Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This all seems pretty premature and reads like you’re reaching for program-specific reasons when something bigger is happening nationwide. A bunch of people said Herman would have to build up program prestige after the 2017 transition class when he got here and then he went out and landed an elite class right away. 

The reality is we don’t really have a clue what this class will look like because the 18 month long dead period and the announcement of it ending on 6/1 put a freeze on a recruiting in a way we’ve never seen before.

The staff was building some really good momentum before the announcement of OVs starting back up killed basically all recruiting, so let’s see what happens over the next 6 weeks. I won’t be surprised if we start trending for a bunch of guys and are headed for a really good top 5 class.

Facts.

I personally think this staff will truly earn it's check when the in person stuff happens. 

Although it seems like June will essentially be a speed dating period for a ton of recruits. Another odd occurrence that was created due to the extended dead period. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Dude. It's fine. It's not like any other schools are getting a flood of commitments. Almost everybody else is holding off until they can get in their visits. And I won't be at all surprised to see many more kids take all 5 visits. Gotta remember, they've been cooped up all year without being able to take fun trips just like the rest of us. If I were them, I'd be itching to make up for lost time in that regard. 

21 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Absolutely. Mack turned into hot garbage as a coach and recruiter after '09.

Trey Hopkins having to drive to Austin to beg for an offer

offering Taylor Doyle in a wheelchair

offering two Heisman trophy winning QBs at Safety

about the only good thing he did was recruit Justin Tucker in those final years

"they see me rollin', they hatin'" was one of the all-time great responses on any board anywhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My one concern, and I don't know if this is just pandemic gossip, is the rumor that Saban wants to stick his thumb in Sark's eye.  That's why the seeming laser-like focus Bama has on 2022 Texas DBs and WRs is a bit worrisome.  And considering that they have used Aledo as a farm system team, the Allen visit is more than a little disquieting.   But I do remain confident that this new coaching staff brings in a very good class.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, cafe society said:

My one concern, and I don't know if this is just pandemic gossip, is the rumor that Saban wants to stick his thumb in Sark's eye.  That's why the seeming laser-like focus Bama has on 2022 Texas DBs and WRs is a bit worrisome.  And considering that they have used Aledo as a farm system team, the Allen visit is more than a little disquieting.   But I do remain confident that this new coaching staff brings in a very good class.

It's not gossip. It's a well known fact for literally over a decade now that Saban loves to piss in the face of all his ex-assistants. It's the little extra juice that gets him out of bed in the morning. It's generally accepted truth just like Jimbo Fisher loves watching big ole' ballsacks bouncing off the asses of his wives and girlfriends. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

IT
Spoiler

We are in a unique cycle. Recruiting truly begins in June. For that reason, we’re going to include commits for the first time ever.
Commits
QB Maalik Murphy, Junipero Serra (Gardena, CA)
Justin Wells: 75%. Besides UCLA, I’m not sure who else pushes for him.
Gerry Hamilton: 95%
Eric Nahlin: 85%.
RB Jaydon Blue, Cain (Klein, TX)
JW: 50%. I think he plays his senior year.
GH: 40%. Could go higher depending on how things shake out in the next month or so. My bet is Blue plays his senior season somewhere.
EN: 30%. Ask me in August.
WR Armani Winfield, Lewisville (Lewisville, TX)
JW: 70%. He loves Texas, but he also wants to enjoy the fruits of recruiting and official visits.
GH: 80%. All kids want to make visits, and they absolutely should. So it gives programs a chance to chip away a little.
EN: 80%
DL Kristopher Ross, Galena Park North Shore (Houston, TX)
JW: 65%. TCU will make a push. Bo Davis just has to push back.
GH: 65%. Newly minted North Shore U is working hard to flip Ross. Plenty of good connections for Texas on this one to help fend off TCU, and possibly Oklahoma.
EN: 80%. “He’s a loyal guy,” said a source close to Ross.
DL Zac Swanson, Brophy College Preparatory (Phoenix, AZ)
JW: 80%
GH: 100%
EN: 85%. As long as they stay on him there should be no issues here.
LB Trevell Johnson, Martin (Arlington, TX)
JW: 85%. Most of those Martin boys like the Longhorns.
GH: 90%. Doesn’t win the eye test, but the tape is really good.
EN: 90%. Team leader mentality + great fit + UT being his best option = not concerned
DB Jaylon Guilbeau, Memorial (Port Arthur, TX)
JW: 50%. Guilbeau has been looking around since Sark took over.
GH: 65%. A recruitment that feels like it will always be shaky until an LOI is signed.
EN: 60%. If UT misses on one of T. Brooks and D. Harris I’m guessing they’ll work even harder on Guilbeau. For now he has A&M and TCU keeping tabs.
DB BJ Allen, Aledo (Aledo, TX)
JW: 60%. Today, I like Texas. Ask me again on 6/5.
GH: 51%. Alabama has feasted on Aledo prospects committed to other universities seen as competition.
EN: 60%. Of course the Bama visit isn’t ideal but there is good opportunity at Texas for immediate playing time.
Uncommitted
QB Quinn Ewers, Carroll (Southlake, TX) - OHIO STATE
JW: 33%. Everyone in his circle wants Texas. A part of him still does. If this happens, it might have to be after a B12 Championship.
GH: 20%. No doubt the parents and people closest want Texas, and believe Texas is the best place for Quinn. Not sure Quinn is buying into that.
EN: 40%. Because of where we are in the cycle, this is a tough situation to add the amount of context you guys deserve. We can say, when we bumped him to 60% not long ago, we heard a possible re-commitment was brewing before Arch Manning makes it to Austin.
*BONUS PERCENTAGE*
QB Arch Manning, Isidore Newman (New Orleans, LA) - 2023
JW: 45%. This pursuit trending up while Ewers trends down is probably not a coincidence.
GH: 40%. Texas is working from a position of strength, but the competition is fierce for the top quarterback prospects in the 2023 class.
EN: 50%. The mid-month visit looms extremely large. I think the post-visit percentage is more likely to trend up than down.
RB TreVonte’ Citizen, Lake Charles College Prep (Lake Charles, LA)
JW: 25%. LSU didn’t handle this well early, but I still think he’s the Tigers’ to lose. Maybe the Aggies make it interesting.
GH: 40%. Will Citizen leave the SEC? Texas A&M is working to make sure he doesn’t, and the recruitment of Jacoby Mathews should remind anyone what can happen late with the home state power.
EN: 33%. Drayton already loved Citizen; the Blue developments make him even more important. Bijan Robinson coupled with an inviting depth chart will give Texas some good selling points. A&M will be able to counter with Isaiah Spiller. LSU has Marie Laveau on its side.
RB Jamarion Miller, Legacy (Tyler, TX)
JW: 30%. Texas loves him and will continue to pursue. But getting back into UT lean status will be difficult.
GH: 20%. Hard to imagine that Miller is at 20%. Texas covets him, but there is work to be done.
EN: 40%. I think this recruitment is poised for a bounce back. They need to get him to campus.
RB Tavorus Jones, Burges (El Paso, TX)
JW: 75%. It’s Texas and I’m unsure who is the competition.
GH: 85%. If Texas tells Jones they want him in the class, hard to imagine it goes badly at this point.
EN: 75%. Will Texas push, but for real this time?
RB DeAnthony Gatson, Newton (Newton, TX)
JW: 55%. If Texas says yes, it’s over.
GH: 45%. If Gatson passes the eye test with the staff, this % could go up.
EN: 50%. His recruitment is probably directly tied to Citizen’s. That makes it hard to know where confidence should be.
WR Evan Stewart, Liberty (Frisco, TX)
JW: 55%. Despite his de-commitment, I’d still have Stewart as Texas-vs-field. He still likes the Longhorns too.
GH: 50%. Texas absolutely covets Stewart. This is considered a “must get” in the class.
EN: 50%. I keep going back to him telling IT that Texas will always get first crack at him.
WR Kevin Coleman, St. Mary's (St. Louis, MO)
JW: 10%. Probably Alabama.
GH: 15%. Unless Alabama goes another direction, tough to imagine Texas winning out here.
EN: 10%. He likes the scheme and will fit in well in Austin, but UT has a good shot to land both Evans and Brenen Thompson and wouldn’t land all three. Plus, Bama.
WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman (Spearman, TX)
JW: 60%. Texas is slowly separating from the pack.
GH: 51%. Like Stewart, Texas absolutely covets Thompson and his 10.4 speed. He’s considered one of the handful of “must get” prospects in the class at this point.
EN: 65%. He and Stewart would complement each other well which means selling them on being in the same class is doable.
WR Jordan Hudson, Garland High (Garland, TX)
JW: 30%. He’s more open than he lets on, but the Sooners are very good at holding on loosely.
GH: 25%. This was 50-50 a few weeks ago. Oklahoma has someone very close to Hudson (not a parent) working in their favor.
EN: 20%.
WR Shazz Preston, St. James (St. James, LA)
JW: 5%. He’ll make a visit, take some pictures, then commit elsewhere.
GH: 10%. The competition is Alabama, LSU and Georgia for a Pelican State WR. Thinking 10% may be too high.
EN: 5%.

WR CJ Williams, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA)
JW: 15%. Dozen better options within driving distance.
GH: 20%. Texas truly covets speed at receiver in the class.
EN: 15%. We’re probably too low on him as a player, but we don’t feel UT is pushing all that hard. This is a player Sarkisian is very familiar with. He’ll have the right read.
TE Arlis Boardingham, Birmingham (Van Nuys, CA)
JW: 50%. Texas might quietly lead here.
GH: 60%. Jumbo athlete whose father is a track coach. Sign me up, and that’s what the Texas staff is thinking as well.
EN: 50%. What’s throwing me for a loop here is Boardingham telling IT he talks to Banks every couple of weeks. We’ll be curious to see how the in-person evaluation and visit goes. That could be enough to put UT over the top.
TE Tommy McIntosh, Dewitt (Dewitt, MI)
JW: 20%. He likes Texas, but if they take one tight end, it’s probably not him.
GH: 15%. Boardingham is the one coveted most.
EN: 10%.
OL Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (Humble, TX)
JW: 75%. I still like UT’s chances here. A lot.
GH: 75%. Barring a major change, Texas chances remain very good here.
EN: 80%. The only thing giving me pause is the size of Texas. He’s mentioned preferring smaller environments, but that was long ago.
OL Devon Campbell, Bowie (Arlington, TX)
JW: 75%. Texas has been strong here from the get-go, and Campbell has seen Austin the most.
GH: 75%. Like Banks, Texas is working from a very good spot here. Would be an upset if Campbell went far from home, and that wasn’t Texas. Oklahoma and now Texas A&M will try hard, however.
EN: 85%. To tell you how good Kyle Flood’s chances are, Herb Hand would have had a chance in this one.
OL Cole Hutson, Frisco High (Frisco, TX)
JW: 60%. UT’s top competition will be OU and A&M, unless Alabama makes noise. We should have an answer after his trips.
GH: 60%. It’s going to be close to home unless Alabama comes in late. Like Texas’ chances over Texas A&M and Oklahoma, as of today.
EN: 60%. Wanting to play center could be what puts him over the top with Texas.
OL Neto Umeozulu, Allen (Allen, TX)
JW: 39%. Texas has slowly but surely made an impression on Umeozulu. Just curious how much Alabama pushes.
GH: 33%. A true wild card recruitment. Neto loves leaving everyone guessing. If Texas gets him on campus in June, the % will go up.
EN: 45%. If UT can win over the parents, which is doable, then Flood will have pulled off a big upset in the class.
OL Conner Robertson, Westlake (Austin, TX)
JW: 45%. Texas has proximity, familiarity, and convenience. But I get the sense he’d like to leave the state.
GH: 50%. Close to home in a very good offense vs. heading to Stanford to play in an antiquated offense. Texas has a better shot at the Stanford battles under this staff moving forward.
EN: 40%. I’d be surprised if both Hutson and Robertson ended up in the class.
OL Cameron Williams, Duncanville (Duncanville, TX)
JW: 45%. When we asked Williams what was the one school he wanted to hear from, he said Texas. He got his wish and UT got its chance.
GH: 40%. This is a recruitment Texas has the ability to win.
EN: 40%. It would be hilarious if Texas landed an o-lineman each from Allen and Duncanville. What a sea change that would be.
OL Malik Agbo, Todd Beamer (Federal Way, WA)
JW: 25%. It feels like Texas has a shot, but I need more proof.
GH: 30%. Unless the LSU visit goes poorly, the Tigers are a pretty decent betting favorite. Miami and Oklahoma are right there with Texas hoping LSU fades.
EN: 40%. If he’s not already mentally locked into LSU, this one could get really interesting.
OL Kameron Dewberry, Atascocita (Humble, TX)
JW: 35%
GH: 20%
EN: 33%. With good o-line play and a good season, Texas can win out. He really liked Texas growing up and having the “Alabama” offense at Texas is a big plus.
DL Bear Alexander, Brewer (Fort Worth, TX) - GEORGIA
JW: 8%. I don’t know where he’ll sign, but my money is on him hitting the portal at some point.
GH: 5%. This feels like a good ole Texas A&M, Alabama, and Georgia trench battle at this point.
DL Jaray Bledsoe, Bremond (Bremond, TX)
JW: 25%. The big kid is a big target on many big boards. Texas needs to be big here.
GH: 25%. A total wildcard recruitment due to lack of communication with all schools. Texas A&M in best position to hold, and win out here. Alabama currently has Bledsoe’s attention.
EN: 25%. Need to win over mom to give UT an advocate at home. Bo Davis has made some strides in that department.
DL Khurtiss Perry, Park Crossing (Montgomery, AL
JW: 5%. Give Texas credit for trying, I suppose.
GH: 1%. I’ll go higher if Nick Saban retires June 1, or Auburn shuts down the football program.
EN: 1%. Might as well target Kurtis Blow.
DL Aaron Bryant, Southaven (Southaven, MS)
JW: 25%. Tough pull from SEC country. But he’s listening.
GH: 20%. Again, Texas battling SEC powers for a prospect from Mississippi. Bo Davis being from Mississippi, and having some really good connections provides the staff good intel.
EN: 20%. He’s definitely worth the effort but SEC schools know he’s better than his ranking suggests.
OLB Justice Finkley, Hewitt-Trussville (Trussville, AL)
JW: 48%. Finkley talks up Texas often. Academics actually helps here.
GH: 50%. Unless Alabama truly pushes, a battle with Michigan is winnable.
EN: 55%. UT can pull this one off thanks to Finkley’s prioritization of academics.
OLB Anthony Jones, Liberty (Las Vegas, NV)
JW: 25%. Jones is a throwback type, and he might play closer to home.
GH: 25%. Texas can win recruitments out west, and this one will be having to beat out Oregon and possibly USC.
EN: 50%. We might all be low here. This will be a huge visit. Like Bryant, he’s underrated by the networks.
LB Sebastian Cheeks, Evanston Township (Evanston, IL)
JW: 38%. If Cheeks loves Austin, this one gets fun, and Notre Dame might fill up.
GH: 33%. Sure Notre Dame is in it, but something about a possible Mack Brown vs. Texas recruitment makes this a top 5 for me in the 2022 cycle.
EN: 60%. Texas should be able to eclipse Notre Dame’s intensity in this recruitment. Word is Cheeks liked UT the school before recruiting was a big part of the equation.
LB Martrell Harris, The Woodlands (The Woodlands, TX) — Might need to scratch him from this exercise
JW: 10%. I think Texas has its priority targets already.
GH: 5%. Texas A&M’s if they want him, and he’s making an OV June 18-20.
LB Harold Perkins, Cypress Park (Cypress, TX)
JW: 20%. I don’t think Perkins leaves the state, but it’s difficult to see him in Austin right now.
GH: 20%. This is a recruitment Texas just needs to hang around the rim, and Jeff Banks is doing just that.
EN: 10%.
LB Jeremy Patton, Tenaha (Tenaha, TX)
JW: 75%. As soon as Texas offered, Patton was seeing burnt orange. UT’s staff is doing a great job here.
GH: 55%. When leaving Tenaha last season, the prevailing thought was four schools had the best shot at Patton - Alabama, Texas, LSU or Texas A&M. Nothing has changed, and the Longhorns are the school of the four that covets Patton.
EN: 75%. Would Texas take both Patton and Cheeks? Probably so.
LB Ish Harris, Pilot Point (Pilot Point, TX)
JW: 25%. Nice talent but a better fit elsewhere.
GH: 30%. Texas A&M says he can play RB, LB, QB, WR, LT, EDGE, K, P and return kicks. Oklahoma will flash hardware.
EN: 10%. A&M, imo.
CB Terrance Brooks, John Paul II (Plano, TX)
JW: 35%. I can’t see Alabama not getting at least one of Brooks or Denver Harris. Texas needs the split.
GH: 45%. Alabama HS Nick Saban is perceived as the best place a DB can go and develop, and player development is the driving force behind Brooks’ decision.
EN: 50%. This one requires some reading of the tea leaves and I go back and forth on what they’re sating.
CB Denver Harris, North Shore (Houston, TX)
JW: 45%. Nick Saban made this personal. Harris is a must-get.
GH: 45%. Texas can’t afford to lose out on Brooks and Harris to Alabama. Better win one.
EN: 50%. ”It’s going to come down to the wire.” It’s impossible to know which way this one will go. Each side is concerned about the other.
DB Bryce Anderson, West Brook (Beaumont, TX)
JW: 70%. This has been trending Texas for awhile. Beware of Bama.
GH: 65%. Alabama making a strong run, but Texas working from a position of strength headed into June. Putting out a commitment date of July 4th provides a very nice target for the competition.
EN: 70%. Losing Anderson to Bama would be the worst beat of the cycle. I don’t think it happens but you can’t rule it out.

Lmao Texas at 50 percent vs the field for Arch Manning. Okay.

IT

Spoiler

OL Neto Umeozulu, Allen (Allen, TX) - 2022:

One target Texas seems to be making headway with is the senior-to-be from Allen.

The 6-foot-4, 300-pound offensive lineman will be in Austin on June 5th, per a source. He wants to take an unofficial this Saturday, and if he likes what he sees, possibly return in the official capacity this fall. The two-sport athlete in football and track and field (shot put) was named District 5-6A Offensive Lineman of the Year in 2020.

Umeozulu tells IT he's in contact with Kyle Flood and Steve Sarkisian often, but he also has good relationships with Oklahoma and Alabama.

"The Texas staff expressed great feelings towards me," Neto told IT. "I'm looking forward to coming back to Austin."

The four-star took a student trip to Texas in March, and is making another trip this weekend once again on his dime.

He's been back-and-forth on his summer schedule, but he'll certainly see Norman, OK and Tuscaloosa, AL in the next few months as well.

LB Jeremy Patton, Tenaha (Tenaha, TX) - 2022: The recruitment of Jeremy Patton will begin in earnest this weekend with an official visit to Texas. The last time Patton was seen by college coaches, he was between 185 and 190 pounds. After playing at 205-ish last season, Patton will step on campus this weekend as a 6-foot-2, 225-pound prospect that will play inside linebacker and be a jack-of-all-trades on offense for Tenaha as a senior.

The real key for Texas winning out for Patton (who a source very close says Patton will love the atmosphere and big city of Austin) will be his unofficial visit to LSU and camp visit at Alabama in late June. IT is going to be very blunt: the close source said if Alabama offers, the recruitment is over.

While Baylor and Michigan have been working from a position of strength, the source believes this recruitment will ultimately come down to Texas and LSU should the Tigers make the same push Texas is making.

For those wondering, all programs are recruiting Patton as an inside linebacker at this point.

Defensive Back Recruiting

Defensive back recruiting will have the attention of Texas fans in June and early July, and for good reason. Alabama is pushing hard for the top four defensive back prospects on the board in Austin - Texas commit Bryan Allen Jr. (Aledo), Bryce Anderson (Beaumont West Brook), Terrance Brooks (John Paul II), and Denver Harris (North Shore).

Starting with Allen, the Longhorns offered little brother Jaden Allen today ahead of a June 5th visit to Tuscaloosa. The father is a die-hard Texas fan, and up to this point Bryan Allen Jr. has preferred to stay closer to home. UT's message was clear to the 2024 product.

"Just that (Texas) watched my tape and talked to my head coach," said soon-to-be-sophomore Jaden Allen. "UT loved everything about me."

The visit to Alabama will feature former Aledo teammates Jase McClellan and JoJo Earle, plus Nick Saban and Jay Valai selling Saban’s DB development.

The recruitment of Anderson still looks very positive for the Longhorns headed into OV’s to Texas A&M June 4-6, Alabama June 18-20, and Texas June 25-27.

Before the June OV’s, Alabama is feeling very confident about beating out Texas for Brooks. There is a feeling of when, not if, Brooks will commit to the Crimson Tide following June OV’s.

Of course, the visit process has yet to begin, but Texas needs to turn the tide in the Brooks recruitment.

Roach

Spoiler

— Four-star Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany linebacker Niuafe Tuihalamaka announced that his official visit to Texas would be this weekend. Tuihalmaka was originally scheduled for June 18-20, but he decided to move the trip forward. This wasn't exactly a surprise as we've heard that Tuihalmaka wanted to make his commitment before mid-summer. Though things could change on this visit, I feel Notre Dame is still in the driver's seat here.

— Allen OL Neto Umeozulu confirmed with me earlier this week that he is likely to be on campus for this weekend. He didn't specify the date, but we expect him to be in Austin on June 5 for an unofficial trip. No word on if his parents will join him on the trip or not, but this could be a big moment for Texas in his recruitment. Umeozulu has been tough for folks to get a handle on and Texas is working to crack his tough exterior. A good trip this weekend would go a long way to the Longhorns sticking in the race for him.

— One new name to keep an eye on is Pflugerville Hendrickson DL Cedric Roberts. The three-star prospect recently de-committed from Baylor, and several big schools are working to get in contact with him. Several Texas coaches began following Roberts, and he plans to make a trip to campus sometime this week. Friday looks like the target date for Roberts to make it to campus, and we will continue to monitor his situation to see if he eventually emerges as an option for the Longhorns.

— 2022 Southlake Carroll DB Avyonne Jones is increasing contact with the Texas staff, and it sounds like a trip to Austin is definitely in his future. In speaking with his father, it sounds like Jones could be in Austin this weekend to meet with the Texas coaches and discuss the future. They are still working the schedule out, but Friday could be the day if it works out.

— Aledo cornerback Jaden Allen was the first in-state offer for the Longhorns in 2024. The brother of Texas commit Bryan Allen Jr. was one of the best freshmen I saw last year. Jaden and I traded messages a bit today, and he said he really likes Blake Gideon who has been able to do a great job with the family. Texas is in a fight for Allen with Alabama coming on but I don't expect them to go away easily.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Usain Bolt in pads might get there in 8 seconds. 

Yah, they're definitely not getting 79 yards in 5-6 seconds, simple 40 time math tells me that. What I was meaning to explain, is that it might take that receiver 5-6 seconds to get to the point on the field where when the QB does release the ball it can hit them in stride at 79 yds. Basically trying to explain/figure out how long at minimum the QB has to hold the ball before throwing. 6 seconds is a long time, and especially so given that you've got to maximize all of your body perfectly to get it that far, so you can't be scrambling away to the oppo sideline and throwing 79 yards across your body, etc... It has to be nearly perfect.

Obviously this is all a bit nit-picky on my part, as there aren't going to be many 79 yard routes (which is kinda the point). But obviously 79 yards for a junior in HS is impressive. That's big arm NFL QB shit right there.

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah, they're definitely not getting 79 yards in 5-6 seconds, simple 40 time math tells me that. What I was meaning to explain, is that it might take that receiver 5-6 seconds to get to the point on the field where when the QB does release the ball it can hit them in stride at 79 yds. Basically trying to explain/figure out how long at minimum (which would be in stride) the QB has to hold the ball before throwing. 6 seconds is a long time, and especially so given that you've got to maximize all of your body perfectly to get it that far, so you can't be scrambling away to the oppo sideline and throwing 79 yards across your body. It has to be nearly perfect.

Obviously this is all a bit nit-picky on my part, as there aren't going to be many 79 yard routes (which is kinda the point). But obviously 79 yards for a junior in HS is impressive. That's big arm NFL QB shit right there.

I figured you meant something like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

(Gerry Hamilton) Where are Texas targets visiting this weekend?

Spoiler

The Texas staff will host dozens of unofficial visitors throughout the week before hosting four official visitors over the weekend.

Today, IT checks in on where Texas 2022 targets will be this weekend.

Texas OVs June 4-6:
RB TreVonte’ Citizen, Lake Charles Prep (LA)

RB DeAnthony Gatson, Newton (TX)

EDGE/LB Derrick Brown, Texas High (TX)

ILB Jeremy Patton, Tenaha (TX)

ILB Niuafe Tuihalamaka, Bishop Alemany (CA)

Texas UOV June 5-6:
OT/G Neto Umeozulu, Allen (TX)

Oklahoma State OV June 1-2:
LB Trevell Johnson, Arlington Martin (TX)
*Texas OV June 18-20

Texas A&M OVs June 4-6:
DT Jaray Bledsoe, Bremond (TX)

DT Anthony Lucas, Scottsdale Chaparral (AZ)

OLB Harold Perkins, Cy Park

DB Bryce Anderson, Beaumont West Brook
*Texas OV June 25-27

CB Denver Harris, North Shore
*Texas OV June 18-20

Alabama OVs June 4-6:
OT Jacob Sexton, Deer Creek (OK)

Alabama UOV June 5:
S Bryan Allen Jr., Aledo (TX)
*Texas OV June 18-20

Alabama UOV June 1:
DT Khurtiss Perry, Park Crossing (AL)
*Texas OV June 25-27

Auburn UOV June 2:
*Texas OV June 25-27

LSU OVs June 4-6:
OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (TX)
*Texas OV June 18-20

OT/G Kam Dewberry, Atascocita (TX)

Florida OVs June 4-6:
WR Evan Stewart, Frisco Liberty (TX)

WR/CB Isaiah Bond, Buford (GA) - Gators verbal
*Texas OV June 25-27

Georgia OVs June 4-6:
DT Aaron Bryant, Southaven (MS)
*Texas OV June 25-27

Georgia UOV June 1-2:
DT Bear Alexander, Brewer (TX) - Georgia verbal

Ohio State OVs June 4-6:
QB Quinn Ewers, Southlake Carroll (TX)

DE Omari Abor, Duncanville (TX)

*Texas OV June 25-27

Oregon OVs June 4-6:
OL Cameron Williams, Duncanville (TX)
*Texas June 25-27

LB T.J. Dudley, Montgomery Catholic (AL)
*Texas June 25-27

CB Terrance Brooks, Plano John Paul II
*Texas OV June 18-20

USC OVs June 4-6:
WR Shazz Preston, St. James (LA)
*Texas June 18-20

OG Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie (TX)
*Texas UOV in June

Miami OVs June 4-6:
OT Malik Agbo, Todd Beamer (WA)

OLB Anthony Jones, Liberty (NV)
*Texas OV June 11-13

North Carolina OVs June 4-6:
LB Sebastian Cheeks, Evanston Township (IL)
*Texas OV June 11-13

• Hook 'Em 2

IT

Spoiler

Lander Barton

The low four-star from Salt Lake City (Brighton) was offered by Texas on April 8th. If you liked Robby Snelling as a longer, versatile LB, from a dry, high desert climate, you’ll love this dude. Opposing teams might want to locate him pre-snap. He’s pretty effective on the blitz.

What makes Barton interesting is, at 6-foot-4 he has the length to play OLB, but he might also possess the movement skills to play inside.

As a four-star he’s too highly regarded to be considered a PK special but you see some of the qualities the Texas defensive coordinator was able to uncover while at Boise St and Washington.

The coaches appear to covet length at the Mike linebacker position, and if that position doesn’t work out, there’s always the possibility of playing X.

Barton says he talks to Texas once or twice a week. We think a visit is likely.

Texas is up against fellow academic football blue bloods USC, Michigan and Notre Dame, as well as LSU and instate Utah.

Quality campers

DB Peyton Williams, Rockwall-Heath (Rockwall, TX) - 2022: Williams is a quality safety with good tape. The staff getting a feel for size and speed will be key. If he meets the specs they’re looking for, he could be in line for an offer.

Williams will make an unofficial visit to Texas on Saturday (June 5th) and have a private workout with Blake Gideon. You can bet he’ll have more eyes on him than just the young safeties coach.

DL Cedric Roberts, Hendrickson (Pflugerville, TX) - 2022: He just recently de-committed from Baylor and he has impressive tape. If he measures out he might be too good to not offer, despite Texas already having two similar fits in Kris Ross and Zac Swanson.

He’s camping on Friday, June 4th.

OLB David Oke, Alief Hastings (Houston, TX) - 2022: Oke will make an unofficial visit to Texas on June 8th for a private workout with Pete Kwiatkowski. He looks to be an X-OLB in the Texas scheme.

Oke told IT, “I'm hearing from WSU, Colorado State, Duke, La Tech, Tennessee, and Texas.”

He will also workout at Tennessee.

He lacks height but has a lot of other attributes, including good length: 6-1.5, 224, 79.5 wingspan, 9.5 hand, 13.5 shoe, 4.55 laser shuttle, 4.71 laser 40. Still 16, doesn’t turn 17 until late August.

ATH Dillon Bell, The Kinkaid School (Houston, TX) - 2022: Now this is interesting. He’s made his name playing receiver but the build screams linebacker. IT ranked him the #47 player in the state in late January, so he’s already viewed to be in offer territory.

ATH Micah Bell, The Kinkaid School (Houston, TX)- 2023: This is Dillon’s little brother, and like big bro, he plays offense but has the look of a college defender. Micah is smaller, though, and would probably be a corner. Receiver isn’t out of the realm of possibility. He has quick feet and is fluid. He’s already picked up a Florida offer and several other solid options.

Both Bells have the ability to earn offers.

We’ll have much more on campers as we come across information.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting