Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

22 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Someone broke the #1 rule of twitter, but Jaleel liked this post:

I see you've modernized your beard considerably.  If you still have your famous club, could you slam Tom Herman in the nuts; I mean he sneaked into this picture right next to you. @immamac

caveman GIF

• Haha 2

Eric Nahlin: Sark’s rough draft proof of concept

On the whole, yesterday couldn’t have gone much better if you’re one who follows recruiting. For all the talk of the California golden boy quarterbacks in the Clemson / Georgia game, the world was served up a cold dish of 11:00 a.m. Big Ten football. Final score, 10-7. Both schools are after Arch Manning with Clemson being UT’s greatest threat.

LSU lost to UCLA as the program degrades to the level you thought it would when Ed Orgeron was hired. Recruits might finally realize LSU won a national championship in spite of him, not because of him. With Terry Joseph, Bo Davis, and Cordae Hankton, Texas is better positioned than ever to recruit the Boot. OU gutted out a win over Tulane by the score of 40-35. A&M walked away from Kent State but it was close at halftime. A&M is recruiting well and that game won’t hurt them, but it won’t help them either.

It’s good for Steve Sarkisian to receive external help in recruiting for once, but in the end it will come down to earning convincing wins on the field. The types of wins that convince recruits Texas is finally, inarguably, on the way back.

Yesterday’s win over a well coached Louisiana squad was a good first step for the staff. Let’s no overdo it, it was just one small step, but Texas can’t return to national recruiting prominence without those types of steps taken in succession. One down, 11 to go. But, if you’re a recruit you have to like what you saw. Despite a veteran, experienced roster, the staff played a ton of young players and transfers.

If you’re Arch Manning, you like what you saw from the passing game and Hudson Card in his first career start. Arch doesn’t have to squint very hard to imagine himself in the same setting. While stringing convincing wins together is a necessary component to jump starting recruiting, landing Arch would be a cheat code. It would be instant momentum. Card playing well is important for now and four years down the road.

If you’re Evan Stewart, you like the shots downfield and the implied guarantee of early playing time. Not implied by Sarkisian, but implied by roster needs. Stewart assuredly sees Xavier Worthy out there getting snaps and punt returns and realizes the same will happen for him.

Jaleel Skinner — I can’t believe I’m typing his name but there is some momentum in the recruitment — will have noticed true freshman Gunnar Helm starting, albeit due to injury. He’ll see Cade Brewer’s usage and realize there will be a lot of snaps up for grabs after he departs.

If you’re a defensive back recruit, you probably noticed 10-12 different guys playing and many of them won’t be there next year. That’s opportunity knocking, whether at safety or cornerback. Similar to the secondary, a ton of defensive linemen were able to play. That’s inviting even if on paper the roster isn’t. After the season, Texas will likely need to extract an EDGE out of the transfer portal. Ovie Oghoufo getting after the QB was nice to see. Ray Thornton had a solid game.

Offensive line needs a talent infusion and Hayden Conner getting snaps in his first college game won’t go unnoticed by the Kam Dewberrys of the world. I’m confident the offensive line will continue to improve but it won’t be great. There will be early opportunity for high floor prospects like Kam Dewberry. All in all, it was a productive day for the program.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Justin Wells: Recruits React to Texas' 38-18 win over Louisiana

It would be difficult to find many faults in UT’s 38-18 win over the Ragin’ Cajuns on Saturday from DKR-Texas Memorial stadium. From recruits in the stands, to prospects watching on television, the game resonated well with the Texas targets.

OL Connor Robertson, Westlake (Austin, TX) (TEXAS) – 2022:

“It was fricken’ awesome,” said Robertson. “I was so glad to be there. Great to be back in DKR. That was a big win.”

EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX) (TEXAS) – 2022:

“I loved it,” Brown said. “I can’t wait until I’m playing in (DKR).”

RB Rueben Owens, El Campo (El Campo, TX) – 2023:

“I was great,” said Owens. “Love how their running backs looked. Good, team win. Love the (running backs) coming out of the backfield, catching the ball, and giving them the ball in open space.”

DB Ryan Yaites, Guyer (Denton, TX) – 2023:

“(UT) was a damn good football team,” Yaites said. “Well execution on both sides of the ball. And the defense did a great job.”

DB Ronald “Champ” Lewis, Easton (New Orleans, LA) (TEXAS) – 2022:

“It was great,” said Lewis. “The city, the campus, and the hospitality.”

WR Rohan Fluellen, Gilmer (Gilmer, TX) – 2023:

“Amazing,” said Fluellen. “The fans and game were amazing. And yes, it was very hot.”

We’ll have more in tomorrow’s Humidor.

Season just started so I think we'll start seeing more and more interest from prospects we didn't even know about going forward. If what Sark showed yesterday was just a tiny amount of what we're in store for, we are gonna get a nice class. WR'S had to love what they saw from Card, and RB speaks for itself. I'd think even linemen will see they can make an impact early, for good or bad. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Season just started so I think we'll start seeing more and more interest from prospects we didn't even know about going forward. If what Sark showed yesterday was just a tiny amount of what we're in store for, we are gonna get a nice class. WR'S had to love what they saw from Card, and RB speaks for itself. I'd think even linemen will see they can make an impact early, for good or bad. 

We will get a couple of flips.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Steve Sarkisian won his first game at Texas. After months of working to sell a vision, now there are on the field results to show top prospects. 

There was already belief that Texas would ascend under Sarkisian for members of the Longhorns’ Top 10 class.

One of those that is strong in the belief about the future of Texas football is On300 IOL Connor Robertson (Austin Westlake).

“I was actually thinking about this the other day,” Robertson told Inside Texas Thursday. “One of the main things is just keeping people in the state. In the last decade or so that’s been one of the issues. I think they do have everything to stay in Texas. The next thing is winning, and proving to people that they should stay here. And the guys from out of state, we will take you too. There is a lot of things, and hopefully Coach Sark and the staff are going to make that leap closer than another staff would have. That’s a reason I chose Texas. We have to make sure the best talent stays in Texas, as it should,”

The 6-foot-4, 295-pound Robertson believes the city of Austin will be a big sell when the wins pile up.

“I think once people realize and see Austin when Texas is winning, there are not many places like it. Austin is a special place. Once recruits and future prospects see what Austin and Texas is like when Texas is winning football games, they will want to come,”

In the months leading up to Robertson’s July 2 commitment to Texas, many Longhorns fans figured Stanford would be the pick. The No. 239 ranked prospect in the country knew it would be Texas after meeting the new staff. 

“I think a lot of reasons. The main one was just being comfortable with the school, and where I could see myself more. They were both great options, and every school that offered me was a great opportunity. Those were the two that stood out to me. I think Texas was always where I was meant to be. Growing up whenever someone asked where I would go play if I could go anywhere in the country, Texas was always the answer. After I went through the visits, and got to know the coaches more, I just felt comfortable.”

Robertson’s relationship with offensive line coach Kyle Flood began building from talk about where each grew up. 

“I have a real good connection with Coach Flood. Honestly, I think it started well because we are both from the Northeast. Obviously, I grew up there for most of my life, and he’s from close to me. He’s a really good coach in my opinion, and another reason Texas made sense for me was Coach Flood. Playing for that dude is one the reasons I’m going to Texas. Passing up on Coach Flood and Coach Sarkisian with the history they have would have been tough, especially growing up a Longhorns fan. He’s a really personable guy,” 

The Austin Westlake right tackle and guard is different than the majority of prospects. He didn’t attack the process with a future position defined. He just wants to win games. 

“I don’t know (where Texas will play him), and I don’t really care that much to be honest. There are guys that have a strong preference for tackle, center or guard. I know there are some guys that choose a school for that reason. I just have never really seen a big point in that. You play football to win the game. Great thing about the offensive line is there are five positions, and whichever you are best at is where you play. As long as we are winning football games, and Coach Sarkisian and Coach Flood thinks it helps win, I will play wherever.” 

The Texas top 10 ranked recruiting class includes 11 members of the On300. Top targets remaining on the board include five-star receiver Evan Stewart (Frisco, Texas/Liberty), five-star IOL Devon Campbell (Arlington, Texas/Bowie), five-star cornerback Denver Harris (Houston North Shore) and four-star receiver Brenen Thompson (Spearman, Texas). 

IT.

Edited by Coach pop a bitch
  • Hook 'Em 7

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting