Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

I'm not sure why it's a "kids today" rant versus viewing this kind of action as bullshit showing a lack of character. There is no honor in skipping a senior season of HS football and bailing out on your teammates because you think you've got some higher mission with the sport. There is no love or passion for the game from someone taking his kind of course. It comes across as empty and selfish and easy to root against. If that's not very woke of me, I don't give even the tiniest fuck. 

Fuckin’ A right. I can get with why athletes do what they do these days, and understand that in the big scheme of things this is their career that we’re talking about and that they don’t really owe me or anyone else anything blah blah blah... but it doesn’t mean I have to like it and think “oh great wow so happy rn.”/“it’s his life!,” especially when it happens to the team I cheer for (like with some guys here last year). I’m not here because *insert player*

Oh nooo does that make me a... fan?

39 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

When I first glanced at this, I thought it was a decommitment, so I guess it could be worse. I’ve got nothing against the kid and don’t care about any supposed larger moral conundrum this raises. But if he’s opting out of high school early, he’s going to opt out of college early too if he’s any good at all.

29 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT is saying Blue had a huge blowup to his coaches, which led him to make this decision.

I’d actually feel better if this was the case. If it’s just a kid making an emotional decision in the heat of the moment that’s more workable than the alternative imo.

Gerry doubling down that the coaches should cut bait and saying he's known about issues for a while but he won't go into details. 

Also, this made me lol:

image.thumb.png.0b39804b4a771867616b6895af47bbb0.png

Open your eyes people! "Need a RB in the class who runs between the tackles" is so clearly code for "Blue has issues with his coaches and will be opting out of his senior year on 5/20". Nahlin won't stand for anyone thinking he just may have gotten scooped on a story. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm not going to fault him on a character level, but I do think it's a red flag if you think he's going to give you his all at any level below the NFL.

In the words of the Virgin Mary and South Austin's mother, come again? How in the fuck is there not a character concern for you if you also believe that a player isn't going to give 100% of what he's got when he's on the field and in the program? Have a fucking spine and own a position. Either you're cool knowing a player will potentially just straight up quit on the team at any given point in time, or you actually do understand that that's an actual character trait for a recruit that might be a problem. 

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

When I first glanced at this, I thought it was a decommitment, so I guess it could be worse. I’ve got nothing against the kid and don’t care about any supposed larger moral conundrum this raises. But if he’s opting out of high school early, he’s going to opt out of college early too if he’s any good at all.

"Supposed moral conundrum" is silly. It's pretty simple when looking at shit like this through the prism of a college football fan. We're at the point where we've willingly witnessed the concept of "commitment" decompose into a joke of a word that none of us really take seriously; a point in which coaches lie to their constituency on a common basis and we accept that as a zero problem notion because ... coachspeak; a point in time in which players quit in the middle of seasons and you guys climb over yourselves to equivocate supporting it. Where's the end?

As fans of the sport, I fail to see how any of that shit is good for us. I don't know Jaydon Blue from any Tom, Dick or Harry walking down the street. I give one, and only one, fuck about the guy - that he shows up at Texas and produces, on and off the field. Anything that degrades confidence in him as a take should be viewed as a fucking problem by people on this board, at least.

It should worry you that in lieu of some other guy, and right now Texas is taking this guy in lieu of playing out the string with Miller, Texas is taking a guy that has straight up shown you now that he's going to quit when he feels like it and will justify it with whatever "next level" logic he needs to move forward. 

The rush from people to immediately exonerate people from decisions like this with "I'm not going to judge him" is absurd. You guys fucking judge recruits based on speed, size, strength, etc. Is it your position that there is no way to use off-the-field data points as a means of fortifying your analysis of a target? That's lazy. It's not about some sort of moral high ground or expecting robust piety from the targets or some other politically-slanted trope painting posters here as old men or some shit. This is a data point of concern for anyone paying attention simply because it actually is giving us an insight to the recruit's character as a football player.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

In the words of the Virgin Mary and South Austin's mother, come again? How in the fuck is there not a character concern for you if you also believe that a player isn't going to give 100% of what he's got when he's on the field and in the program? Have a fucking spine and own a position. Either you're cool knowing a player will potentially just straight up quit on the team at any given point in time, or you actually do understand that that's an actual character trait for a recruit that might be a problem. 

"Supposed moral conundrum" is silly. It's pretty simple when looking at shit like this through the prism of a college football fan. We're at the point where we've willingly witnessed the concept of "commitment" decompose into a joke of a word that none of us really take seriously; a point in which coaches lie to their constituency on a common basis and we accept that as a zero problem notion because ... coachspeak; a point in time in which players quit in the middle of seasons and you guys climb over yourselves to equivocate supporting it. Where's the end?

As fans of the sport, I fail to see how any of that shit is good for us. I don't know Jaydon Blue from any Tom, Dick or Harry walking down the street. I give one, and only one, fuck about the guy - that he shows up at Texas and produces, on and off the field. Anything that degrades confidence in him as a take should be viewed as a fucking problem by people on this board, at least.

It should worry you that in lieu of some other guy, and right now Texas is taking this guy in lieu of playing out the string with Miller, Texas is taking a guy that has straight up shown you now that he's going to quit when he feels like it and will justify it with whatever "next level" logic he needs to move forward. 

The rush from people to immediately exonerate people from decisions like this with "I'm not going to judge him" is absurd. You guys fucking judge recruits based on speed, size, strength, etc. Is it your position that there is no way to use off-the-field data points as a means of fortifying your analysis of a target? That's lazy. It's not about some sort of moral high ground or expecting robust piety from the targets or some other politically-slanted trope painting posters here as old men or some shit. This is a data point of concern for anyone paying attention simply because it actually is giving us an insight to the recruit's character as a football player.

I think he's showing exactly what his position on school sports is (purely a stepping stone) and you can now take that into account as a college prospect.

He had to play high school sports to get his shot at the next level, that's the way it works and it's just a high school he happened to be in the district for, not a team he really chose to play for, but at every level from here on up that choice will get taken into account. 

And fwiw I hate it for a UT commit, it's very bad for our class as it stands. Wish he'd decided earlier on a lot of levels.

Better make sure RB2 is a great get. Like somebody said above, the only way this is slightly palatable is if it's only because he had a falling out with the coaches, and then it still depends on why they fell out in the first place.

Edited by Bevo14

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I give one, and only one, fuck about the guy - that he shows up at Texas and produces, on and off the field

I have a feeling that we are in the minority on this take. Fans generally make their teams' athletes heroes. They follow them like celebrities who are on TMZ, in People magazine, and walk down the red carpet. To me, they carry, catch, or throw a ball better than I ever did and it makes me wish that I was better when I played. They aren't people I idolize and I couldn't give a shit what their opinion is on any given subject. And it is doubtful that they know any subject outside of their sport any better than I do. So, I'll keep my liking a player limited to how he performs on Saturday. If I know him personally, that is another matter entirely, but I'll be damned if I'll really care about someone who I've only seen from from a distance.

• Hook 'Em 5

Did a little research, not saying it's the right or wrong decision, but Jaydon dislocated his right knee twice in Jr. High, both season ending injuries. The doctor told him if it happens again, he is probably done with football.

http://www.kleincainfootball.com/articles/how-jaydon-blue-overcame-injury-to-become-the-top-rb-in-the-country

In 31 games, he averages about 20 carries, and 15 receptions, so 35 touches. That would mean being a target about 350 times this coming season. I don't know the percentage of touches he split, but if any other backs graduated that were talented enough to split carries with him, and no one is waiting in the wings, maybe his workload was going to increase drastically. Maybe they graduated a lot of talent and won't be very good next year. There could be a host of reasons that we are not privy to.

CHIEF

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Did a little research, not saying it's the right or wrong decision, but Jaydon dislocated his right knee twice in Jr. High, both season ending injuries. The doctor told him if it happens again, he is probably done with football.

http://www.kleincainfootball.com/articles/how-jaydon-blue-overcame-injury-to-become-the-top-rb-in-the-country

In 31 games, he averages about 20 carries, and 15 receptions, so 35 touches. That would mean being a target about 350 times this coming season. I don't know the percentage of touches he split, but if any other backs graduated that were talented enough to split carries with him, and no one is waiting in the wings, maybe his workload was going to increase drastically. Maybe they graduated a lot of talent and won't be very good next year. There could be a host of reasons that we are not privy to.

CHIEF

He averaged 15 receptions a game???

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Which means that he has durability concerns which is an issue itself. That would be understandable though.

Edited by Bevo14

Let’s imagine our reaction if this was a aggy/OU commit. It’s a major character concern and we’ve seen how those typically play out.

My gut reaction was that it’s kind of lame but honestly it’s no different than a sure fire high draft pick skipping his senior season. He knows his stock isn’t rising anymore, he knows Texas will honor the scholarship, he knows he wants to be there... I see the logic. I do wonder about injuries if he’s skipping a HS season to stay healthy. And part of me still definitely thinks it’s weak.

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It’s indisputably a bad thing for Texas football. I don’t think anyone other than Wescott is arguing otherwise. What I don’t care about is any wider discussion about “kids these days”. It was honestly my way of saying I only care about it from a football perspective.

I hope he changes his mind, but if he doesn’t, the staff has to treat him strictly as their RB2, if they keep him at all.

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I have a feeling that we are in the minority on this take. Fans generally make their teams' athletes heroes. They follow them like celebrities who are on TMZ, in People magazine, and walk down the red carpet. To me, they carry, catch, or throw a ball better than I ever did and it makes me wish that I was better when I played. They aren't people I idolize and I couldn't give a shit what their opinion is on any given subject. And it is doubtful that they know any subject outside of their sport any better than I do. So, I'll keep my liking a player limited to how he performs on Saturday. If I know him personally, that is another matter entirely, but I'll be damned if I'll really care about someone who I've only seen from from a distance.

My issue with this kind of thing is that it directly relates to a key indicator for us in terms of who this guy will be on campus - a fucking loafer. A gold bricker. Some Eric Dickerson acting motherfucker who will give it his all when he feels like it, and otherwise he might not even show up half the time.

If he thinks staying in for pass pro and picking up a blitzing LB might hurt his efforts to "get to the next level" and the QB winds up getting Joe Theisman'd because he half-asses his assignment, are we supposed to "respect his decision"? He's showing us his values in real time. Those values are him first, second, third, and last. 

I mean, juxtapose what we see from Roschon Johnson on and off the field against what this guy has revealed about himself. It's a hilarious comparison if you're a rival fan to UT. We have a guy that is in the process of probably earning a draft position by selflessly and relentlessly busting his ass for his team, however he's been asked to do that, including an unplanned position move when arriving on campus necessitated by coaching fuck-ups with the depth chart and injuries. The other guy just quit on his high school football team going into his senior season as "the man" and did it while trying to claim some sort of personal moral high ground in the process by focusing on his presumptive future. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Based on the stats from 247 (lines up with MaxPreps too), he is averaging 14 carries per game and one reception. 15 touches per game for a HS RB is not crazy (particularly for being one of the main playmakers on his team’s offense). 

If you’re Sark and you see this, you have to see this as a red flag. He argued with a coach he’s known for a couple of years now and he dropped out of his senior season? I mean I played on a Plano team (and we totally sucked) and everyone had more team spirit than this. If you quit on your team in HS, it’s almost like quitting on a father figure (in your HC) and your brothers on the team. One argument with people who’ve helped you grow and develop as a young man and you give up on them? He will probably face even worse adversity in college and the league. What’s he going to do then?

516BBDBE-C4FE-4DFD-9B11-2737ACB18C8E.jpeg

Edited by Octavian
Double posted picture
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

It’s indisputably a bad thing for Texas football. I don’t think anyone other than Wescott is arguing otherwise. What I don’t care about is any wider discussion about “kids these days”. It was honestly my way of saying I only care about it from a football perspective.

I hope he changes his mind, but if he doesn’t, the staff has to treat him strictly as their RB2, if they keep him at all.

Fair. I don't have an actual "kids these days" rant in me about society as a whole, as it's the same story with every generation and those after it. This particular thing can be used in an assessment, so my issue is when it looks like a poster is "mehing" it because they don't want someone to see them as judgy. As it pertains to what's at stake with RB recruiting in the 2022 class, it's for sure not a "meh" part of the profile for Blue.

Fair. I don't have an actual "kids these days" rant in me about society as a whole, as it's the same story with every generation and those after it. This particular thing can be used in an assessment, so my issue is when it looks like a poster is "mehing" it because they don't want someone to see them as judgy. As it pertains to what's at stake with RB recruiting in the 2022 class, it's for sure not a "meh" part of the profile for Blue.

What’s the deal with Jones?

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

What’s the deal with Jones?

He's not very good. More tape or other ways of looking at him have come to light. Maybe he's a take, but he's like the 25th guy in a full class if you don't also land Citizen, Gatson, or some other player they find and like at RB2. 

Miller's coach, or one of his coaches, is boys with Valai and looking for a step into CFB, and probably also looking to get paid. He's constantly shitting all over Texas and has sufficiently poisoned the well to where that one ain't happening unless something Blue decommitting occurs, and maybe not even then. 

Bama is blaring the "Texas is racist" trumpet as desperately as they can to Texas recruits in this cycle. It's a weak argument from anyone and a laughable one from Alabama. However, Jai Valai knows how to play that tune with a certain personality type among the handlers and coaches that he knows. 

• Like 1

I agree with most of the “red flag” concerns here, but you’re kidding yourself if you think cutting him loose is a more palatable option for the coaches at this point.

“They pulled his scholarship offer and all he was trying to to was get himself ready for college” is a half-truth portrayal of events and also exactly the type of shit that could potentially sour the opinions of other top recruits. They are not looking at this through the same lens as fans.

Not every player has to be a team first kind of guy, the top teams win with selfish dudes all the time. Guess we just have to keep our fingers crossed that we’ve got enough Roschon’s in the locker room to not make this an issue.

I’ll bet a beer at the Arkansas game that Blue plays his senior year. I feel like this same shit happens every year between a player and coach, it gets smoothed out. A rash decision by a 17 year old who’s heated, who could imagine 

• Hook 'Em 3

Yeah, this:

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Bama is blaring the "Texas is racist" trumpet as desperately as they can to Texas recruits in this cycle. It's a weak argument from anyone and a laughable one from Alabama. However, Jai Valai knows how to play that tune with a certain personality type among the handlers and coaches that he knows. 

and this: 

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

“They pulled his scholarship offer and all he was trying to to was get himself ready for college” is a half-truth portrayal of events and also exactly the type of shit that could potentially sour the opinions of other top recruits. They are not looking at this through the same lens as fans.

put the coaches in a tough position where they really have to thread the needle, fair/reasonable or not.

• Hook 'Em 1

The "football player who doesn't want to play football" recruit is a nice compliment to the "player who has Texas as their dream school picking literally anyone else" recruit. 

I swear a Texas fan had their hands on a monkey paw in the Rose Bowl parking lot on 1/4/2006

Monkey Paw GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1

Blue has really given me some things to think about. As a result, I’ve decided to pull my unborn great grandson out of pee wee league golf, which he hasn’t started, in order for ensure he’s fresh for the senior golf tour in 2065. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I agree with most of the “red flag” concerns here, but you’re kidding yourself if you think cutting him loose is a more palatable option for the coaches at this point.

Not every player has to be a team first kind of guy, the top teams win with selfish dudes all the time. Guess we just have to keep our fingers crossed that we’ve got enough Roschon’s in the locker room to not make this an issue.

I don’t think there is any way they pull his offer immediately. If he’s not in the class it’ll either be a slow play by us or a quick decision by him. But I think the staff will want to keep him. Their other RB take just got a lot more important though.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He's not very good. More tape or other ways of looking at him have come to light. Maybe he's a take, but he's like the 25th guy in a full class if you don't also land Citizen, Gatson, or some other player they find and like at RB2. 

Would you say Gatson is better than Jones?  I don't see Citizen happening.

Man if surly knows how to do anything, it knows how to take a shit on a kid when they do something surly doesn't like. Kid is 17 and possibly making a bad decision which is par the course for teenagers. Is it possible he won't end up amounting to shit? Sure, but despite this decision he could still come here and kickass, because half assing it at the college level certainly won't get him to the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

42 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Man if surly knows how to do anything, it knows how to take a shit on a kid when they do something surly doesn't like. Kid is 17 and possibly making a bad decision which is par the course for teenagers. Is it possible he won't end up amounting to shit? Sure, but despite this decision he could still come here and kickass, because half assing it at the college level certainly won't get him to the NFL.

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

After thinking on it a bit, really how different is it from a kid moving to IMG his senior year? All of the same loyalty/team player/business decision commentary could be applied to both. Is a handful of exhibition games with a high school All Star team at a fake diploma factory really the difference between “acceptable decision” and “red flags everywhere!!?”

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

After thinking on it a bit, really how different is it from a kid moving to IMG his senior year? All of the same loyalty/team player/business decision commentary could be applied to both. Is a handful of exhibition games with a high school All Star team at a fake diploma factory really the difference between “acceptable decision” and “red flags everywhere!!?”

But playing for IMG is still playing--guys still can get knocked the fuck out and break shit.

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I guess I’m off base here, it was a genuine question. Just find it interesting that a few non-competitive games with complete strangers is the difference between elite prospect and obvious cancer in the eyes of many. Not saying it’s an incorrect perception, just interesting to me.

I propose that desire to play football is a pretty important data point when judging potential at the next level.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Newy25 said:

That is a huge fucking red flag. Holy shit. 

Yup

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

I think he's showing exactly what his position on school sports is (purely a stepping stone) and you can now take that into account as a college prospect.

He had to play high school sports to get his shot at the next level, that's the way it works and it's just a high school he happened to be in the district for, not a team he really chose to play for, but at every level from here on up that choice will get taken into account. 

And fwiw I hate it for a UT commit, it's very bad for our class as it stands. Wish he'd decided earlier on a lot of levels.

You’re such a fucking dumbass if you don’t 100% this as a character concern issue. I assume you think highly of Juwan Mitchell as well if you’re okay with this. “Opting out is quitting,” - Steve Sarkisian

• Fuck You 11

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting