2005 Rose Bowl - Texas vs Michigan

Rip76

Guest Lobo
18 hours ago, Nivek said:

Our kick coverage was so bad....

37 YPR on 6 kicks.  That kid lit us up.  That 50+ yarder in the 4th quarter was gonna be our downfall, I thought.  He ended up setting Rose Bowl and Michigan records against us in that game.  We were usually a pretty solid special teams program in those years too.  Didn't realize until I just looked it up, we also had 223 return yards.  Both teams combined for almost 500 yards in returns for a game that wasn't really that high scoring.  Pretty crazy.  

What a fun game that was.  I remember we watched it at Lavaca Street Bar.  I vowed to my then girlfriend, that we were going to next year's Rose Bowl if Texas made it.  She said "Well, that would mean Texas would be playing for the national championship because next year's BCS title game is in Pasadena."  I knew then I was going to marry her for knowing that, and 8 months after the Michigan Rose Bowl, we were engaged.  /csb   

I'd be content this year with something other than the Alamo or Houston Bowl.  Maybe Fiesta?  

I was at that game. It was a long day starting off going to the Rose Bowl parade. But what a fun trip. I have a commemorative football signed by Mack. Really wanted to go the next year but opted out not really thinking Texas had a chance due to all the SC love the media was pouring out. Plus, going to games like that are not for the weak. Just getting there, the full day of events, the game and afterwards getting home. But whoever went definitely got a game of their lifetime and an experience they’ll always remember. 

I am still amazed that last FG was good. It didn’t really show on tv, but in the stadium you could see it was slightly tipped and the Michigan sideline started to celebrate until it came down between the pipes. 
It was tipped? I've never seen that

22 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
24 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:
I am still amazed that last FG was good. It didn’t really show on tv, but in the stadium you could see it was slightly tipped and the Michigan sideline started to celebrate until it came down between the pipes. 

It was tipped? I've never seen that

Yup total knuckleball by the time it went through. 

It was a knuckle ball on tv. I was pissed that Mack chose to play for the fg the way did. I understand that it was the best bet, but I wasn’t overly confident in the kicker and wanted to shorten it up.

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

Second best sporting moment I have attended (G2 of 2017 World Series is #1).   I was all set to pay any price to go the ‘06 Rose Bowl, but got sent on a late notice six month deployment to Guantanamo Bay in December ‘05. 

AWOL was not an option?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, hookemATL said:

I saw some high resolution pictures someone took of the kick.  It looked like the ball passed through the arms of a Michigan player and slightly grazed his arm.  My seats in the end zone were so shitty it looked perfectly fine to me.  

13 minutes ago, Zone Read said:

I saw some high resolution pictures someone took of the kick.  It looked like the ball passed through the arms of a Michigan player and slightly grazed his arm.  My seats in the end zone were so shitty it looked perfectly fine to me.  

shazorrosebowlblock_thumb.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, jeevsie said:

I was there.

/csb

A buddy and I got kicked off the bus from the Staples Center to the Rose Bowl for drinking beer on the (school) bus. We knew we weren’t supposed to drink, we just thought they wouldn’t do anything about it. 

We immediately got off the bus, stashed all our beers in our clothing, got on the next bus, and drank beer on it much more quietly than we had on the first bus. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Zone Read said:

rosebowlfieldgoal.jpg

10 hours ago, Brandywine said:

I was at that game. It was a long day starting off going to the Rose Bowl parade. But what a fun trip. I have a commemorative football signed by Mack. Really wanted to go the next year but opted out not really thinking Texas had a chance due to all the SC love the media was pouring out. Plus, going to games like that are not for the weak. Just getting there, the full day of events, the game and afterwards getting home. But whoever went definitely got a game of their lifetime and an experience they’ll always remember. 

My Day at the Rose Bowl (ndnation.com)

It became somewhat of a meme on one of ND's oldest fan sites. 

6. For the coin toss they have former Texas and Michigan legends Darrel Royal and Bo Schembechler come out. The Michigan crowd wails like they have seen the face of God, unaware that Bo's coaching achievements are the equivalent of having your cow win the Okeemos County 4H ribbon for ten consecutive years but never making it past the second-round milking qualifier at the state championship. Guy in front of me: "There goes a real coach." Me: "Yeah, I wonder if Royal is going to show Bo one of his National Championship rings."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

It was a knuckle ball on tv. I was pissed that Mack chose to play for the fg the way did. I understand that it was the best bet, but I wasn’t overly confident in the kicker and wanted to shorten it up.

Ok so that’s your version and probably the version a lot of fans shared at the time.

Here’s mine:

The year before, I attended my final Rocky Willingham kicking camp. Mangum was a camper there...not even an honorary counselor like every other NCAA kicker I’ve ever met at one of those. He was there to learn. He was there to improve.

He worked his ass off. He got frustrated as hell too because his big issue was that he kept planting too close to the ball. For those that don’t know, doing that deprives you of power and it pushes shit off to the right if you’re a righty. But he kept at it, kept at it and kept at it. It got to the point where he was showing up early and was seen kicking with these pieces of tape marking his should-be plant spots. I’ve no doubt that he kept at it for the rest of that year and his senior year after that.

Heres my point with that little anecdote: at that point in his career, he was never going to miss that kick. It didn’t even make a flying fuck that one of those Michigan guys got a hand on it. When he lined up to kick the ball, Texas was winning that fucking game.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hpslugga said:

Ok so that’s your version and probably the version a lot of fans shared at the time.

Here’s mine:

The year before, I attended my final Rocky Willingham kicking camp. Mangum was a camper there...not even an honorary counselor like every other NCAA kicker I’ve ever met at one of those. He was there to learn. He was there to improve.

He worked his ass off. He got frustrated as hell too because his big issue was that he kept planting too close to the ball. For those that don’t know, doing that deprives you of power and it pushes shit off to the right if you’re a righty. But he kept at it, kept at it and kept at it. It got to the point where he was showing up early and was seen kicking with these pieces of tape marking his should-be plant spots. I’ve no doubt that he kept at it for the rest of that year and his senior year after that.

Heres my point with that little anecdote: at that point in his career, he was never going to miss that kick. It didn’t even make a flying fuck that one of those Michigan guys got a hand on it. When he lined up to kick the ball, Texas was winning that fucking game.

I wonder what percentage of fans would realize that much work goes into the relatively simple looking act of kicking a FG. 

20 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Absolutely, and you can hear it in the TV audio….

Here’s mine:

Regardless of how hard he worked, he was a 68.5% fg kicker. If you had a lot of confidence, congrats. He was 11/15 that year. I’m not pulling the distances but damn dude.

15 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Regardless of how hard he worked, he was a 68.5% fg kicker. If you had a lot of confidence, congrats. He was 11/15 that year. I’m not pulling the distances but damn dude.

Not only was he not very accurate, his leg strength was abysmal.

28 minutes ago, staboner said:

wait, did the kick go through 4 hands? #25 and #6? sure fucking looks like it from those two pics

I believe it miraculously went between #25’s hands and them #6 tipped it. The trajectory changed from low and flat (maybe 30 degrees) up to 45 or 50 degrees. Who knows how it wasn’t blocked? Who knows if it would have been good if it hadn’t been tipped?

12 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I remember a few years ago he recreated that kick at DKR during a TV time out.  Granted, he's a much older guy now but no pressure, no one trying to block it, and nobody icing him.  He missed it.