32 minutes ago, NoName said:

yikes.

tweet timeline

• 5/31: excited about going to Athens GA
  • 6/2: visit pics from UGA
  • 6/2: picture with others on visit? commits? to UGA using #GoDawgs
  • 6/6: visit pics from A&M
  • 6/7: decommit from UGA

that's........................about as transparent as his commit out of the blue to UGA in the first place.

Maybe, but literally everyone following this expected it. I'd rather he be the "unexpected" Aggy 5* bag drop than someone like Leal/Demas we were more invested in.

The Athletic: Texas Longhorns football recruiting: Analysis on Jaydon Blue and Steve Sarkisian’s entire 2022 class

Spoiler

Texas Longhorns football recruiting: Analysis on Jaydon Blue and Steve Sarkisian’s entire 2022 class

sark-tracker-1024x683.jpg
By Sam Khan Jr. Jun 5, 2021 comment-icon@2x.png 6 save-icon@2x.png

Since taking over the Texas job in January, Steve Sarkisian has leaned in on the motto, “All Gas, No Brakes.”

That is also a fitting description of the Longhorns’ June, as Sarkisian and his staff are wasting no opportunities to evaluate and make an impression upon recruits. Texas is hosting dozens of visitors and 10 camps during the 28 days schools are allowed to conduct in-person recruiting this month.

As the Longhorns look to add to their 2022 haul, which is ranked ninth in the country and second in the Big 12, let’s review the eight commitments who are already in the class and the skills they’ll eventually bring to Austin.

From now until signing day, this list will be updated as new commitments come in and more data is gathered on the prospects.

All rankings are from the 247Sports Composite. Most recent commitments are listed first.

Zac Swanson, DL

Hometown: Phoenix, Ariz.
High school: Brophy College Preparatory
Ranking: Four-star, No. 360 overall, No. 55 DL
Date of commitment: April 26, 2021

Texas’ most recent commitment is Sarkisian’s second from the West. Sarkisian, new defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski and linebackers coach Jeff Choate all have extensive experience in that region so it makes sense that they’ll utilize those connections. Swanson is a big-bodied lineman (6-foot-4, 255 pounds) with good strength. He shows the ability to overpower offensive linemen and has myriad pass rush moves to get around them. He has good awareness at the line of scrimmage and is versatile enough to play inside and on the edge (he also plays tight end for Brophy).

Kristopher Ross, DL

Hometown: Houston, Texas
High school: North Shore
Ranking: Four-star, No. 267 overall, No. 36 DL
Date of commitment: March 23, 2021

As a defensive tackle in North Shore’s four-man front, Ross displays good quickness for his frame (6-3, 280 pounds). He sheds blockers quickly in the run game and has the strength to effectively bull rush them. He shows good pursuit speed when pressuring quarterbacks but also can chase down a ballcarriers far downfield. Ross is a dual-sport star; he finished fourth in the shot put at the Texas Class 6A state track championships with a throw of 60 feet, 3 1/2 inches (his personal best is 60 feet, nine inches). Given his athleticism and body type, he could play multiple positions in Texas’ defensive front.

Bryan Allen Jr., safety

Hometown: Aledo, Texas
High school: Aledo
Ranking: Four-star, No. 89 overall, No. 6 safety
Date of commitment: Feb. 28, 2021

Named the defensive player of the year in Texas’ second-highest classification last season, Allen led Aledo to a state championship. The 6-foot safety is instinctive and closes on the ball and on ballcarriers quickly. He has impressive range as a pass defender but also doesn’t hesitate to stick his nose in the box in run defense. A former LSU commit before reopening his recruitment and pledging to Texas, Allen received a late-May offer from Alabama. He’ll visit Austin on June 18.

Maalik Murphy, QB

Hometown: Gardena, Calif.
High school: Junipero Serra
Ranking: Four-star, No. 74 overall, No. 7 QB
Date of commitment: Feb. 13, 2021

Murphy is big, strong and plays that way. At 6-4, 225 pounds, he has tremendous arm strength that makes so many of his throws look effortless. He recently won the long ball challenge at Steve Clarkson’s “QB Retreat.” When a softer touch is needed, Murphy provides that. He excels throwing from the pocket but can make throws on the run and off-balance throws, too. When running, his size makes him tough to tackle. He’ll take his official visit on June 18.

Trevell Johnson, LB

Hometown: Arlington, Texas
High school: Martin
Ranking: Three-star, No. 486 overall, No. 48 LB
Date of commitment: Feb. 13, 2021

Johnson is the only three-star prospect in a class of four-stars, but his ability jumps off the screen. He possesses impressive closing speed and packs a punch when meeting ballcarriers. He’s versatile enough to play on the edge and in the middle of the field, and he is also a special teams ace for Martin (he was the district special teams MVP in 2020). He compiled a combined 208 tackles and 26 tackles for loss over the last two seasons. He’ll officially visit the weekend of June 18.

Jaydon Blue, RB

Hometown: Klein, Texas
High school: Klein Cain
Ranking: Four-star, No. 48 overall, No. 4 RB
Date of commitment: Feb. 2, 2021

Last month, Blue raised eyebrows when he announced that he’s skipping his senior football season to preserve and prepare himself for his Longhorns career. How or if it will impact his college career is unknown, but there’s no questioning Blue’s ability. He’s productive, running for a combined 3,767 yards and 46 touchdowns in the last two seasons. A stout 5-11 1/2, 205 pounds, Blue has the speed to run away from defenders and the power to shed tackles or, if necessary, run over them. He’s a patient runner with good vision and can catch passes, too. It’s easy to see why he’s the highest-ranked player in Texas’ class.

Armani Winfield, WR

Hometown: Lewisville, Texas
High school: Lewisville
Ranking: Four-star, No. 106 overall, No. 14 WR
Date of commitment: Jan. 12, 2021

Winfield was the first commitment of the Sarkisian era, pledging to the Longhorns during Sarkisian’s first official day on the job, which followed Sarkisian helping Alabama secure a national championship. In three varsity seasons, Winfield caught 128 passes for 1,730 yards and 16 touchdowns. Winfield is tall (6-2) and lean (180 pounds), runs smoothly and vertically stretches defenses with his long stride and acceleration. He’ll also win jump balls. He’s slated to visit Texas the weekend of June 18.

Jaylon Guilbeau, CB

Hometown: Port Arthur, Texas
High school: Memorial
Ranking: Four-star, No. 156 overall, No. 19 CB
Date of commitment: Sept. 19, 2020

Guilbeau was originally the third commitment in the class following Phaizon Wilson and Quinn Ewers, but both decommitted in October, making Guilbeau the longest-standing 2022 commit. As a junior, he played both boundary and field corners, and during 7-on-7 this spring he has also played the slot. His length helps him make consistent plays on the ball, and he is willing to mix it up with receivers at the line of scrimmage. He’ll visit Texas the weekend of June 25, but hasn’t ruled out visiting other schools.

(Photo of Steve Sarkisian: Adam Davis / Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

What did you think of this story?
rating-meh@2x.png
MEH
rating-solid@2x.png
SOLID
rating-awesome@2x.png
AWESOME
Khan-Sam-HEadshot-031521-.jpg
Sam Khan Jr. is a senior writer for The Athletic, covering college football and recruiting primarily in Texas. Previously, he spent eight years covering college sports at ESPN.com and seven years as a sports reporter at the Houston Chronicle. A native Houstonian, Sam graduated from the University of Houston. Follow Sam on Twitter @skhanjr.

1 minute ago, Teryor said:

Maybe, but literally everyone following this expected it. I'd rather he be the "unexpected" Aggy 5* bag drop than someone like Leal/Demas we were more invested in.

Williams left 5/10 for what it's worth.

and no, not "literally everyone" did or there would be more than Perroni with a CB in place and he would have it as higher than a 6 rating.

We have a lot of needs at both spots. Our DL is talented now, but the situation gets a lot dicier in 1-2 years when all of Collins, Sweat and Coburn are gone, so we definitely need to load up on DL. I’ve been glad to see how many OOS DL we’re going after instead of settling for in-state guys way down the order. 

It’s hard to say right now who our most likely commits are, but we’re in it for enough quality prospects that I think we’ll end up with a good DL class. 

Edge will be interesting. We really need to land Brown. I’m not even sure what other Edge prospects we have a good shot with at this point. 

Yeah, I wouldn’t argue that edge isn’t a need because it obviously is, but you have to recruit the replacements for those guys you mentioned now to grow them into the position. Interior DL is not where you want to rely on young guys. Most of them aren’t Alfred Collins.

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah, I wouldn’t argue that edge isn’t a need because it obviously is, but you have to recruit the replacements for those guys you mentioned now to grow them into the position. Interior DL is not where you want to rely on young guys. Most of them aren’t Alfred Collins.

2023 is a loaded DL/Edge class.

Catching up with a metroplex offensive lineman post-visit, notes and quotes from an East Texas edge backer, and another d-line target to watch. Enjoy the evening news.

OL Cole Hutson, Frisco (Frisco, TX) - 2022:

Thank goodness for the NCAA baseball seeding committee. Because the Arizona State Sun Devils made it the Texas Regional, the football staff was able to see a prized prospect for an extra weekend.

At 6-foot-3, 290 pounds, the four-star with 14 offers including Alabama, OU, and Texas A&M was in Austin for his second time in two months.

“The energy in Austin was palpable," said Scott Huston, Cole's father. "Coach (Steve) Sarkisian and Coach (Kyle) Flood were fantastic. Their whole team was amazing. Can’t wait to be back next week to see them again. Cole was impressed in every way. The baseball was disappointing for ASU but it was great to be at the game with coach Flood and see a packed stadium. Imagine 108K screaming fans for football season.”

I can imagine. The Hutsons did a good bit of traveling during the dead period, so they've seen the schools they have interest in. OU and Texas A&M official trips remain in June, but Hutson will be back in the ATX this weekend for his official trip.

No word if they'll be taking in any NCAA Super Regional action, but the baseball team impressed Mr. Hutson.

“Texas has some great talent on their baseball team,” said Scott Hutson. “Big-time arms and a strong squad. Really impressed with their team.”

Thanks, NCAA.

EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX)- 2022:

You never get a second chance at a first impression, so thankfully the Texas staff knocked this recruiting weekend out of the park.

The 6-foot-4, 215-pound four-star defender was overwhelmed by his trip to Austin over the weekend.

"It had everything," said Brown. "All love. The staff and players made us feel comfortable and a part of the family. Being with D-MO (Demarvion Overshown) and Keondre (Coburn) was a blast. I hung with Jeremy Patton (Tenaha LB) too and we had the best time."

The family atmosphere? Check. The facilities? Check. The relationships with Pete Kwiatkowski, Jeff Choate, and Steve Sarkisian? Check. But that Name, Image, and Likeness sales pitch really hit home.

"(Texas) was telling me about NIL and how we'll be able to make money while we're in school," said Brown. "And then the reinvestment portion was something my family loved. Overall, it was hard to find one thing that didn't impress me."

After a banner junior season with 67 tackles, 20 tackles for loss, six sacks, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, and one interception for the district champion Tigers, Brown's exposure increased dramatically. He's set to see Texas Tech on June 18th-20th, Baylor on June 25th-27th, and OU on September 17th for its game with Nebraska. He was slated to see Texas A&M next, but Brown told IT he'll no longer make that trip.

Texas did well this weekend and easily set the bar for what official visits should resemble.

DT Jadon Scarlett, Coram Deo Academy (Flower Mound, TX)- 2022:

I was able to see the 6-foot-2, 265-pound defensive lineman up close at the SMU mega camp over the weekend.

Texas offered the three-star in March, and is keeping tabs on the private school product.

"UT's message for me is to keeping doing what I do on the field, potentially help them out," Scarlett said. "The staff see me at the 3-tech. Right now, I'm trying to take an unofficial to Texas, but with my parents schedule it's difficult to do at the moment."

It's hard to know how much the Horns are actually pushing at the moment, but he's got others he'll see soon. He's taking an official to Texas A&M on June 11th-13th, then hitting Missouri on June 25th-27th.

He holds 24 offers including OU, Michigan, Penn State, and Arizona State, but I get the sense A&M might hold the cards here.

Not that surprisingly, it sounds like our new bunch has solid visit weekend game.

Glad to hear the weekend went well and hopefully a talent deluge will commence soon...ready to get back on the ass-kicking track this season, including an early thumping of Arky.

Roach

Spoiler

— 2022 Largo (Fla.) Pinellas Park kicker Robert Gunn reported an offer from the Longhorns over the weekend after a private workout. Gunn already held offers from Florida Atlantic and the service academies, and he did enough in front of Jeff Banks to earn a Texas offer. Gunn has visits left to Georgia, Florida and Clemson, but he's expected to make a decision in the next few weeks.

— I mentioned in The Stampede that there are some big-time prospects that could make trips in June. Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy safety Kamari Wilson is one name I've heard that could make a trip to Austin while he's in Texas later this summer. Tyler Legacy running back Jamarion Miller is another. Miller told Horns247 a few weeks ago that he planned to make a trip to Austin, and he re-affirmed that today. I've heard the name of two other prospects committed to other schools that could be visiting as well, but I'll need to confirm them before reporting.

— In talking with coaches at the SMU camp and around the country, the subject of recruiting fatigue came up multiple times. Because of the nature of this summer, some coaches have sensed some burnout in recruits early on. While it was a common thought that later visits would be more advantageous, one coach I spoke with cautioned that families could be exhausted by the time they reach the last weekend in June. Obviously the experience is different for each family, but I thought it was interesting that it came up a few times.

Just now, Machinator said:

Roach

Hide contents

— 2022 Largo (Fla.) Pinellas Park kicker Robert Gunn reported an offer from the Longhorns over the weekend after a private workout. Gunn already held offers from Florida Atlantic and the service academies, and he did enough in front of Jeff Banks to earn a Texas offer. Gunn has visits left to Georgia, Florida and Clemson, but he's expected to make a decision in the next few weeks.

— I mentioned in The Stampede that there are some big-time prospects that could make trips in June. Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy safety Kamari Wilson is one name I've heard that could make a trip to Austin while he's in Texas later this summer. Tyler Legacy running back Jamarion Miller is another. Miller told Horns247 a few weeks ago that he planned to make a trip to Austin, and he re-affirmed that today. I've heard the name of two other prospects committed to other schools that could be visiting as well, but I'll need to confirm them before reporting.

— In talking with coaches at the SMU camp and around the country, the subject of recruiting fatigue came up multiple times. Because of the nature of this summer, some coaches have sensed some burnout in recruits early on. While it was a common thought that later visits would be more advantageous, one coach I spoke with cautioned that families could be exhausted by the time they reach the last weekend in June. Obviously the experience is different for each family, but I thought it was interesting that it came up a few times.

Banks doin' work. 

Gerry

Spoiler

Inside Texas has learned that Austin Westlake OL Connor Robertson made an unofficial visit to Texas today. The 6-foot-4, 295-pounder has an OV scheduled to Northwestern June 11-13, Texas OV June 18-20 and Stanford June 25-27.

IT has also learned that Allen OT/G Neto Umeozulu is likely to make an OV to Texas A&M June 18-20.

And finally, IT was informed by a source on the Devon Campbell recruitment that despite the chatter coming out of the USC OV over the weekend, this source still believes Campbell stays close to home at the end of the day. Oklahoma OV June 18-20, and UOV to Texas possible for late in the month.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Gerry

Hide contents

Inside Texas has learned that Austin Westlake OL Connor Robertson made an unofficial visit to Texas today. The 6-foot-4, 295-pounder has an OV scheduled to Northwestern June 11-13, Texas OV June 18-20 and Stanford June 25-27.

IT has also learned that Allen OT/G Neto Umeozulu is likely to make an OV to Texas A&M June 18-20.

And finally, IT was informed by a source on the Devon Campbell recruitment that despite the chatter coming out of the USC OV over the weekend, this source still believes Campbell stays close to home at the end of the day. Oklahoma OV June 18-20, and UOV to Texas possible for late in the month.

What chatter was there concerning Campbell?

2 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

Did Brown cancel his OV to aggy or did aggy tell him to not come cause they have moved on. An aggy I know says aggy told him to not come. 

Always believe an aggie. They never lie, cheat or steal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting