley, Hewitt-Trussville (Trussville, AL) - 2022: Texas will use June to make plenty of evaluations on the defensive line. Yes, there are several targets the staff would take a commitment from off of tape and due diligence, but in-person measurements and evaluation will be huge in setting the board.

Based on talking to Finkley’s parents recently, IT believes Justice Finkley is going to impress the Texas staff.

The four-star defensive lineman will be tripping this summer, and his itinerary is set. He’ll see Colorado on June 11th-13th, then Michigan on June 18th-20th, and Austin on June on 25th-27th.

Academics matter to the Finkleys, and Texas has his attention. Academics matter, and the proof is he’s building strong relationships with Texas, Michigan, and Stanford, he tells IT.

Perry accumulated 146 tackles, 26 tackles for loss, 12 sacks, three forced fumbles, and two fumble recoveries over the last two seasons.

Finkley tells IT he’d like to make a decision after his visits, but nothing is set in stone.

DL Khurtiss Perry, Park Crossing (Montgomery, AL) - 2022: The 6-foot-3, 267-pound high four-star released his top six and Texas made the cut.

He has official visits set for Ohio State on June 4th-6th, LSU on June 18th-20th, and Texas on June 25th-27th. He’ll also see Alabama on June 1st and Auburn on June 2nd unofficially, and Central Florida on June 11th-13th.

Perry, a top-50 national recruit, holds 31 offers including Alabama, Michigan, Miami, and Tennessee. He told IT he speaks with UT regularly and they love him as a player and can’t wait to meet him in June.

DL Bear Alexander, Brewer (Fort Worth, TX) - 2022: Georgia verbal Bear Alexander is on the schedule for the June 18th weekend, but it’s unclear if the visit will be an official or unofficial visit. With that said, IT believes Texas A&M has the best chance to flip the four-star DT as of today. Alexander attended the Aggies spring game, and is expected back for an official visit. Until Alexander shows up for the Texas visit, IT will continue to say “scheduled.”

***Texas will also receive a June visit from fast rising DT Hero Kanu (Santa Margarita Catholic, CA). The 6-foot-5, 295-pounder originally from Germany has become a hot commodity with offers from the majority of national powers. June 11th is a likely date, but that could change.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting