Hawaii big island volcano eruption and earthquake

zork

Didn't see a thread on this and figured this was the best place to put it.  

This is an impressive display of a rift of lava bubbling up in a Big Island neighborhood.

Amazing display of nature, always intrigued about volcanoes.  There are a lot more videos and stories about it out there.  Share them here and comment if you wish.

WTF?

The six eruptions, the latest of which started just five minutes after the large quake, are threatening entire sections of the subdivision. Dramatic images from the subdivision show lava bubbling up from the ground and soaring more than 100 feet in the air. Residents described the sound of the eruptions as haunting — "hissing" and "like a freight train." 

Resident Ikaika Marzo said he could feel several quakes shake the area in the early morning hours before the second eruption in the community around 1:30 a.m. The new eruptions Friday come in the wake of the volcano's first fissure in the community on Thursday afternoon.

The first eruption in the subdivision started Thursday afternoon and had ended by about 6:30 p.m., after creating a fissure that sent lava soaring as high as 125 feet into the air. About 10:30 p.m., geologists confirmed the fissure (whose length was not immediately clear) was no longer erupting.

They stressed, however, that new lava outbreaks remain a possibility. 

"The opening phases of fissure eruptions are dynamic and uncertain. It is not possible at this time to say when and where new vents may occur," the observatory said, in its latest update. "Areas downslope of an erupting fissure or vent are at risk of lava inundation. At this time, the general area of the Leilani subdivision appears at greatest risk."

Some residents seemed in disbelief at what they were seeing in their own backyards. In social media posts, they documented lava sputtering up from cracks in the roadway and then angrily boiling up higher and higher.

Marzo was among the first people in Leilani Estates to spot the active lava. And as soon as he did, he started notifying anyone he could find.

"When we drove on that road, we heard a noise in the forest and it was like a little thump," he said. "Next thing, like three to five seconds after that, we smelled sulfur. After that, that's when there was tons of sulfur. Then we saw some lava popping out."

Welp I think I can cross off the big island as where I want to buy property off my list.  Why do I get the feeling that those poor people's homeowner's insurance is going to try to screw them over and not pay out?

Mother Gaia you scary.

“As the eruption progresses, there will become a preferred pathway for the magma to go through,” Stovall said. “Some of the outer vents along this fissure line will start to close up and congeal because the lava is going to essentially harden.”

Once that happens, lava fountains from the remaining open vents can shoot even higher — reaching up to 1,000 feet, Stovall said. On Saturday, lava from one of the newer fissures spurted as high as 230 feet into the air, according to the Geological Survey.

nothing like a 1,000 foot lava geyser in your backyard. 

1 hour ago, bigcigar said:

Not sure why residents seem surprised. Surely they all know living on an active volcano may have consequences.

This, so much this. There were maps that showed the danger levels for parts of the island. Almost the entire island has some level of threat. These people built their houses in a maximum threat area. 

They should have viewed their houses being burried in lava as an eventual inevitably, not a remote possibility. 

1 hour ago, bigcigar said:

Not sure why residents seem surprised. Surely they all know living on an active volcano may have consequences.

I mean, it's only been erupting continuously for something like 27 years.  You'd think it would get cranky at some point and not just be a photo op volcano.  

1 hour ago, heso said:

This, so much this. There were maps that showed the danger levels for parts of the island. Almost the entire island has some level of threat. These people built their houses in a maximum threat area. 

They should have viewed their houses being burried in lava as an eventual inevitably, not a remote possibility. 

It's like having a house on the Gulf, except they're buying volcano insurance instead of hurricane insurance.  Or owning a home in a flood plain.

That whole area (Puna?) on that side of Hilo is very weird, though.  There are a ton of people living over there in huge developments, set up in grids, all unincorporated; I think if you combined the whole area, it would be the second-largest city in the state.  (It's the cheapest land in Hawaii.)  Yet there's only one actual "town" (Pahoa) in that whole area with restaurants/grocery/gas/businesses.  I know a decent number of people who live there are retired, and I worked with a guy who had a vacation home there, but I have no idea what everyone else does out there.

Edited by Beau Vine

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Why didn't someone move the fucking car?!?!

In that thread on Twitter the guy that posted the video said he honked his horn a bunch and banged on the door. Owner wasn’t home. Owner came back an hour later to get his car and the guy showed him the video of his car getting burried in lava. 

1 hour ago, heso said:

In that thread on Twitter the guy that posted the video said he honked his horn a bunch and banged on the door. Owner wasn’t home. Owner came back an hour later to get his car and the guy showed him the video of his car getting burried in lava. 

That is fucking metal.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:40 AM, clapclapclap said:

BurnedVet_1496145860369_60364125_ver1.0_

What the hell are you driving here?

We had a small fire last night, but we caught it in the nick of time.

Do you have any idea how fast you were going?

Funny enough, I was just talking to my friend about that. Our speedometer has melted and as a result it's very hard to see with any degree of accuracy exactly how fast we were going.

• Like 3