Game 10: Horns vs Hoos - Omaha Elimination Edition

Pimphand

43 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yeah sure.  what I was saying is you can't barrel over the catcher at all.  you have to slide.  if you make contact sliding its all good.

Edit: my comment is related to the situation in which the catcher has the ball.

Not trying to beat a dead horse. But you don't have to slide. You just can't barrel over the catcher when he has the ball. If you tap-dance around him, you're not automatically out (subject to existing baseline rules).

17 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

The thing is that I thought Ben was fantastic when he joined Zeke and Keith on the LHN broadcasts of the Texas-LSU series in '19.  He was giving great insights.  I think the issue is that Keith and Zeke kept him on task, whereas the ESPN turds encourage his stream-of-consciousness meandering.

he also knew he was in enemy territory and not the show. he was 3rd wheel.  CWS is neutral territory and they just let him go.

3 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

Not trying to beat a dead horse. But you don't have to slide. You just can't barrel over the catcher when he has the ball. If you tap-dance around him, you're not automatically out (subject to existing baseline rules).

dude. yes, of course but if you want to make contact to dislodge the ball you have to slide. below is what I was responding to when I said "no. you have to slide".  comprende?

HookemATL wrote:

Question on the play at home in the ninth:  Could the runner have plowed over the catcher/dislodged the ball in that situation or is that a no-no?

I guess I'm the only one that kind of likes him.

This isn't considered a serious event by ESPN.  It's a niche sport.  They figure nobody is living and dying by who is doing color- so they are going to go with human interest stories and an announcer who you know who it is and want to hang out with for a couple hours during the middle of the summer, watching a baseball game.  I get where they are coming from.  

39 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Defense lived up to its billing, for sure, as it has all along.

Have to admit I was a bit worried about Hansen.  But he ultimately got the job done.

I just didn't have the confidence in our hitting.  And kept having to remind myself that it was at worst tied.

All we had to do was make it to the 6th tied or ahead and the odds of UVA winning were minuscule.  Not zero, but not far from it.  Our bullpen just doesn't lose games in the late innings.  The stats are redonkulous.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just once in any sport, it would be nice to have announcers that don't clearly have an anti-UT agenda and give the Horns the respect and adulation they deserve!  

Christ, some of y'all have to be completely miserable fucks to watch that thriller last night and come away bitching about the announcers...

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This isn't considered a serious event by ESPN.  It's a niche sport.  They figure nobody is living and dying by who is doing color- so they are going to go with human interest stories and an announcer who you know who it is and want to hang out with for a couple hours during the middle of the summer, watching a baseball game.  I get where they are coming from.  

Well ESPN became big because they took all sports very seriously. Their coverage of the CWS in the 1990s was always top notch, they were pretty much the first to take it seriously.

They are making a big mistake if they now think like you describe. It may be niche to the general public but not to those watching the game.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well ESPN became big because they took all sports very seriously. Their coverage of the CWS in the 1990s was always top notch, they were pretty much the first to take it seriously.

They are making a big mistake if they now think like you describe. It may be niche to the general public but not to those watching the game.

Very well put.

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Just once in any sport, it would be nice to have announcers that don't clearly have an anti-UT agenda and give the Horns the respect and adulation they deserve!  

Christ, some of y'all have to be completely miserable fucks to watch that thriller last night and come away bitching about the announcers...

You must be a completely miserable fuck to see all the discussion going on in this thread and come away thinking that is the only thing people are taking away from the game. It was glorious. But we like to talk about every aspect of the game, including the broadcast, if that is ok with you.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

they aren't human interest stories, they are "ben mcdonald going on and on about his careeand other bullshit" stories with about 15% related to the actual game.   

the only people that know who the fuck Ben McDonald even is are college baseball fans.

yes its not a huge sport but its on ESPN/ESPN2 in prime time on a weekend. It is the 3rd most important college sport.

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

It's always funny to me that someone thinks that bitching about the announcers precludes, in their mind, the thought that the person "bitching" could have enjoyed the game.

Some kind of strange binary block I suppose.

• Hook 'Em 2

I had the volume off last night but it was hilarious how often they showed the UVA dugout compared to ours.  Probably 10 to 1.  It was pretty easy to tell which narratives they were beating into the ground. They do treat it like a niche sport so they should know the same audiences are watching each night so we've all heard the catcher/dad cancer story a dozen times by now.  just let the guy watch his kid without a camera on him.

Just now, Cajun said:

It's always funny to me that someone thinks that bitching about the announcers precludes, in their mind, the thought that the person "bitching" could have enjoyed the game.

Some kind of strange binary block I suppose.

Hello Surly!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

I just want to say props to the entire UVA team EXCEPT for sword boi.  Fuck you pussy!  What a bush league doosh.

Enjoy never being heard from again.

The rest of those guys?  Giant tip of the cap.

Out of rep, will hit you back later. But agree on it being shitty. I don't mind if they do it, but I've played enough games to know that shit comes back to you if you get squirrely. Talk shit after the game is over and decided.  

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Yup.  You can be fired up without acting like a princess on ecstacy.

Great quote, and possible Surly Motto.

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

Ivan / Zub / Cam all take their boner pills this morning and rake tonight/tomorrow. Multiple homers and heavy doses of BDE are in the forecast. 

Thy will be done. 🤘

Let's make it happen, Capt.'

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I personally wouldn’t do it and think it’s silly, but I won’t complain that he shouldn’t do it just like I won’t complain about bat flips. Some celebratory look at me actions are more reasonable than others depending on the situation, but who cares anymore really?

it’s like complaining that people don’t dress up to attend a game or take a flight anymore. That’s a previous era. It’s how it was back then, but it’s not the way it should be or must be. 

Fuck around and find out?

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Yup, fucking awesome back there. Especially enjoyable considering the comparison the last two games to opposing catcher getting run on or letting balls by to score runs for us. 

Yeah, but Augie's teams always had a knack for turning it on in Omaha. A team of barely Mendoza line hitters would suddenly become mashers in Omaha (granted, that was at Rosenblatt). 

I think it is destiny that both Vandy and Texas come out of the loser brackets to face each other in the championship. And I think it is our destiny to eliminate every single SEC team from the field.

This has been my feeling and prediction. I hope it comes to fruition. 

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I think the problem was we don't have a set of roommates whose dads roomed together in college or a SS who speaks 6 languages and Virginia had cancer dad.

Roommates who’s dads were roommates? You just blew my mind. Imagine what espn could do with that story.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

The Peoples play was because the Baylor catcher was blocking the plate before he had the ball. If the catcher had already received the ball Peoples would have been called out.

The home plate umpire actually signaled obstruction on the catcher on the play which is a fist out to the side. Peoples thought he had been called out and that's why he angrily slammed his batting helmet down before he realized he had scored.

2:11:20 mark if it doesn't go straight there

• That look on Brees face (multiple angles mind you) and his reaction when he gets to home plate is fucking priceless. The fact that he got to then watch Chance Wheeless hit a walk-off to end his CWS was just the absolute best icing on the cake. Brees' hands up wondering what happened should be shopped with Travolta in the aggy hall of champions trying to find some.
1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

That 2005 Baylor team might be the best non-Texas baseball team the Big 12 ever produced and we fucked it up for them, they would have been champs if it was not for us. It makes me so happy.

This is true, on all points.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I could watch this a hundred times.  The runner looks up after sliding like he's wondering how the ball beat him to the base by two feet.

It's not in this clip, but did anyone else catch the slo-mo of Faltine saying, "You are fucking out. Get off the fucking field!" as the UVa player was bitching about the call at second? Emotion and BDE, we haz it.

Edited by Droopy
Texas is going to win.

33 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

they aren't human interest stories, they are "ben mcdonald going on and on about his careeand other bullshit" stories with about 15% related to the actual game.   

the only people that know who the fuck Ben McDonald even is are college baseball fans.

yes its not a huge sport but its on ESPN/ESPN2 in prime time on a weekend. It is the 3rd most important college sport.

And some orioles fans

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Droopy said:
  • That look on Brees face (multiple angles mind you) and his reaction when he gets to home plate is fucking priceless. The fact that he got then watch Chance Wheeless hit a walk-off to end his CWS was just the absolute best icing on the cake. Brees' hands up wondering what happened should be shopped with Travolta in the aggy hall of champions trying to find some.

This is true, on all points.

It's not in this clip, but did anyone else catch the slo-mo of Faltine saying, "You are fucking out. Get off the fucking field!" as the UVa player was bitching about the call at second? Emotion and BDE, we haz it.

The clip is somewhere on this thread a page or two back.

55 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Love it. I you don’t mind Faltine doing this but dislike sword boy then the new style of baseball isn’t for you. Let the kids pimp homers, trash talk, pitchers be more excited, etc. It’s more fun watching a game with swagger than the boring “muh rules blah blah.” 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

And some orioles fans

Yeah he was the less good half of their M&M pitching rotation. Those were some good teams way back in the day. Pity they were in the same division as the Blue Jays.

Just now, DoneWithit said:

Love it. I you don’t mind Faltine doing this but dislike sword boy then the new style of baseball isn’t for you. Let the kids pimp homers, trash talk, pitchers be more excited, etc. It’s more fun watching a game with swagger than the boring “muh rules blah blah.” 

MY UNWRITTEN RULES!!!11

Comparing what Faltine was doing there with the sword boi dance on the mound is hilariously idiotic.

Even sword queen's coach told him to cut it the fuck out.  Imagie that.  Yeah, you really KNOW the game today.

"New style baseball".  Go reimagine something else, this game is not for you.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah the entire day being washed out, or not at all, is what we want.

The problem is the likelihood is that they play and we don't which is bullshit. But what can you do?

This right here. It's a really bad break for us if it goes down that way where they play and we don't.  

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

msudawg suggested that Bednar wouldn't be asked to pitch until the second "if-necessary" game.  Of course, if we end up postponing until tomorrow, then that would obviously change things.

Confirmed Houston Harding is going in game #1 whenever it is. don't like the forecase for tonight. If Vandy beats ncstate theres no way someones not playing on sunday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yep.  But they did that (took everything seriously) with everything in the 90's.  They are leaning into infotainment now- and they embrace stuff like ESPN 8- the Ocho in dodge ball. They take NFL, CollegeFB and the NBA super seriously. Everything else is kind of covered with a knowing wink. I believe if/when they ever get high level soccer that will be treated more like football and the NBA then other sports.

I might be completely wrong and Ben Mcdonald might be off the reservation or not doing what they want him to, but I don't think the people in charge of programming see this much differently than their coverage of the Little league world series- which also gets a 2 week run on ESPN, doesn't have a ton of baked in fans, and they cover more as "the event" than they do any of the individual teams or players.  

33 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I think the problem was we don't have a set of roommates whose dads roomed together in college or a SS who speaks 6 languages and Virginia had cancer dad.

Also this discussion of talking about anything except the game in front of them factors in the "heartwarming stories" like you're about to have shoveled at you in the no-foreign-fans-olympics (and I love Japan otherwise) in a month, meant to draw in "casual fans" and/or female fans in an attempt to drive up ratings.

It's sad that despite all the choices available to those with full cable/Net options, there's not a "just broadcast the game" secondary audio aside from turning down the dolts on ESPN/NBC and turning up the radio, which for the olympics means mashing the mute button, or watching the raw video (no announcers) of the lesser-watched olympic sports that are streamed but not broadcast often.

10 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Also this discussion of talking about anything except the game in front of them factors in the "heartwarming stories" like you're about to have shoveled at you in the no-foreign-fans-olympics (and I love Japan otherwise) in a month, meant to draw in "casual fans" and/or female fans in an attempt to drive up ratings.

It's sad that despite all the choices available to those with full cable/Net options, there's not a "just broadcast the game" secondary audio aside from turning down the dolts on ESPN/NBC and turning up the radio, which for the olympics means mashing the mute button, or watching the raw video (no announcers) of the lesser-watched olympic sports that are streamed but not broadcast often.

Special interest stuff will always be worse at the Olympics than any other sporting events because the Olympics draw a huge number of women viewers compared to other sports.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

The Mouse knows what he is doing, and he is  backing where he has put his cheese....loves to provoke UT fanbase for more clicks and eyes on sets... for the hate.

Its an old ploy. Much of ESPNs hierarchy are easterners with their eastern bias. They now also have to pump up their SEC and B1G hoes. So it goes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, El Squared said:

The Mouse knows what he is doing, and he is  backing where he has put his cheese....loves to provoke UT fanbase for more clicks and eyes on sets... for the hate.

Its an old ploy. Much of ESPNs hierarchy are easterners with their eastern bias. They now also have to pump up their SEC and B1G hoes. So it goes.

Northeasterners, but This.

1 minute ago, El Squared said:

Well I haven't watched ESPN outside of live sports in years. Whereas before I was an addict. I am not sure it is working.

I mean they are a cable TV station, they are not going to get the kids. So why work so hard to alienate your previous fanbase in a vain attempt to attract them?

Ah well. Disney will be fine without me I am sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well I haven't watched ESPN outside of live sports in years. Whereas before I was an addict. I am not sure it is working.

I mean they are a cable TV station, they are not going to get the kids. So why work so hard to alienate your previous fanbase in a vain attempt to attract them?

Ah well. Disney will be fine without me I am sure.

It's not.  That's why they are laying off people left and right.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/other-sports/news/list-of-biggest-names-laid-off-at-espn-updates-ed-werder-john-buccigross/eyf1kwjj6gpt10erj8ke3n1tp

36 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Comparing what Faltine was doing there with the sword boi dance on the mound is hilariously idiotic.

Even sword queen's coach told him to cut it the fuck out.  Imagie that.  Yeah, you really KNOW the game today.

"New style baseball".  Go reimagine something else, this game is not for you.

Cajun you can’t have it both ways. Faltine has yet to get a hit all series yet he’s telling opponents to go sit the fuck down. Guess what, the game is changing in how players are showing their emotions and denying that is so fucking stupid. It’s not just baseball, have you checked out the nfl celebrations or maybe even watched tre young in the playoffs? I also give zero fucks what the head coach said to the kid. You know what you might be right, mangers know the game very well, I guess Showalter was right after all when calling out ken Griffey wearing his hat backwards. 

I’ve said it before I’ll say it again, we were within an inch of a tie in game 1 against Bednar and he pitched out of this world.  He does not scare me, this team on a record breaking bad day offensively still almost pulled it out.  Regression to the mean is a thing, you can count on it.  The only counter point is how will our pitching respond. Well it was a solid but believe it or not average outing for Texas pitching, so Texas would have to have a bad day pitching to expect a much worse outcome.  Not saying Texas wins one or two games, I’m just saying these teams are much closer than thinking about Bednar’s fastball makes us believe.  So bring it on. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

@DoneWithitYou know what's stupid? It is needing for players to dance around on the mound and sheath pretend swords in order to enjoy a perfect, beautiful game.  That's pure, unadulterated stupidity.  It's also stupid not to understand the difference between jawjacking some guys who have acted like douches at every opportunity and, well, being douchebags on the field at every opportunity.  Sorry you can't grasp this.

That said, I'm still glad he did it b/c had he not there wouldn't have been this delicious moment to absorb.  Picture of Kansas City whathaveyou being rethought.  Beautiful.

Thank you Karma ---

IMG_3181.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Cajun you can’t have it both ways. Faltine has yet to get a hit all series yet he’s telling opponents to go sit the fuck down. Guess what, the game is changing in how players are showing their emotions and denying that is so fucking stupid. It’s not just baseball, have you checked out the nfl celebrations or maybe even watched tre young in the playoffs? I also give zero fucks what the head coach said to the kid. You know what you might be right, mangers know the game very well, I guess Showalter was right after all when calling out ken Griffey wearing his hat backwards. 

trash talking player to player on the field which no one in the stands can really see or hear is different than what sword boi did.

player could trash talk back and say "thanks hitless wonder" to Faltine.

that said, Karma settled it quite well. 

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

trash talking player to player on the field which no one in the stands can really see or hear is different than what sword boi did.

player could trash talk back and say "thanks hitless wonder" to Faltine.

that said, Karma settled it quite well. 

Yeah, he doesn't get it.  He's "New" baseball dcar.  We can't fathom the depths of him.