Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

CJ Vogel

Spoiler

There were plenty of names that popped up on campus this afternoon that may come as a surprise to many.

*** The first comes in the form of 2022 Carrollton Creekview TE Sean Sallis. The 6’5″, 220 lb tight end made the trip south after camping at Minnesota yesterday.

A source tells me, though it was raining, Sallis received a tour of campus and the facilities from members of the recruiting staff. Sallis leaving with an offer would not surprised me.

• Like 1

Joe Cook on Guilbeau

Spoiler

2022 Port Arthur Memorial DB and Texas commit Jaylon Guilbeau made the trip to Austin today with teammates from Fast 7on7.

He said he was able to sit down one-on-one with Steve Sarkisian, and really enjoyed the time he spent on the Forty Acres.

So much so that in addition to his official visit on the 25th, he plans to be in Austin again next weekend. “I’m at home, so why not keep coming just because?”

He said his commitment status is “100 percent,” and that the visit today made a big impact.

Guilbeau mentioned he maintains contact with other members of the class, and his current focus is recruiting Bryce Anderson to Texas.

• Hook 'Em 9

Roach

Spoiler

— Carrollton Creekview TE Sean Sallis made it to Austin today after waking up in Minnesota. Sallis camped with the Gophers yesterday and flew straight home to drive to Austin. He'll head home tonight and start an official visit with UCONN. The visit went well from what I was told. One thing that stood out to the family was how upfront and honest the staff was about where they saw him and how he ranked on their board. I was told his parents came away extremely impressed with Jeff Banks. Sallis didn't compete at camp, but he's likely to return for a workout in the next few weeks.

— Four-star Atascocita OL Kam Dewberry confirmed with me today that he would be in Austin for an unofficial visit next weekend.  Dewberry has been trying to figure out how to fit all of his finalists into a visit, and he felt that Texas was close enough and the school he'd seen more than any other so he could take an unofficial.  He told me he plans to treat this weekend like an official with the only difference being he will be paying his own way.  I'm usually dubious on a kid picking a school without visiting officially, but I feel this is somewhat of a different case.  Texas will still need to do some work.

— Alief Taylor speedster Tyler King is one of the candidates for best camper of the night.  I heard King tested very well which isn't shocking given his numbers on the track, and I was told he excelled in drill work.  The Texas staff is definitely interested in finding more speed and the 2022 receiver has that in bunches.  I was told he'll likely return to campus and could camp again as he tries to earn an offer from the Longhorns.  This is one candidate I'd watch for an offer.

- The trip went really well for Texas commit Jaylon Guilbeau.  Recently he had been wavering in his commitment a bit but it sounds like this trip solidified everything.  Guilbeau spent time with Terry Joseph and had a long conversation with Steve Sarkisian.  He will be back next week unofficially and again at the end of the month officially.  He does still plan to take a couple of trips but I think his commitment is firm.

10 hours ago, Machinator said:

Roach

Hide contents

— Carrollton Creekview TE Sean Sallis made it to Austin today after waking up in Minnesota. Sallis camped with the Gophers yesterday and flew straight home to drive to Austin. He'll head home tonight and start an official visit with UCONN. The visit went well from what I was told. One thing that stood out to the family was how upfront and honest the staff was about where they saw him and how he ranked on their board. I was told his parents came away extremely impressed with Jeff Banks. Sallis didn't compete at camp, but he's likely to return for a workout in the next few weeks.

— Four-star Atascocita OL Kam Dewberry confirmed with me today that he would be in Austin for an unofficial visit next weekend.  Dewberry has been trying to figure out how to fit all of his finalists into a visit, and he felt that Texas was close enough and the school he'd seen more than any other so he could take an unofficial.  He told me he plans to treat this weekend like an official with the only difference being he will be paying his own way.  I'm usually dubious on a kid picking a school without visiting officially, but I feel this is somewhat of a different case.  Texas will still need to do some work.

— Alief Taylor speedster Tyler King is one of the candidates for best camper of the night.  I heard King tested very well which isn't shocking given his numbers on the track, and I was told he excelled in drill work.  The Texas staff is definitely interested in finding more speed and the 2022 receiver has that in bunches.  I was told he'll likely return to campus and could camp again as he tries to earn an offer from the Longhorns.  This is one candidate I'd watch for an offer.

- The trip went really well for Texas commit Jaylon Guilbeau.  Recently he had been wavering in his commitment a bit but it sounds like this trip solidified everything.  Guilbeau spent time with Terry Joseph and had a long conversation with Steve Sarkisian.  He will be back next week unofficially and again at the end of the month officially.  He does still plan to take a couple of trips but I think his commitment is firm.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yes. You can draw the appropriate conclusions from that.

I am a simple farmer. Guilbeau says that he is recruiting Mr. Anderson and a $9.95er says that Mr. Anderson is recruiting Guilbeau. Guilbeau is said to now be locked into Texas. Anderson is taking visits. Anderson may be likely to end up at Texas, but he isn't visiting SEC just because he wants to see Ala-fucking-bama. I guess that means nothing is set until the ink dries, but it doesn't necessarily give me the warm fuzzies either. Not being a pussy, but I think it just kind of spells out that recruiting this year is kind of precarious - a bad year or a strong monetary push by Alabama could have a huge impact on our class.

17 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I am a simple farmer. Guilbeau says that he is recruiting Mr. Anderson and a $9.95er says that Mr. Anderson is recruiting Guilbeau. Guilbeau is said to now be locked into Texas. Anderson is taking visits. Anderson may be likely to end up at Texas, but he isn't visiting SEC just because he wants to see Ala-fucking-bama. I guess that means nothing is set until the ink dries, but it doesn't necessarily give me the warm fuzzies either. Not being a pussy, but I think it just kind of spells out that recruiting this year is kind of precarious - a bad year or a strong monetary push by Alabama could have a huge impact on our class.

I read it as Anderson is a silent. Sounds like he and Guilbeau are bros and are mutually recruiting each other to Texas. That jibes with rumors of Anderson being a silent for quite a while now.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

"Alief Speedster Tyler King .."

I looked it up. Tyler has run a 10.21 hundred meters.  That's smokin' fast.

Thanks. Because I was just thinking how fucking absurd, lazy, and stupid it is that Roach and others want to repeatedly mention how blazing someone was at track and not including any fucking times. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Roach with this weekend's list of visitors and a few morning updates

Spoiler

LIST OF VISITORS
Official visitors

Lake Charles (La.) College Prep four-star running back TreVonte' Citizen

One of the more important pieces of the puzzle on the Texas offensive board, Citizen could be the second take at the running back position if the Longhorns can impress him on the trip. LSU is still in the picture, though sources have indicated they expect Citizen to go out of state, and Texas A&M will be a tough opponent for the Longhorns as well. Texas can set the tone in this recruitment with a big weekend and raise the bar for the other schools he visits.

Texarkana (Texas) Texas High four-star defensive end Derrick Brown

One of the top targets on the defensive board for the Longhorns, Brown is an edge rushing weapon with incredible upside to get after the quarterback. This is another big visit, and it gives the Longhorns a chance to set the tone with an important target on the board. Texas seems to be near the top of the race battling programs like Oklahoma and Texas A&M for the lanky edge. Brown is a bit impressionable, so Texas will have to leave a lasting impression as the Aggies and Sooners will get shots after them.

Tenaha (Texas) three-star athlete Jeremy Patton

If I had to bet on one prospect that Texas could close the deal with this weekend, it would be Patton. While the east Texas star will have three other visits following his trip to Austin, and he likely wants to make a decision after those trips. The Longhorns are pushing hard for the athletic prospect who could fit as an interior linebacker with the ability to cover at the next level.

Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany four-star linebacker Niuafe Tuihalamaka

As we alluded to in The Stampede, Tuihalamaka did indeed move his trip from the 18th to this weekend. The California inside thumper seems to be coming down to Texas and Notre Dame as the two schools standing out for him, and the buzz is on the Fighting Irish at the moment. Perhaps Texas could change his mind this weekend, but we understand that Tuihalamaka wants to make his visits early in the month to make a mid-month announcement.

Orlando (Fla.) Bishop Moore Catholic three-star DL Bishop Thomas

Florida State owns the 247Sports Crystal Ball lead for Thomas, but Texas is very much in the race according to sources we spoke with. The home-state Seminoles will get the final visit from Thomas at the end of the month of June, but Bo Davis will have a chance to plant a flag this weekend with a good trip.

Newton three-star RB DeAnthony Gatson

Another back in the picture for the RB2 take at Texas, Gatson is another part of east Texas weekend. The staff is evaluating him alongside their other targets and being patient in who they want to pursue to join Jaydon Blue. This visit will serve as a bit of an eyeball test, and I could see Gatson jumping into the fold if the Longhorns push for a commitment.

Unofficial Visitors

Allen (Texas) four-star offensive lineman Neto Umeozulu

Umeozulu is headed in sometime this weekend with Saturday being the target date. The trip will be an unofficial visit, but it's a big step for the Longhorns to get the Allen offensive lineman on campus. Texas wants to do enough at this point to emerge from this weekend as a favorite and get Umeozulu excited about returning for an official visit.

##########################

Friday - 9 AM - Horns247 confirmed Jeremy Patton, Derrick Brown and Niuafe Tuihalmaka arrived for official visits the night before.  Patton's summer will move quickly as he has a mid-week visit scheduled to Oklahoma State June 9, a weekend visit to Michigan June 11 and a weekend trip to Baylor June 18.  We expect him to make a decision following those trips.  Right now the Longhorns have the Crystal Ball lead.

Brown and his family arrived last night after being on an unofficial trip to Texas Tech.  The Longhorns get the first shot at blowing him away with a visit experience and will have to hope the impression they make holds over the long term.  Oklahoma has the 247Sports Crystal Ball lead but sources close to Brown feel Texas and Texas A&M are the two biggest threats for the talented edge rusher at the moment.  He will see Texas A&M officially on June 18, Baylor on June 25 and Oklahoma on September 17, though sources say he could cancel that visit if he makes a decision this summer.

Tuihalamaka comes to Texas earlier than expected after moving his visit date.  The Longhorns are one of two visits he has scheduled for the summer with Notre Dame slated for next week.  Sources I spoke with indicate Tuihalmaka is expected to make a decision soon after concluding these visits.  The Fighting Irish currently hold the lead for the west coast thumper.

Friday - 9:12 AM - Horns247 confirmed Lake Charles (LA.) Prep running back TreVonte' Citizen is on campus for his visit.  Texas A&M will get their shot on June 11, USC on June 17 and Arkansas on June 25.  Citizen is coming off of an unofficial visit to LSU as well.  Citizen told Horns247 during the spring that he intends to make his decision during his senior year.

We have not yet confirmed that DeAnthony Gatson is on campus but he tweeted last night he was headed that way.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting