Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

For those curious, here were A&M's photo setups

What happened to our photo setup with all the white bulbs in the background? That was way cooler than the plain orange screen and barrel set ups we had this weekend 

39 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Supposedly Bryce is already going back to Aggy tomorrow. Not great

Just like when Sark was first hired, seems like Aggy is trying to race out quick and lock people in before they take other visits while we're taking a more patient approach. We gotta make sure we get guys on campus before they take the Aggy bags

If we lose out on Anderson I'm not sure where we go.  Haven't seen any other Safety's mentioned in a while.

(Steve Wiltfong) Inside Top247 RB TreVonte' Citizen's official visit to Texas

Spoiler

Lake Charles (La.) College Prep Top247 2022 running back TreVonte' Citizen took his first official visit over the weekend to the University of Texas.

“Oh man it was a great time,” Citizen’s father Tony told 247Sports. “We enjoyed ourselves. The hospitality was awesome with the coaches and the staff and the administration and the guys got the opportunity to see the campus and meet with the head coach 1-on-1 before we left.”

The Longhorns are battling the likes of LSU, Arkansas, Texas A&M, USC and Auburn for the 6-foot, 217-pound Citizen’s signature. They made a big impression on this visit.

“I got an opportunity to speak with the running backs coach for quite a bit,” the elder Citizen said. “His vision, he has 26 years of experience as a running backs coach. Seeing some of the players that he’s coached and is coaching now, he’s a father figure to them and how he treats his kids and just being up front. That was one thing TreVonte’ and I were looking at, we want to make sure the coaches have the vision to understand and be truthful up front with their wording and not just painting a picture.

“I think it was a good. Texas is something that his high on his list, very high on his list.”

Tony Citizen spoke on some other highlights from the trip.

“The bond the coaches have among each other, not only that but the bond the coaches have with their players. It’s not just one particular coach or position coach, it’s several coaches. It’s like you could go to any coach and discuss anything. We enjoyed the academic sessions, got a chance to listen to some of the academic advisors and what they offer and the athletic director spoke just letting them know a young man down the road if they plan to move on after a couple years to the professional level they have the opportunity to come back and their scholarship will still honor that to finish up school.

“The stadium was really, really nice. I know they’re doing construction, but what they have coming up is really, really nice.”

The elder Citizen added he thought Steve Sarkisian would bring a SEC style offense to the Big 12.

“Oklahoma and the Big 12 they’re not used to the style he’s bringing,” Citizen said. “I think it will be a good more of a run-type style but still passing and getting the back out. I think it’s going to be a change of offense, his vision for what he has coming into his football program they’re going to be interesting to see.”

20 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

What happened to our photo setup with all the white bulbs in the background? That was way cooler than the plain orange screen and barrel set ups we had this weekend 

It was in the SEZ side that got torn down. Not sure why we don't have a better setup in the meantime. I personally was a fan of the shots we had in the UT Athletics HOF

Edited by Mason Ramsey

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I didn't think this was that confusing. 

Regarding #2, most schools can't do it because they either can't play or they're not a blue blood/near-blue blood program. It's not a portal dependent strategy when the program is stable. The portal generally will benefit these programs as they can always cherry-pick and it also makes it easier to dump out of talent on campus that has proven itself to not be above replacement value. 

Regarding #3, the portal will be a major component for how these programs continue to roster build and/or they will pursue players that they can lock into without having to compete with Bama or Texas that can still get them to a top 5 level of performance nationally. OU is more the former, although they've taken the latter approach on defense the past few years and have been punished when they didn't, while ISU is the latter in exemplary fashion. Programs in this category will do a deal if they have to and don't feel like they're just going to be a hat thrown into the ring and they believe in the player, but bleh overall on it. Auctions don't favor them and usually don't fit the culture, either. If OU were going to be less portal dependent, they'd fit more into group #2, but the recent word and the existing data both point to Riley viewing the portal as worthy of a chunk of his yearly numbers to the tune of 5-8 guys a year. 

People arguing that Texas looks more like #3, sure, that's right now and wasn't the intent of the post. The program is going to try to use most of its numbers on high school prospects and use its brand to grab 1-3 guys a year that move the program further up the ladder towards or within the elite. Up or Out, the bottom 10% will always need to be cleaning their lockers out. 

I was going back and forth on this notion in some depth with a guy involved with it all and if you start trying to just bucket P5 teams into one of the four categories by conference, it becomes pretty easy. 

For example, the Pac 12:

Washington - #3

Washington State - #3

Oregon - #1

Oregon State - #3

Stanford - #2 (we could argue they're #4, but Harbaugh and Shaw have both gotten some shit done when they needed to at Stanford)

Cal - #3

USC - #2

UCLA - #4

ASU - #2 (the only fuzzy one for me because you can argue they're not a "near-blue blood" but they're acting like it and butting heads with the powers across the country for players and starting to pick some of them up)

UA - #3/fucked up/unknown due to new staff

Utah - #3 (they might actually be the perfect example of #3)

CU - #3

Bear coming for an unofficial to Austin tomorrow.  So now we are foolish. I like to think it means we are getting the “recruiting infrastructure” in place?

CTJ - thoughts on this action after your insider convo?  moving to tier 1 now?

Edited by mantis toboggan

IT

Spoiler

DB Bryce Anderson, West Brook (Beaumont, TX) - 2022:

IT confirmed that Beaumont West Brook defensive back Bryce Anderson will be back in College Station on Wednesday. His father helps with taking young kids to 7v7 and camps when he can, and is driving up three young, talented prospects from West Brook for camp at Texas A&M tomorrow.

Anderson is making the trip as well. Texas A&M is making as hard of a push as they can for the 5-foot-11.5, 186-pound versatile defensive back. He still has official visits to Alabama on June 18th-20th and Texas on June 25th-27th and a decision on July 4th remains scheduled. Buckle up.

RB TreVonte Citizen, Lake Charles College Prep (Lake Charles, LA) - 2022:

Playing running back roulette with the Class of 2022, one squarely on the priority list enjoyed himself during his Austin official visit.

“It went real good,” said Citizen. “ The facility and upcoming facilities stand out, also how the staff cares so much about the players.”

The 6-foot-0, 217-pound rolling ball of knives is deep on the heart of LSU country, so the Horns had to make this trip special. They slayed with Name, Image, and Likeness.

“NIL was big,” Citizen said. “And how well (Texas) is going take advantage of it.”

The four-star ran a 11.33 100 and a 22.19 200 in 2021. He also ran third leg on Lake Charles College Prep's 4x200 relay that captured gold at the May 2021 Louisiana 3A state meet. He's tallied 1, 121 yards rushing and 14 touchdowns during his career at Lake Charles College Prep.

After seeing Baton Rouge and Austin last week, he's headed to Texas A&M on June 11th-13th, USC on June 17th-19th, and Arkansas on June 25th-27th. He tells IT he'd like to decide before the beginning of his senior year.

LB Jeremy Patton, Tenaha (Tenaha, TX) - 2022:

"Man, it was crazy. I'm in love with it." - Patton, on his trip to Austin

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound inside linebacker target came away from his UT official visit infatuated. When you arrive to your official sporting the school's jersey, that's always a good sign.

"They treated us like family," said Patton. "They answered all our questions. I hung out with D-Mo (Demarvion Overshown) and Jaylan Ford. They kept it honest. They told me the truth on what it was and wasn't. The only complaint was parking."

Join the club, Jeremy. Despite the problems parking your car, Patton loved the rest, including much-needed one-on-one time with Steve Sarkisian.

"I was talking with coach (Steve) Sarkisian early during my trip, then during our dinner, he found me and we just spoke, man-to-man. We didn't even talk about football. It was about me and my family."

Patton certainly had a post-visit buzz, but insists he'll still see Michigan and Baylor during the month of June.

Texas has the pace car here, and I expect Patton to enjoy his other trips, but last weekend made some kind of impression. It's burnt orange until further notice.

LB Junior Tuihalamaka, Bishop Alemany (Mission Hills, CA) - 2022

The linebacker from the Los Angeles area spoke with Inside Texas after his first official visit, a long-awaited trip to Austin.

Inside Texas: Now that you've slept on it and had a day or so to think about it, what were your overall impressions about being in Austin and seeing UT?

Junior Tuihalamaka: Overall, it was greater than I could ever expect. The coaching staff, the players, the city, the people, everything was great out there.

IT: This was your first official visit, so was this experience what you were expecting when you finally were able to make the trek?

JT: Yeah.

IT: I know on official visits, the coaches get a lot more detailed when they're able to talk with you and show you film. What were some of the X's and O's you saw that stood out to you about how you might be used at Texas?

JT: The pros were me coming in and playing inside linebacker. They see me playing inside linebacker and being a leader on that defense there because Coach Choate was showing me how there's four or five seniors right now, about three freshmen and some sophomores, so I can really come in and fight and compete for a job and start as a freshman. That was a big standout for me. The defense itself, they ran it at Washington. Washington was doing tremendous things with the players they had in the draft, so it speaks for itself.

IT: What about seeing what else UT had to offer?

JT: Academics. That was a big thing because academics is a big thing for me and my family. I want to major in business. They're top five in the country for business. That's huge for me. They're top 20 for overall school. That was a big standout for me, my dad, and my brother to see that. The coaching staff was great. The players themselves spoke of the coaches.

IT: Most players in this program were not recruited by Coach Sark. So was it a positive thing to see that all these guys are already giving positive reviews of a coach they've only known for a couple of months?

JT: Yeah. I spoke to most of the host players. They gave me their overview about Coach Choate and the coaching staff itself. They told me about how Coach Sark is just an outstanding leader for the team itself, and Coach Choate, Coach PK. They were just telling me how they're developing them to go to the next level, which the other staff wasn't. They were able to do that, but they weren't pushing them to the limits where they can get to that next level. They all can see themselves developing and being great players and great student-athletes off the field. The hosts spoke well about Coach Sark and the rest of the coaching staff.

IT: I saw a few of the pictures that came from your visit. I know there's a strong Polynesian culture out on the West Coast with football, but with someone like Jake Langi here who can bring that to a place like Texas and offer that same type of thing, does it make it a bit easier to venture that far?

JT: Coach Langi, that's one of the biggest pros of them all to be honest. To have someone from your culture, to understand how the families think. Them having me dress up in the culture and everything, it brought tears to my dad because you wouldn't see this anywhere else. Langi is doing it over here in Texas. You can just see how Langi's able to care for me and understand how I can develop into a greater man than I already am. My dad just loves to know there's someone out there to be there by my side and help me when I need help.

IT: Do you plan on trying to get back to Austin at some point?

JT: We're talking about coming back for a game. I definitely want to see the fans. I definitely want to see a game and overall see the players go out there and ball out. Just cant wait to come back out there for sure. Definitely excited.

Tuihalamaka has South Bend and Notre Dame on the schedule this weekend (June 11th-13th), and mentioned setting up possible stops at Oregon, USC, and Arizona State. The Fighting Irish had the advantage entering the visit, and it remains to be seen where that's at right now. He certainly passed the eye-test among the UT staff and vice versa.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Gerry

Spoiler

And it was a little late to add ... former Georgia verbal Bear Alexander will be in Austin for an unofficial visit Wednesday. He will be accompanied by a family member. Texas A&M is considered the favorite headed into the visit.

Let me just say this ... let's see who shows up tomorrow on this trip to Austin.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Gerry

Hide contents

And it was a little late to add ... former Georgia verbal Bear Alexander will be in Austin for an unofficial visit Wednesday. He will be accompanied by a family member. Texas A&M is considered the favorite headed into the visit.

Let me just say this ... let's see who shows up tomorrow on this trip to Austin.

There is always an uncle? 

Spoiler

in before 'username checks out'

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mason Ramsey said:

It was in the SEZ side that got torn down. Not sure why we don't have a better setup in the meantime. I personally was a fan of the shots we had in the UT Athletics HOF

Makes sense. They need to up that shit for the next few weekends though

Just now, Tex-19 said:

Makes sense. They need to up that shit for the next few weekends though

Agreed. the only thing I can think of for what they used this weekend was that a lot of the guys were East Texas players so maybe they wanted a theme to sort of match that? I could be completely wrong but that's all I can think of with the barrels and shit.

15 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

Agreed. the only thing I can think of for what they used this weekend was that a lot of the guys were East Texas players so maybe they wanted a theme to sort of match that? I could be completely wrong but that's all I can think of with the barrels and shit.

I have no evidence of this outside of her job title, but it feels like Taylor Searels' doing.

I have no evidence of this outside of her job title, but it feels like Taylor Searels' doing.

Taylor: yah I remember seeing the headlines about the USC stuff, but so glad you’re sober now!

Sark: thanks, Taylor.

Taylor: but enough of that, come check out our new whiskey barrel photo backdrop!
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, NoName said:

I really don't like the All Gas No Brakes background that looks like they picked up the letters at Fredericksburg Trade Days and is staged in a barn after a wedding.

I get a real Macy’s “Deck The Halls” holiday display vibe from it

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting