Game 10: Horns vs Hoos - Omaha Elimination Edition

Pimphand

50 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I gotta be honest, I didn't enjoy that game much.  Probably the least of any game all year.

Between being up late (waaah) and the long stretch of offensive futility, I was bored and my mind drifted into negativity.

I am glad that Zubia managed to get up off the floor and do something.  Hope that continues for a bit.

it was easy to enjoy and easy not to for a while.  the momentum kept creeping to UVA as the game went on mostly because Texas wouldn't take advantage.  had we gone to the bottom of the 9th without that zubia hit, we were looking at leaving the bases loaded in the 8th and the 9th, 7 left in scoring position and one out at the plate.  That did not happen, but we ALL were sitting there hoping Zubia would do what he hasn't done all CWS, step up and make the offensive play.  That was a grind, I'll admit. 

I'm really tired of the strikeouts but fuck, that's what this team is - a patient offensive team, that does not capitalize on everything given (unless you're talking about Antico on base sweet juesus), flirts with danger the whole game, but has a knack for pulling it out in the end.  I don't really like it that way, but it's who they are.  Folks said that to me in the Supers, they were right, I wasn't arguing the point, I was only worried that this team might not be good enough to come back in the CWS.  Well, they are 1 play away from being in the driver's seat, they've played this way the whole CWS and they are still standing at the last 4. 

I could complain, but I'm done doing that.  You can't complain about making the final 4.  They win how they win, it's not how you would design it on paper (offensively, it sure as hell is how you design it on defense and pitching) but it's who they are ... another proud manifestation of the greatest college baseball program in the country. 

Fuck State, let's do this.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

If you didn't enjoy that game then you should probably just quit

Seriously. Even for Surly standards, the amount of bitching and pussy wringing in this game thread was quite exceptional. most of the people on here proclaimed the game was over when UVA tied it 2-2. It reminded me of the WVU Big 12 tournament game when a bunch of posters were going full greenspoint and proclaiming this wasn’t a team that could make it to Omaha. 

Y’all are a bunch of miserable motherfuckers. 

• Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

Always good when we equal the Aggy career Omaha win mark in a single season. 

Austin Community College is only two College World Series wins away from tying aggy's total.  ACC should get a baseball program and go for it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Seriously. Even for Surly standards, the amount of bitching and pussy wringing in this game thread was quite exceptional. most of the people on here proclaimed the game was over when UVA tied it 2-2. It reminded me of the WVU Big 12 tournament game when a bunch of posters were going full greenspoint and proclaiming this wasn’t a team that could make it to Omaha. 

Y’all are a bunch of miserable motherfuckers. 

Well, I think it is a lot of bleed-over from this past decade of football.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok people can have differing opinions about things. Y’all can stop gatekeeping Texas Baseball fandom and what is and isn’t allowed to be said. Jesus Christ

Enjoying the ride. Huge challenge ahead of us tonight. Can only play one game at a time or we’re going home. Can’t get to Saturday if you don’t win Friday. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, TexArcher said:

Also, the forecast in Omaha looks not great, Bob.  I'm afraid we're looking at a double header tomorrow with rain delays.  Shit.

It don't make a shit. Bet these young guys don't fret about it either. They aren't old bastards like us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Calling out bitchassedness isn't gatekeeping. Quit being bitches. The end. 

There’s legit frustration that this team wastes opportunities early to score or pull away, which forces your bullpen to be nails. It worked last night and we pulled away in the 9th. It did not work against MSU, we waited too long.  It’ll bite ya. The strikeouts and leaving runners on before the 9th is a justified criticism 

But that’s not bitchassedness. The sunshine pumping is worse.  Hope last night flips the switch for ZZ and Ivan. Need them big tonight. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4

Just now, NorthLoop said:

It don't make a shit. Bet these young guys don't fret about it either. They aren't old bastards like us. 

Yeah, you just worry about pitchers starting then sitting for an hour or more.  But I guess both side have to figure it out.

7 hours ago, troph said:

Yeah the whole losers bracket is brutal on pitching staffs isn’t as bad as prior formats but it’s right now that it catches up. Time to take our lump and take them on.

We are set up to go Madden-Stevens-??

But that would be a good problem to have I guess. Win two and pray for rain.

Edited by Valmy77

2 minutes ago, troph said:

or the past decade of baseball.  our hitting woes are well documented.

I have nothing to whine about too much as far as hitting goes this season. A whole line up of dudes who are basically .250 hitters or better. I would have done anything for that in past seasons.

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah but a COVID-Freshman. That makes it hard to know really how much longer somebody stays here. Ty Madden is technically a sophomore but we know he will be gone soon.

If his hitting improves enough for him to get drafted then that's a good problem we'll have to deal with. But yeah he's something special behind the plate. 

10 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

There is a LOT to love about this team, but I think watching Ardoin do his thing behind the plate might be my favorite.  What a night for him.  

He is a DUDE.  Huge fan. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

If his hitting improves enough for him to get drafted then that's a good problem we'll have to deal with. But yeah he's something special behind the plate. 

Hey I would love to have five years of Silas. He is the best defensive catcher we have had here in awhile.

But I am always fatalistic about college baseball. Dudes who are good rarely hang around for long if they even get to campus in the first place.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

this.  some of these guys are only a handful of years removed from playing 4 games in a day.

Edit : in the summer in Texas.

Edited by dcar00

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

Watched game this morning as I couldn't stay up last night due to A) being old & B) having early morning shit to do today.

Great win by the Horns! Cannot wait to see Texas force a game 3 vs MSU and then go on to the championships!

Let's go bitches!

Same here but now that the Horns won I feel like I have to go to bed in the 3rd inning of every game from here on out. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I have nothing to whine about too much as far as hitting goes this season. A whole line up of dudes who are basically .250 hitters or better. I would have done anything for that in past seasons.

I'm on record the last hour or two and more than once that I have no complaints.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Amazing game. Nail biting. The bats are a concern still but damn Va made some plays 

that SS is a MVP candidate for the tourney even though they got bounced.  he won't win it but his play was unbelievable.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, troph said:

that SS is a MVP candidate for the tourney even though they got bounced.  he won't win it but his play was unbelievable.

if Silas can keep up his defense and ends up with some clutch hits down the stretch I could see him getting it too - several MLB caliber throws to second to get the runner out, the double play too, unlikely and Texas would have to win it all, but he's got to be a darkhorse as well.  Zubia has been lights out but he's making it look easy at first so I doubt he gets the nod but if he goes on an offensive tear who knows.  Bednar or Sims could if they win it all (Sims has either 2 saves or 1 save and 1 win), so could one of our pitchers if they close out strong.  I haven't watched the other side, vandy/NCST.  That SS though is as good as any of the others.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I gotta be honest, I didn't enjoy that game much.  Probably the least of any game all year.

Between being up late (waaah) and the long stretch of offensive futility, I was bored and my mind drifted into negativity.

I am glad that Zubia managed to get up off the floor and do something.  Hope that continues for a bit.

If you didn't enjoy that game you might want to have someone check you for a pulse.  It had some great defense on both sides, clutch hitting, late inning heroics, and both Zubia and Ivan showed some signs of life at the plate.  It was worth watching just to see Ardoin crush their hopes on the base paths.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 7

Ardoin has been amazing.  Hosing folks by 2-3 steps.  His double play against Tennessee was a thing of beauty.

Honestly I had little confidence in Zubia last night.  I had a derogatory text to some buddies ready to fire off.  He was 0-10 up until that AB, but he battled that at bat.  Holding off on that breaking ball was huge.

Good for him for coming through.  Hopefully a sign that some confidence is coming back into play.

Hook 'em!

A rainout would suck, basically ensuring we cannot use Madden at all in the championship series should we get there. NC State would probably get their game in and if they win they will be all fresh.

On the other hand if by some freak chance their game also gets rained out and Vandy ends up beating them twice that would probably mean no Rocker or Leiter. 

So here is hoping it either rains all day or not at all.

Edited by Valmy77

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

With the way the announcers were talking up UVa all game long- I had to keep looking up to remind myself that the score was still 2-2 for most of the game.

This.

I was listening to Craig on my phone and my Wife looks over and says to just mute them. They’re clearly pulling for one team and I’d prefer the silence. UVa does something good and they gush over it. UT does something good and they talk about how UVa should have done something different and that they’ll make the adjustments needed for next time. 

UVa short stop is fucking good and kept them in the game imo. Good luck in the future, kid. 

Now, let’s go confirm why MSU’s anxiety is up. We’re winning our next two games.  🤘🏼

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Droopy said:

This.

I was listening to Craig on my phone and my Wife looks over and says to just mute them. They’re clearly pulling for one team and I’d prefer the silence. UVa does something good and they gush over it. UT does something good and they talk about how UVa should have done something different and that they’ll make the adjustments needed for next time. 

You didn't know that UT was "gifted" everything in the season up until now? 

That LSU series in 2009 made me nauseous. I thought our team deserved credit, as Texas was #1 and had won the 2002 and 2005 titles but listening to that series one would think we were total dogshit and not worthy to sniff the illustrious jocks of the LSU Tigers. I don't listen to the national ESPN commentators anymore after that. You don't have to kiss our ass but at least give deserved and earned respect. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, troph said:

Yeah the whole losers bracket is brutal on pitching staffs isn’t as bad as prior formats but it’s right now that it catches up. Time to take our lump and take them on.

True but team from the other losers bracket(Vandy) still got a day off before they play today.

5 minutes ago, texastough said:

Sorry if this was covered upthread but do we know who's on the bump for MSU? Is it Bednar again? 

msudawg suggested that Bednar wouldn't be asked to pitch until the second "if-necessary" game.  Of course, if we end up postponing until tomorrow, then that would obviously change things.