Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Speaking of fun, it must be a blast to get invited for an official to Texas or any other first rate school that is unlikely to offer you. Had I made it to my senior year of HS football I would have been an okay prospect. It would have been such thrill to come to Texas, suit up for picture, and get the royal treatment. Hell, Coach Royal would have been here when I would have been putting my talents up for wooing.

SIAP, more updates from Roach

Spoiler

Sunday 1:20 - Players are just leaving campus and wrapping up their official visits.  Early returns from the sources I spoke with are extremely strong right now.  I'm not sure the weekend could have gone any better for the Longhorns and this staff.  One source I spoke with said that while it was a whirlwind weekend for everyone, Austin sells itself like no other city.  We'll be continuing to connect with players and parents today but here are a few quick hits.

Texarkana Texas High EDGE Derrick Brown had what was described to me as an "exceptional" visit by a source close to him. Brown canceled his Texas A&M visit and will instead go to Texas Tech. While Oklahoma looms as a threat, this is very strong for Texas as Texas A&M was considered the biggest threat. I'm supposed to connect with Brown for an interview in a bit, but Texas emerged from this weekend the clear-cut leader in this recruitment.

Tenaha athlete Jeremy Patton was still finishing up when I checked with him.  I was told that things went very well with him as well and feel great about my Texas pick for his Crystal Ball.  Patton is expected to take his trips still, but I think Texas is gaining heavy momentum coming out of the trip.

I was told that Texas really closed the gap on Notre Dame in the race for four-star Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany linebacker Niuafe Tuihalmaka.  What was once a race they trailed in feels more like 50-50 coming out of the weekend.  Notre Dame will continue to push and still get their official visit in, so Texas will need to maintain that.

I was told that things were extremely positive with both running back targets TreVonte' Citizen and DeAnthony Gatson.  Texas is still sorting through the options at the RB2 position, but sources feel they came out of the weekend in a great position for Gatson and made a strong statement with Citizen.  There are going to be some other backs visiting most likely, so the staff will probably take some time and figure out who they want to push for.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

Texas is still working to host a couple of out-of-state longshots in the 2022 class.

S Kamari Wilson, IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL) - 2022: He was high-ish on the Horns early on, but UT missed his top-five. One school he is set to see this month is Texas A&M on June 24th. We're hearing there's a chance he hits Austin near that time as well. Georgia holds the cards right now, and we know Wilson likes the attention, but it’s somewhat noteworthy the staff is still in pursuit.

S Jacoby Mathews, Ponchatoula (Ponchatoula, LA) - 2022: Mathews and Texas became close over the spring. It was to the point UT appeared poised for the steal before LSU withstood the surge. He committed to the Tigers on April 23rd, and while he's likely sticking with the purple and gold, UT is still participating in the sweepstakes. A June visit is very possible, perhaps even when his friend Bryce Anderson visits on the last weekend of the month.

When Texas looks like it will finish 10-2 and LSU finishes 7-5, I wonder what Mathews will think. 

Five-star OL Kelvin Banks felt at home during official to LSU

Steve Wiltfong

Spoiler

Steve Wiltfong

LSU made a fast impression this weekend on Humble (Texas) Summer Creek five-star offensive lineman Kelvin Banks during his official visit to Baton Rouge.

“They treated me very well,” Banks said. “Better than I expected. They exceeded over what I expected. Immediately everything I saw made me feel like it could be a potential home for me in the future.”

Banks visit included checking out the football and academic facilities, good eating and hanging out with the players.

“It just feels like home because bonding with the players it felt like they could be my teammates,” Banks said. “There were some freshmen players if I do go in there I’d be playing with them and it does feel like a good fit for me.

“Coach (Ed) O(rgeron) is a great coach. You can tell he’s a family guy. He’s all about business but he can have fun with you as well.”

Banks wasn’t able to meet with new offensive line coach Brad Davis because Davis was still going through the process as a new hire but he has a long-standing relationship with him.

“I like him a lot,” Banks said. “I liked Coach (James) Cregg but I was really happy when Coach Davis was named new offensive line coach at LSU. The whole staff is great. They made me feel at home.”

Banks has future officials with Oregon, Oklahoma State, Oregon and Texas. He is ranked by the 247Sports Composite as the country’s No. 3 offensive tackle and No. 25 prospect overall.

image.thumb.png.b11b588213cd963ba1872905944e0045.png

7 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Steve Wiltfong

Hide contents

Steve Wiltfong

LSU made a fast impression this weekend on Humble (Texas) Summer Creek five-star offensive lineman Kelvin Banks during his official visit to Baton Rouge.

“They treated me very well,” Banks said. “Better than I expected. They exceeded over what I expected. Immediately everything I saw made me feel like it could be a potential home for me in the future.”

Banks visit included checking out the football and academic facilities, good eating and hanging out with the players.

“It just feels like home because bonding with the players it felt like they could be my teammates,” Banks said. “There were some freshmen players if I do go in there I’d be playing with them and it does feel like a good fit for me.

“Coach (Ed) O(rgeron) is a great coach. You can tell he’s a family guy. He’s all about business but he can have fun with you as well.”

Banks wasn’t able to meet with new offensive line coach Brad Davis because Davis was still going through the process as a new hire but he has a long-standing relationship with him.

“I like him a lot,” Banks said. “I liked Coach (James) Cregg but I was really happy when Coach Davis was named new offensive line coach at LSU. The whole staff is great. They made me feel at home.”

Banks has future officials with Oregon, Oklahoma State, Oregon and Texas. He is ranked by the 247Sports Composite as the country’s No. 3 offensive tackle and No. 25 prospect overall.

Orge has always been an excellent recruiter. But a huge advantage Sark and flood have is (I believe) the tigers don't have a good team. He still has 4 officials  I ain't worried. 

10 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Steve Wiltfong

Reveal hidden contents

Steve Wiltfong

Our 9.95ers are idiots if Fong is right. Source off time.

29 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Steve Wiltfong

Reveal hidden contents

Steve Wiltfong

image.thumb.png.3873aeceb58b1e333ee34ac122e2cf6f.pngYoure Wrong John C Mcginley GIF

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Pardon my ignorance, but how exactly does Wiltbong benefit from pushing LSU? And what does irrelevant aggy have anything to do with it?

He is usually high on schools that he has good sources at. He only changes his pics to the eventual school once it becomes well known. Hence the comment about him ruining kids picks. He gets fed info. He’s not a prolific picker. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Nahlin is throwing shade on Wiltfong because he thinks he is wrong or because Nahlin is just acting out like a petulant little 9.95 bitch? 

Wiltfong's only source in the state of Texas is Elko. It means unless the kid is an aggy lock, Wilfong has been very wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The thing I like about his game from his hudl is that he wraps when he tackles. He doesn't go for the hit stick hits. Also like that he gets away from blocks easily and uses his hands to tip the ball  when he can't hit the qb. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting