CWS Game 14: Texas vs Mississippi State - super elimination edition

immamac

Anybody looking to fire Pierce is a fucking moron BUT what CDC should make absolutely clear to him is this.  That was your worst managerial performance of the postseason.  Worse than Sunday.  

Why?

The strength of this team in order is 1.  Pitching 2 Fielding 3. Base running. 4.  Hitting.  Sunday you mismanaged the hitting and yea that sucked but what you never under any circumstance should be ok with  is mismanaging is your primary strength and Pierce did that in spades in the 6th tonight.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, chemHORN said:

I think I like an intentional walk to that last hitter.  The only run that mattered was the one at 2nd, and it puts it in the hitters mind that it is possible to hit into a double play. 

Good point. Hard call though.

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

Who are you going to throw? Lucas Gordon who was shaky towards the end of the season and only faced one batter all tournament? Palmer Wenzel? Jared Southard who I love but has 10 innings all year? You going to throw Kolby who in 2 of his last 3 starts has looked absolutely pitiful? 

Tonight was going to be the Tristan and Cole show and Tristan couldn’t give us enough. Is what it is. Putting anyone else in the game would have just been a Hail Mary and a prayer.

Thanks. He's spewing bullshit right now. Our pen was deep but not come out of the losers bracket on top of 2 rain delays deep. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Who are you going to throw? Lucas Gordon who was shaky towards the end of the season and only faced one batter all tournament? Palmer Wenzel? Jared Southard who I love but has 10 innings all year? You going to throw Kolby who in 2 of his last 3 starts has looked absolutely pitiful? 

Tonight was going to be the Tristan and Cole show and Tristan couldn’t give us enough. Is what it is. Putting anyone else in the game would have just been a Hail Mary and a prayer.

I would only throw Tristan and CQ. But that doesn’t mean we leave Tristan out there for longer than should be. You play to win the game and that meant pulling the plug. People are acting like we had no other choice and that’s simply untrue 

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

Anybody looking to fire Pierce is a fucking moron BUT what CDC should make absolutely clear to him is this.  That was your worst managerial performance of the postseason.  Worse than Sunday.  

Why?

The strength of this team in order is 1.  Pitching 2 Fielding 3. Base running. 4.  Hitting.  Sunday you mismanaged the hitting and yea that sucked but what you never under any circumstance should be ok with  is mismanaging is your primary strength and Pierce did that in spades in the 6th tonight.  

Im watching a live feed of the locker room and Del Conte just walked in and started reading your post to Pierce, thank God. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Thanks. He's spewing bullshit right now. Our pen was deep but not come out of the losers bracket on top of 2 rain delays deep. 

I thought you had me on ignore. I guess we need to listen more when you preach to us about how much more you know about the game than we do.

Edited by hobbes2702

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I won’t be watching the finals, but I hope when I see the results it’s Vandy.  Whistlers or not, after spending 5 days in Omaha with  trashy MSU fans I hope they never win it.

I won't be watching the finals but I hope it's all cancelled due to COVID.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Cairn Horn88 said:

Oh yea....well, just you watch.

I think we got a little too comfortable watching pitches after it worked so well for us in the regional and super regional.   We got here and watched too many first pitch fastballs down the middle, and getting to two many 2 strike counts where we were in a bad position.  We never really made an adjustment. 

23 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

First time in 47 games we have lost when leading after 6

Not sure that stat is accurate, though the announcers did their best to jinx us.  Key word being after the 6th not in the 6th.   I don't follow stats.

Just now, HenryJames said:

He’s not reliable. That’s why he stopped starting.

Well we could leave our pitchers out to give up leads because we want to ignore our roster, which is constructed for exactly this, and pretend we don’t have options. Wait we did that and people want to make and excuse that we had no other choice. My only point is that we absolutely had choices.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, chemHORN said:

I think we got a little too comfortable watching pitches after it worked so well for us in the regional and super regional.   We got here and watched too many first pitch fastballs down the middle, and getting to two many 2 strike counts where we were in a bad position.  We never really made an adjustment. 

What do you mean? It’s the entire approach to our offensive game - deep counts, get to the bullpen. Stretch the other team’s pitching because it won’t last as long as ours. That’s usually true and was true tonight except we played one more game than them. I really have no doubt Texas wins a three game set against MSU. But because of the format we played a 1st, 3rd and 1st and barely lost by two plays all three games. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, troph said:

We have a great bullpen but after Q, Witt and Nixon this MSU team gets their hits. Cole was dealing. He didn’t even throw that bad of a pitch. It was a slider dropping in the zone the kid reached and got it. Shit happens.

Yeah, they can hit.  Maybe not super power, but they seem to get theirs when they need them.

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Well we could leave our pitchers out to give up leads because we want to ignore our roster, which is constructed for exactly this, and pretend we don’t have options. Wait we did that and people want to make and excuse that we had no other choice. My only point is that we absolutely had choices.

ones less likely to win the game, but sure we had other choices

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I thought you had me on ignore. I guess we need to listen more when you preach to us about how much more you know about the game than we do.

This might be a shock but I can still read your posts. And your assessment on our bullpen is pretty far off the mark here. I'm not the only one telling you this. 

Just now, WBT said:

Not so sure a sub-2 WHIP is the superlative you think it is.

I don’t think it’s a superlative. His whip is 1.5. His ERA is 3.8. The point being he can get outs. Has he struggled, yea absolutely, but giving pierce an out for his horrible pitching management while pretending we didn’t have options is just bullshit. We had options. We simply didn’t make a change soon enough and it came back to bite us. KK or Gordon could absolutely have given up  runs. My point isn’t that they were the answer. My point is that we didn’t make a change when we had to and people want to give excuses for why. Those excuses are flat

Cole was fine. In the 10th maybe not. That slider wasn’t that bad and the HBP was a freak thing. The kid said he was looking for it. Shit happens. Cole was dealing. We had our chance in the 9th we didn’t bring him home. Shit happens again.  Now leaving Stevens in to let them tie it up, yeah that was totally on Pierce.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

This might be a shock but I can still read your posts. And your assessment on our bullpen is pretty far off the mark here. I'm not the only one telling you this. 

This won’t shock anyone but you don’t understand the point. Continue being a sanctimonious douchebag who apparently is the most knowledgeable baseball/basketball/soccer mind we have.

Just now, troph said:

Cole was fine. In the 10th maybe not. That slider wasn’t that bad and the HBP was a freak thing. The kid said he was looking for it. Shit happens. Cole was dealing. We had our chance in the 9th we didn’t bring him home. Shit happens again. 

Cole wasn’t the problem. Leaving Tristan in was.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Sorry. It is better for our program that one of the other top programs win it. Regardless of how toothless and redneck their grads are.

Sorry I left out a word here. It is better if one of the other top programs NOT win it. But I presume everything else I said makes that obvious.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

The difference today was the bullpen. Simms probably is the best closer there is, and unfortunately for us, he was  not having an off day. When they brought in Simms with the game tied, I had a bad feeling we wouldn't be able to score again. Cole pitched well enough but he is no match for Simms. Big time closers win you championships.

This.  Only hope was to match 0's until Simms tired.  Cole almost did it.  One mistake - HBP - bit us.  

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

I'll say this, after the offensive shitshow in the BIg XII tourney and Sunday against Bednar 1.0, I was mighty afraid we'd 2 and Q.

So, I guess it's gravy to get as far as we did.

Yeah I was worried going 0-2 would become Pierce's thing if he started 0-4.

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

I don’t think it’s a superlative. His whip is 1.5. His ERA is 3.8. The point being he can get outs. Has he struggled, yea absolutely, but giving pierce an out for his horrible pitching management while pretending we didn’t have options is just bullshit. We had options. We simply didn’t make a change soon enough and it came back to bite us. KK or Gordon could absolutely have given up  runs. My point isn’t that they were the answer. My point is that we didn’t make a change when we had to and people want to give excuses for why. Those excuses are flat

So your solution was to throw a guy who didn’t look good to finish the season and faced 1 batter all tournament in Lucas Gordon or Kolby who hadn’t made it out of the 2nd inning in 2 of his 3 previous starts.

Sure he puts somebody who has never been in that moment and they succeed and he looks like a genius! Or they get lit the fuck up and everybody is calling him a moron. You dance with the ones that brung ya and tonight we danced for 8 1/3 innings with the ones that brung us and Mississippi State turned off the music. 

Damn. Tough loss.
But a great series and a great season overall.
Hats off to MSU, [mention=2729]msudawg[/mention], and other Bulldog fans. Y'all have a very good team. Good pitching and solid hitting--tough to get out and seem even tougher with two strikes. I'll be pulling for y'all versus Vandy.

Thank you.
Lets meet up and play any soon.

#HailState

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Sorry I left out a word here. It is better if one of the other top programs NOT win it. But I presume everything else I said makes that obvious.

I still can’t pull for the core SEC teams I’m sorry. 

aggy on texags being so humble:

"I think they were just fine, but to an extent they "Big 12'd" their way to a gaudy record and a great RPI. The 5-6 record vs. the SEC was good, but they lost to some baaaad teams - BYU, Houston, A&M, WVU (x2) - along the way. They were handed possibly the easiest regional and definitely got the easiest super regional.

Great season, no doubt, but they caught break, after break, after break all season long."

Fuck you aggy.

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

So your solution was to throw a guy who didn’t look good to finish the season and faced 1 batter all tournament in Lucas Gordon or Kolby who hadn’t made it out of the 2nd inning in 2 of his 3 previous starts.

Sure he puts somebody who has never been in that moment and they succeed and he looks like a genius! Or they get lit the fuck up and everybody is calling him a moron. You dance with the ones that brung ya and tonight we danced for 8 1/3 innings with the ones that brung us and Mississippi State turned off the music. 

No my solution was do what we did before Tristan put multiple guys on base and not give our coach a fake excuse for not making a change. Which is the point I’ve been making this entire time.

Edited by hobbes2702

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

This won’t shock anyone but you don’t understand the point. Continue being a sanctimonious douchebag who apparently is the most knowledgeable baseball/basketball/soccer mind we have.

Lmfao. I've never pretended to know more about soccer or baseball than plenty of folks here. Especially baseball. But you have completely moved the goalposts from your initial take about our bullpen. Just like you move goalposts in any NBA discussion.