Game 10: Horns vs Hoos - Omaha Elimination Edition

Pimphand

Just now, hookemATL said:

Question on the play at home in the ninth:  Could the runner have plowed over the catcher/dislodged the ball in that situation or is that a no-no?

The Catcher has to be blocking the plate, otherwise big no-no.

Or at least that was my understanding from the Baylor game in the 2005 series when somebody, Teagarden I think, leveled the Baylor catcher but it was allowed to stand since he put his body between the runner and the plate.

• Hook 'Em 1

Or at least that was my understanding from the Baylor game in the 2005 series when somebody, Teagarden I think, leveled the Baylor catcher but it was allowed to stand since he put his body between the runner and the plate.

Peoples
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

no. you have to slide.

I believe the rule is technically worded that you cannot "deviate from the path to the plate to initiate contact." One method of doing so is sliding, but you can also dodge, give yourself up, jump over, etc. 

Source - http://www.miaa.net/gen/miaa_generated_bin/documents/basic_module/ForceplayslideNCAA.pdf

Edited by capnamerca
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

We are set up to go Madden-Stevens-??

But that would be a good problem to have I guess. Win two and pray for rain.

The biggest thing is we need Vandy to win the first game so both teams burn another starter. We also need our game to happen tonight so we don’t get another day behind. A NC State win and a game cancellation leading to Saturday double header for us would be absolutely worst case scenario. Ideally, their series goes two and can at least have Madden and Hansen available for the Finals. 

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah but a COVID-Freshman. That makes it hard to know really how much longer somebody stays here. Ty Madden is technically a sophomore but we know he will be gone soon.

It’ll be interesting to see how guys go about the draft. Part of the reason most guys go after 3 is because they want the leverage of threatening to return in contract talks. Obviously, the other part of they want to get paid and start their pro career as soon as possible. But now with all these guys having an extra year, I guess we’ll see which factor is more of a motivator. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Seriously. Even for Surly standards, the amount of bitching and pussy wringing in this game thread was quite exceptional. most of the people on here proclaimed the game was over when UVA tied it 2-2. It reminded me of the WVU Big 12 tournament game when a bunch of posters were going full greenspoint and proclaiming this wasn’t a team that could make it to Omaha. 

Y’all are a bunch of miserable motherfuckers. 

I never said we wouldnt make it to omaha

Just now, Cajun said:

I just want to say props to the entire UVA team EXCEPT for sword boi.  Fuck you pussy!  What a bush league doosh.

Enjoy never being heard from again.

The rest of those guys?  Giant tip of the cap.

meh, that pitch he threw right before that was wicked.  he had a right to be fired up about it.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

meh, that pitch he threw right before that was wicked.  he had a right to be fired up about it.

Yes he had a right to be fired up, he was on. But, as soon as he started strutting and celebrating on the mound I knew UVA was fucked. Karma bitches

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texastough said:

Yes he had a right to be fired up, he was on. But, as soon as he started strutting and celebrating on the mound I knew UVA was fucked. Karma bitches

Yup.  You can be fired up without acting like a princess on ecstacy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, TexasIsBetter said:

guaranteed if Hansen, Quintanilla, Nixon were doing that those fuckers in the booth would have thrown a fit

Without a doubt.  

ESPN announcers are just a beating to listen to, even forgetting their Texas hate.  It's as if there isn't even a game going on.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Nope.  You can be fired up and not be a bush leaguer.

meh denied.

I personally wouldn’t do it and think it’s silly, but I won’t complain that he shouldn’t do it just like I won’t complain about bat flips. Some celebratory look at me actions are more reasonable than others depending on the situation, but who cares anymore really?

it’s like complaining that people don’t dress up to attend a game or take a flight anymore. That’s a previous era. It’s how it was back then, but it’s not the way it should be or must be. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

There is a LOT to love about this team, but I think watching Ardoin do his thing behind the plate might be my favorite.  What a night for him.  

Yup, fucking awesome back there. Especially enjoyable considering the comparison the last two games to opposing catcher getting run on or letting balls by to score runs for us. 

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I have nothing to whine about too much as far as hitting goes this season. A whole line up of dudes who are basically .250 hitters or better. I would have done anything for that in past seasons.

Yeah, but Augie's teams always had a knack for turning it on in Omaha. A team of barely Mendoza line hitters would suddenly become mashers in Omaha (granted, that was at Rosenblatt). 

48 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

A rainout would suck, basically ensuring we cannot use Madden at all in the championship series should we get there. NC State would probably get their game in and if they win they will be all fresh.

On the other hand if by some freak chance their game also gets rained out and Vandy ends up beating them twice that would probably mean no Rocker or Leiter. 

So here is hoping it either rains all day or not at all.

I think it is destiny that both Vandy and Texas come out of the loser brackets to face each other in the championship. And I think it is our destiny to eliminate every single SEC team from the field.

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 6

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, but Augie's teams always had a knack for turning it on in Omaha. A team of barely Mendoza line hitters would suddenly become mashers in Omaha (granted, that was at Rosenblatt). 

Right. Our hitting was awful in 2011 and 2014, Augie's two teams that played at TD Ameritrade.

I think it is destiny that both Vandy and Texas come out of the loser brackets to face each other in the championship. And I think it is our destiny to eliminate every single SEC team from the field.

Were you the one that called that after the Sunday game? Somebody did. So far so good.

Edited by Valmy77

28 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The Peoples play was because the Baylor catcher was blocking the plate before he had the ball. If the catcher had already received the ball Peoples would have been called out.

The home plate umpire actually signaled obstruction on the catcher on the play which is a fist out to the side. Peoples thought he had been called out and that's why he angrily slammed his batting helmet down before he realized he had scored.

2:11:20 mark if it doesn't go straight there

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Right. Our hitting was awful in 2011 and 2014, Augie's two teams that played at TD Ameritrade.

Tangentially related question:

What has changed about TD Ameritrade since then? The announcers alluded to it last night, but the park is getting a lot more homers than when it opened.

Were the dimensions changed?

Is it just that teams now play for the homerun like MLB?

Is the ball different?

1 minute ago, Dnaguy said:

What has changed about TD Ameritrade since then? The announcers alluded to it last night, but the park is getting a lot more homers than when it opened.

Is the ball different?

Didn't they widen the batter's eye? 

2 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Is the ball different?

BBCOR bats are better now after a decade of engineering to figure out how to make them perform as well as possible while still meeting the standard. Initially the restrictor rings used to deaden the trampoline effect made the sweet spot extremely small on the bat. Advancements since then have increased the size of the sweet spot on the BBCOR bats. So the bats have a lot to do with it, not because these bats are super hot like before BBCOR, but because the first few years of BBCOR the bats were very dead with tiny sweet spots.

And coincidentally BBCOR started in 2011, the same year TD Ameritrade started hosting.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2

That LSU series in 2009 made me nauseous. I thought our team deserved credit, as Texas was #1 and had won the 2002 and 2005 titles but listening to that series one would think we were total dogshit and not worthy to sniff the illustrious jocks of the LSU Tigers. I don't listen to the national ESPN commentators anymore after that. You don't have to kiss our ass but at least give deserved and earned respect. 

I loved it. Texas has no stories or players overcoming any adversity in life. Texas doesn’t prance around, but looks like they are going to work.

Announcers started praising Texas and we make a mistake. They don’t hype up our players but overhype the opponents.

Bednar is good, but he isn’t superman. I hope we face him we are going to tear him a new asshole and then shove his face up it. Zubia and Ivan found their swing and are going to set a HR record against that team and their sec fans who can’t even spell a 3 letter word correctly.

39 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Nick Peoples

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

BBCOR bats are better now after a decade of engineering to figure out how to make them perform as well as possible while still meeting the standard. Initially the restrictor rings used to deaden the trampoline effect made the sweet spot extremely small on the bat. Advancements since then have increased the size of the sweet spot on the BBCOR bats. So the bats have a lot to do with it, not because these bats are super hot like before BBCOR, but because the first few years of BBCOR the bats were very dead with tiny sweet spots.

shooting star GIF

Thanks.

This makes sense.

6 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Is the ball different?

The balls don't have gigantic raised seams any more.

42 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

I believe the rule is technically worded that you cannot "deviate from the path to the plate to initiate contact." One method of doing so is sliding, but you can also dodge, give yourself up, jump over, etc. 

Source - http://www.miaa.net/gen/miaa_generated_bin/documents/basic_module/ForceplayslideNCAA.pdf

yeah sure.  what I was saying is you can't barrel over the catcher at all.  you have to slide.  if you make contact sliding its all good.

Edit: my comment is related to the situation in which the catcher has the ball.

Edited by dcar00

25 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Without a doubt.  

ESPN announcers are just a beating to listen to, even forgetting their Texas hate.  It's as if there isn't even a game going on.

Yep - and I don't give a fuck about your gumbo pot, or what you put in it, Ben McDonald. Or any of your other Justin Wilson/James Carville ripped off witticisms either. 

• Hook 'Em 4

55 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

A rainout would suck, basically ensuring we cannot use Madden at all in the championship series should we get there. NC State would probably get their game in and if they win they will be all fresh.

On the other hand if by some freak chance their game also gets rained out and Vandy ends up beating them twice that would probably mean no Rocker or Leiter. 

So here is hoping it either rains all day or not at all.

Rain delay is to our benefit in my opinion. It gives us time to get more rest for everyone that's not Pete- and gets them all on a pretty good schedule.  Rest will help us more than State as they have more of it than us.  
Rest also gives Vandy the chance to bring back Leiter and Rocker, which should theoretically knock them out of going long/deep in the championship series.  I like our odds way better with Johnny all staff in game 1, Pete in Game 2 and Johnny again in game 3 if necessary vs Vandy (without Rocker and Leiter) than I do with those guys pitching 2 of the 3 games against us.  
Their offense isn't great.  The rest of their staff isn't great.  You get past those two and it's a different story then not.  

It's not ideal but it hurts us less than it hurts others- so I'm fine with the entire day getting washed out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

Some of that offensive futility (on both sides) was the result of spectacular defense. And hey, a couple decent pitches also were thrown. Even here on Eastern Time it's becoming easier to enjoy the ride. 

Defense lived up to its billing, for sure, as it has all along.

Have to admit I was a bit worried about Hansen.  But he ultimately got the job done.

I just didn't have the confidence in our hitting.  And kept having to remind myself that it was at worst tied.

I was just about to post "I could watch that a hundred times" and then saw your comment -- jinx! So badass. He makes it look so easy.

Love the emotion Faltine plays with. I love this team period. To the complainers -- slumps happen. This team knows how to workaround and overcome. And I've never enjoyed the pitching and defense this much. Lets F'n GOOO

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Ardoin doing Ardoin things and Ben is there continuing to yammer like an idiot about something NOT happening on the field.  That clip pretty much encapsulates why I watched most of the game in silence.

Wait I want to hear more about who did or did not play in the Alaskan Summer League in the middle of the College World Series.

If Ben did the Super Bowl he would be telling stores about the Barcelona Dragons.

• Haha 3

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Wait I want to hear more about who did or did not play in the Alaskan Summer League in the middle of the College World Series.

If Ben did the Super Bowl he would be telling stores about the Barcelona Dragons.

The thing is that I thought Ben was fantastic when he joined Zeke and Keith on the LHN broadcasts of the Texas-LSU series in '19.  He was giving great insights.  I think the issue is that Keith and Zeke kept him on task, whereas the ESPN turds encourage his stream-of-consciousness meandering.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I could watch this a hundred times.  The runner looks up after sliding like he's wondering how the ball beat him to the base by two feet.

He sounds like he's being forced at gunpoint to read off a cue card.

Edited by OU Sucks

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

The thing is that I thought Ben was fantastic when he joined Zeke and Keith on the LHN broadcasts of the Texas-LSU series in '19.  He was giving great insights.  I think the issue is that Keith and Zeke kept him on task, whereas the ESPN turds encourage his stream-of-consciousness meandering.

Agreed.  He's a knowledgeable guy if someone can keep him from chasing every squirrel that runs across his redneck mind.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I personally wouldn’t do it and think it’s silly, but I won’t complain that he shouldn’t do it just like I won’t complain about bat flips. Some celebratory look at me actions are more reasonable than others depending on the situation, but who cares anymore really?

it’s like complaining that people don’t dress up to attend a game or take a flight anymore. That’s a previous era. It’s how it was back then, but it’s not the way it should be or must be. 

Tell it to his coach in the dugout after the half inning ended.  You know, the one who told him, "Don't do that again!"?

It's pure bush league and there's really no other way to spin it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know if was Burke or McDonald (why not both) but if your story goes on for multiple at-bats, you need to tell a different story, or shorten the fuck out of it.

I'm not one to typically notice the announcers as I'm already hard of hearing, so I tune them out, but Jesus they were awful last night.

Like noticeably (for me, which is saying something) pro UVA.

13 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

He sounds like he's being forced at gunpoint to read off a cue card.

That was the point in the game that was the most infuriating commentator-wise.  They just talked right through an incredibly pivotal moment like it was a lazy fly to left field.

Unbelivable.

• Hook 'Em 1