Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Posted this in the other thread but this is actually quite relevant since LSU is after Malik Agbo and Kelvin Banks and Dewberry are visiting LSU this weekend.

Yet another data point in favor of the Ogre herping and derping his way on the backs of his assistants to a national title.

IT

Spoiler

OL Jacob Sexton, Deer Creek (Edmond, OK) - 2022:

It's not a forgone conclusion that the 6-foot-5, 285-pound four-star is going to Oklahoma.

Despite his proximity, Sexton has kept an open mind throughout the process and will now see Austin for an official visit. He'll be at UT on June 11th-13th.

The three-sport athlete in football, wrestling, and track and field (shot put, discus) holds 19 offers, and dropped his top five in February; Texas, OU, Alabama, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State.

Sexton's father grew up in Texas and grew up a Longhorns fan. Kyle Flood is making this interesting, as they speak at least every week or two, Sexton told IT.

"I'll be releasing my visits as we get closer to the time because I'm still setting up days," said Sexton.

He's tentatively set to see Alabama this weekend, and Oklahoma State on June 16th.

While OU may hold the cards here, this recruitment is far from over. Texas is making sure.

RB DeAnthony Gatson, Newton (Newton, TX) - 2022:

Tackling this three-star tailback can be a tall task. At 5-foot-11, 208 pounds, the east Texas-raised prospect enjoys the challenge.

After punishing most of the Eagles opponents’ defenses in 2020, his ability to play at the next level increased.

Gatson holds 14 offers including Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa State, TCU, and USC. But this one might be over if Texas likes what they see.

He’s seeing Texas for his first official visit this weekend - June 4th-6th. That's when the in-person evaluation begins.

“I am looking for a place that I can be myself, a place that I know that I can walk outside and feel safe,” said Gatson.

Even with the college attention, nothing hit harder than that Texas verbal invitation recently.

“Texas has always been my dream college,” said Gatson. “I love UT. I want see everything they have to offer me. I just want to enjoy myself, and hopefully one day, become a Longhorn. If it’s the right decision.”

Even after the breakout junior campaign, Gatson sees weaknesses that must improve.

“Ball security,” Gatson said. “Last year I had two fumbles in games. I never should’ve fumbled. (ball security) would improve my game to another level.”

There’s a number of schools separating from the pack.

“Texas, Colorado, USC have been hitting me up a lot,” Gatson mentioned. “The relationships are getting stronger each day and I love it.”

His timeline has been consistent.

“Right before the season starts, I should know,” said Gatson. “That’s the plan anyway.”

We'll have more from the ETX native post-OV.

Why cut Cregg loose over allegations?  Not really thinking the NCAA is all that concerned with LSU and the SEC, or it's nothing a single game self suspension against named opponent can't fix.  The NCAA is probably more concerned with Buffalo's players migrating to Kansas.    

Edited by Mdhorn

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Would he take that job, will he be a top target, etc. He preserves some recruiting relationships and has spent time at lsu. It’s a sinking ship, idk if he’d go.

This is what their 247 mod just posted

Spoiler

Alex Atkins - FLORIDA STATE OFFENSIVE LINE COACH

In his first season with the Seminoles, Atkins led a young group that blocked for a top-20 rushing offense while featuring nine different starters making up six different starting lineups in nine games. Robert Scott, Jr., and Maurice Smith were both recognized among the best freshmen in the country as Scott earned True Freshman All-America honors from 247Sports.

Atkins served as Charlotte’s offensive coordinator and offensive line coach in 2019, in which Charlotte allowed just 1.62 sacks per game, after three years as assistant head coach and offensive line coach at Tulane. He also has Division I experience at Georgia Southern, Chattanooga, Marshall and UT-Martin. He's a young, well-respected up and comer who has some ties to South Louisiana as well. He's recruiting Armella as well as four-star Baton Rouge (La.) Catholic offensive lineman Emery Jones.

KEVIN MAWAE - INDIANAPOLIS COLTS ASSISTANT OFFENSIVE LINE COACH

One of the easiest moves would be to hire former LSU offensive lineman and NFL Hall of Famer Kevin Mawae, an assistant offensive line coach with the Indianapolis Colts, just being hired this offseason.

Mawae was an offensive analyst with Arizona State from 2018-20 after serving as assistant offensive line coach with the Chicago Bears in 2016. While he's yet to hit the recruiting trail and hasn't been a head offensive line coach, his playing credentials are more than impressive.

Mawae served as the interim tight ends coach during ASU’s Sun Bowl preparations in 2019. He earned First Team All-Pro honors six times while being named to the Pro Bowl eight times. He is a member of the NFL 2000s All-Decade Team, named to the First Team All-Decade as a center. His 238 career starts places him fifth among offensive lineman in NFL history in that category.

ERIC MATEOS - BAYLOR OFFENSIVE LINE COACH

The newly hired Baylor offensive line coach, Mateos molded a BYU offensive line that anchored one of the top offenses in the country in 2020. BYU finished its season ranked in the top 15 in 10 different statistical categories including scoring (3rd, 43.5 ppg), total offense (7th, 522.2 ypg) and passing offense (8th, 332.1 ppg).

Led by Consensus All-American tackle Brady Christensen, the BYU offensive line allowed only 12 sacks in 12 games, the eighth-best per game average in the country, and helped the Cougars to the fourth-most rushing touchdowns nationally with 34.

He's also had a brief stint as LSU tight ends coach in 2016 after beginning the season as a graduate assistant under Jeff Grimes before LSU fired Cam Cameron. He served two seasons as Texas State's offensive line coach in 2017-18.

53 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Why cut Cregg loose over allegations?  Not really thinking the NCAA is all that concerned with LSU and the SEC, or it's nothing a single game self suspension against named opponent can't fix.  The NCAA is probably more concerned with Buffalo's players migrating to Kansas.    

I mean, it's not like the NCAA has an audio recording of him making a strong ass offer. So why bother letting him go at this point? 

24 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Would he take that job, will he be a top target, etc. He preserves some recruiting relationships and has spent time at lsu. It’s a sinking ship, idk if he’d go.

It's gonna be a problem either way because coaching candidates (unless they're currently unemployed) are gonna be advised by their agents to wait and see because of the decent chance that LSU is a sinking ship.

And the Bayou Bengal faithful are delusional, Kevin Mawae is NOT leaving his assistant OL coach position with the Indianapolis Colts for Baton Rouge. He was out of the NFL for nearly four years and just got hired back into NFL this past February. Not happening. 

10 hours ago, Machinator said:

ERIC MATEOS - BAYLOR OFFENSIVE LINE COACH

The newly hired Baylor offensive line coach, Mateos molded a BYU offensive line that anchored one of the top offenses in the country in 2020. BYU finished its season ranked in the top 15 in 10 different statistical categories including scoring (3rd, 43.5 ppg), total offense (7th, 522.2 ypg) and passing offense (8th, 332.1 ppg).

Led by Consensus All-American tackle Brady Christensen, the BYU offensive line allowed only 12 sacks in 12 games, the eighth-best per game average in the country, and helped the Cougars to the fourth-most rushing touchdowns nationally with 34.

He's also had a brief stint as LSU tight ends coach in 2016 after beginning the season as a graduate assistant under Jeff Grimes before LSU fired Cam Cameron. He served two seasons as Texas State's offensive line coach in 2017-18.

He's been recruiting Neto at Baylor 

10 hours ago, Machinator said:

This is what their 247 mod just posted

Hide contents

Alex Atkins - FLORIDA STATE OFFENSIVE LINE COACH

In his first season with the Seminoles, Atkins led a young group that blocked for a top-20 rushing offense while featuring nine different starters making up six different starting lineups in nine games. Robert Scott, Jr., and Maurice Smith were both recognized among the best freshmen in the country as Scott earned True Freshman All-America honors from 247Sports.

"top 20 rushing offense"

they were the #95 OFEI team last year, i knew they were not good but had no clue FSU was THAT bad.

Gerry rank the OL we're in on, now that Neto, Sexton, Williams, and Agbo seem like real possibilities (Dewberry might not be, but we'll include him)

OT/G
Neto
Banks
Sexton
Dewberry
Cam Williams
Agbo

OG/C
Campbell
Hutson
Robertson

So best case scenario right now is probably a Banks-Campbell-Hutson-Neto-Sexton class, with Williams as the hopeful OT/G guard contingency, and Robertson the backup plan at center 

• Hook 'Em 5

Gerry

Spoiler

Inside Texas is adding another visitor for the weekend of June 11-13. Alexandria High (LA) 2022 DT J’mari Monette told IT that he will be in Austin the second weekend in June on an unofficial visit. The 6-foot-4, 270 pounder has Power 5 offers from Baylor, Mississippi State and Indiana currently.

Liberty High (NV) 2022 big athlete Anthony Jones will make his first official visit this weekend to Miami. The near 6-foot-5, 240-pound tight end and outside linebacker is intrigued with the Hurricanes because he is being recruited as a TE only, which is his preference according to a source very close to Jones’ recruitment. The one-time Washington verbal will want to hear a similar pitch from the Texas staff when in Austin June 11-13 according to the source. Texas sees Jones as an OLB/EDGE prospect that can also project to tight end. Oregon recruiting Jones exclusively as an EDGE prospect to this point has knocked them down the list. USC already has a TE verbal, so the source is unsure where the Trojans would fit into Jones’ recruitment At this time.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting