Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

22 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

He is Elko's lapdog. When it looks bad for Aggy he pushes his crystal ball and the narrative to another SEC school. Usually LSU. 

Maybe. But you will forgive me after the last 12-18 months that I find Texas message boards and paysites less than credible as well on OL recruiting. I remember when we were arguing if we would take 6 or 7 of the elite guys in 2021. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Would we actually consider taking 3 Rbs in the 2022 class if both Citizen and Gatson say yes and Blue actually gets his shit together? Or is Gatson just in the mix as a consolation prize (a good one but still) if Citizen heads elsewhere and/or we move on from Blue? 

Main reason I ask is that people around the kid seem to think Texas would take his commitment immediately if he decided to give one. Was surprised to hear that but obviously they could be wrong. 

So with Keilan Robinson on board, the RB room is definitely shored up for this season.

Three primary backs: Bijan Robinson, Roschon Johnson, and Keilan Robinson

Three other/spare backs: Jonathon Brooks, Gabriel Watson, Daniel Young (Watson and Young are gone after this season)

2022 RB recruiting class is up in the air. Will Jaydon Blue make it to campus? Who will be his fellow RB take? Trevonte Citizen? Tavorus Jones? Jamarion Miller (unlikely)? DeAnthony Gatson? (feels like he's the last option)

Reuben Owens is lined up for 2023 and there won't be a second RB take in that class.

Edited by UDontKnow

1 minute ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Would we actually consider taking 3 Rbs in the 2022 class if both Citizen and Gatson say yes and Blue actually gets his shit together? Or is Gatson just in the mix as a consolation prize (a good one but still) if Citizen heads elsewhere and/or we move on from Blue? 

Main reason I ask is that people around the kid seem to think Texas would take his commitment immediately if he decided to give one. Was surprised to hear that but obviously they could be wrong. 

I like you're thinking here. Whatever happens with Blue happens. Citizen is a RB1 and Gatson is a nice option at RB2. I wouldn't take Gatson until Citizen is very much committed. 

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

So with Keilan Robinson on board, the RB room is definitely shored up for this season.

Three primary backs: Bijan Robinson, Roschon Johnson, and Keilan Robinson

Three other/spare backs: Jonathon Brooks, Gabriel Watson, Daniel Watson (Watson and Young are gone after this season)

2022 RB recruiting class is up in the air. Will Jaydon Blue make it to campus? Who will be his fellow RB take? Trevonte Citizen? Tavorus Jones? Jamarion Miller (unlikely)? DeAnthony Gatson? (feels like he's the last option)

Reuben Owens is lined up for 2023 and there won't be a second RB take in that class.

I think Watson is decent. God forbid, he could win a conference game for us. Brooks is automatic redshirt. Young should be enthusiastic that he has a scholarship. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

No way. They wouldn't rob other position groups to take three RBs

• Like 2

Biased lapdog or not, the real question is how accurate do Wiltfong's comments like this tend to be?

I know his CBs are big bc he basically waits until the guy has already committed, but not sure how good his more speculative thoughts usually are

Just now, Tex-19 said:

Biased lapdog or not, the real question is how accurate do Wiltfong's comments like this tend to be?

I know his CBs are big bc he basically waits until the guy has already committed, but not sure how good his more speculative thoughts usually are

He's very accurate right before commitments, but nothing special at making long term predictions based on info and tea leaf reading 

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

He didn’t put a pick in so stfu about it. It doesn’t matter unless he does. 

(CJ Vogel) Notes From First Visit Weekend

Spoiler

I mentioned previously, the initial reaction from the first weekend of visits was superb.

Texas hosted a number of talented prospects on both official and unofficial visits. Derrick Brown, Jeremy Patton, Cole Hutson, De’Anthony Gatson and TreVonte’ Citizen were some of the bigger names on campus this weekend and the Longhorns appeared to have done a great job across the board.

*** On the Jeremy Patton front, he told Darius Terrell that the visit was phenomenal.

“I loved it. They checked every box for me. It’s going to be hard to beat Texas.”

Patton will be visiting Michigan next weekend and Baylor the weekend after that. I feel very good about Texas’ chances with Patton.

*** We will have more on Lake Charles, LA running back TreVonte’ Citizen this week, but he told Super K the visit was a 9/10 and that his time in Austin “exceeded expectations.”

*** Texas’ new Director of Recruiting Brandon Harris sent out a cryptic Tweet this afternoon.

We believe this Tweet is related to 2022 Gatson RB De’Anthony Gatson.

*** Frisco OL Cole Hutson made it back home this afternoon, I plan on hitting up Frisco this weekend to get some notes on Hutson.

*** Texarkana OLB Derrick Brown had himself a weekend in Austin as well. Texas has put itself in a great position for the talented 6’4″ star.

*** Nauife Tuihalamaka told our Super K the visit was a 10/10.

• Hook 'Em 1

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Recapping the weekend visit experience

Spoiler

It was a busy weekend for Texas as the Longhorns welcomed visitors to Austin for the first time in an official capacity under Steve Sarkisian. With the NCAA Baseball regional tournaments happening and several unofficial visitors stopping in along with the official visitors.

We talked with a number of sources over the weekend to see how everything went with the visitors on campus and what the Longhorns were able to sell during that time. Did Texas come away from the weekend with a sizeable bump in any of these recruitments? What were some features of the visit? How are the Longhorns utilizing the upcoming changes to the Name, Image and Likeness policies in college football?

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we recap the weekend and take a look at how the Longhorns can use the power of their brand as a recruiting weapon moving forward.

RECAPPING THE VISIT WEEKEND

— Tenaha linebacker Jeremy Patton came into the weekend with some buzz as momentum continued to mount for the Longhorns in this race. I was told that things went extremely well with Patton. While I expect him to end up in this class, I think he will take his visits and probably make a decision publicly at the end of June or into early July. Getting Patton to come with a few other east Texas prospects on the trip was a great move as they all felt at home together. Austin can often be an intimidating place for a kid from a small town, but I was told Patton loved the city and all of the possibilities of playing at UT. Texas has to hope they can hold on with trips to Oklahoma State, Michigan and Baylor still on the docket, but the word around Patton is very strong right now.

— The strongest feedback I heard was that of Texas High edge rusher Derrick Brown. The long east Texan rated the visit a 10/10 and told me, “There’s nothing that didn’t stand out.” The Longhorns were hoping to blow him away enough coming into this trip to keep the momentum once he made his other trips. A big hurdle is out of the way as Brown told me he canceled his Texas A&M visit and will instead visit Texas Tech. I’m not sure the visit could have gone better for the Longhorns and am close to entering a 247Sports Crystal Ball in their favor. I want to wait a few days and see what happens when the visit high goes away, but I think the Longhorns have moved into a commanding position.

— Lake Charles (La.) College Prep running back TreVonte’ Citizen has more visits in front of him, but I was told the staff came away very pleased with this visit. LSU made up some ground last week after Citizen unofficially visited Baton Rouge, but I’m told by a key source in Louisiana that they still expect the big back to leave the state.  Citizen was hosted by David Gbenda and said the highlight was spending time with the staff and players. Citizen still has trips to USC, Arkansas and Texas A&M scheduled for later in the summer, so things could change depending on those trips. If all things are equal, Citizen is likely the top target for Texas after Jaydon Blue and a guy they’d really love to close the deal on.

— I haven’t heard a ton on Bishop Thomas as of yet, but I was told going into the visit that Bo Davis had put the Longhorns into a sneaky good position. It will likely be a head-to-head battle with Florida State, but the Longhorns are definitely at the top of his list. Bo Davis has been able to do a good job establishing position for the Longhorns. Will they be able to get Thomas out of Florida? That remains to be seen, but the little bit I have heard is that the staff received positive feedback from Thomas and his people coming out of the trip.

— Going into the visit weekend, Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany linebacker Niuafe Tuihalamaka was growing to be a heavy Notre Dame lean, but sources in Austin felt they did enough to pull even. Right now, the goal is to keep this a two-horse race between Texas and Notre Dame. The Longhorns could have a shot to topple the Irish if South Bend doesn’t measure up to the trip he had to Austin. The complication would be if Tuihalamaka involves programs like Oregon and USC and muddies the waters for everyone. Notre Dame gets their shot next week, and I expect them to take control back, but Texas has a legitimate shot in this race following the visit weekend.

— It was incredibly fortuitous for Texas that Arizona State was matched up with the Longhorns in the Austin Regional. That alone allowed Cole Hutson to come down and meet with the coaching staff unofficially a week before his official visit. Hutson’s feedback of the trip was very strong and Kyle Flood taking time to sit with him during the baseball game and talk endeared the Longhorns to him in a big way. Now with the introductions out of the way, Hutson will return next weekend with those good feelings still in him. I’ve always liked where Texas was in this race, but I love the fact they were able to host him two weekends in a row.

IMPRESSIONS OF SARK AND STAFF
From talking to parents and players, the reaction I got on meeting with Steve Sarkisian for the first time was extremely positive. “He’s the same in person as he is on the phone,” I was told by one person. “His authenticity really sticks out. You don’t get the feeling he’s playing a part or being someone he thinks you want him to be.”

From what I was told, Sarkisian and the entire staff were able to deftly walk the line of making the priorities feel special while also managing to make an impression on those players who may not be high on the Texas board. “The vibe there is just so different,” I was told by one parent who had visited under the last staff. “They’ve been able to bring a taste of whatever they did at Alabama that made them so successful.”

I mentioned on Monday that a parent I spoke with who previously had a bias against Texas came away extremely impressed with the entire operation. From everyone we spoke with, that sentiment was echoed over and over again. This parent told me that with the coming changes to the NIL policy in college football, the national brand power of Texas and Sarkisian’s offensive style, it’s hard to see why Texas wouldn’t be successful going forward.

One source remarked that while the Longhorns didn’t even have their full set up with all of the construction going, when they can show off the full facility and complex in the south end zone, it should only make the visit experience that much better.

This staff also knows how to work publicly and behind the scenes. I’ve heard the name of three or four high-profile recruits planning to take a trip to Austin at some point this summer for a visit. If Texas gets those names on campus, they could become players if the visits go as well as this weekend seemed to.

HOW PLAYERS WILL TAKE ADVANTAGE OF NIL OPPORTUNITIES
Speaking of brand power and the changing NIL policies, I was able to get an idea of how players will be able to market themselves. Texas contracted with a company out of Lincoln, Nebraska called Opendorse. The athlete marketing brand first came around in 2012, and they are positioned to play a big role in the next wave of college football.

The company works with programs like Clemson, Florida, LSU and Nebraska to be a full-service app to “serve the full lifecycle of supporting athletes: educating, assessing, planning, sharing, creating, measuring, tracking, disclosing, regulating, listing, browsing, booking, and more.”

This app would work like the popular celebrity appearance app Cameo. Players would have their own profiles where fully-vetted clients could reach out through the app and offer earning opportunities. Once those opportunities are offered, the player can decide whether or not he wants to accept. Payment can be made through the app and tracked electronically.

Those I spoke with felt having a plan in place like this one was a huge step in moving forward with plans. While some schools have pitched the idea of an earning stream for existing players, Texas actually having something nailed down going into the summer is huge.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Alabama now has two RB's committed in Henderson and Moss.  I wonder if they have still have room for Jamarion Miller?  

They do not even have room for the two they have committed. It’s not stopping them from taking more RB’s. 

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX) - 2022: The 6-foot-4, 215-pound four-star from East Texas was thoroughly satisfied with his entire official trip to Austin.

“There wasn’t anything that didn’t impress me and my family,” said Brown. “It had everything. Felt like home.”

From Steve Sarkisian to Pete Kwiatkowski to Jeff Choate, Brown felt like he bonded with the staff, while getting to hangout with DeMarvion Overshown and Keondre Coburn, amongst other players.

One of the biggest selling points was NIL. UT’s Name, Image, and Likeness sales pitch was extremely thorough. From ways to generate revenue on social media, to reinvestment plans with that revenue, Texas has the plan to act as soon as possible.

Brown took an unofficial to Lubbock earlier in the week, and now Texas Tech takes Texas A&M’s place on his official visit tour on June 18th-20th.

It was a Texas vs Texas A&M battle heading into the summer, but Brown tells IT he’ll no longer take that official visit to College Station.

UT did exactly what it needed to do with Derrick Brown and his family this weekend.

Brown could be looking at a July/August commitment timeline. Texas just needs to stay the course.

LB Jeremy Patton, Tenaha (Tenaha, TX) - 2022: It’s almost like inviting the East Texas kids for the same weekend was a good idea.

The 6-foot-2, 220 pound inside linebacker produced a staggering 25 touchdowns (20 rushing, 4 receiving, and one returned fumble) and 120 tackles last season for the Tigers. With 21 offers, including Michigan, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State, Austin was his first stop.

“Man, it was crazy,” said Patton, about his UT official visit. “(Texas) treated us like family.”

Overshown and Jaylan Ford were guys he enjoyed hanging out with, but Sarkisian making a point to speak with Patton one-on-one all weekend made the biggest impression on Patton.

He still has a trip to Michigan (June 11th-13th) and Baylor (June 18th-20) scheduled, and tells IT he’d like to make a commitment around September, but it may not take that long.

Of note: Alabama and LSU are still lurking.

RB DeAnthony Gatson, Newton (Newton, TX) - 2022: Coming from the small town of Newton, Austin can be overwhelming. Not for the three-star tailback.

Gatson was absolutely thrilled with his official trip to Austin this weekend, hanging out with the running backs, and just feeling like one of the guys.

For the 5-foot-11, 210 pounder, Gatson had always dreamed of getting recruited by the Longhorns.

He’s set to see USC and Colorado over the next few weeks, and could make a decision this summer.

With Keilan Robinson joining the fray today, we’re curious if Gatson remains a take, with TreVonte Citizen, Tavorus Jones, and Jamarion Miller also in the mix.

RB TreVonte Citizen, Lake Charles College Prep (Lake Charles, LA) - 2022: Another prospect who fell in love with UT’s Name, Image, and Likeness sales pitch, the 6-foot, 217-pound ball of butcher knives enjoyed his first official trip of the summer.

He’s a big fan of Stan Drayton, the family atmosphere, and what he can add to the Longhorns program. But how the staff cares about the players stood out the most.

He hit Baton Rouge on an unofficial visit earlier this week, and it’s only natural to believe LSU will remain a factor. But this trip might’ve moved the needle on the Louisiana native.

RB Jamarion Miller, Tyler Legacy (Tyler, TX) - 2022: Catching up with the four-star from ETX, Miller mentioned to IT he has a busy schedule in June, and that Austin could be a trip he makes.

“I’m going to find a day when I can come up there to Texas,” said Miller, who just took an official visit to Texas A&M over the weekend.

He still wants to see Alabama, Florida, and Oklahoma State, with no set timeline for a decision in sight.

Texas has always wanted Miller, and the staff has stayed persistent with the Rose City speedster. His fit is similar to that of Keilan Robinson, so we do wonder if that factors in (probably not).

We’ll get a better feel on the numbers soon.

OL Cam Williams, Duncanville (Duncanville, TX) - 2022: In catching up with a source close to the ginormous offensive tackle, it appears Texas and OU have made their way into his good graces. He’s still set to see Austin at the end of June.

Give Kyle Flood some much-due credit here. There were light conversations between UT and Williams with the previous staff, but Texas made Williams feel important, and stands to reason why they’ll be looking solid heading into June 25th-27th official trip to the ATX.

One source in Duncanville feels Texas may have the slight lead.

DT Bishop Thomas, Bishop Moore (Orlando, FL) - 2022: Defensive tackle Bishop Thomas (Bishop Moore/Orlando) made his official visit to Texas over the weekend, and walked away more than impressed.

“The whole visit was awesome,” Said the 6-foot-2, 293 pound defensive tackle prospect. “Everything was first-class, great and I loved the coaching staff.”

Thomas, who admittedly grew up a fan of both Florida State and Texas, was hosted on his official visit by Keondre Coburn.

“Snacks was my host. He told me the good and bad of everything about Texas and Austin, but mostly good. He said Texas is an awesome place, and that he loves being in Austin.”

It was the message about the new staff that was most important for Thomas to hear.

“Snacks said the new staff has made him love football again. It’s a big change in how the staff coaches, and interacts with the players.”

If the Longhorns eventually win out over Florida State and Tennessee, the relationship with Bo Davis will be key. “Coach Bo feels like an uncle to me. We just chill. He’s really cool. We just laugh and crack jokes.”

Thomas will make an official visit to a Tennessee next weekend, and end the official visit process with a trip to FSU June 25th-27th.

*Class of 2022 defensive tackle Bear Alexander (Fort Worth Brewer) is still expected to take an official visit to Texas June 18th-20th. The soft Georgia commit just took an official visit to A&M this past weekend. IT feels A&M has a good chance to flip him.

*Class of 2022 defensive tackle Cedric Roberts (Pflugerville Hendrickson) worked out for the Texas defensive staff on Saturday. IT does not expect the Longhorns to extend an offer to the 6-3, 275-pound one-time Baylor verbal.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Will LSU circle back to Trevonte Citizen?

1 hour ago, lemonandaturd said:

Alabama now has two RB's committed in Henderson and Moss.  I wonder if they have still have room for Jamarion Miller?  

Hopefully some people with common sense are in Jamarion's corner and tells him to look at the current RBs portaling out of Bama in addition to their two current recruits.

10 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Will LSU circle back to Trevonte Citizen?

Hopefully some people with common sense are in Jamarion's corner and tells him to look at the current RBs portaling out of Bama in addition to their two current recruits.

These are confident kids and if you rise to the top at Bama you're a guaranteed high draft pick. It works both ways.

You know, hidden in all of that blah blah there might be one key, true sentence:   “Snacks said the new staff has made him love football again. It’s a big change in how the staff coaches, and interacts with the players.”

We'll have to see it on the field, of course, but I wonder if that doesn't turn out to be one really insight into the actually emotional/cultural makeup of the team.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

if you are going to go enjoy the experience why are you picking East Lansing?

dunno but on the flipside, MSU is not a school I'd worry about anybody flipping to

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting