EPL 2021-22

maninblack

13 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/protester-halts-play-in-everton-newcastle-clash-after/blt4571037b03366d41

Protester halts play in Everton-Newcastle clash after fastening themselves to goalpost

from the article..

• An individual attempted to glue themselves to the posts during Liverpool's win over Arsenal on Wednesday.

huh. guess i missed that... glue, you say?

18 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

this Leeds/Wolverhampton match has been insane.

Wolves up 2-0 at half.  domination.  Jimenez was sent off with a second yellow.  then Leeds scored two quick goals in succession.  now in the 8 minutes of extra time, Leeds takes the lead.  good for Jesse Marsch.  

Leeds have grabbed 4 points in stoppage time in their last two matches. Talk about huge when in a relegation scrap.

3 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

this Leeds/Wolverhampton match has been insane.

Wolves up 2-0 at half.  domination.  Jimenez was sent off with a second yellow.  then Leeds scored two quick goals in succession.  now in the 8 minutes of extra time, Leeds takes the lead.  good for Jesse Marsch.  

Great brief highlights…

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Checking back in to say I told you so back a couple of months ago when knuckleheads in here were bemoaning how boring the league was because City couldn't be caught. 

it is boring.. i am supposed to get excited that the only two teams that can win league this year are the same two teams who have won it for the last 4 years?

I could see why Liverpool and City supporters don't find it boring though.

32 minutes ago, yoladu said:

it is boring.. i am supposed to get excited that the only two teams that can win league this year are the same two teams who have won it for the last 4 years?

I could see why Liverpool and City supporters don't find it boring though.

The argument was that it was one team and Liverpool had no chance. I said that was ridiculous. 

And I showed that there was nothing unusual about it. Welcome to top tier soccer. Most leagues have 2 possible winners halfway through the season. 

13 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

The argument was that it was one team and Liverpool had no chance. I said that was ridiculous. 

And I showed that there was nothing unusual about it. Welcome to top tier soccer. Most leagues have 2 possible winners halfway through the season. 

Which is why MLS has playoffs.  MLS simply couldn't sustain the interest of the fanbase under a Euro model.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/21/2022 at 11:43 AM, alincoln said:

Which is why MLS has playoffs.  MLS simply couldn't sustain the interest of the fanbase under a Euro model.

If you’re not going to have relegation, and you’re not going to have a fight for Champions League, UEFA League, and whatever the 3rd Cup thing is…

Then you absolutely need to have a playoff. Just look at how baseball has had to evolve. 

If baseball eliminated the divisions within the National League & American League and got rid of inter league play, TV revenue would slow to a trickle in a single contract cycle. 

They have a playoff in the championship so why not the PL?

Champions league qualifying is only really an issue for the PL. 3rd and 4th in other domestic leagues aren't usually going to do much in the CL. They should just have top 6 from the PL.

They have a playoff in the Championship for a spot at promotion for the winner. That's only for teams 3-6. The 1st and 2nd teams in the Championship automatically get promoted. If you want to do a playoff for 4 through 8 to get the final Champions League spot, I guess. Otherwise a playoff makes no sense in the EPL. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/20/2022 at 10:34 PM, Huckleberry said:

i have no sympathy for city for anything ever but jesus christ...what a next couple of weeks.  after playing burnley this weekend, they have:

4/5: athletico (ucl)

4/10: liverpool (epl)

4/13: athletico (ucl)

4/16: liverpool (fa)

On 3/22/2022 at 6:25 PM, mdmost said:

They have a playoff in the Championship for a spot at promotion for the winner. That's only for teams 3-6. The 1st and 2nd teams in the Championship automatically get promoted. If you want to do a playoff for 4 through 8 to get the final Champions League spot, I guess. Otherwise a playoff makes no sense in the EPL. 

Why would they need a playoff when they already have two domestic cups (playoffs) and the possibility for Europe all the way down to like 7th in the table now. Plus the league structure is perfect. Unless someone runs away with it then every game has serious consequences. Look at NBA, MLB and how watered down the regular seasons are because the games just don’t really matter. Fuck that. I’d rather have one or two games that don’t matter, when every game before them was vital, than an entire month or two of guys going through the motions before the playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea teams that make it to the last 8 of Europe are such a push over

Dude. Benefica got out of group with 8 points because Barcelona is a shitshow and then got a lucky ass draw against Ajax. Look, I don’t care for Liverpool but they are an extremely elite team right now. There are about 6-8 clubs in the world that belong to the same strata as Liverpool and Benfica ain’t one of them. Bayern is and in group, they outscored them 9-2. Liverpool is going to buttfuck benefica like a Nazarene wave. 

Pretty cool reference at the end there if you ask me. 

anyone that would rather play Athletico twice instead of benefica is a fucking idiot. 

7 minutes ago, sidis said:

Dude. Benefica got out of group with 8 points because Barcelona is a shitshow and then got a lucky ass draw against Ajax. Look, I don’t care for Liverpool but they are an extremely elite team right now. There are about 6-8 clubs in the world that belong to the same strata as Liverpool and Benfica ain’t one of them. Bayern is and in group, they outscored them 9-2. Liverpool is going to buttfuck benefica like a Nazarene wave. 

Pretty cool reference at the end there if you ask me. 

anyone that would rather play Athletico twice instead of benefica is a fucking idiot. 

You’re complaining about playing Atletico who also is not anywhere near the class of City, Bayern, Pool. Which was Cheeses point originally that you for some reason took exception to. 
Atleti got out of their group with 7 points and is 4th in Spain. Behind Barcelona. And they can’t fucking score. They ain’t exactly world beaters. This isn’t the Atleti that played in UCL finals or even the one that beat pool a couple years ago.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1