Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Having followed recruiting closely for a long time, something doesn’t feel quite right about UT recruiting right now. Just a bunch of tiny data points adding up to hopefully nothing. 

I get a weird feeling too, but it's across all of college football. But I don't know your data points.

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Having followed recruiting closely for a long time, something doesn’t feel quite right about UT recruiting right now. Just a bunch of tiny data points adding up to hopefully nothing. 

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

I get a weird feeling too, but it's across all of college football. But I don't know your data points.

Yeah I’d be interested in hearing your data points and theory. 

3 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Question about this competition. Is it just chuck the ball as far as you can? Or do they have to put the ball in a certain spot to show there’s some accuracy as well? Because somebody who can send it 79 yards with zero accuracy isn’t as good as someone who can throw it 55 and hit a receiver in stride

Do you mean to tell me that a longest throw competition may only be judging who can throw the ball the farthest and not who’s the best overall quarterback?

6ffb8210e158539633982811f4b474aa_w200.gi 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

Also interested in how long it takes your average 79 yd pass to reach its destination. I'm guessing 4ish seconds. Now how long does it take your 9-route receiver, un-bumped, to get to the point where a 79 yard pass hits them in stride, 5-6 seconds? Now how often is a receiver going to be able to get off like that? And when they are able to get off like that, is the QB going to escape pressure for 5-6 seconds in a way to get off a 79 yard pass?

Basically what I'm getting at is that the ability to throw a 79 yard pass, though very impressive, isn't something that really fits the game of football, outside of your Hail Mary situation, or complete circus play.

79-yard pass may equal a 65-yard Hail Mary with some arc and hang time. With that kind of arm, you increase the range of your potential miracle. Connecting on one of those from your own 35 or 40 would be cool and all, but I don’t see us being in games that are that close. Maybe try one at the end of the first half just for grins.

7 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Also interested in how long it takes your average 79 yd pass to reach its destination. I'm guessing 4ish seconds. Now how long does it take your 9-route receiver, un-bumped, to get to the point where a 79 yard pass hits them in stride, 5-6 seconds? Now how often is a receiver going to be able to get off like that? And when they are able to get off like that, is the QB going to escape pressure for 5-6 seconds in a way to get off a 79 yard pass?

Basically what I'm getting at is that the ability to throw a 79 yard pass, though very impressive, isn't something that really fits the game of football, outside of your Hail Mary situation, or complete circus play.

It means he has a strong arm, which can be used for other non-79 yard throws 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

It means he has a strong arm, which can be used for other non-79 yard throws 

Yah, and a guy who can throw a 65 yard pass also has a strong arm. *I'm not a dumbass, Fud.

*edited to add that this statement may be debatable.

Edited by UncleBuck

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah, and a guy who can throw a 65 yard pass also has a strong arm. *I'm not a dumbass, Fud.

*edited to add that this statement may be debatable.

You said that the ability to throw for 79 yards doesn't really fit the modern game of football. I disagree; having a stronger arm opens up more possibilities in the playbook for various routes that are made possible with an elite arm, and it also means the WR needs less separation since the DB has less time to react while the ball is in the air. See some of the ridiculous stuff that Mahomes and Rodgers do, and that Favre did. 

This comes with the caveat that there are many other more important factors than pure arm strength, but elite arm strength is at least noteworthy and adds to the ceiling of a QB prospect 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

You said that the ability to throw for 79 yards doesn't really fit the modern game of football. I disagree; having a stronger arm opens up more possibilities in the playbook for various routes that are made possible with an elite arm, and it also means the WR needs less separation since the DB has less time to react while the ball is in the air. See some of the ridiculous stuff that Mahomes and Rodgers do, and that Favre did. 

This comes with the caveat that there are many other more important factors than pure arm strength, but elite arm strength is at least noteworthy and adds to the ceiling of a QB prospect 

What were Murphy's issues in games? Did he make slow decisions or the wrong decisions or did he just force the ball because no one was open or miss throws because of a quick rush? He seems awfully accurate in 7v7 and practice. I'm just wondering how correctable are his issues. I assume he isn't like Rick McIvor who just wasn't smart enough to make it in the NFL.

Just now, Fud said:

This comes with the caveat that there are many other more important factors than pure arm strength

Yes, and that's exactly where I'm going with it. And remember, we're talking juniors in HS here.

If a guy throws 65 and a guy throws 79, I don't see that being a big enough difference as it applies to the size of the football field and the way the game is played, especially when you're talking high school kids. Guys who can throw the ball 65 yards in a high school competition probably have a strong enough arm to where when they're in college they can get the ball 10-15 yards to the sideline in a time that's not significantly slower than that of the 79'r. Then of course comes in your accuracy, obviously.

But considering that your average passing play in college is probably somewhere around 8-10 yds, that difference would not be very significant across that distance.

Now obviously, pass on a QB who can only throw it 25 yards.

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

What were Murphy's issues in games? Did he make slow decisions or the wrong decisions or did he just force the ball because no one was open or miss throws because of a quick rush? He seems awfully accurate in 7v7 and practice. I'm just wondering how correctable are his issues. I assume he isn't like Rick McIvor who just wasn't smart enough to make it in the NFL.

From what I saw, it was a combination of him struggling with his passing fundamentals while also dealing with a terrible OL, skill position group, and OC. Also, the shortened spring Cali season was a shit show; kids hadn't been to school in a year much less been coached, and at times their football looked like five year olds chasing the soccer ball around because they struggled to do what they were coached to do 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

(Mike Roach) Sorting out the offensive line board for Texas heading into busy summer

Spoiler

Texas is hoping to start putting together pieces of the offensive line puzzle with a successful run of visits this summer. Kyle Flood has been able to do a good job of putting the Longhorns in a position to close the deal with a number of big prospects, and as crazy as it seems, Texas might have to be a bit picky to maximize this class. So where does Texas see the prospects on the board and what could the class end up looking like? We do our best to piece it together.

Numbers

The most common number I’ve heard for this position is four, but I’d bet they go to five or maybe even six if they find the right ones. From those I’ve talked to in Austin, the feeling is that the talent in state is good enough this year to take a Texas-only class if they get the right guys. They are also in a good enough position with a few out of state guys that they could lean on them and try to turn up the heat if they miss on some primary guys.

IN STATE TARGETS
Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek

Projected position: Tackle

Confidence: High

Banks is one of the most important targets, and the Longhorns will have a chance to land him this summer as Banks is expected to make an early decision. If I had to say, I think Texas is in the top three along with LSU and Texas. Sources in Austin are confident, and I think Texas could win him over on the visit when they host him on June 18th.

Kam Dewberry, Humble Atascocita

Projected position: Guard/Tackle

Confidence: Medium

Dewberry is another priority target for Texas, but the Longhorns will likely need to work a little harder to win him over. Alabama and Ohio State had the most buzz with Dewberry last time I talked with him while Oklahoma and Texas A&M have been long time contenders for him. LSU has been in and out of the picture as well, but Dewberry told Hrons247 that no school was recruiting him harder than Texas this spring. This recruitment is poised to go the distance.

Cameron Williams, Duncanville

Texas offered a few weeks ago, but they’ve been able to build some impressive momentum early to get a visit from the mammoth Duncanville lineman. Texas will need to continue to work to improve position against several other schools that have been in the race longer, but I like the way they are trending right now. Williams is looking like a priority for Texas as they really are intrigued with his athleticism and overwhelming frame.

Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie

Projected position: Guard

Perhaps the biggest priority for the Longhorns, Campbell would be a win at a position of need and a big splash landing both a five-star player and a DFW prospect. Sources in Austin feel good about where things stand with Campbell going into the summer, and he will likely make it to Austin on an unofficial trip or two while saving his official for the summer. It’s hard to envision a world where Texas doesn’t hold a spot for Campbell until the end.

Neto Umeozulu, Allen

Umeozulu is a tough read. He doesn’t talk a lot, and when he does, he rarely gives anything away. Umeozulu is expected to make an unofficial trip to Austin this weekend and Texas will try to do enough to secure a return trip for an official visit. Umeozulu is another in-state prospect the Longhorns are prioritizing, and they are working hard to make more inroads into his recruitment.

Cole Hutson, Frisco

Projected position: Guard/Center

Hutson is another priority target for Kyle Flood in the state of Texas. Hutson is slated to visit Austin June 11, and the Longhorns are feeling good about their standing with him. Oklahoma is probably the biggest threat for him though Alabama and Texas A&M will be tough as well. Texas likes the versatility and smarts of the Frisco offensive lineman and would love to have him as part of this class.

Connor Robertson, Austin Westlake

Projected position: Tackle/Guard

Robertson could be a guy Texas lands this summer provided they wow him on the official visit. The Westlake star has a trip scheduled for the summer but doesn’t want to put the date out yet. Stanford was a school that gained some steam in the spring, but it still seems like the Longhorns are in a very good position for the local lineman.

OUT OF STATE TARGETS

Josh Conerly Jr., Seattle (Wash.) Rainier Beach

The elite Pacific Northwesterner is a prospect just about any school in the nation would love to have. While it’s likely he makes a visit to Austin officially, the Longhorns will have to overcome the pull that many expect the west coast to have on him.

Jacob Sexton, Edmond (Okla.) Deer Creek

While it was once thought that Sexton would be an easy win for Oklahoma, I’ve heard recently that Texas is making progress and there might be a window for the Horns. Sexton will announce his Texas visit date later today but he will make it to Austin in the month of June. The Longhorns highly value him and would love to close the deal.

Malik Agbo, Federal Way (Wash.) Todd Beamer

The genial big man only has a couple of official trips scheduled for the summer and will save a few for the fall. I expect him to make his way to Austin during that time. Last week, someone I trust told me they felt Texas was right at the top along with LSU for Agbo. Will that hold until the fall? We will wait and see, but Texas has to like being in this position as of right now.

Earnest Greene, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco

Greene is definitely keeping Texas in the picture, but I think there’d have to be some significant developments for me to feel much better about this one. Greene will take some trips during the summer with Texas being one of the schools on the agenda, but most folks I speak with expect him to stay on the west coast.

THE FINISH

It’s hard to say exactly how Texas will finish up in this class, but they’ve put themselves in position with a number of prospects. I know that four is the target to feel good early on and I believe they would go above that should an elite prospect like Devon Campbell or Josh Conerly choose to make a late commitment.

I don’t get the sense right now that there are really takes and non-takes. It seems like the class could come together on somewhat of a first-come-first-serve basis. Obviously, they will adjust somewhat for position needs, but Flood is casting a wide net in hopes of landing some big game.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

(Mike Roach) Sorting out the offensive line board for Texas heading into busy summer

Hide contents

Texas is hoping to start putting together pieces of the offensive line puzzle with a successful run of visits this summer. Kyle Flood has been able to do a good job of putting the Longhorns in a position to close the deal with a number of big prospects, and as crazy as it seems, Texas might have to be a bit picky to maximize this class. So where does Texas see the prospects on the board and what could the class end up looking like? We do our best to piece it together.

Numbers

The most common number I’ve heard for this position is four, but I’d bet they go to five or maybe even six if they find the right ones. From those I’ve talked to in Austin, the feeling is that the talent in state is good enough this year to take a Texas-only class if they get the right guys. They are also in a good enough position with a few out of state guys that they could lean on them and try to turn up the heat if they miss on some primary guys.

IN STATE TARGETS
Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek

Banks is one of the most important targets, and the Longhorns will have a chance to land him this summer as Banks is expected to make an early decision. If I had to say, I think Texas is in the top three along with LSU and Texas. Sources in Austin are confident, and I think Texas could win him over on the visit when they host him on June 18th.

Kam Dewberry, Humble Atascocita

Dewberry is another priority target for Texas, but the Longhorns will likely need to work a little harder to win him over. Alabama and Ohio State had the most buzz with Dewberry last time I talked with him while Oklahoma and Texas A&M have been long time contenders for him. LSU has been in and out of the picture as well, but Dewberry told Hrons247 that no school was recruiting him harder than Texas this spring. This recruitment is poised to go the distance.

Cameron Williams, Duncanville

Texas offered a few weeks ago, but they’ve been able to build some impressive momentum early to get a visit from the mammoth Duncanville lineman. Texas will need to continue to work to improve position against several other schools that have been in the race longer, but I like the way they are trending right now. Williams is looking like a priority for Texas as they really are intrigued with his athleticism and overwhelming frame.

Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie

Projected position: Guard

Perhaps the biggest priority for the Longhorns, Campbell would be a win at a position of need and a big splash landing both a five-star player and a DFW prospect. Sources in Austin feel good about where things stand with Campbell going into the summer, and he will likely make it to Austin on an unofficial trip or two while saving his official for the summer. It’s hard to envision a world where Texas doesn’t hold a spot for Campbell until the end.

Neto Umeozulu, Allen

Umeozulu is a tough read. He doesn’t talk a lot, and when he does, he rarely gives anything away. Umeozulu is expected to make an unofficial trip to Austin this weekend and Texas will try to do enough to secure a return trip for an official visit. Umeozulu is another in-state prospect the Longhorns are prioritizing, and they are working hard to make more inroads into his recruitment.

Cole Hutson, Frisco

Projected position: Guard/Center

Hutson is another priority target for Kyle Flood in the state of Texas. Hutson is slated to visit Austin June 11, and the Longhorns are feeling good about their standing with him. Oklahoma is probably the biggest threat for him though Alabama and Texas A&M will be tough as well. Texas likes the versatility and smarts of the Frisco offensive lineman and would love to have him as part of this class.

Connor Robertson, Austin Westlake

Robertson could be a guy Texas lands this summer provided they wow him on the official visit. The Westlake star has a trip scheduled for the summer but doesn’t want to put the date out yet. Stanford was a school that gained some steam in the spring, but it still seems like the Longhorns are in a very good position for the local lineman.

OUT OF STATE TARGETS

Josh Conerly Jr., Seattle (Wash.) Rainier Beach

The elite Pacific Northwesterner is a prospect just about any school in the nation would love to have. While it’s likely he makes a visit to Austin officially, the Longhorns will have to overcome the pull that many expect the west coast to have on him.

Jacob Sexton, Edmond (Okla.) Deer Creek

While it was once thought that Sexton would be an easy win for Oklahoma, I’ve heard recently that Texas is making progress and there might be a window for the Horns. Sexton will announce his Texas visit date later today but he will make it to Austin in the month of June. The Longhorns highly value him and would love to close the deal.

Malik Agbo, Federal Way (Wash.) Todd Beamer

The genial big man only has a couple of official trips scheduled for the summer and will save a few for the fall. I expect him to make his way to Austin during that time. Last week, someone I trust told me they felt Texas was right at the top along with LSU for Agbo. Will that hold until the fall? We will wait and see, but Texas has to like being in this position as of right now.

Earnest Greene, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco

Greene is definitely keeping Texas in the picture, but I think there’d have to be some significant developments for me to feel much better about this one. Greene will take some trips during the summer with Texas being one of the schools on the agenda, but most folks I speak with expect him to stay on the west coast.

THE FINISH

It’s hard to say exactly how Texas will finish up in this class, but they’ve put themselves in position with a number of prospects. I know that four is the target to feel good early on and I believe they would go above that should an elite prospect like Devon Campbell or Josh Conerly choose to make a late commitment.

I don’t get the sense right now that there are really takes and non-takes. It seems like the class could come together on somewhat of a first-come-first-serve basis. Obviously, they will adjust somewhat for position needs, but Flood is casting a wide net in hopes of landing some big game.

Some of these Confidence: Mediums have a real Confidence: Low vibe to them. Which is weird for Roach.

22 minutes ago, Fud said:

From what I saw, it was a combination of him struggling with his passing fundamentals while also dealing with a terrible OL, skill position group, and OC. Also, the shortened spring Cali season was a shit show; kids hadn't been to school in a year much less been coached, and at times their football looked like five year olds chasing the soccer ball around because they struggled to do what they were coached to do 

That stuff is generally correctable.

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That stuff is generally correctable.

There are just a lot of important unknowns (accuracy, post snap processing) with him, and also stuff being possible to correct doesn't mean that they will be in a timely manner, if at all. He's a fine upside take.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know if things will ultimately be good or bad with recruiting in 2022 with this staff. Too much newness added to the weirdness of the pandemic period and 11 years wandering the CFB desert on top of it all.

That considered, Tom Herman landed 2 top 5 and another top 10 class at Texas while alienating recruits, parents, coaches, and handlers; while ignoring top recruits for long stretches; while running a boring offense, a bizarre defense, and losing more than he should have; while having one of the worst recruiting staffs ever assembled at Texas, which is saying something.

I have to believe that this staff, with some top-notch, proven recruiters including the HC, and some known excellent evaluators of talent, will ultimately do pretty well. If they win some games and get some bag infrastructure together on top of the basics, they'll kill it. 

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

Yes, and that's exactly where I'm going with it. And remember, we're talking juniors in HS here.

If a guy throws 65 and a guy throws 79, I don't see that being a big enough difference as it applies to the size of the football field and the way the game is played, especially when you're talking high school kids. Guys who can throw the ball 65 yards in a high school competition probably have a strong enough arm to where when they're in college they can get the ball 10-15 yards to the sideline in a time that's not significantly slower than that of the 79'r. Then of course comes in your accuracy, obviously.

But considering that your average passing play in college is probably somewhere around 8-10 yds, that difference would not be very significant across that distance.

Now obviously, pass on a QB who can only throw it 25 yards.

Why? 

5d2f7ded9b0eb.image.jpg?resize=1200,751

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Wells

Hide contents

DL Justice Finkley, Hewitt-Trussville (Trussville, AL) - 2022

Even as a four-star .94 composite, Finkley isn't satisfied.

At 6-foot-2, 255 pounds, the defensive lineman is a lot of what you want in the position; mean, nasty, strong, violent. Finkley checks the boxes.

He has a great idea of what he's looking for in a college, and two parents determined that he get there.

“The things I look for in a college are a mix of good academics with good football," said Finkley. "They'll have great recovery, strength and conditioning program, and a great nutritional program.”

You hear prospects mention academics all the time, but in a few cases it really does matter. This is one of those cases.

“I have a good relationship with Texas, Alabama, Michigan, Colorado, and Stanford just to name a few," said Finkley.

Austin definitely has his attention and he's eager to see what UT has to offer.

“I'm ready for the visit and all the things (Austin) has to offer," said Finkley. "I’ve talked to Bijan (Robinson) and Ray Thornton about hanging out when I get down there.”

Scheduled sites include Colorado, Alabama, Michigan, and Florida possibly in July. He's at Stanford today, then Austin on June 25th-227th. His timeline?

Decision date: “After all my officials.”

Texas might be in this more than we anticipated. Stay tuned.

If Harris can’t get a commitment after having this kid on campus for 202 days then maybe CTJ is right about him being in over his head.

Edited by Wishbone
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know if things will ultimately be good or bad with recruiting in 2022 with this staff. Too much newness added to the weirdness of the pandemic period and 11 years wandering the CFB desert on top of it all.

That considered, Tom Herman landed 2 top 5 and another top 10 class at Texas while alienating recruits, parents, coaches, and handlers; while ignoring top recruits for long stretches; while running a boring offense, a bizarre defense, and losing more than he should have; while having one of the worst recruiting staffs ever assembled at Texas, which is saying something.

I have to believe that this staff, with some top-notch, proven recruiters including the HC, and some known excellent evaluators of talent, will ultimately do pretty well. If they win some games and get some bag infrastructure together on top of the basics, they'll kill it. 

Definitely, this. This coaching staff and the campus should shine on official visits, as long as it eventually stops raining. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

To be clear, any conclusions being drawn on a staff member's ability to do work in recruiting during the prolonged dead period is probably folly in the first place. The vibe and impression someone gives off in person is ultimately a lot more important. 

Hell, Tim Brewster, as good as he is considered to be in recruiting, is notorious for turning off certain personalities once they meet him personally on visits. There's a list of big time players that decided UNC/UT/FSU weren't right for them after leaning towards those schools early, and most of it is a by-product of Brewster on both sides of the before and after. DJ Williams is one famous example with UT. 

Maybe Harris absolutely crushes his end of the on-campus interactions. 

Wait...I don't think I've ever heard you be this positive. Everything alright?

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I do agree about the recruiting in general seeming like we don’t have as much momentum as you’d expect.   Mack had the number 1 class in his first full year, and Herman had the number 3 class.   It looks like we’re likely to have a good class, but probably not a monster like those.

It is a little strange given the staff that has been assembled - they should be better than Herman’s staff.  But I think it’s probably a reflection of Sark not necessarily being a splash hire.   Herman, at the time he was hired at least, was (wrongly) viewed as a super hot commodity.  He hadn’t failed yet anywhere and was billed as the wunderkind we outbid LSU to get. Sark comes with baggage.  Plus, it’s been even longer since we were last good.

I do expect Sark and Kwiatkowski to win more games and perform better on the field and in recruiting than Herman and his merry band did over the long run.  Once Herman’s luster wore off, he was fucking toast on the recruiting trail as we all witnessed last year.  But it seems like this is going to require building back prestige with recruits over a period of time rather than just jumping in with top 5 classes from the new coach bump.

They also haven't been able to recruit in person or have proper visits, and every program in the nation is selling "hold off til June, then look at your options".

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

He may be a stud.   I think people are way too quick to write off the biggest, strongest armed QB in prep football because he plays for some bad California high school team where nobody cares about football and the coaching is 20 years behind the top suburban TX football factories.   That and he’s only a junior.   

Exactly. While five stars are more predictably destined for stardom, some four and three stars are also destined for greatness; it's just hard to predict which ones.

I rabidly followed recruiting for a few years. I felt sorry for the juniors on our team who would likely lose their spots to freshman. I didn't even think about the last class because if they couldn't start when they arrived, these new guys would pass them with ease.

Then, I began to see the folly of predicting future line-ups and red-shirts based on the projected success of high schoolers. You just don't know. Nobody predicted Colt McCoy's path at Texas. Nobody could.

Who knows what Murphy may become? I do really like him from what I can see and hear of him. I'm no judge of talent, so I'll wait.

Note: Please don't read the above as suggesting 3 stars are as good as 4 and 5 stars. It's just about predictions based on ratings. You want all the five stars you can get.

The lull is due to a lot of factors and things could feel completely different two months from now once the staff has a chance connect with players in person. Part of having a reputation as a great recruiter is blowing prospects away on these visits. I'm not sure you can attribute much to the staff disappointing or Sark not being a splashy enough hire. Not yet anyway. 

I think this was discussed a while ago but you can't underestimate that Sarkisian is walking in to a tougher situation than Herman was on the recruiting front. A&M is coming off one of the best seasons and their history and their hype rollercoaster is firmly ticking up where Herman had the lame duck portion of Sumlin and Fisher's transition to recruit against. At OU Lincoln had some hype but was unproven as a HC where now he has a few heismen trophy winners, number one overall picks, playoff appearances and all the Big12 titles. All while OSU and Alabama have increased their TX foothold. Factor in that now Texas is even further removed from being in title contention and has another failed coaching hire for schools to negatively recruit. The state is bloodbath for recruiting top guys right now. 

None of that to say that Sark can't and shouldn't recruit really well this year, but the context is just different than when Herman had a top 3 class. It really magnifies Tom's failure even more because he had a real opportunity that he fucked up. Sarkisian and crew may have to be twice as good at recruiting to end up with the same results. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

The lull is due to a lot of factors and things could feel completely different two months from now once the staff has a chance connect with players in person. Part of having a reputation as a great recruiter is blowing prospects away on these visits. I'm not sure you can attribute much to the staff disappointing or Sark not being a splashy enough hire. Not yet anyway. 

I think this was discussed a while ago but you can't underestimate that Sarkisian is walking in to a tougher situation than Herman was on the recruiting front. A&M is coming off one of the best seasons and their history and their hype rollercoaster is firmly ticking up where Herman had the lame duck portion of Sumlin and Fisher's transition to recruit against. At OU Lincoln had some hype but was unproven as a HC where now he has a few heismen trophy winners, number one overall picks, playoff appearances and all the Big12 titles. All while OSU and Alabama have increased their TX foothold. Factor in that now Texas is even further removed from being in title contention and has another failed coaching hire for schools to negatively recruit. The state is bloodbath for recruiting top guys right now. 

None of that to say that Sark can't and shouldn't recruit really well this year, but the context is just different than when Herman had a top 3 class. It really magnifies Tom's failure even more because he had a real opportunity that he fucked up. Sarkisian and crew may have to be twice as good at recruiting to end up with the same results. 

Well the staff he hired is about 100x better at everything so I like his chances. 

I'm not worried at all about recruiting.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

suicide GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Give me Murphy over Ewers all day long. You can’t teach that kind of arm talent and it really lets Sark open up the playbook. Ohio State is screwed when they’re facing 3rd and 78, but you know Sark will have a 79 yard play dialed up thanks to Murphy. It’s simple math. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

38 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I do agree about the recruiting in general seeming like we don’t have as much momentum as you’d expect.   Mack had the number 1 class in his first full year, and Herman had the number 3 class.   It looks like we’re likely to have a good class, but probably not a monster like those.

It is a little strange given the staff that has been assembled - they should be better than Herman’s staff.  But I think it’s probably a reflection of Sark not necessarily being a splash hire.   Herman, at the time he was hired at least, was (wrongly) viewed as a super hot commodity.  He hadn’t failed yet anywhere and was billed as the wunderkind we outbid LSU to get. Sark comes with baggage.  Plus, it’s been even longer since we were last good.

I do expect Sark and Kwiatkowski to win more games and perform better on the field and in recruiting than Herman and his merry band did over the long run.  Once Herman’s luster wore off, he was fucking toast on the recruiting trail as we all witnessed last year.  But it seems like this is going to require building back prestige with recruits over a period of time rather than just jumping in with top 5 classes from the new coach bump.

This all seems pretty premature and reads like you’re reaching for program-specific reasons when something bigger is happening nationwide. A bunch of people said Herman would have to build up program prestige after the 2017 transition class when he got here and then he went out and landed an elite class right away. 

The reality is we don’t really have a clue what this class will look like because the 18 month long dead period and the announcement of it ending on 6/1 put a freeze on a recruiting in a way we’ve never seen before.

The staff was building some really good momentum before the announcement of OVs starting back up killed basically all recruiting, so let’s see what happens over the next 6 weeks. I won’t be surprised if we start trending for a bunch of guys and are headed for a really good top 5 class.

• Hook 'Em 5

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting